Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It makes no sense that farebeating had to get so bad that you now are cracking down on it.....

It makes even less sense that it isn't even being done for the sake of seriously wanting to right any wrongdoing either.....

You know this is all a dog & pony show when express bus riders are being targeted for farebeating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Why are some local routes that have limited stop portions considered local routes? I'm thinking of the Q35, which runs limited in Brooklyn and the Q66, which makes limited stops along 21st Street.

Edited by Lil 57

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Why are some local routes that have limited stop portions considered local routes? I'm thinking of the Q35, which runs limited in Brooklyn and the Q66, which makes limited stops along 21st Street.

Because its not a limited route, it's just designed to not stop in those areas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

Funny thing is I'm looking at it rn its turned off near Tillary  St along the B67 area I guess it will start service on the B54 

That is correct. Fresh Pond’s allotment is officially complete. I believe bus was delivered on Monday. 

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Because its not a limited route, it's just designed to not stop in those areas. 

But other limited routes operate non stop or make few stops in one area and then all local stops to the end. I can see why the Q66 might not be called a limited because 21st Street is a small portion of the route, but the Q35 has a much larger limited stop portion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

But other limited routes operate non stop or make few stops in one area and then all local stops to the end. I can see why the Q66 might not be called a limited because 21st Street is a small portion of the route, but the Q35 has a much larger limited stop portion.

Depends on what else is serving it, the Q35 is not called a limited because its designed to get people from the Rockaways to the Flatbush Junction. Its a local route, but when it gets to Brooklyn its only gonna stop at major transfer points and places of interest. Let the other Brooklyn routes take care of the local riders. The Q66 I'm not familiar with but I assume it's for the same reason. The limiteds in Staten Island have local counterparts. For example S98 has the S48. The S93 is called a limited because it makes limited stops on half of Victory and its a limited S53 from Bay Ridge to Clove/Victory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

These Q44 B/O’s drive like they fix roads...LOUSY.

I’ve counted at least five lights this guy shouldacouldawoulda made it past, if not for everything in the universe getting in the way here on Main Street.

Edited by Axis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Axis said:

These Q44 B/O’s drive like they fix roads...LOUSY.

I’ve counted at least five lights this guy shouldacouldawoulda made it past, if not for everything in the universe getting in the way here on Main Street.

How bout this. Have you consider that the driver could be under observation or for the fact he or she may be running HOT 🥵.

Sometimes, we have to take account that the driver is getting you to your destination in a safe manner that doesn’t consist of running red lights. We are in a age called Vision Zero. Even bus drivers get slapped for reckless driving violations too. 

[From your friendly commercial driver]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I missed both the last Q43 bus & the last (F) train at the same time here at Sutphin/Hillside for the next 30 minutes, thus making me miss the last Q114 bus for the next hour.

Can we PLEASE just have a one seat ride bus between Bronx/Five Towns? (or at least extend the Q113/114 to Sutphin/Hillside)

P.S. f**k outta here with your ‘get a car’ suggestions

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Axis said:

And I missed both the last Q43 bus & the last (F) train at the same time here at Sutphin/Hillside for the next 30 minutes, thus making me miss the last Q114 bus for the next hour.

Can we PLEASE just have a one seat ride bus between Bronx/Five Towns? (or at least extend the Q113/114 to Sutphin/Hillside)

P.S. f**k outta here with your ‘get a car’ suggestions

You could have stayed on the Q44 to Jamaica Center, and tried your luck there. 

Honestly, if getting to your job is such a hassle, consider looking for a job either closer to you or easily accessible for you (or move closer to where you currently work). 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've piled up some of the stats (with a few notes) for NYCT routes, and as expected, were terrible. There are some rays of hope (like the B24, and the weekend X28). Here are the highest increases and decreases in ridership (percentage-wise):

Weekday Ridership

Bronx

  • Highest Increase: Bx20 (+7.8%)
  • Highest Decrease: Bx41 (-13.2%)

Brooklyn

  • Highest Increase: B24 (+6.8%)* 
  • Highest Decrease: B7 (-12.4%)

*One of three Brooklyn routes to increase, the others being the B64 & B70

Manhattan

  • Highest Increase: M23 (+3.5%)
  • Highest Decrease: M8 (-14.2%)

Queens

  • Highest Increase: Q32 (+6.8%)+
  • Highest Decrease: Q26 (-10.4%)

+One of two Queens routes to increase, the other being the Q48.

