BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

12 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

People are treating buses and subways like they're some TV program or some anime or some shit. Like its a fandom, where you can love or hate the characters, and critique the storyline, etc. Where you can have opinions on what is best, what sucks.

These transit YouTube reviews started popping up in droves about 2-3 years ago. And it's not like these are accurate reviews, like how you see with car enthusiasts and mechanics, which for the most part are know more about the inner workings of vehicles. The roots have always been there. How many times throughout the years have I heard and read what people think:

"Love the way the Voight sounds."

"Those guys at LGA suck with their maintenance."

You have young people whose only knowledge of buses and trains comes from a couple of websites, and that knowledge seems to be enough to make them experts. And that's a problem. Especially when it comes down to vehicles run by a public stage agency or a private company, which itself isn't even that sexy an idea.

Now there is a trove of misinformation in this niche community that cannot afford to have misinformation, all because some guy treats buses like a film trailer that can be reviewed on YouTube.

well said. within that time frame (and slightly beforehand) on one hand, i could count how many youngins were legit depot reviewers (considering none of them were employees) one that always stood out to me (not to promote anyone) but the super subway brothers always floored me. THEY (and i use the term loosely) did their homework. i worked in 3 yards they reviewed, and was stunned by the moderate intricacies they were able to vividly describe. they couldn't have obtained certain particulars via second hand or thru assumptions. they put in the legwork and released a quality product. i could be wrong, but i never saw an inaccurate depiction/description from them of any depot. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

So true! @EastFlatbushLarry 

I was already done when he mentioned about the East New York thing and I'm like you don't know a thing about that depot and the APPRENTICE thing was the kicker...

Last I checked, I've worked for the City of New York for the better of 13 years and never heard of a APPRENTICE dispatcher.

So I say this. Spare me the bullshit and do what 15 year old kids do. PLAY FORTNITE.

Apprentice? You've got to be Joking right? 😂

Does he know that a Dispatcher's exam has to be taken for such thing? and if he claims he is an Apprentice, I wonder what he's dispatching, because for sure it ain't Buses to begin with... 🤣

1 minute ago, WestFarms36 said:

Apprentice? You've got to be Joking right? 😂

Does he know that a Dispatcher's exam has to be taken for such thing? and if he claims he is an Apprentice, I wonder what he's dispatching, because for sure it ain't Buses to begin with... 🤣

swear to Lord God Almighty, slow churned butter ain't as smooth as that lie he tried to put across

9 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

So true! @EastFlatbushLarry 

I was already done when he mentioned about the East New York thing and I'm like you don't know a thing about that depot and the APPRENTICE thing was the kicker...

Last I checked, I've worked for the City of New York for the better of 13 years and never heard of a APPRENTICE dispatcher.

So I say this. Spare me the bullshit and do what 15 year old kids do. PLAY FORTNITE.

you know like i know then... the chief newspaper, dcas website, MTA employment page... ain't NEVER been no damn dispatcher apprenticeship. I'm lying... dispatcher apprenticeship = being a GOT-DAMN bus operator first! #SorryNotSorry 

9 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Many of these people are in denial that they contributed to @East New York leaving, but I felt for him each time he had to go vocal and address all of these people constantly.

and it's sad. it really is. it's like watching the inmates overthrow a prison, where the c/o's are clearly outnumbered. you know what's gonna happen and it's not pretty. he fought the good fight a good long time to my understanding, and at some point, self preservation is key. sometimes, you gotta give people enough rope to expose & eventually hang themselves, and that's what's happening. 

15 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

People are treating buses and subways like they're some TV program or some anime or some shit. Like its a fandom, where you can love or hate the characters, and critique the storyline, etc. Where you can have opinions on what is best, what sucks.

These transit YouTube reviews started popping up in droves about 2-3 years ago. And it's not like these are accurate reviews, like how you see with car enthusiasts and mechanics, which for the most part are know more about the inner workings of vehicles. The roots have always been there. How many times throughout the years have I heard and read what people think:

I believe that these reviews (in general) are done mainly for views and subscribers. I mean, if one can expound on several ideas and they agree with that other people think about said bus/depot/route/etc., then that's basically enough to build on the views. It might seem somewhat outlandish but there are other people out there who have the same mindset. It's like a combo of preaching to the choir and seeking validation. Of course, as others pointed out, it would be somewhat hard to do a wholesome review without knowing the workings of how things operate. 

2 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I believe that these reviews (in general) are done mainly for views and subscribers. I mean, if one can expound on several ideas and they agree with that other people think about said bus/depot/route/etc., then that's basically enough to build on the views. It might seem somewhat outlandish but there are other people out there who have the same mindset. It's like a combo of preaching to the choir and seeking validation. Of course, as others pointed out, it would be somewhat hard to do a wholesome review without knowing the workings of how things operate. 

...and then you got those who are completely foaming, and sub-bot the hell out of their channels.

1 hour ago, DetSMART45 said:

Just want to say, I've got no personal axe to grind with Mr. Man. Haven't watched his "videos" or really paid attention to his wandering babbling.

