BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, MTAbus677 said:

Why is the Q12 getting artic buses? I didn’t know they would be getting them!

You JUST found out? There’s a whole thread for articulated buses on B38, Q12, and Bx35...unless that got deleted because I can’t find it.

Edited by Snorunts

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The M60 is a joke. Just last week there was a 25 min gap in between buses during the height of rush hour.

You can mainly thank 125th street for that. Traffic can be a nightmare especially when the weather is terrible. LGA does have its moments too, but despite the gaps the M60 at times face, it can still be more frequent compared to the Q19 especially on weekends. If they made the Q19 at least every 12-15 minutes during rush hours extend its hours to 11pm, it will at least become more attractive. The weekends need to have service run at least every 20 minutes because 30 minutes is not cutting it. 

4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

You can mainly thank 125th street for that. Traffic can be a nightmare especially when the weather is terrible. LGA does have its moments too, but despite the gaps the M60 at times face, it can still be more frequent compared to the Q19 especially on weekends. If they made the Q19 at least every 12-15 minutes during rush hours extend its hours to 11pm, it will at least become more attractive. The weekends need to have service run at least every 20 minutes because 30 minutes is not cutting it. 

The Q19 should be running every 8-9 minutes, not every 15 minutes. And the M60's problem comes from LaGuardia, cause when traffic is bad, it gets stuck in the mess.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

And the M60's problem comes from LaGuardia, cause when traffic is bad, it gets stuck in the mess.

No, the main issue for that route is definitely 125th Street. LGA can sometimes be bad under normal circumstances, but work is currently being done over there, making the current situation anything but. (If it can't get off 125th Street in a timely fashion going to Queens, it'll get to LGA late, thereby making the return run late, and that has a domino effect, especially since it's not just one or two trips.

Hell, the traffic on that one street was cited in that Bx15/M125 split proposal...

52 minutes ago, Lex said:

No, the main issue for that route is definitely 125th Street. LGA can sometimes be bad under normal circumstances, but work is currently being done over there, making the current situation anything but. (If it can't get off 125th Street in a timely fashion going to Queens, it'll get to LGA late, thereby making the return run late, and that has a domino effect, especially since it's not just one or two trips.

Hell, the traffic on that one street was cited in that Bx15/M125 split proposal...

I see your point. The bus lanes aren't doing much help because they aren't being enforced.

13 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I agree, but I guess the MTA feels that people can simply take the M60 and the Q48 or Q49. 

That....

...or they haven't adapted to the fact that, even though they've extended the thing to Flushing, the route is more than just an (unofficial) shuttle to the (N) for East Elmurst patrons.... In other words, they're underestimating the usage it gets in & out of Flushing.

7 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The Q19 should be running every 8-9 minutes, not every 15 minutes. And the M60's problem comes from LaGuardia, cause when traffic is bad, it gets stuck in the mess.

Trust me, I used to take the M60 to go to work. 125th Street is a mess during the PM rush hour especially since the bus lanes also aren’t enforced like they should.

I think 8-9 minutes would be too frequent especially since it runs every 20 minutes on weekdays and 30 on the weekends. I’ve never been a fan of its western terminal by the Astoria Houses, because it feels like they just placed it there since other routes also end there. In a way I think it hinders it’s growth since the Q18 is more popular and also serves a (N) station. 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

11 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

.....I’ve never been a fan of its western terminal by the Astoria Houses, because it feels like they just placed it there since other routes also end there. In a way I think it hinders it’s growth since the Q18 is more popular and also serves a station. 

Those that even took it as far west as 21st st. were either walking due west, or xferring for the SB 19a after the fact (which is why you had/have some people suggesting that the 19 & 19A be combined).... The extension to the Astoria houses made sense.... The Q18 being the more sought after route to get to the subway had less to do with the Q19 for those folks in the projects & more to do with the (then, indirect) Q102 - which was later straightened, to where it now parallels the Q18 to the subway.... People may (still) complain about the Q18 today, but I remember when that route was just as unreliable as the Q102/103 - even though its posted headways were, better..... Anyway, there was even a phenomenon that had people walking to the M60 for Astoria Blvd. service, the Q19 was so bad (I remember doing it myself way back when, and was surprised to see that I wasn't the only person doing it !... Crazy.)

Way I see it, we're lucky they didn't scale the Q19 back to Astoria Blvd (N); regardless of how infeasible the turnaround would've been.

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

What about running short turn M60 buses between Astoria Blvd (N) and LGA?

Sure, if you have the buses from Manhattan bypassing Astoria Blvd (N)....

55 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

But the Q19 doesn't go to LGA.

...and nobody's going to take the Q19 to any of the buses that run inside the airport either.

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Sure, if you have the buses from Manhattan bypassing Astoria Blvd (N)....

...and nobody's going to take the Q19 to any of the buses that run inside the airport either.

Honestly that would work. If you split the M60 SBS into the M60 and M60A, have the M60 run on it's normal route but stay on the Parkway to LGA, and have the M60A run between Astoria Blvd and LGA. Think of it like an Astoria version of the Q70.