Staten Island

  • Highest Increase: N/A
  • Highest Decrease: S54 (-15.3%)

Express

  • Highest Increase: X11/SIM32 (+5.4%)
  • Highest Decrease: X27/37 (-3.3%)

 

Weekend Ridership

Bronx

  • Highest Increase: Bx6 (+3.4%)^ 
  • Highest Decrease: Bx27 (-14.2%)

^Only Bronx route to have an increase in this category

Brooklyn

  • Highest Increase: B32 (+11.4%) 
  • Highest Decrease: B7 (-15.3%)

Manhattan

  • Highest Increase: M12 (+9.7%)
  • Highest Decrease: M35 (-18.6%)

Queens

  • Highest Increase: Q32 (+2.3%)*** 
  • Highest Decrease: Q55 (-7.9%)

***One of two Queens routes to increase, the other being the Q16.

Staten Island

  • Highest Increase: N/A
  • Highest Decrease: S76 (-11.1%)

Express

  • Highest Increase: X28 (+18.3%)
  • Highest Decrease: X27/37 (-2.7%)

 

Annual Ridership

Bronx

  • Highest Increase: Bx20 (+8.2%)
  • Highest Decrease: Bx34 (-14.7%)

Brooklyn

  • Highest Increase: B24 (+6.9%)^* 
  • Highest Decrease: B7 (-12.7%)

^*One of two Brooklyn routes to increase, the other being the B64.

Manhattan

  • Highest Increase: M12 (+4.5%)
  • Highest Decrease: M8 (-12.9%)

Queens

  • Highest Increase: Q32 (+5.8%)+++ 
  • Highest Decrease: Q26 (-10.1%)

+++One of two Queens routes to increase, the other being the Q48.
 

Staten Island

  • Highest Increase: N/A
  • Highest Decrease: S54 (-15.0%)

Express

  • Highest Increase: X11/SIM32 (+6.0%)
  • Highest Decrease: X27/37 (-3.0%)

I haven't checked the MTA Bus Company routes yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn’t the mta found out that their employees have been abusing the system by getting benefits, retirement plans, and having conflict of interests? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Highest Increase: Q32 (+5.8%)+++ 

The moment I read that I saw 4 Q32 buses bunching on Queens Blvd.

Why?

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those weekend q32 increases are probably because the damn 7 has some form of track work going on so frequently. Especially when they run manhattan bound trains express, the 32s fill up very quickly, sometimes to the door, from 74 street

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

How bout this. Have you consider that the driver could be under observation or for the fact he or she may be running HOT 🥵.

Sometimes, we have to take account that the driver is getting you to your destination in a safe manner that doesn’t consist of running red lights. We are in a age called Vision Zero. Even bus drivers get slapped for reckless driving violations too. 

[From your friendly commercial driver]

There's also the issue of abysmal traffic, something that route is constantly subjected to...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Lex said:

There's also the issue of abysmal traffic, something that route is constantly subjected to...

Yes and that is correct also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

How bout this. Have you consider that the driver could be under observation or for the fact he or she may be running HOT 🥵.

Sometimes, we have to take account that the driver is getting you to your destination in a safe manner that doesn’t consist of running red lights. We are in a age called Vision Zero. Even bus drivers get slapped for reckless driving violations too. 

[From your friendly commercial driver]

How in the bloomin' hell can any local bus operator in NYC be running hot or get slapped for reckless driving when the average bus speed can't even get into the double-digits? Especially since @Axis was referring to the Main Street corridor, one of the many 'parking lots' in Queens? I'm taking a big risk in making this assumption, but I don't think the OP was on a slow bus at 2:17 am when deciding to air their grievance -- most likely it was 2:17 PM.

We've all been on buses where the operator isn't even approaching a stale green and decides to poke along, leading to getting caught in the red-light cycle from then on down the road. That is what I think was happening in this incident.

A major problem is that other drivers have no "respect" for the bus. Even though there's been a good generation of Detroiters that have been raised within the car culture (whereas previous generations would primarily rely on the buses to get around), there's still a residual overall respect for the buses within Detroit. DDOT drivers of the 70s-80s-90s were taught (unofficially, but "officially") that the buses owned the roads -- and the public basically followed that thinking as well. Part of the reason was that if your hooptie bit the dust, you knew you'd be relying on the buses to get you around. Plus the fact that you knew you weren't going to win in a bus-and-your-little-car game of chicken.

Even today along some of the busiest Detroit streets, when a DDOT bus is looking like it's going to have to slide through a stale green or late yellow/red light because it's going to pull-into a stop, people cede the roadway. Plus DDOT operators have the police on their side: One time, an operator had the right signal on before going through an intersection (going eastbound) on a late yellow (to pull in for a stop with about 8 people waiting, plus others going to get off). Woman westbound decides to slide through light doing a left turn in front of the bus on that yellow (just missed clipping her ass). We get through the light and into the stop, DPD comes through intersection from the north before a full green, flips overheads on, pulls woman over. We all watch while people boarding finish paying their fare, and you could just tell that chick was not going to have a good day from that point on.

