BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

Will the MTA have a dedicated fleet for the S79 SBS anymore, once the remaining hybrids are booted off of Staten Island?

Truth be told there's no need for a dedicated fleet since they used regular buses now anyway 

6432 and 6473 are still kicking it. They were out this morning on the Q27 LTD and Q46 LTD respectively (just like yesterday evening).

6432 actually runs nice and doesn't sound like it's struggling like the rest of the First gens. Although 6473 definitely has a shot battery. 

Has yukon just not been cleaning their express bus floors? 2554 has these white smears all over the floor that i swear look like faint salt stains. I mean the bus is overall comfortable (suspension is ass but I guess the roads will do that...) but i feel like its only saving grace is that it has only been around for close to half a decade... I tried 2223 late last week and even that was cleaner than 2554.

21 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@Lil 57 @BM5 via Woodhaven Numbers up for weekday/weekend. Multiply by approximately 3 for all routes except the SIM9 (which started later so multiply by 4)

So the SIM2 had an average of almost 600 weekend riders and got cut. SMH. That's more riders than the X28 on weekends.

(MTA) Bus had a 4.4% increase on express bus ridership. That's impressive!

Edited by Lil 57

On 7/13/2019 at 11:46 AM, Lil 57 said:

Here's a image so you can see what I'm talking about.

Museum of sex again????

Anyone remember those pink and white Wendy Williams ads back in 2009-2010ish? I wish we can get cool and flashy ads on buses like those again.... The Vim Vixen and Fox News ads the buses got last year were trash looking (in my opinion).

Hopefully nice companies pay for bus ads SOON!

3 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

So the SIM2 had an average of almost 600 weekend riders and got cut. SMH. That's more riders than the X28 on weekends.

(MTA) Bus had a 4.4% increase on express bus ridership. That's impressive!

Surprising when the @Via Garibaldi 8 crew has logged all sorts of MIAs and late buses that would piss anyone off into using anything BUT the MTA.

Another clear example that the books are cooked.

Stick a fork in -- this puppy's done.

Irick's going out in a blaze of glory. (Counting his pension on all your current and future Metrocard scans.)

Edited by DetSMART45

I'm not surprised that the stats decreased again on a lot of routes. The (MTA) is lenient and they just don't care about the system enough. Just too many things that are allowed to happen and nothing gets corrected until the issue is big and in their face.

It makes no sense that farebeating had to get so bad that you now are cracking down on it. It makes no sense that I have to wait 20+ minutes during the 2pm hour during the weekdays for a Q25/Q34 bus to take me to Jamaica, which is suppose to come every 6 mins. It makes no sense that Lexington Ave bus lines have a bus lane but it's not even strictly enforced. It was only until now when they decide that they are going to paint it and make it strictly bus only. Why wasn't this done years ago. The M101/102/103 are far from what I call reliable routes and they been like that for a long time. Then you have SBS routes that are suppose to be inspected by eagle team members and they rarely do that. You also have a bunch of outdated routes that underperform and don't serve the current demographics like Q31 and quite frankly most of the N/S Manhattan routes). It took all the way to the late 2010s and early 2020s to finally  get them to study the routes to eventually redesign them. So like I always say, the (MTA) causes most of the problems they have, and that's why people are flocking to other modes of transportations faster than ever. 

11 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I'm not surprised that the stats decreased again on a lot of routes. The (MTA) is lenient and they just don't care about the system enough. Just too many things that are allowed to happen and nothing gets corrected until the issue is big and in their face.

It makes no sense that farebeating had to get so bad that you now are cracking down on it. It makes no sense that I have to wait 20+ minutes during the 2pm hour during the weekdays for a Q25/Q34 bus to take me to Jamaica, which is suppose to come every 6 mins. It makes no sense that Lexington Ave bus lines have a bus lane but it's not even strictly enforced. It was only until now when they decide that they are going to paint it and make it strictly bus only. Why wasn't this done years ago. The M101/102/103 are far from what I call reliable routes and they been like that for a long time. Then you have SBS routes that are suppose to be inspected by eagle team members and they rarely do that. You also have a bunch of outdated routes that underperform and don't serve the current demographics like Q31 and quite frankly most of the N/S Manhattan routes). It took all the way to the late 2010s and early 2020s to finally  get them to study the routes to eventually redesign them. So like I always say, the (MTA) causes most of the problems they have, and that's why people are flocking to other modes of transportations faster than ever. 

Amen, bro, amen.

Busiest DDOT route used to be that way with bunching galore, now it's a very rare occurrence -- and it's just like your MTA routes, with pick-up/drop-off at 98% of the stops the entire length.

