BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Several years back, there was talk about 185-229 from College Point being swapped out for some of the Orion VII CNGs from West Farms, but they couldn't go through with it because the C40LFs were paid for with federal funds specifically for MTA Bus.

Is there a valid reason for this anal regulation?

8 hours ago, paulrivera said:

And everywhere they went indeed 😆

maxresdefault.jpg

I feel like the a lot of city fleets would work better out in Nassau. Too bad Mitchel Field is an all CNG Depot because Nassau wants clean buses on their roads. Those Foothill Orion Vs may have look like junk, but they sure knew how to get people to their destination quickly. It's a shame that those CNG buses are useless once the tanks are expired. 

8 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Not exactly that. MTA never got federal funds for the private line buses, so those were free to go where ever.

So whenever the merger is complete and everything is under the same umbrella how would the situation with the buses work. Would the MTA, have to buy these bus so that they can be fully swapped anywhere?

8 hours ago, Lex said:

Is there a valid reason for this anal regulation?

There are stipulations in place for a reason, otherwise there's no point.  If those stipulations aren't followed, it could be mean federal funding being yanked in the future, something the (MTA) can ill afford.  Certain projects are eligible for federal funding (e.g. the SBS lines which are supposedly working as Bus Rapid Transit lines in lieu of actual subways), and the (MTA) along with NYC in general gets lots of it. It's in their interest that they play nice and abide by the stipulations. We've got a lot of new buses in place now in part with federal funds.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Why do off-peak :bus_bullet_bm1:/:bus_bullet_bm2:/:bus_bullet_bm3:/:bus_bullet_bm4: buses run via the FDR (and albeit downtown), whereas off-peak :bus_bullet_x27:/:bus_bullet_x28: buses run local? Also, shouldn't there be an express bus route to Borough Park? it is, after all, a very underserved area. Here is my proposal

On 8/29/2019 at 12:48 PM, Jova42R said:

X57 express:

runs Prevost X3-45s

out of Ulmer Park Depot

southern terminal: 60 St/1 Av

northern terminal: 72 St/Bway

Connects with:

(N)(R) at 59 St

(N) at 8 Av

(N) at Fort Hamilton Pky

(D) at 50 St

(2)(3)(4)(5)(R) at Borough Hall

(A)(C)(F)(R) at Jay St

(4)(5)(6)(J)(Z) at Brooklyn Bridge

(6) at 23 St

(R)(W) at 23 St

(F)(M) at 23 St

(1) at 23 St

(C)(E) at 23 St

(1) at 28 St

(1)(2)(3)(A)(C)(E) at Penn Station

(1)(2)(3)(7)(A)(C)(E)(N)(Q)(R)(W)(S) at Times Sq/PABT

(1) at 50 St

(C)(E) at 50 St

(B)(D)(E) at 7 Av

(1)(A)(B)(C)(D) at Columbus Circle

(1) at 66 St

(1)(2)(3) at 72 St

Runs via 60 St to 12 Av

up 12 av to 39 St

39 st to church av to ocean pky

up ocean pky to BQE. exit at atlantic av.

down atlantic to boerum pl.

brooklyn bridge to fdr drive

up fdr to 23 St

up 8 av/down 7 av to 59 st

up bway to 72 st

Edited by Jova42R

18 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

That would be 2817 from Eastchester, it's been there for quite a while now for some reason.

------------------------------------------------------------

Man, what in the actual f**k happened to the B44 last night around 9PM? The SBS fleet practically disappeared save for three buses. There was almost an hour-long gap in service Northbound. I waited from 9:00 to 9:45(I was getting videos of the B38 artics during that time), and I only saw ONE bus, 7630. No locals were seen either until like 10 to 10......

What time did the parade actually wrap up along Eastern Parkway? I bet that had something to do with the gap. That and whoever was in charge of the dispatching in the area . Just my take. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5
Additional thought

2 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

What time did the parade actually wrap up along Eastern Parkway? I bet that had something to do with the gap. That and whoever was in charge of the dispatching in the area . Just my take. Carry on.

I'm not sure. There were also no type of detours or delays posted for the B44 either. I just ended up going to the (G) and headed home.

Edited by Cait Sith

Not sure if this is a common thing for gaps on the B44-SBS.

