BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

18 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Those driverside wraps are extremely annoying to look out of when you're a passenger inside the bus so frankly I'm glad Brooklyn doesn't have them.

I’ll say this. Not all of Brooklyn Division uses wraps. Only FB and Grand uses them. However, it should be used for bus traveling into the CBD. Only Ulmer has it for express only. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

Quick Question: How many buses can Manhattanville hold? As well as how much does Manhattanville need to make service.

I’ve seen Manhattanville hold up to 280. However, not 300+ like MQ. As far for service you have to account for spare factors and since they have heavy routes including Madison/5th Avenue routes they gonna need plenty. 

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I’ve seen Manhattanville hold up to 280. However, not 300+ like MQ. As far for service you have to account for spare factors and since they have heavy routes including Madison/5th Avenue routes they gonna need plenty. 

Ohh ok I'm asking because for the past 2 years not counting this year. Manhattanville had stayed at 232 buses and never went up. Which is why I wondered why. Also I think in the historic old roster Manhattanville has reached to 295

So I catch the 4:31 s98 bus since the 4:30 was packed to the rim and instead of starting the route he brings me back to the terminal and makes me wait for the 4:50. No wonder ridership is dropping, you wait for a bus, you pay and then he goes back to the terminal.

Edited by Lil 57

9 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

So I catch the 4:31 s98 bus since the 4:30 was packed to the rim and instead of starting the route he brings me back to the terminal and makes me wait for the 4:50. No wonder ridership is dropping, you wait for a bus, you pay and then he goes back to the terminal.

Might've been called back to the terminal....

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Might've been called back to the terminal....

True but if you have already picked people up and are leaving the terminal the dispatcher shouldn't make the b/o go back to the ferry. It's an inconvenience that discourages ridership.

18 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

5 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

True but if you have already picked people up and are leaving the terminal the dispatcher shouldn't make the b/o go back to the ferry. It's an inconvenience that discourages ridership.

They might have needed that bus to fill an extremely late or missing trip. Yes, it’s inconvenient, but sometimes that’s how service has to be made. It’s not the first time that has occurred.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

19 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Same thing happened to me on the M14A, he told people on the bus he had to loop around for 2-3 minutes, I was completely fine with it, while a whole two other people were confused.

26 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

They might have needed that bus to fill an extremely late or missing trip. Yes, it’s inconvenient, but sometimes that’s how service has to be made. It’s not the first time that has occurred.

I checked on BusTime and it looks like he's just sitting at the terminal since 4:40. So he didn't have to fill in any trip. Bus #7064. The main reason I'm annoyed by this is because we were already on our way and payed our fare. If anything the bus shouldn't of showed up at all instead of taking us in a loop.

Edited by Lil 57

2 hours ago, King Transit said:

Anyone, what fleet range numbers of the Orion VII OG HEV(2002-04) had the LEDs and Flipdots until recent reitirement ? 

6365-6489 were all delivered with flipdot signs 

6445 had gotten its flipdot sign removed and upgraded to the orange ones found on the 2006/2007 Orion VII’s. 

14 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Sure hope everyone who was kicked off got paper transfers to make up for the trip lost/fare paid. Probably not, but that's what I would have asked for. And unless I was on some super-tight schedule, I would have waited around and documented everything, until that bus was back in service. A complaint would naturally have all of the documentation (including operator badge, whoever's standing around directing bus traffic's badge, times, etc). Totally unacceptable.

14 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

The indifference just shows how much crap and poor service everyone is accustomed to from the MTA. The buses can't operate according to a schedule anyways, and in situations like this, you guys just shrug it off as "another day in the city." But the culmination of things like this have led the MTA (and the city) down the path it's currently on: uncontrolled traffic and congestion, MTA losing money due to chasing customers away, and apathy/indifference.

And since WHEN has the MTA cared that much about missing or extremely late trips? Express buses -- the so-called "premium service" -- have tons of problems with late/missing buses, and those customers are told, "Sucks to be you. STFU." They aren't turning local buses into express runs during such "emergencies" (which would be one way of ensuring your PREMIUM service was operated as such, and as a priority).

The excuses you guys have for piss-poor service.......

4 minutes ago, DetSMART45 said:

Sure hope everyone who was kicked off got paper transfers to make up for the trip lost/fare paid. Probably not, but that's what I would have asked for. And unless I was on some super-tight schedule, I would have waited around and documented everything, until that bus was back in service. A complaint would naturally have all of the documentation (including operator badge, whoever's standing around directing bus traffic's badge, times, etc). Totally unacceptable.

It was still sitting on BusTime on the S98 until around 5:30 ish. The B/O of that bus told the next S98 B/O to excuse us.

12 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

It was still sitting on BusTime on the S98 until around 5:30 ish. The B/O of that bus told the next S98 B/O to excuse us.

Oh wow. I wouldn't have waited that long, but after about 20 minutes or so, I'd have been on the phone putting in a complaint, and making it known to whatever timer/supervisor was on the ground that was exactly what I was doing. (Probably even be a smartass and offer them the phone to talk to the CSR at the MTA Complaint Center.) Get the complaint number, then follow-up from home later with a formal written complaint, and include the info you said above.

I did exactly that when a bus passed-up another customer and myself, right after it happened. Route runs 30 minute headways, and the operator was constantly 15-20 minutes late in starting. And the stop we were waiting at was the second one from the route terminal (4 minutes). Got on the blower, documented it with a CSR, then filled out a detailed online complaint later in the evening. SMART did follow-up, said some BS which if I really wanted to blow-up I could easily have (but didn't) -- BUT, that operator got bounced from the route because they DID check his on-time-performance.

Edited by DetSMART45

18 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I checked on BusTime and it looks like he's just sitting at the terminal since 4:40. So he didn't have to fill in any trip. Bus #7064. The main reason I'm annoyed by this is because we were already on our way and payed our fare. If anything the bus shouldn't of showed up at all instead of taking us in a loop.

I'm pretty sure she was instructed to do this after the fact. There's no way a trip isn't been done with 5 dispatchers and a superintendent at the ferry. 

15 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

I'm pretty sure she was instructed to do this after the fact. There's no way a trip isn't been done with 5 dispatchers and a superintendent at the ferry. 

I said the same thing. People have a reading comprehension problem.  It happens once every so many months.  Not the end of the world. 

I planned to visit Ferry Point Park and ride the BX42 to the last stop near that park since I never been out there, two things to check off the bucket list. Anyway I ride BX42 to the last stop in Thorggs Neck and there isn't an entrance to the park there. On the bus map it looks like you could just easily stroll into ferry point park from the BX42 terminal when that isn't the case. Its just bushes behind a fence there and the entrance to the actual park is somewhere else. 

Cool little neighborhood though, seen parts of the BX I never seen before. The portion of the BX42 between the (6) train stop and Throggs Neck terminal kinda reminds me of South BK/Mill Basin/Canarsie, etc.

Edited by trainfan22

Hello Forum users, so one of my YT fanners chatted with me on Discord showing me this pic of a FB XD60 on Flatlands/E 105th St. being parked after pulling away from Pennsylvania Ave. I nearly thought it was a classic XD60 before he mentioned the series of the XD60 and the picture of it. We were asumming it was #6138 being tested on the B82 +SBS. I don't think it's true, and ENY Depot has not finished their modifications yet until next year. Or that can be a school tripper, on FB's ENY routes that is not artic ready. Is it mysterious or is it happening subtlly ?

*Not My Picture*Screenshot_2019-07-25-15-39-41.png

Edited by King Transit