BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

24 minutes ago, Calvin said:

On express buses, for example, if a SIM1 to the Transit Center has all seats full with a few standees at the last few pickup stops in Manhattan, are they allow to stand on the bus or have to wait for the next one during the rush hour?

If you saw the SIM10 during the early days you would have your answer lol

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this is probably a really dumb question, but is there a reason why articulated buses don't have the wheels in the articulated section, similar to how some trams have the bogies in the articulation themselves?

M-Siemens-SFMTA-Siemens.jpg

(Also, does anyone know where I can find good interior shots of a Select Bus Service bus? I want to use some for a blog post.)

3 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

They could also end up getting LFS Buses from Tuskegee Airmen Depot as well once they get their XD60s from MTA Bus. I attached a spreadsheet below that shows the potential assignments of the fleet to make service:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_B8Hu1hRaZ4hjToejxvy-FDPlBGSxEn3k_sW1-Vfc64

Note that it may be somewhat inaccurate due to not taking into account buses lost in accidents, buses not ordered yet, etc.

So is East New York isn’t getting Artics ?

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

On express buses, for example, if a SIM1 to the Transit Center has all seats full with a few standees at the last few pickup stops in Manhattan, are they allow to stand on the bus or have to wait for the next one during the rush hour?

2 hours ago, NBTA said:

They are allowed to stand, I remember i took an SIM26, jammed packed, and the driver allowed such standees to do what they are designed to do, stand. 

2 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

If you saw the SIM10 during the early days you would have your answer lol

Unless it changed, the actual rule is that unless it is the last bus of the day, there cannot be standees. However, that isn't really followed, partially because the B/O has a schedule to keep and will not have the time to actively take a count of seats. 

11 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Does anyone think the D60HF's will be reactivated and put back on the roster because of all these route artic conversions?

Not when a vast majority of them are off of MTA property and shredded up.

4 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Why doesn't the (MTA) follow NJT's steps and put a "Standing Room Only" sign up on the express buses when all the seats are taken?

Not even NJT follows that at times lmao.

4 hours ago, Kingjunior34 said:

So is East New York isn’t getting Artics ?

That one we're gonna have to wait on. ENY was supposed to get artics for the B15 and B82, but that's been put on hold from what I hear.

1 hour ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Right because the focus now is Bronx or Manhattan needs get there artics first before Brooklyn and I'm surprised that B44SBS is the only articulated route in Brooklyn. Meanwhile Manhattan, Bronx and Queens has a lot of artics route.

Brooklyn has two artic routes, B44 and the B35, with the B38 coming up soon. Also the B46 sbs is going artic part time in future along with the B15 and B82. We’ll just gonna have to wait and see till next summer when we have the buses come back from mta bus and when the L train construction work is completed. 

28 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

The priority now is the Q12, so East NY getting artics is on hold.

ENY isn’t ready for artics just yet. They will be next summer as the plan has always been. CS which houses the Q12 is artic ready but as of now ENY depot isn’t. That’s always been the plan since last year. Don’t worry Brooklyn will get it’s articulated routes in due time. 

21 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

ENY isn’t ready for artics just yet. They will be next summer as the plan has always been. CS which houses the Q12 is artic ready but as of now ENY depot isn’t. That’s always been the plan since last year. Don’t worry Brooklyn will get it’s articulated routes in due time. 

I’m not worried about that, and yes, I know that they will come next summer. However, I feel that the B15 EN route to go artic since the B82 SBS needs to have new blue and gold buses.

So last week while I was coming back from Midtown I took an M2 4252 and it was signed up as M2 Worth St via 5av/Bowery anyone know why? I've seen it on 2 buses already 

Edited by MHV184
Added something else

13 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Why doesn't the (MTA) follow NJT's steps and put a "Standing Room Only" sign up on the express buses when all the seats are taken?

It's not the deterrent for a potential rider to not board a bus that's SRO that one might think....

I don't blame the MTA for not having its b/o's be bothered with that...

8 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Not even NJT follows that at times lmao.

(For its actual intended purpose), it's a waste of time.... People will (and do) attempt to cram onto those MCI's anyway.... I was done when I was on a #319 one time, where dude was sitting in the walkway.... Whenever someone had to use the bathroom, he had to get up out the way (bumping into the row of seating I & some other dude was sitting in).... Highly annoying.

Ironically & personally, when I see NJT's w/ the standing room only signage, I assume that there's NO standing room on the bus.... In other words, I prepare to get flagged.

Edited by B35 via Church

4 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

How do you know?

Stuff like this happens all the time sir. I’ll give you a perfect example. Last week 7308 was working a route in the AM rush at FB. By PM rush it ended up in East New York (registered) 

Therefore, what I’m saying here is that a bus could be working AM at Yukon could easily be moved to Manhattanville before the end of the day depending on how the deliveries are coming into Yukon. 

6 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Stuff like this happens all the time sir. I’ll give you a perfect example. Last week 7308 was working a route in the AM rush at FB. By PM rush it ended up in East New York (registered) 

Therefore, what I’m saying here is that a bus could be working AM at Yukon could easily be moved to Manhattanville before the end of the day depending on how the deliveries are coming into Yukon. 

I see well thank you for that bit of information 

2 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-mta-bus-service-reductions-fall-2019-20190722-kioktgntofgldprw5gwx5ohcce-story.html

What is everyone's opinion about the article above and the changes coming in fall.

I don't agree at all with the S74/78 cuts. This shows how bad local service along Hylan Blvd can get when SBS is added to it.

The Stapleton area is also going to suffer as well on Sundays because every mode of transportation is going to run every 30 minutes.

Edited by Lil 57