While taking the (2) to Flatbush Av for the 44-Select to Sheepshead Bay, checking the app and the gps of the route, the next bus is at Gates Av to Knapp St. The other bus left at Church Av. This was on the phone at President St. Later, at Church Av, checking for a 44 and Select status, there was a bus online but it was 7639, a 40 footer Select. Wonder if the 44-Select is still short on artics at this point. 

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

In addition Über eats has returned back to the Manhattan Division. 

Very good! I really like those ads. The photos of the food are very pleasing to look at

47962833258_083506ea12_b.jpg

Hopefully the driver's side wraps return and it would be nice to see them in the Brooklyn Division too...

48185076571_7597799695_b.jpg

[from back in July]

Hale has Oatly on the back again. Saw this one today.

48675062226_388aa6cdd7_b.jpg

Edited by Around the Horn

18 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Very good! I really like those ads. The photos of the food are very pleasing to look at

47962833258_083506ea12_b.jpg

Hopefully the driver's side wraps return and it would be nice to see them in the Brooklyn Division too...

48185076571_7597799695_b.jpg

[from back in July]

Hale has Oatly on the back again. Saw this one today.

48675062226_388aa6cdd7_b.jpg

Yes. That would be perfect. Since the 4 big Brooklyn depots have NG’s and they all travel through the central business zone. This is a no brained to have the Über eats ads in the Brooklyn Division. To me it doesn’t matter. Rear or driverside wrap. 

11 hours ago, Jova42R said:

Why do off-peak :bus_bullet_bm1:/:bus_bullet_bm2:/:bus_bullet_bm3:/:bus_bullet_bm4: buses run via the FDR (and albeit downtown), whereas off-peak :bus_bullet_x27:/:bus_bullet_x28: buses run local? Also, shouldn't there be an express bus route to Borough Park? it is, after all, a very underserved area. Here is my proposal

It comes down to demographics and train service. The BMs try to serve areas away from the Q train, so it serves the Eastern parts of Midtown and Downtown since there is no train service there. The X27 and X28 serve different areas of Brooklyn, with a different demographic.

28 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

I saw a New Flyer XD60 on B38 with an Oatly ad. Most of them had the New “EVIL” ad with some having “Museum of Sex.”

That’s prolly a carryover from The Bronx. 

GA has gotten rid of most of The Bronx ads with exception of a few. Only the Manhattan Division and Flatbush* has updated Oatly ads only on rear only. 

26 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Guys... Just wondering here. Are there any routes that you feel should be at a certain depot as opposed to where they are currently at right now?

For Brooklyn Division. 

B36, B47, B48 to Flatbush. 

B60  to ENY 

Q58, 59 to Fresh Pond 

B4, B8, B68, B70, B82 to Ulmer Park  

*Thats all i could think of for now* 

37 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Guys... Just wondering here. Are there any routes that you feel should be at a certain depot as opposed to where they are currently at right now?

I would like to See the 

B47 ,B12 and B1 to FB

B4,B9 and B82 to UP

B20,B7,B60 to ENY 

Q39,Q58, to Pond 

46 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

I would like to see...

M31, M86, and M79 to TU

M60 to MV or MCH 

M35, M100 to MV 

34 minutes ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

I would like to See the 

B47 ,B12 and B1 to FB

B4,B9 and B82 to UP

B20,B7,B60 to ENY 

Q39,Q58, to Pond 

No to the B1, B12. Only b/c those buses stop at or near their respective depots. B12 stops directly at ENY. B9 is a toss up. Leave the 20 alone also. That’s in front of Fresh Pond along with the Q58. B1 is within minutes of Ulmer Park. The B7 has been a ping pong ever since leaving Flatbush. 

Q39 is MTA Bus so hands off on that. 

31 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

I would like to see...

M31, M86, and M79 to TU

M60 to MV or MCH 

M35, M100 to MV 

31 is already at TU. However, give the 86 back to TU and add the 79. But SBS politics have them at Quill. I hope that’s not the case when the M96 flips over. 

M60 does have a good ring at MCH. Sheesh turn it all artic for the M15 SBS + local and M60 only. 

M35- leave at MCH 

M100. That’s a toss up. One end is at Kingsbridge in front of depot. Other end is right near MCH. I wouldn’t want MV to cover. (IMO).