BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Yes, that is correct. Jamaica and Stengel both have good maintenance. In fact the Queens Division is very good when it comes to that. 

1 hour ago, Orionguy said:

The problem with Piney Boy is that he has a good point about NICE being crap but he doesn't know what he's talking about when he talks about the buses themselves. He makes it seem like the buses are at fault when NICE should have spec'd their buses better. And then the young transit fans (who also have no idea about anything) start spreading false information. Piney has a screw loose judging from his past videos.....

Regardless of how factual the points he raises are, they are always shrouded in bullshit... He cannot state a fact by itself & have that be the end of it.

He cares more about sniffing pines & dousing himself in bug repellent when he nomadically wanders about deep in these woods to relieve his stress self, than he does making transit better for the people.... I've always gotten the sense that he delved into this online transit community as an avenue to voice out his frustrations (with life) to a wider audience of people... I mean let's face it, ever since he virtually stopped talking transit (under the guise of being bullied & being subjected to too much drama [triggering the pooping of his pants, I guess :lol:] - which is ironic, being that he made a lil punk ass name for himself in this community with his RANT videos), notice how much of a downward spiral his YT channel is heading in.... Much of nobody cares about the pines & meteorology like that.... Hell, the NYC transit community on YT is small enough; what he's trying to transform his channel into, serves an even more niche market....

Anyone that's dumb enough to state & believe that MTA (he states QV specifically, on numerous occasions) buses should be dispensed out to Nassau county whenever the LIRR f***s up for some reason, because "the city doesn't need all those buses on standby", is a moron.... When it comes to the city (as far as transit is concerned), he doesn't know what he's talking about.... The same guy that was crying that Nassau needs its own transportation provider (when the MTA pulled out of providing bus service throughout Nassau w/ LIB), is the same guy crying that the MTA needs to come back to Nassau county, because Mangano, corruption in Nassau county, blah blah blah, this, that, and the third.... This is what we're dealing with here.... As far as the younger folks that gravitate/d towards him & his channel, I'm of the belief that it is/was done out of nothing more than empathy - he is ALWAYS this perpetual victim.... How'd that fare for him when he was talking cash shit about those "white finance professionals on the South Shore"?

As for Andy's RandomShit, his videos going in on QV are (obviously) declaimed from a narrow perspective.... Service out of LIJ on the Q46 at one point was deteriorating (one thing I don't miss about working there), but to make like the whole depot is the pits because of waning Q46 service, I mean come on..... Enough of you have already pointed out that QV is one of the better depots we have around, with which I have to concur... It's one of the depots you hear the least about (which in this transit community, is a good thing - LOL!!)..... The shit this dude says about QV, would be like me claiming that JG is the worst depot around, because the B35 has less service, due to its artic conversion.....

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Regardless of how factual the points he raises are, they are always shrouded in bullshit... He cannot state a fact by itself & have that be the end of it.

He cares more about sniffing pines & dousing himself in bug repellent when he nomadically wanders about deep in these woods to relieve his stress self, than he does making transit better for the people.... I've always gotten the sense that he delved into this online transit community as an avenue to voice out his frustrations (with life) to a wider audience of people... I mean let's face it, ever since he virtually stopped talking transit (under the guise of being bullied & being subjected to too much drama [triggering the pooping of his pants, I guess :lol:] - which is ironic, being that he made a lil punk ass name for himself in this community with his RANT videos), notice how much of a downward spiral his YT channel is heading in.... Much of nobody cares about the pines & meteorology like that.... Hell, the NYC transit community on YT is small enough; what he's trying to transform his channel into, serves an even more niche market....

Anyone that's dumb enough to state & believe that MTA (he states QV specifically, on numerous occasions) buses should be dispensed out to Nassau county whenever the LIRR f***s up for some reason, because "the city doesn't need all those buses on standby", is a moron.... When it comes to the city (as far as transit is concerned), he doesn't know what he's talking about.... The same guy that was crying that Nassau needs its own transportation provider (when the MTA pulled out of providing bus service throughout Nassau w/ LIB), is the same guy crying that the MTA needs to come back to Nassau county, because Mangano, corruption in Nassau county, blah blah blah, this, that, and the third.... This is what we're dealing with here.... As far as the younger folks that gravitate/d towards him & his channel, I'm of the belief that it is/was done out of nothing more than empathy - he is ALWAYS this perpetual victim.... How'd that fare for him when he was talking cash shit about those "white finance professionals on the South Shore"?

