BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

6 hours ago, DetSMART45 said:

Here's quoting TWICE directly from the horse's mouth:

MTA Launches Public Pilot For OMNY Contactless Fare Payment System – First New Payment System In 25 Years

Press Release -- May 31, 2019

MTA Leadership and Congressman Max Rose Announce New State-of-the-Art Bus Fleet, Contactless Fare Payment System on Staten Island

Press Release -- June 17, 2019

Yeah, my bad for not understanding MTA officials on how this is supposed to work. <_<

The thing is that Cubic Employees do the Installation, not the (MTA) directly. Most of the times these buses go into service to move other buses outside of SI to reitre the buses in the Mainland. OMNY is in a testing phase right now, there is no such priority to shove down every depot's throats. New Buses could even be put into service overnight, we're talking about an un-controlled environment, readers are delivered in bulk, and the work is done by Cubic Employees during their availability. There is a lot of Ethernet, and fiber optics that are installed on a bus before simply receiving a reader, this is a pilot phase so there is no such priority at the moment, and as @SevenEleventhe bus is flagged, and Buses without OMNY the ride is free. People would rather have a bus than nothing, just because it does not have a reader. Transit is not a controlled environment when it comes to pilots and tests, so just take down the notch, these buses will get their OMNY readers installed when they are scheduled to. In the future it will have top priority once it becomes the Main Mode of Fare Payment.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

In his defense, MTA has hybrids with OMNY bases installed and working, but they decided to mass retire the 63-64xx as priority. Yukon could have kept some of the hybrids with the readers and then when enough buses have the readers installed, then ship them out. This is how I see it anyway. 

That wouldn't make much of a difference really. They gotta wait for the Cubic technicians to install them on the buses. So if a bus is needed for service, they're gonna have to send it out regardless.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As for the whole point of all Staten Island MTA buses on the island having the OMNY readers...that only applied to the buses that were already on the Island at the time, not all the new buses being delivered.....and at that time, Cubic technicians were already on standby on the island installing readers and such on both the local and express buses. The new buses get them a few days after they were delivered and prepped for service, especially since at times, they gotta wait on the Cubic technicians to install the wires and equipment on the buses.

Besides, Staten Island's allotment of new buses is almost complete anyway. All of the new buses have the readers except for like a small handful of buses.

Edited by Cait Sith

On 6/8/2019 at 6:02 PM, B35 via Church said:

The strange part though, was when I got off the bus.... Some Jewish lady out of no where attempted to board the bus (at the last stop, 263rd, before the u-turn); didn't think much of it, until I started hearing sobbing noises... I turn back around & the both of them are standing up hugging each other inside the bus, right by the driver's area (not like a loving/erotic embrace, but it was more like a "I haven't seen you in a long time" embrace - either that, or a "I need your help, what a relief" type of embrace).... Overall f***ing weird either way....

I saw this awhile ago and it bothered me. What does her Jewishness have to do with it? Are you an anti-Semite, or just a big mouth who judges other people?

3 hours ago, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

I saw this awhile ago and it bothered me. What does her Jewishness have to do with it? Are you an anti-Semite, or just a big mouth who judges other people?

Relax....he's none of those. He wasn't being insulting with his tone either.

23 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Some Bay Ridge observations: Yukon’s s79SBS+ mostly LFS. Didn’t see an NG pop up yet as most of the NG’s are either on local buses or prepped for transfer to Manhattanville and/or Quill. 

With Quill I think 4256 and 4266 are there for maintenance just like 4261 and 4268. Those 2 buses might get transferred back to Manhattanville 

2 hours ago, King Transit said:

Speaking of "charging ports", Quill was supposed to be getting 15 AEB ports this month, and it's the ending of July. Are there no ports yet ?

Why don't you walk inside Quill and find out?

Since apparently, you "work" for the TA.....🤣

They likely got them/are in the phase of getting them. The demo XE60 is supposed to arrive in September/October, with the production buses coming in November/December.

12 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Why don't you walk inside Quill and find out?

Since apparently, you "work" for the TA.....🤣

They likely got them/are in the phase of getting them. The demo XE60 is supposed to arrive in September/October, with the production buses coming in November/December.

I am in Montrèal right now. But I will have to call my uncle, because I just got connected with ENY Depot 2 months ago

Edited by King Transit

On 7/29/2019 at 8:27 PM, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

The fact you couldn't get others to completely see things your way in this thread bothers you...

Other people's opinions of you, bothers you....

The government you fear, bothers you...

Your own reflection bothers you....

LIFE bothers you.

Get off my nuts, chump.... If I gave enough of a damn, I should report your lying ass for blatantly claiming I made a "passive anti-semitic" remark - When you're on here questioning if I am one....

Now go report this post too.

Edited by B35 via Church