BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2950582074974173&id=100000672280976

Here's a front view of 1201 on fire. Towards the end the bus makes a weird noise, anyone know what happened?

Yikes. thought the fire suppression systems on the bus was supposed to prevent that. Maybe it would have been worse without the suppression system. 

One of the 34XX CP exp buses broke down on Union Tpke while doing the QM6 to Manhattan this morning. My job has me going up and down Union Tpke for meetings all day, so I saw the MTA tow truck park in front of the bus a few hours ago after the Road Call truck left, and the B/O and tow operator are nowhere to be seen since then. Long lunch perhaps lol? They certainly are not in a rush to get this bus towed.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Yikes. thought the fire suppression systems on the bus was supposed to prevent that. Maybe it would have been worse without the suppression system. 

One of the 34XX CP exp buses broke down on Union Tpke while doing the QM6 to Manhattan this morning. My job has me going up and down Union Tpke for meetings all day, so I saw the MTA tow truck park in front of the bus a few hours ago after the Road Call truck left, and the B/O and tow operator are nowhere to be seen since then. Long lunch perhaps lol? They certainly are not in a rush to get this bus towed.

I don't recall anything about the LFS line getting fire suppression systems before 2012. (If someone can prove otherwise, please do.)

9 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

I am on an M4 right now, and this bus (Orion NG #4674) has a WORKING OMNY READER! I just used it now (used my free transfer earlier, was transferring from the (C) train.)

does anybody know anything about this?

That’s nice. 4674 came from Staten Island not too long ago.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

I don't recall anything about the LFS line getting fire suppression systems before 2012. (If someone can prove otherwise, please do.)

Interesting, I thought all the buses had it. I could have sworn even RTSs had it installed? I think I used to see a panel for it on the RTS. 

8 hours ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

I am on an M4 right now, and this bus (Orion NG #4674) has a WORKING OMNY READER! I just used it now (used my free transfer earlier, was transferring from the (C) train.)

does anybody know anything about this?

The readers work with any code (that's obviously not NIS or anything related to). Guess they didn't get around to taking it out. 

8 hours ago, Lex said:

They have fire suppression systems. It depends where the fire originated. They're only really good for fires in the engine compartment. 

59 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

The readers work with any code (that's obviously not NIS or anything related to). Guess they didn't get around to taking it out. 

Why exactly would they bother removing them if all buses will get them eventually? (Sorry if that is a foolish question)

2 hours ago, Snorunts said:

Why exactly would they bother removing them if all buses will get them eventually? (Sorry if that is a foolish question)

Because most of Manhattan doesn't have OMNY at their subway stations, and none of the buses besides the NGs from Staten Island, that could be one reason. 

4 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

Because most of Manhattan doesn't have OMNY at their subway stations, and none of the buses besides the NGs from Staten Island, that could be one reason. 

That's one reason, yes. I discussed OMNY with the (MTA) earlier this year. They want to roll it out in phases, and test security, durability and doing that in phases allows them to address any issues that may arise. In this case you can also have a lot of people complaining about not getting a transfer. Since so few buses and subway stations have OMNY in Manhattan, it wouldn't be a good PR look. They want people to use OMNY, and if your original experience isn't good with it, well that's not good. A lot of money is being invested in this new payment program, so having a good perception about the brand is important.

2 hours ago, MTAbus677 said:

Last weekend, I rode the M15-SBS. On the way back to South Ferry, one of the operators likes the 2010 NovaBus LFSAs better than the new 2019 XD60s. She liked the LFSAs better because of she can see people getting on and getting off the bus. Any thoughts on this?

I've said from the jump all buses should have wide inward opening doors. That's the most streamlined look as well as the best for SBS boarding. 

Took the BxM10 into the city today. I made great time for a Friday at 3pm, probably because the B/O took some liberties getting from 2nd Av over to 5th (no stops were missed)

I wish people could use the express buses a little more. Seeing an express bus only 25% full vs. a subway or a local bus that's bursting at the seams just doesn't sit well with me personally tbh... Or maybe it's because the Bronx has too many poor people and the discrepancy is more pronounced here, who knows....

8 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Took the BxM10 into the city today. I made great time for a Friday at 3pm, probably because the B/O took some liberties getting from 2nd Av over to 5th (no stops were missed)

I wish people could use the express buses a little more. Seeing an express bus only 25% full vs. a subway or a local bus that's bursting at the seams just doesn't sit well with me personally tbh... Or maybe it's because the Bronx has too many poor people and the discrepancy is more pronounced here, who knows....

In general, the express buses have the unfortunate image of being for those with money, which is not helped by the neighborhoods they typically run in or the much higher fare needed (to say nothing of the fleet).

1 hour ago, Lex said:

In general, the express buses have the unfortunate image of being for those with money, which is not helped by the neighborhoods they typically run in or the much higher fare needed (to say nothing of the fleet).

I think of it as an UberPool on steroids. Cheaper than one too.

Those MCI's and Prevosts do scream "elite transportation" tho, I'm not gonna lie.