As for Andy's RandomShit, his videos going in on QV are (obviously) declaimed from a narrow perspective.... Service out of LIJ on the Q46 at one point was deteriorating (one thing I don't miss about working there), but to make like the whole depot is the pits because of waning Q46 service, I mean come on..... Enough of you have already pointed out that QV is one of the better depots we have around, with which I have to concur... It's one of the depots you hear the least about (which in this transit community, is a good thing - LOL!!)..... The shit this dude says about QV, would be like me claiming that JG is the worst depot around, because the B35 has less service, due to its artic conversion.....

Presentation is often a sixth sense that I would personally go by to determine whether or not someone is regurgitating crap that hasn't gone through secondary research or if they're actually being informative and as someone who still watches his videos ironically used to comb through his transit-oriented videos, one didn't even have to doubt that with every ounce of truth he would throw out, he would pile a pound of his own bullshit bias on top of it. Piss-poor made thumbnails and poor font choices aside, he obviously doesn't look nor sound to be in the proper stance to have an actual sit down and properly critique mass transit through a neutral position.

One example i can think of at the top of my head would be a video of one of the LIB/NICE Orion Vs going through a rough high idle cycle. Does it sound odd to the average PineyWhiney Joe? Maybe. Does it reflect the broader spectrum of NICE's budgetary short comings then? TF NO. There's more layers to the problems faced by Nassau's bus system than an otherwise healthy engine idling through different RPMs and while the system is not perfect, it can and slowly is getting better (perhaps not for him but oh well...)

And to add on to your take of his MTA-praising hogwash, let's also not forget while he praises them for being some god sent compared to Nassau's current bus system, there's always those nitpicks come time to actually bring in a proper MTA unit into LI for whatever occasion and it usually follows the formula of:

• Praises MTA/MTA can do better/wants MTA to bring back LIB/MSBA.
  • MTA brings in a local bus (XD40 in this case) to cover LIRR service.
  • Complains that particular unit is filthy and ill maintained/NICE can probably do better with their "brand-new spanking XN40s.
  • Literally posts a video the next day of a NICE XN40 with something that can be fixed in the maintenance bay. *repeat cycle*

I really would like to think he's trolling but after seeing him go back and forth between blaming "Hurrr Mangano. Corruption. Taxi companies" and "Durrr. The Hispanics. Illegals. Everything is a pig sty cuz'er them", there comes a point where you think he either needs to be consistent (which we all know would never happen) or he needs to stay his ass out of LI and NYC Bus affairs and keep the complaining confined to himself...

As for the younger viewers that watch have seen his or Andy's videos (some of which seem to be around my age or slightly younger), it's jarring to see how much technology we have at the palm of our hands and yet often times it can serve as a medium for both informing and misinforming and sometimes a simple Google or Wiki search just doesn't cut it.

Edited by RTSTdrive

On 7/31/2019 at 10:54 AM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me at what point did the Q114-Limited get a short-sign to Mott Avenue? has that always been a thing? currently on bus #3526

As far as I know, no. The Far Rockaway bus never had a short turn sign to Mott Av. It was always the Q111 with those short trips.

13 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

As far as I know, no. The Far Rockaway bus never had a short turn sign to Mott Av. It was always the Q111 with those short trips.

yeah, i can't recollect ever seeing a Mott Avenue sign (sign literally read Q114 LIMITED; Q114 MOTT AV) and I've only recall Q111's to Farmers (or 137, which i see are no longer utilized). i have my theory as to why that short was utilized at that time of day, lateness being an obvious contributor... i just was wondering due to me not having been on Guy Brew in several years. I'm aware of the occasional use of 40-footers on Guy Brew, and that being said, it was a perfect use of one in this case. not too many people on that trip by the time i got on at Farmers

You wanna know why ridership is tanking?

Look at the Bx3 out of the Heights. It’s supposed to run on a 6 minute headway and you have 2 buses on layover. Bus #1 deadheads to the Bronx and starts picking up from there, and bus #2 has to pick everyone up. Bus #2 is also short turning at Kingsbridge. Rinse and repeat throughout the day.

So the headway along half the route is actually cut by 50% because every other bus run is effectively ABD.

57 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

You wanna know why ridership is tanking?

