BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Well. I’ll say this. For East New York lines the B15 and Q24. The Q24 is starting to be a heavily travel route. Although there’s plenty of bus bunching on the route. However, an increase is warranted. 

What I don’t like is that it’s on the expense of the B15. Taking away some of the resources from there for the Q24. If anything, the 15 needs more of the increase b/c of its travel thru a dense area of East New York and Spring Creek. 

UNRELATED:  i’m starting to have second thoughts about this B38/Q58 thing. Although the B38 is getting artics, the Q58 may or may not be an artic route b/c of its pattern in Corona. If the 58 ultimately doesn’t become artic send it back to Fresh Pond and give Grand Avenue back the B13. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

lthough the B38 is getting artics, the Q58 may or may not be an artic route b/c of its pattern in Corona. If the 58 ultimately doesn’t become artic send it back to Fresh Pond and give Grand Avenue back the B13.

A quick reminder that narrow and hard to Navigate streets do not limit the use of artics on a line. 

The B38 goes straight through the narrow area of Fulton Mall and is still getting artics.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
B38 route point out

5 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

A quick reminder that narrow and hard to Navigate streets do not limit the use of artics on a line. 

The B38 goes straight through the narrow area of Fulton Mall and is still getting artics.

That is correct and I won’t dispute that at all  

The only difference is there’s some spacing on the B38 and it’s travel path via Lafayette and Dekalb. 

Where as the Q58 it has a tight Fresh Pond Road and Corona Avenue to deal with. The last stop on 41st Avenue is also a bit problematic. However, that could be resolved by possibly moving the terminal. All I’m simply saying is that if the 58 doesn’t get artics than send it back home to FP. 

What I am also sad and pissed off of is that with paused plan of artics of B15 and B82 +SBS, I am unsure what Caitsith810 heard that causes it to be on hold. My thoughts with the B15 is that some stops of it should be shifted on elsewhere spots of Crown Heights b/c, near my high school there is alot of narrow roads and tight corners that bus cannot handle. So this is maybe why the artics for the B15 is on hold. Same with the B82 +SBS, it has some tight corners to handle. Even in Canarsie pulling away from the L train terminal(Rockaway Parkway/Glenwood), it was always congested like the Eastern Parkway and Utica Ave for both the B46/+SBS and the B17. So what I am thinking is that for the B82's Spring Creek destination side of the +SBS, it should remain. While the Bensonhurst side should have the +SBS stop shifted to the Flatlands area to get away from the congested area of Rockaway and Glenwood. Back to the B15, what I think was for the JFK destination side to have turn left on Atlantic Ave(have bus stops to plant as their new corridor), and turn right on Rochester Ave (sorry for the Crown Height residents of losing your bus stops) as to going back to their normal runs to either Spring Creek or JFK.

51 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

I'm actually glad they're putting artics on more bus routes to handle crowds better. 

But the thing is that they really don't. If the (MTA) really used artics to increase capacity, they wouldn't cut service. If you have jam packed 40 footers running every 4 minutes, having 60 footers every 6 minutes is going to be just as crowded because more people are waiting for that bus because of the lower frequency.

5 minutes ago, King Transit said:

What I am also sad and pissed off of is that with paused plan of artics of B15 and B82 +SBS, I am unsure what Caitsith810 heard that causes it to be on hold. My thoughts with the B15 is that some stops of it should be shifted on elsewhere spots of Crown Heights b/c, near my high school there is alot of narrow roads and tight corners that bus cannot handle. So this is maybe why the artics for the B15 is on hold. Same with the B82 +SBS, it has some tight corners to handle. Even in Canarsie pulling away from the L train terminal(Rockaway Parkway/Glenwood), it was always congested like the Eastern Parkway and Utica Ave for both the B46/+SBS and the B17. So what I am thinking is that for the B82's Spring Creek destination side of the +SBS, it should remain. While the Bensonhurst side should have the +SBS stop shifted to the Flatlands area to get away from the congested area of Rockaway and Glenwood. Back to the B15, what I think was for the JFK destination side to have turn left on Atlantic Ave(have bus stops to plant as their new corridor), and turn right on Rochester Ave (sorry for the Crown Height residents of losing your bus stops) as to going back to their normal runs to either Spring Creek or JFK.

Turns/Corners don't really matter for artics, they can make the turn, sometimes they can even make a corner better than a 40Fter. Artics are, 35/25, so technically, you're just driving a shorty, and the back part of the bus follows you.

2 minutes ago, King Transit said:

So I heard something  about the B54 using Artics... but it would slightly  make since but then again FP sadly cannot  handle  artics unless if they somehow enhance the depo to expand it to make it handle it but that probably  will never happen  if anything  I would say the B54 might get moved from FP or get shared with a depo like Grand since that depo is getting Artics but I can be wrong about this so I would need to look further on these routes getting artics

2 hours ago, MHV184 said:

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-mta-bus-service-reductions-fall-2019-20190722-kioktgntofgldprw5gwx5ohcce-story.html

Rush hour service on Brooklyn’s B15 and B54 buses and Manhattan’s M5 and M20 buses will also be cut — but those routes also will get bigger buses.

I wouldn’t want to read into this and say that the B15 and B54 will get artics just yet. I’m stopping short of saying that right now. 