  • LMAO! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I've piled up some of the stats (with a few notes) for NYCT routes, and as expected, were terrible. There are some rays of hope (like the B24, and the weekend X28). Here are the highest increases and decreases in ridership (percentage-wise):

...

Weekend Ridership

Bronx

  • Highest Increase: Bx6 (+3.4%)^ 
  • Highest Decrease: Bx27 (-14.2%)

^Only Bronx route to have an increase in this category

Brooklyn

  • Highest Increase: B32 (+11.4%) 
  • Highest Decrease: B7 (-15.3%)

Manhattan

  • Highest Increase: M12 (+9.7%)
  • Highest Decrease: M35 (-18.6%)

Queens

  • Highest Increase: Q32 (+2.3%)*** 
  • Highest Decrease: Q55 (-7.9%)

***One of two Queens routes to increase, the other being the Q16.

Staten Island

  • Highest Increase: N/A
  • Highest Decrease: S76 (-11.1%)

Express

  • Highest Increase: X28 (+18.3%)
  • Highest Decrease: X27/37 (-2.7%)

 

Just singling out weekend figures for a minute, because this is very troubling ... and telling.

Wasn't that long ago (maybe 3-4 years or so), but weekend service was increased -- notably in the Bronx -- because people were packing the buses especially on Saturdays, and it was quite a surprise to the MTA. It's no real surprise that the Bx6 had an increase, but for it to be the only bright-spot shows that in just a few years' time, the MTA has chased those Bronx customers away.

It's probably too soon to tell how Byford's plan to increase off-peak and weekend service has fared (on the B17, B65, Q6 and Q69), but if the Bronx is an indicator, it's not looking like that part of Fast Forward is going to be expanded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DetSMART45 said:

Just singling out weekend figures for a minute, because this is very troubling ... and telling.

Wasn't that long ago (maybe 3-4 years or so), but weekend service was increased -- notably in the Bronx -- because people were packing the buses especially on Saturdays, and it was quite a surprise to the MTA. It's no real surprise that the Bx6 had an increase, but for it to be the only bright-spot shows that in just a few years' time, the MTA has chased those Bronx customers away.

It's probably too soon to tell how Byford's plan to increase off-peak and weekend service has fared (on the B17, B65, Q6 and Q69), but if the Bronx is an indicator, it's not looking like that part of Fast Forward is going to be expanded.

 

Or farebeating in the bronx has become worse lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

29m3uja.jpg

I need a caption for this please 😂😂.  Why must cars try to fight the bus. These cars have no respect for buses. SMH. 

EDIT:  bus is 4064 out of Fresh Pond 

Edited by Future ENY OP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

29m3uja.jpg

I need a caption for this please 😂😂.  Why must cars try to fight the bus. These cars have no respect for buses. SMH. 

That must be by CUNY City Tech in Downtown Brooklyn. I am quite familiar with the traffic situation along Jay Street since I go to college there (I am currently off from school until late August). A lot of times when coming to/from Namm Building or the new Academic Complex for classes (My non-major classes have always been in the Namm Hall), I have seen cars park in the bus stop area, forcing buses stopping at Tillary Street/Jay Street (in front of the main entrance, which is closed for construction as of this time) to stop Far from the curb. One time, I had to board the bus from the street. Not to mention that during the afternoon hours, there is sometimes a traffic hurdle going from Tillary Street, through the area pictured, all the way to Fulton Street and Livingston Street.

Caption for that photo should be “Downtown Brooklyn Bus Disrespect”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

29m3uja.jpg

I need a caption for this please 😂😂.  Why must cars try to fight the bus. These cars have no respect for buses. SMH. 

I’m in that area right now! I’m in the 300 Jay Street building. There was tons of traffic on my way there.... Now I see why.

What unit is that and which route was it operating on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Snorunts said:

I’m in that area right now! I’m in the 300 Jay Street building. There was tons of traffic on my way there.... Now I see why.

What unit is that and which route was it operating on?

B57// bus 4064 // FP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

I’m in that area right now! I’m in the 300 Jay Street building. There was tons of traffic on my way there.... Now I see why.

The 300 Jay Street Building is CUNY New York City College of Technology’s main building (City Tech) and as a student who attends the college as a full time student, I can tell you there is always going to be traffic in the afternoon.

FYI, are you also a City Tech student as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.