Look at the Bx3 out of the Heights. It’s supposed to run on a 6 minute headway and you have 2 buses on layover. Bus #1 deadheads to the Bronx and starts picking up from there, and bus #2 has to pick everyone up. Bus #2 is also short turning at Kingsbridge. Rinse and repeat throughout the day.

So the headway along half the route is actually cut by 50% because every other bus run is effectively ABD.

Heh, the Bx3 is a joke. For a while I was tutoring this kid over by Sedgwick in Van Cortlandt Village. When I was done, I would take the BxM3 to the City. Waiting there, I was see the Bx3 always running in packs, and this was on a Sunday with light traffic.  If you have buses bunching like that early in the afternoon with light traffic, clearly there's a problem.  You know how stingy the (MTA) is with service, so if they are running every 6 minutes, it's because they get good loads, but what you described is a big problem, and it is quite annoying to get on a bus that is suddenly short-turned, and they do it with multiple buses too.  It's just crazy. They spent $150 million dollars on a new Bus Command Center. They've had BusTrek now for years, and the dispatching of buses is still a total sh*t show. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 minutes ago, NBTA said:

The 14th Street Busway ban has been lifted (took the goddamn judge long enough).👏👏

Temporarily or permanently? Last I heard, one of the Advocacy groups was taking the issue up in court. You should provide sources for such things, as I heard about the lawsuit on Fox 5 this morning and last night as well.

50 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Heh, the Bx3 is a joke. For a while I was tutoring this kid over by Sedgwick in Van Cortlandt Village. When I was done, I would take the BxM3 to the City. Waiting there, I was see the Bx3 always running in packs, and this was on a Sunday with light traffic.  If you have buses bunching like that early in the afternoon with light traffic, clearly there's a problem.  You know how stingy the (MTA) is with service, so if they are running every 6 minutes, it's because they get good loads, but what you described is a big problem, and it is quite annoying to get on a bus that is suddenly short-turned, and they do it with multiple buses too.  It's just crazy. They spent $150 million dollars on a new Bus Command Center. They've had BusTrek now for years, and the dispatching of buses is still a total sh*t show. 

The problems just cascade from start to finish. High ridership on the southern half, narrow streets north of Kingsbridge, and add the shitshow getting in and out of Washington Heights, it’s a disaster.

Dispatch is on the right track doing a split route gimmick, but they can’t be halving service in the Heights. Too bad they’re not touching the Bx3 in the redesign (it’s on the shortlist for SBS, but supposedly new SBS route creations are being shelved till next year or something like that)

3 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

The problems just cascade from start to finish. High ridership on the southern half, narrow streets north of Kingsbridge, and add the shitshow getting in and out of Washington Heights, it’s a disaster.

Dispatch is on the right track doing a split route gimmick, but they can’t be halving service in the Heights. Too bad they’re not touching the Bx3 in the redesign (it’s on the shortlist for SBS, but supposedly new SBS route creations are being shelved till next year or something like that)

Yeah and I think money is part of the problem and the SBS program in general is being re-evaluated. I was very critical of SBS in my DOT meeting, and it was clear that one of the DOT reps thinks highly of the "SBS brand" as she kept saying.  I don't like the whole priority that the SBS lines get. They get the nice countdown clocks. Why can't other bus lines get those? The DOT made it clear that they had no plans of putting those clocks on non SBS lines which I have a problem with.  I suppose because they are federally funded, the SBS lines get special treatment. Nonsense....

3 minutes ago, IAlam said:

Has anyone noticed the high number of OG/NG on CP routes? I see them running almost everyday in multiple lines. Does CP have a problem atm? 

Shortage of buses. Its also the same reason why a OG can find its way on the B100 & B103. It happens.

3 hours ago, WorkerX said:

Last few times out I've seen uptown M2 buses signed up as saying M2 Limited / M2 Worth St via 5th / Bway

I know the M1 is supposed to be extended from Grand st to Worth st when construction work is completed on Worth st  so maybe the M2 will be extended as well 

2 hours ago, Melbx15 said:

I know the M1 is supposed to be extended from Grand st to Worth st when construction work is completed on Worth st  so maybe the M2 will be extended as well 

i wouldn't be surprised. if/when the demand for worth street grows, it'd be kinda convenient to have the M2 there as well, as opposed to only locals serving worth