Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

6 minutes ago, Statty said:

Just drove 4674 today. Was on the M4 today and had a few tourist stuck at the MET without a metrocard. I asked if they had a credit card, and it all worked out. Tap system is very instantaneous, no delay, very fast and responsive. 

I believe 4012 has OMNY still on it as well, just not working(?).

Very smart of you to suggest they try out OMNI! Maybe these tourists won’t write a Yelp review about how terrible NYC is LOL. 

• LMAO! 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Statty said:

Just drove 4674 today. Was on the M4 today and had a few tourist stuck at the MET without a metrocard. I asked if they had a credit card, and it all worked out. Tap system is very instantaneous, no delay, very fast and responsive. 

I believe 4694 also has OMNY. (correct me if I'm wrong on this).

37 minutes ago, Statty said:

Why haven’t they put OMNY on other boroughs’ buses or other subway lines?

Edited by New Flyer Xcelsior

Were all the 46xx buses transferred from SI?

and, where did the 40xx buses come from? They have Bronx bus maps, but they are advertising OMNY — so did they go from SI to Bronx to MHV? I’ve seen them mainly on the M11

and lastly, is MHV the only depot the SI buses have been transferred to?

Edited by New Flyer Xcelsior

7 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Why haven’t they put OMNY on other boroughs’ buses or other subway lines?

Because, as it was said millions of times on TV and in other places, we are currently in a test phase which only includes Staten Island and several stations along the Lexington Avenue Line.

The NGs that have them in Manhattan were previously from Staten Island.

3 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Were all the 46xx buses transferred from SI?

and, where did the 40xx buses come from? They have Bronx bus maps, but they are advertising OMNY — so did they go from SI to Bronx to MHV? I’ve seen them mainly on the M11

and lastly, is MHV the only depot the SI buses have been transferred to?

1. Yes, they've all left the island.
2. A majority of those were brand new to The Bronx, but were transferred to SI. I guess they didn't care enough to change the maps.
3. No, Flatbush and MQ also received them.

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

Because, as it was said millions of times on TV and in other places, we are currently in a test phase which only includes Staten Island and several stations along the Lexington Avenue Line.

The NGs that have them in Manhattan were previously from Staten Island.

1. Yes, they've all left the island.
2. A majority of those were brand new to The Bronx, but were transferred to SI. I guess they didn't care enough to change the maps.
3. No, Flatbush and MQ also received them.

It appears that Yukon is keeping 3 for training. Clarification if possible. However, yes 97% of the NG fleet has left Staten. 

26 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

It appears that Yukon is keeping 3 for training. Clarification if possible. However, yes 97% of the NG fleet has left Staten. 

Until the rest of the LFS order comes through, that cannot be said for sure.

Edited by Cait Sith

I'm trying to do a 10 year comparison for the bus ridership, but I'm having trouble finding the MTAB routes for 2008

8 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

(Also posted in Subway Random Thoughts)

Is there a relatively easy way to get from the upper east side (82 St/Park Av) to the GWB Bus Terminal? Thanks!

The M98 runs up 3rd Avenue (not sure what the closest stop is to you. Maybe 86th Street). The M4 runs up Madison and also runs near the GWB Bus terminal but takes a little longer (it doesn't have a stretch on the highway like the M98 and it sometimes gets caught up by the hospital in Washington Heights)

When the FDR is backed up the M98 usually detours via local streets (nonstop) to avoid the traffic.

The M3 is a few blocks over from the GWB Bus Terminal along St. Nicholas (you can pick it up with the M4 along Madison)

12 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

(Also posted in Subway Random Thoughts)

Is there a relatively easy way to get from the upper east side (82 St/Park Av) to the GWB Bus Terminal? Thanks!

If it's running, you can get the M98 on 3rd Avenue at 86th Street. Other times, use the M4 on Madison Avenue. 

3 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

I'm trying to do a 10 year comparison for the bus ridership, but I'm having trouble finding the MTAB routes for 2008

Good luck doing that. I had trouble finding bus ridership for Nassau routes from the LIB days. 

I think the buses in the city stop way too often. Today I took the bus and the buses stopped for the stop, then the light, then stop, then the light again. It is almost madding slow. 

