Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

41 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

TA’s looking at numbers and right now it is numbers game. If the fare is not being paid. Revenue is lost and for 2 vital routes on Staten Island is pretty bad.  However, most of the island has a big fare evasion problem (didn’t want to go there) but if the fare is paid more services will operate. If not, less service.  

I guess the TA’s new philosophy is pay your fare we will run more services. If not less service and we save money. I guess also that the TA is putting Tompkinsville-Stapleton-New Brighton customers on notice. You will get decreased service until we see good revenue. 

I also was thinking that. The (MTA) is punishing fare beaters by providing less service so when they get flagged, they'll think twice about fare beating. They should put up notices for riders saying something like, "We're providing less service on this line because of high fare evasion rates. Please pay your fare if you would like to see service restored/increased on this line".

• Thumbs Up 3

18 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I also was thinking that. The (MTA) is punishing fare beaters by providing less service so when they get flagged, they'll think twice about fare beating. They should put up notices for riders saying something like, "We're providing less service on this line because of high fare evasion rates. Please pay your fare if you would like to see service restored/increased on this line".

The thing is they are not punishing the fare evading criminals. They are literally punishing paying riders.

I think having the police ride the bus is a good start. Enter through the back door, $400 ticket fine. I don’t want to hear the poverty BS

58 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

The thing is they are not punishing the fare evading criminals. They are literally punishing paying riders.

I think having the police ride the bus is a good start. Enter through the back door, $400 ticket fine. I don’t want to hear the poverty BS

Why $400?

More importantly, will those cops (who will have to increase their numbers for artics) even get the message if the driver decides to let people board through the rear doors to get the bus moving sooner?

1 hour ago, Mtatransit said:

Think of it like this, if you couldn’t pay $2.75, and a cop pulls up on you, are YOU paying the $400?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mtatransit said:

I think that there should be an offense system for fare evasion.

1st offense - $100 fine.

2nd offense - $500 fine.

3rd offense - $1000 fine and/or up to 1 year in jail. (Farebeating is a misdemeanor crime and should be treated like one.)

Talking about poverty, what ever happened to the reduced fare MetroCards for low income residents?

Edited by Lil 57

17 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

1st offense - $100 fine.

2nd offense - $500 fine.

3rd offense - $1000 fine and/or up to 1 year in jail. (Farebeating is a misdemeanor crime and should be treated like one).

Talking about poverty, what ever happened to the reduced fare MetroCards for low income residents?

Program is still going on. However, not promoted enough. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NBTA said:

Think of it like this, if you couldn’t pay $2.75, and a cop pulls up on you, are YOU paying the $400?

Yes and no

You should be in the front paying your fare, but no more than $100+.

A system wide service is not meant to be free no matter how poor you are.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

1 hour ago, NBTA said:

If I don’t have $2.75 I won’t ride the bus. If I don’t have $7 to buy food, I won’t go into Walmart and steal food. If you do, they press charges and a huge civil fine. It’s the same here. 

Maybe $400 is too much but we need enough to act as a deterrent. In Toronto it’s $325 in Canadian dollars.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

Why $400?

More importantly, will those cops (who will have to increase their numbers for artics) even get the message if the driver decides to let people board through the rear doors to get the bus moving sooner?

The $400 is designed to be a deterrent. Maybe it is too high but if you get caught more than once or twice I definitely think it’s fair.

The back door says no authorized entry. An MTA driver telling you to enter thru the back door is “authorized”. 

With the M5 apparently getting artics this fall. Does that raise a possibility that the XE60 might be split between Quill and Manhattanville. Yes I am aware Manhattanville isn't artic ready but that begs the question as to why the M5 would get artics.

3 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

With the M5 apparently getting artics this fall. Does that raise a possibility that the XE60 might be split between Quill and Manhattanville. Yes I am aware Manhattanville isn't artic ready but that begs the question as to why the M5 would get artics.

Where did you find this information?

19 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

M5 is not slated to get artics. That transit reporter at the Daily News is a real jerk and doesn’t do research correctly. Again, I have big concerns about an artic running down Madison/5th Avenues. The bigger issue is that there’s no depot currently than Manhattanville to have the M5 and don’t tell me MCH or TU could have the route cuz both depots will ruin that route. 

The real only way to have balance in the Upper Manhattan Division is to re-activate Amsterdam. Build a special depot for the museum buses. 