All about "attitude" all around -- farebeating is tolerated, bus operators don't care because they're getting paid, supervisors look the other way, all the complacency and the "not my job"-syndrome, even when practically everything nowadays centers around customers and retaining them. "Works" at the MTA because, for lack of a better phrase, "they're too big to fail."

Let me tell ya, pre-bankruptcy when the DDOT routes got HACKED to death (and  then through bankruptcy), customers simply WALKED AWAY -- and it wasn't until Mayor Duggan (who actually ran a bus system--SMART) came in, KNEW how important buses were to a vibrant city, and ADMITTED PUBLICLY how people were let down for things to change. Brought in his successor at SMART to right the system, and made it a PRIORITY that changes WERE going to happen.

There's absolutely no excuse for what you're describing to occur, especially at 2pm on a weekday (surmising).

Until the MTA simply implodes and someone with REAL experience comes in, it's sad to say but this cycle is not going to end.

Today, over 85,000 people a weekday (on average) use DDOT. A mere 4 years ago, it was under half that. That's what happens when the public knows they can depend, once again, on their bus system. (And once you factor in the minor population gains during that time, it's practically ALL from the same residents from 4 years ago to today.)

11 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It makes no sense that farebeating had to get so bad that you now are cracking down on it.....

It makes even less sense that it isn't even being done for the sake of seriously wanting to right any wrongdoing either.....

You know this is all a dog & pony show when express bus riders are being targeted for farebeating.

Why are some local routes that have limited stop portions considered local routes? I'm thinking of the Q35, which runs limited in Brooklyn and the Q66, which makes limited stops along 21st Street.

Edited by Lil 57

17 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Why are some local routes that have limited stop portions considered local routes? I'm thinking of the Q35, which runs limited in Brooklyn and the Q66, which makes limited stops along 21st Street.

Because its not a limited route, it's just designed to not stop in those areas. 

15 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Because its not a limited route, it's just designed to not stop in those areas. 

But other limited routes operate non stop or make few stops in one area and then all local stops to the end. I can see why the Q66 might not be called a limited because 21st Street is a small portion of the route, but the Q35 has a much larger limited stop portion.

6 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

But other limited routes operate non stop or make few stops in one area and then all local stops to the end. I can see why the Q66 might not be called a limited because 21st Street is a small portion of the route, but the Q35 has a much larger limited stop portion.

Depends on what else is serving it, the Q35 is not called a limited because its designed to get people from the Rockaways to the Flatbush Junction. Its a local route, but when it gets to Brooklyn its only gonna stop at major transfer points and places of interest. Let the other Brooklyn routes take care of the local riders. The Q66 I'm not familiar with but I assume it's for the same reason. The limiteds in Staten Island have local counterparts. For example S98 has the S48. The S93 is called a limited because it makes limited stops on half of Victory and its a limited S53 from Bay Ridge to Clove/Victory. 

These Q44 B/O’s drive like they fix roads...LOUSY.

I’ve counted at least five lights this guy shouldacouldawoulda made it past, if not for everything in the universe getting in the way here on Main Street.

Edited by Axis

35 minutes ago, Axis said:

These Q44 B/O’s drive like they fix roads...LOUSY.

I’ve counted at least five lights this guy shouldacouldawoulda made it past, if not for everything in the universe getting in the way here on Main Street.

How bout this. Have you consider that the driver could be under observation or for the fact he or she may be running HOT 🥵.

Sometimes, we have to take account that the driver is getting you to your destination in a safe manner that doesn’t consist of running red lights. We are in a age called Vision Zero. Even bus drivers get slapped for reckless driving violations too. 

[From your friendly commercial driver]

And I missed both the last Q43 bus & the last (F) train at the same time here at Sutphin/Hillside for the next 30 minutes, thus making me miss the last Q114 bus for the next hour.

Can we PLEASE just have a one seat ride bus between Bronx/Five Towns? (or at least extend the Q113/114 to Sutphin/Hillside)

P.S. f**k outta here with your ‘get a car’ suggestions

1 hour ago, Axis said:

And I missed both the last Q43 bus & the last (F) train at the same time here at Sutphin/Hillside for the next 30 minutes, thus making me miss the last Q114 bus for the next hour.

Can we PLEASE just have a one seat ride bus between Bronx/Five Towns? (or at least extend the Q113/114 to Sutphin/Hillside)

P.S. f**k outta here with your ‘get a car’ suggestions

You could have stayed on the Q44 to Jamaica Center, and tried your luck there. 

Honestly, if getting to your job is such a hassle, consider looking for a job either closer to you or easily accessible for you (or move closer to where you currently work). 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven