Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I actually worded #1 wrong.. The B41 to Empire (early ams)  I watched used to pop up as a s/b B44 from Eastern Parkway when I first started watching BusTime. I only remember one run doing that. That Church Avenue B41 drove me crazy. I checked B49 and B44 trips s/b from that area and could not find that particular bus number anywhere. Never occurred to me that the bus was NIS from there. I want to thank you and B35 for the help. Let’s see what other secrets I can dig up 😁. Carry on.

flatbush used to have wildcat runs like that back in the day.... 44 short signs to fulton that would dropback to Franklin for a southbound 49 trip... 41's to empire that would dropback to bedford for a southbound 49 trip... the weirdest one i knew of was a 44 short sign to fulton that would deadhead to cadman plaza for the 41... the list goes on. Flatbush used to be funky & quirky that way, especially with school runs on the 41, 44 & 49. the 46 & 47 (and going back further, with the B7 & B78) weren't all the way included in the madness. 

• Upvote 1

I love it when I catch a bus with a driver who really knows how to move a bus. Man those Q44 drivers at night can really make a 60ft bus fly down Main Street. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

flatbush used to have wildcat runs like that back in the day.... 44 short signs to fulton that would dropback to Franklin for a southbound 49 trip... 41's to empire that would dropback to bedford for a southbound 49 trip... the weirdest one i knew of was a 44 short sign to fulton that would deadhead to cadman plaza for the 41... the list goes on. Flatbush used to be funky & quirky that way, especially with school runs on the 41, 44 & 49. the 46 & 47 (and going back further, with the B7 & B78) weren't all the way included in the madness. 

When you mentioned that B78 it brought back memories of a conversation my friends and I had earlier this summer. We were all residents of Flatbush, today’s Prospect-Lefferts, and we all had family living in Bed-Stuy. There were two retired B/Os from ENY depot at the dinner and we were trying to explain to the young people that we didn’t use numbers for bus routes as a rule but street names instead. From west to east we had Flatbush, Rogers, Nostrand and Utica, with the Clarkson and the Church as the west-east lines. Prospect Park gave us the Kingston-Tompkins and the Franklin, with a side route ( B33 ) that nobody we knew took. This was before and after the main streets became one way. B41, B49, B44, B46 from west to east were the north-south lines while the B12, B35 covered the East Flatbush to Flatbush traffic. The B48 was straight up north from Empire Blvd but the B47 did a little west to east stint along Empire before heading north. Meanwhile after Kings Plaza opened the Transit created the B78 which traveled the southern Ralph Avenue portion to the Sutter Rutland IRT station on the East Flatbush-Brownsville border. Perhaps you can help me out here. When the old B40, “the “ Ralph Avenue bus to Bed-Stuy and Brownsville residents was discontinued from the eastern terminal why not rename the B78 to B40, at least for some continuity ? One of the B/O s at the dinner actually worked the Kingston Avenue version of the B47 for a time when it came out of ENY and he said it made no sense to the operators and the riders he knew when the old B47 was renamed to the B43. He said that was one of the reasons he went to a B45 Hawk and then a shifters job at East New York leading to retirement. We all agreed that the folks in charge screwed the pooch by not naming the B78 to B40 or even B43. I remember that BrooklynBus tried to explain the reasoning one time but, as I said to the Surface folks that day, now you see why the rest of put in our papers. There’s a lack of input from the riders and the employees on the ground IMO. Just my opinion. Carry on.

• Upvote 1

Another wrap spotted. This time on a LaGuardia express bus. This wrap is brought to by Nordstrom’s new location on 57th and Broadway. I expect Manhattan Division to definitely get this. However, possibly FB/GA/UP to get this also. 

New wrap campaign for October:  This one is from Capsule Pharmaceuticals. Wrap already spotted on MQ buses. I would expect this wrap to be throughout Manhattan Division with the possibility coming into Brooklyn Division depots. 

Can’t confirm but I hear the B48, B57 and B60 are returning to GA in exchange for the Q58 to FP

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, XBht26 said:

Can’t confirm but I hear the B48, B57 and B60 are returning to GA in exchange for the Q58 to FP

I wonder if that is true. Did you hear anything about the B13 at all?

14 hours ago, XBht26 said:

I've been hearing the same thing for a few months now, but haven't heard anything concrete just yet.

Why does the nypd allow those dollar vans to park on eastern parkway along Utica? I’m on the B46 sbs from an appointment and passing by the vans are parked along side the Utica Avenue side and even blocking the service road. 

Imagine nearly an hour gap in service on two limited stop routes with a combined headway of 12 minutes, because the amount of fare evasion on said routes is so rampant, the routes are basically neglected & left for dead.

30+ people waiting at each stop in Jamaica too.

All that’s left is to use O7’s instead of XD60’s & you’ve completed the recipe.

2 hours ago, Axis said:

Imagine nearly an hour gap in service on two limited stop routes with a combined headway of 12 minutes, because the amount of fare evasion on said routes is so rampant, the routes are basically neglected & left for dead.

Q5/85? 

2 hours ago, Axis said:

1 minute ago, NBTA said:

Q5/85? 

This sounds like the Q113/Q114...😟

3 minutes ago, B22viaAtlanticAv said:

This sounds like the Q113/Q114...😟

I see...

4 hours ago, Axis said:

After your claim about missing the so-called "last Q44 of the night". I have doubts when it comes to any sort of credibility with your constant complaints.

Edited by Cait Sith
  • Thanks 1
  • LMAO! 3
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

After your claim about missing the so-called "last Q44 of the night". I have doubts when it comes to any sort of credibility with your constant complaints.

Not my fault no one else on this forum uses the Brewer Blvd routes often enough to understand.

New wrap campaign spotted last night in Manhattan. This one for the new HBO series Watchmen. Right now only on MQ buses. I don’t think this one will make it to the other Brooklyn depots with exception of Ulmer Park express buses. 

17 hours ago, NBTA said:

Q5/85? 

Nah, the masses basically pile on at Jamaica Center... The Merrick/Archer stop sees much lesser usage; moderate at best....

With the Brewer routes however, he's right.... There's usually mounds of people waiting for them at any of those stops along Archer....

12 hours ago, Axis said:

Not my fault no one else on this forum uses the Brewer Blvd routes often enough to understand.

It isn't anyone else's fault that you continually incessantly whimper about some facet of this anomalous, long distance, multi-legged commute you just have to make known somehow on here....

I personally don't care if you're fabricating any of this or not, but our supposed lack of understanding of the crowding & farebeating on the Brewer routes isn't remotely the issue here...

Edited by B35 via Church
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

I wonder if the Q10 will be next in line for luggage racks on their XD-60s.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Honestly, that should of been done years ago.. However, it's never too late for the line to get luggage racks.

11 hours ago, Calvin said:

Don't know if its just me, but I have rarely seen people with luggage on the Q10. I've seen more airport workers on that bus then travelers. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

Don't know if its just me, but I have rarely seen people with luggage on the Q10. I've seen more airport workers on that bus then travelers. 

exactly. Q3, Q10 & B15 are all about airport employees.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

exactly. Q3, Q10 & B15 are all about airport employees.

....and the M60 & Q70 are about airport travelers.

I see a trend.... The routes that the MTA does advertise, attracts out-of-towners & the ones that they don't, remain dormant continue to fall to the wayside.... The lack of advertising of public buses has been a talking point of mine & it shouldn't have had to have taken SBS for them to be proactive in this category....

1 hour ago, Jdog14 said:

Oh, it aint just you & you're not going to see much of 'em either.... Toting around luggage/baggage coming off Lefferts (A) or 121st (J) is a PITA & god help anyone with baggage waiting in that epic line for the bus at QB, to then have to ride the full route just to get to the airport....

• Upvote 3