I think the MTA can get away with one bus stop every 4 block except for hills and other special need area.

Not only was the bus late, the driver waited for the green to turn red, THREE TIMES. This is a stark contrast to the NICE bus I got off where the driver floored it.

Had no idea Flatbush still had the Oatly campaign on nearly all their buses. Nice to still see those around. Same with some of the JG front ads and a couple of UP expresses.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Had no idea Flatbush still had the Oatly campaign on nearly all their buses. Nice to still see those around. Same with some of the JG front ads and a couple of UP expresses.

New Oatly Campaign so far:

All of Manhattan Division have front and rear.

Flatbush: Front and Rear (plus some holdovers from previous)

JG & UP Front only (plus some holdovers from previous).

Why is everyone so interested in this Oatly campaign? I get that they ads are somewhat more amusing/snarky than your usual MattressFirm ad, but I don't think they are thaaat great. 

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Why is everyone so interested in this Oatly campaign? I get that they ads are somewhat more amusing/snarky than your usual MattressFirm ad, but I don't think they are thaaat great. 

I personally found them nice because I got a good chuckle from them however I’m starting to get bored of them though. I guess some people still like them a lot so their opinions should be respected. But yes, I do see your point.

Edited by Snorunts

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Although they are amusing. It’s a good ad campaign that hasn’t had a good look for NYC in a while. Especially in Brooklyn where most of the ads generally repeat themselves every 3-4 months. I get tired of the same Mattress Firm ads and not enough 30x240 ads or 30x215 ads. 

Too bad the whole Brooklyn Division (with exception of Ulmer Park- Express depot) can’t get Broadway ads or headliner ads from Showtime, Cinemax, Epic, or even driverside wraps. 

However, as of late the (MTA) has been incorporating more headliner ads and driverside wraps in the outer boroughs but only to certain demographic base and not really systemwide. Manhattan will always be the $$$$ base meanwhile the outer boroughs get stuck with the garbage.  

PS: Hopefully, the (MTA) could possibly return back to the rear wraps for the NG’s. Those did well for a while. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

PS: Hopefully, the (MTA) could possibly return back to the rear wraps for the NG’s. Those did well for a while. 

Yasssss!!! I loved those so much!!!

6 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Rare Catch: 2566 is on the S74 going towards the ferry as we speak if anyone wants to catch it.

... Now that’s a rare catch

I guess this driver is working a round trip on a local before going back to work an express route. It would be nice to see more of those express buses working on certain local lines (not all) on the island. Primarily the Hylan Boulevard, Richmond Avenue lines. 

11 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

... Now that’s a rare catch

I guess this driver is working a round trip on a local before going back to work an express route. It would be nice to see more of those express buses working on certain local lines (not all) on the island. Primarily the Hylan Boulevard, Richmond Avenue lines. 

It looks like the B/O ended at the ETC since it's off BusTime now. Seems like that B/O did that part and everyone is now transfering to 8174, which is doing the part north of the ETC.

Edited by Lil 57

12 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

New Oatly Campaign so far:

All of Manhattan Division have front and rear.

Flatbush: Front and Rear (plus some holdovers from previous)

JG & UP Front only (plus some holdovers from previous).

You sure about that? Haven't seen a single Manhattan bus with a new Oatly front ad, and the Flatbush ones just look like leftovers from the earlier campaign. SI transfers are all getting plastered with Museum of Sex ads (good way to tell what's current). ENY and MQ always have the newest campaigns, and they're both Museum of Sex still. Seems to me like the only new campaign is at the rear of buses, nothing new at the front and just a bunch of holdovers on the old campaign.

@ others, as for why I'm keeping track? Nice to see ads that have a sense of humor, treat the viewer with a little bit of a wink-wink-nod-nod, and aren't uniform across the city. The Museum of Sex ones are straight tacky with that big flag and all, and usually ads are just boring (how many years of VIM did we get stuck with?).

• Upvote 1

@MHV9218  I agree with your statement especially the last point. 

As for the Oatly ad. You may be right with the Flatbush holdovers from the previous. However, a few buses have the new rear campaign. 

Ad distribution in general. ENY/MQ/GA* usually are the first ones. than UP/YU first for express than everyone else follows suit. I could be wrong.