But when @Cait Sith calls out a post hyped by Mr. Man that contains Shane's OWN work uncredited and no caveats are offered (even something like, "I'll get back to the creator because that's just not cool"), it says a lot by omission.

Yeah, minor shit like that matters to me, reputation-wise.

I was supposed to quote this earlier while on the (E).

While that does tend to get on my nerves sometimes, what gets on my nerves more is when sources like news sources or transit companies use my stuff without credit...such as this(they credited the MTA for MY M9 video) and this with the source image.

Best believe I got paid for this.

2 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

While that does tend to get on my nerves sometimes, what gets on my nerves more is when sources like news sources or transit companies use my stuff without credit...such as this(they credited the MTA for MY M9 video) and this with the source image.

Have you ever reached out to them? lol

But hey when CBS is too lazy to send out Camera Men to catch footage, Google Images and YouTube is the one stop shop for all of this.

Just now, WestFarms36 said:

But hey when CBS is too lazy to send out Camera Men to catch footage, Google Images and YouTube is the one stop shop for all of this.

I have, I got paid for both, and other things involving my footage lol.

4 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Instagram as well. If that counts as a photo source. 

Edited by Calvin

15 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Imma put my two cents on this matter while I can. It's been a while since I actually even took consistent videos of transit and yes I was one of the people that did reviews from time to time (but with subway cars, not buses/depot because everyone beats that sh!t to death). And yes, it was partially to see (more test out) if I could get a lil bit of boost in subs and views.

Now that I have 6/7 days of the week where I'm working my ass off I don't have time to do as much as I did before. And I do notice a few people that harass me to keep up with my reviews, do live streams, meet up with them etc. Point being that these people act like it's gonna be a career and you actually get something great out of this. For some people yes, but making money by making bus/subway/depot reviews for a living? No thanks. Rather be engaged in activities that will make lives better for me, the environment and anyone else I encounter.

I'm probably going to get 4 1/2 hrs of sleep tonight. #doingsomethingproductive

#reviewsdontgiveyouthemoney

#worklife

#illbeplayingcatchupherelater

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
Hoping my message gets out there.

9 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

5 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

A large part of the problem is not fully understanding what fair use means.... It doesn't mean you just take & disseminate anyone's shit for your own reasons.....

Fair use is not free use.

20 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I have a feeling FB is going to give up their new XD60s to Mother Clara Hale and end up getting the latter third of the XD60 order. 

Just a thought. 

I could see that as a possibility. Just remember the current TA order runs only thru 6233. Up to 6209 is delivered already. Some 6160’s, some 6180’s are delivered, some 6190’s. However, no 6170’s. 

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me at what point did the Q114-Limited get a short-sign to Mott Avenue? has that always been a thing? currently on bus #3526

By the way out of curiosity, I don't know if you have also noticed from your own experience at Transit, but the newer Buses like the Buses delivered between 2015-2017, if you inspect them closely sometimes you may find scratches or dents that occur to them over the tough tenure in NYCT, are these things that happen en-route during an Operator's shift, or are these factored into something else, because Accidents can't really be it, and I've seen insane scratches and dents which do make me wonder.

13 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

4271 is running on the S79 +selectbusservice.

4276 is running on the S44.

Those are the only two 2009 Orion VII Next Generation buses in service at Staten Island at the moment.

4251, 4265-4267, 4269, 4272 are still on the island unless they are being prepped to Manhattanville. 

2 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

By the way out of curiosity, I don't know if you have also noticed from your own experience at Transit, but the newer Buses like the Buses delivered between 2015-2017, if you inspect them closely sometimes you may find scratches or dents that occur to them over the tough tenure in NYCT, are these things that happen en-route during an Operator's shift, or are these factored into something else, because Accidents can't really be it, and I've seen insane scratches and dents which do make me wonder.

dents & scratches may occur definitely during shifting operations. you're correct... all scratches or dents aren't a direct result of on the road accidents. 

5 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

dents & scratches may occur definitely during shifting operations. you're correct... all scratches or dents aren't a direct result of on the road accidents. 

Good to receive clarification, cuz I am aware the Operator has to visually Inspect the exterior of the Bus and note any of those things on their OVCR Card, to get it signed afterwards, and I wondered if any of this got addressed over time since the bus repaint cycle was every 4 years until now with this ordeal which will push it to 6, so I was trying to figure out if there's anything in place to address that temporarily until a bus is repainted.

7 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Good to receive clarification, cuz I am aware the Operator has to visually Inspect the exterior of the Bus and note any of those things on their OVCR Card, to get it signed afterwards, and I wondered if any of this got addressed over time since the bus repaint cycle was every 4 years until now with this ordeal which will push it to 6, so I was trying to figure out if there's anything in place to address that temporarily until a bus is repainted.

i believe it depends on severity but yes it's definitely a good idea to acknowledge everything on the ovcr

7 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I could see that as a possibility. Just remember the current TA order runs only thru 6233. Up to 6209 is delivered already. Some 6160’s, some 6180’s are delivered, some 6190’s. However, no 6170’s. 

I could see 6127-6145 will be quills,  6146-6195 will be Hales, 6196-6233 will be Flatbush, along with some older XD60s. 

Just a prediction.