BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

I’ve always wondered why they do that? Don’t they also change the fareboxes too?

If you mean 5987-94 to LGA, the Q53-SBS is jammed with extra riders that has umbrellas and coolers that they need more units. Quill has XD-60s to spare for that part. And fareboxes change b/c they have different codes, NYCT vs MTA Bus. Radios do switch out. 

Also , number consistency, 5900s at LGA are the extra units. 

Edited by Calvin

9 minutes ago, Calvin said:

For now, the B38 is fully Xcelsiors, but the ones going to Metro Av are 40 footers while the Catalpa Av side are 60 footers (articulated 4700s). 

Actually, there’s one going to Metro Ave right now that is an XD60. (4767)

Edit: 2 now. (4754 is also en route to Metro Ave)

Edited by danielhg121

52 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

There was an 2002 MCI from either CP or BP in service today, saw it in the distance from 34th but knew it was an 02 unit cause of the rear green sign and tail lights setup. Nice to see the old Detroit's in service on a holiday weekend! 

It's a BP bus and it's 2871. It's out right now on the QM4.

Based on the seeing eye test, KB and GH are short on artics. At least their new 40-foot LFS buses are coming in so the pain isn't as bad as it could've been. I'd sure love it if Quill would send a couple more LFSA's from the M14 that they no longer need....

On 8/31/2019 at 11:13 PM, Lawrence St said:

I'm confused, so are the buses from NYCT and MTA Bus under general ownership of the MTA and can be swapped out for whatever company that needs them?

On 8/31/2019 at 11:14 PM, Jdog14 said:

NYCT yes, MTA bus no

Umm, what?

maxresdefault.jpg

4 hours ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

Anyone know the unit # ? of a MCI up in ENY Depo I seen it inside getting worked on and it's from MTA BUS.

That would be 2817 from Eastchester, it's been there for quite a while now for some reason.

------------------------------------------------------------

Man, what in the actual f**k happened to the B44 last night around 9PM? The SBS fleet practically disappeared save for three buses. There was almost an hour-long gap in service Northbound. I waited from 9:00 to 9:45(I was getting videos of the B38 artics during that time), and I only saw ONE bus, 7630. No locals were seen either until like 10 to 10......

5 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Based on the seeing eye test, KB and GH are short on artics. At least their new 40-foot LFS buses are coming in so the pain isn't as bad as it could've been. I'd sure love it if Quill would send a couple more LFSA's from the M14 that they no longer need....

Umm, what?

maxresdefault.jpg

Different situation, those buses came with the acquisition of MTA Bus. Those were free to go anywhere.

Nowadays, anything from the OGs and up cannot go from MTA Bus(especially buses paid with federal funds) to NYC Bus with the exception of the XD60s that currently run on the Q52/Q53 SBS, since those are not actually their buses.

Several years back, there was talk about 185-229 from College Point being swapped out for some of the Orion VII CNGs from West Farms, but they couldn't go through with it because the C40LFs were paid for with federal funds specifically for MTA Bus.

Edited by Cait Sith

9 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

That would be 2817 from Eastchester, it's been there for quite a while now for some reason.

------------------------------------------------------------

Man, what in the actual f**k happened to the B44 last night around 9PM? The SBS fleet practically disappeared save for three buses. There was almost an hour-long gap in service Northbound. I waited from 9:00 to 9:45(I was getting videos of the B38 artics during that time), and I only saw ONE bus, 7630. No locals were seen either until like 10 to 10......

Different situation, those buses came with the acquisition of MTA Bus. Those were free to go anywhere.

Nowadays, anything from the OGs and up cannot go from MTA Bus(especially buses paid with federal funds) to NYC Bus with the exception of the XD60s that currently run on the Q52/Q53 SBS, since those are not actually their buses.

Several years back, there was talk about 185-229 from College Point being swapped out for some of the Orion VII CNGs from West Farms, but they couldn't go through with it because the C40LFs were paid for with federal funds specifically for MTA Bus.

So the buses that came under the acquisition of MTA Bus are free to be transferred between the two companies, but any new bus order from MTA Bus can't be transferred over?

And why the Q52/53? Were those NYCT units?

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

So the buses that came under the acquisition of MTA Bus are free to be transferred between the two companies, but any new bus order from MTA Bus can't be transferred over?

And why the Q52/53? Were those NYCT units?

Yup. I believe the only exception were the ex-New York Bus Service MCIs. Those couldn't go anywhere outside of MTA Bus.

As for the Q52/Q53, those buses were originally supposed to be Manhattan & Brooklyn buses, but they steamrolled the launch of the Q52/Q53 SBS, so they relocated those buses over to Queens for said service.

1 minute ago, Cait Sith said:

Yup. I believe the only exception were the ex-New York Bus Service MCIs. Those couldn't go anywhere outside of MTA Bus.

As for the Q52/Q53, those buses were originally supposed to be Manhattan & Brooklyn buses, but they steamrolled the launch of the Q52/Q53 SBS, so they relocated those buses over to Queens for said service.

I see. So they are NYCT buses - just operating under the MTA Bus brand.