However, if the TA decides to have the 15 and 54 converted to artic operation at its current climate than both lines would go to GA. 

42 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

4075 still has the Bronx Zoo wrap that Gun Hill gave the bus. Saw it on the M104 a few minutes ago.

A few of those Gun Hill and Kingsbridge buses have the Bronx Zoo wraps that got transferred to Flatbush and Manhattanville. It’s very rare that The Bronx and Brooklyn Divisions get driverside wraps. I would hope in the near future that the wraps the Manhattan Division get also expand to Brooklyn and the Bronx.  The Honest Tea wrap is a good example. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

2 hours ago, King Transit said:

What I am also sad and pissed off....

Blanked out after this part.

I swear sometimes you people overreact on one little @$$ thing. The B15/82 SBS conversion was never going to happen this year anyways because ENY is still being worked on for a new building for the MTA/NYCT merger plus artic conversion since last year. It was planned for 2020 ever since the (M) shuttle bus was in place (or rather after the shuttle bus wasn't needed anymore).

5 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I don't agree at all with the S74/78 cuts. This shows how bad local service along Hylan Blvd can get when SBS is added to it.

The Stapleton area is also going to suffer as well on Sundays because every mode of transportation is going to run every 30 minutes.

TA’s looking at numbers and right now it is numbers game. If the fare is not being paid. Revenue is lost and for 2 vital routes on Staten Island is pretty bad.  However, most of the island has a big fare evasion problem (didn’t want to go there) but if the fare is paid more services will operate. If not, less service.  

I guess the TA’s new philosophy is pay your fare we will run more services. If not less service and we save money. I guess also that the TA is putting Tompkinsville-Stapleton-New Brighton customers on notice. You will get decreased service until we see good revenue. 

41 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

TA’s looking at numbers and right now it is numbers game. If the fare is not being paid. Revenue is lost and for 2 vital routes on Staten Island is pretty bad.  However, most of the island has a big fare evasion problem (didn’t want to go there) but if the fare is paid more services will operate. If not, less service.  

I guess the TA’s new philosophy is pay your fare we will run more services. If not less service and we save money. I guess also that the TA is putting Tompkinsville-Stapleton-New Brighton customers on notice. You will get decreased service until we see good revenue. 

I also was thinking that. The (MTA) is punishing fare beaters by providing less service so when they get flagged, they'll think twice about fare beating. They should put up notices for riders saying something like, "We're providing less service on this line because of high fare evasion rates. Please pay your fare if you would like to see service restored/increased on this line".

18 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I also was thinking that. The (MTA) is punishing fare beaters by providing less service so when they get flagged, they'll think twice about fare beating. They should put up notices for riders saying something like, "We're providing less service on this line because of high fare evasion rates. Please pay your fare if you would like to see service restored/increased on this line".

The thing is they are not punishing the fare evading criminals. They are literally punishing paying riders.

I think having the police ride the bus is a good start. Enter through the back door, $400 ticket fine. I don’t want to hear the poverty BS

58 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

The thing is they are not punishing the fare evading criminals. They are literally punishing paying riders.

I think having the police ride the bus is a good start. Enter through the back door, $400 ticket fine. I don’t want to hear the poverty BS

Why $400?

More importantly, will those cops (who will have to increase their numbers for artics) even get the message if the driver decides to let people board through the rear doors to get the bus moving sooner?

1 hour ago, Mtatransit said:

Think of it like this, if you couldn’t pay $2.75, and a cop pulls up on you, are YOU paying the $400?

1 hour ago, Mtatransit said:

I think that there should be an offense system for fare evasion.

1st offense - $100 fine.

2nd offense - $500 fine.

3rd offense - $1000 fine and/or up to 1 year in jail. (Farebeating is a misdemeanor crime and should be treated like one.)

Talking about poverty, what ever happened to the reduced fare MetroCards for low income residents?

Edited by Lil 57

17 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I think that there should be an offense system for fare evasion.

1st offense - $100 fine.

2nd offense - $500 fine.

3rd offense - $1000 fine and/or up to 1 year in jail. (Farebeating is a misdemeanor crime and should be treated like one).

Talking about poverty, what ever happened to the reduced fare MetroCards for low income residents?

Program is still going on. However, not promoted enough. 

1 hour ago, NBTA said:

Think of it like this, if you couldn’t pay $2.75, and a cop pulls up on you, are YOU paying the $400?

Yes and no

You should be in the front paying your fare, but no more than $100+.

A system wide service is not meant to be free no matter how poor you are.

1 hour ago, NBTA said:

If I don’t have $2.75 I won’t ride the bus. If I don’t have $7 to buy food, I won’t go into Walmart and steal food. If you do, they press charges and a huge civil fine. It’s the same here. 

Maybe $400 is too much but we need enough to act as a deterrent. In Toronto it’s $325 in Canadian dollars.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

Why $400?

More importantly, will those cops (who will have to increase their numbers for artics) even get the message if the driver decides to let people board through the rear doors to get the bus moving sooner?

The $400 is designed to be a deterrent. Maybe it is too high but if you get caught more than once or twice I definitely think it’s fair.

The back door says no authorized entry. An MTA driver telling you to enter thru the back door is “authorized”.