• Upvote 3

Let's make this clear:

Do not trust any information that comes out of any news outlet or another's mouth unless it was revealed by a reliable source or person (like @East New York or TTMG to name a few)

• Upvote 1

M5 out of MQ, which already has the M55, is not impossible to imagine. Keep in mind the former-M5-now-M55 route ran artics from roughly 42nd and 5th to SF during the summer in 2014/2015 if I remember right as part of the supplemental 1 train service. It's been done before and could be done again. With the current stub end of the M5 not far from Quill, it even makes sense in terms of deadheads. 

12 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I don't agree at all with the S74/78 cuts. This shows how bad local service along Hylan Blvd can get when SBS is added to it.

The Stapleton area is also going to suffer as well on Sundays because every mode of transportation is going to run every 30 minutes.

Service was initially increased when the S79 became SBS. I know the span of the Richmond Avenue short-turns was increased and the S59 received a few early-morning short-turns from the SI Mall to Eltingville.

10 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

But the thing is that they really don't. If the (MTA) really used artics to increase capacity, they wouldn't cut service. If you have jam packed 40 footers running every 4 minutes, having 60 footers every 6 minutes is going to be just as crowded because more people are waiting for that bus because of the lower frequency.

Depends on the timeframe. Off-peak is 5 standards for 4 artics and overnight is a 1:1 replacement

7 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

TA’s looking at numbers and right now it is numbers game. If the fare is not being paid. Revenue is lost and for 2 vital routes on Staten Island is pretty bad.  However, most of the island has a big fare evasion problem (didn’t want to go there) but if the fare is paid more services will operate. If not, less service.  

I guess the TA’s new philosophy is pay your fare we will run more services. If not less service and we save money. I guess also that the TA is putting Tompkinsville-Stapleton-New Brighton customers on notice. You will get decreased service until we see good revenue. 

The short-turns really don't carry that much. I highly doubt it was fare evasion-related. The S46 is getting an increase for crying out loud. 

4 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

1st offense - $100 fine.

2nd offense - $500 fine.

3rd offense - $1000 fine and/or up to 1 year in jail. (Farebeating is a misdemeanor crime and should be treated like one.)

The guidelines are really low and you have to be really poor to qualify. I'll put it to you this way, I have a side job on the weekend and that job alone is way over the guidelines for qualifying.

On 7/21/2019 at 2:21 AM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Unless it changed, the actual rule is that unless it is the last bus of the day, there cannot be standees. However, that isn't really followed, partially because the B/O has a schedule to keep and will not have the time to actively take a count of seats. 

That was never the case. As long as there is space behind the white line the procedure was always to offer the bus to the passengers and let them decide if they want to board. Ask any dispatcher or higher-level manager (and I've been in constant contact with them since the SIM system started)

On 7/20/2019 at 11:47 PM, Calvin said:

On express buses, for example, if a SIM1 to the Transit Center has all seats full with a few standees at the last few pickup stops in Manhattan, are they allow to stand on the bus or have to wait for the next one during the rush hour?

As long as there is space in front of the white line.

I thought the guideline for express was to get a whole seat load. I never remembered a rule banning standees. 

Just now, MysteriousBtrain said:

Let's make this clear:

Do not trust any information that comes out of any news outlet or another's mouth unless it was revealed by a reliable source or person (like @East New York or TTMG to name a few)

#ACCURATE. also to add senior moderators of NYCTF. 

I am pumped for the B38 to start using articulated buses, but I can’t stop thinking how they will manage on Fulton Street. There’s already tons of bus chaos on that VERY NARROW street; with articulated buses, I can’t even imagine what kinds of accidents will happen. Is it possible for the B38/LTD to be slightly rerouted? Maybe it can go down the same street for the B41 and B45 for a little?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Snorunts said:

I am pumped for the B38 to start using articulated buses, but I can’t stop thinking how they will manage on Fulton Street. There’s already tons of bus chaos on that VERY NARROW street; with articulated buses, I can’t even imagine what kinds of accidents will happen. Is it possible for the B38/LTD to be slightly rerouted? Maybe it can go down the same street for the B41 and B45 for a little?

I don’t know where the B38 would go without going through Fulton Mall.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

I thought the guideline for express was to get a whole seat load. I never remembered a rule banning standees. 

They try to schedule service so that, within any given 30 minute window, there are enough seats to accommodate all passengers.

9 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Trust, it'll manage, artics go through things that are worse. For example, look at the stretch on the Bx1 between Bailey Avenue and Fort Independence Street, VERY narrow street, can barely even fit a 40fter, but it works. 

• Thanks 1