BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Axis said:

Actually, it is the drivers’ fault. They have the willpower to challenge & question the unnecessary & outdated runtime by simply going faster, as the busways are intended to be used for. Yet they conform & cower, like cowards.

Someone doesn't have bills to pay I see....

20 hours ago, Axis said:

Actually, it is the drivers’ fault. They have the willpower to challenge & question the unnecessary & outdated runtime by simply going faster, as the busways are intended to be used for. Yet they conform & cower, like cowards.

Drivers can't go faster. They're being monitored by cameras and GPS installed in the buses. I learned this the other day from a NICE bus driver doing an afternoon run on the Mercy Medical Shuttle. 

On 10/18/2019 at 12:53 PM, Axis said:

Since I didn't see an  / s at the end of your post I guess you were serious  about your post. Let's say a B/O has 55 minutes to get from point A to point B. That's the guideline he/she has to adhere to. Are you actually advocating the B/O should break that guideline because he/she feels like it ? IDK if you are gainfully employed anywhere or if you're  a student yet to enter the workforce so here's a bit of advice from someone who put in 30 years in Transit and 50 years total in the workforce. The quickest way to lose a job is to disobey the rules/ guidelines. Unless you own your company you CYA and abide by your employer's rules. That's rule # 1 anywhere you go. Carry on.

It's also worth noting that while running hot may be good for people already on the bus, it's not good for people who made plans to board the bus according to its schedule.

There's no way to tell that your bus is early, and there's not much you can do about an early bus except wait. If the next bus is ontime, you're now waiting a lot longer.

Schedules exist for a reason, fighting them isn't some sexy act of rebellion.

Edited by bobtehpanda

Boarded a crowded B3 to the (Q) train station from Av. U and W.7 St. 

-At Ocean Pkwy, two folks got on the rear door without fare. Op stops the bus and doesn't move b/c, they didn't pay on board.

Resulting them giving a finger. Then, it went back in-service and left to its destination. That was 7 mins gone to waste.  

Message was: "No fare = No Ride"

Edited by Calvin

Cowards? Wow.

My passengers have insults that hurt marginally more than that. 

So in other words, you want operators to break their paddles and the rules just for you, so they can get fired.....I thought the "last Q44 of the night" would be the dumbest thing you have ever said.

You surely 1-upped yourself this time.

Edited by Cait Sith

32 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Yukon and Charleston both have this wrap. Saw them today on Hylan Blvd.

I've yet to see them at Ulmer Park; right now its a lot of Postmates wraps with some Casper wraps.

I did spot one on a Ulmer Park bus sometime on Friday. It's a 24xx bus. I was driving thru Midtown when I spotted it. Couldn't get a pic.

However, UP does have it tho. You might see it in Bay Ridge via X27..

Those Casper wraps could make it to the other Brooklyn Division depots within a few days.

However:  This particular wrap spotted at: MQ/MHV,MCH and now Flatbush Ave (FB)..

url%5D

5 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Forgot to post this, but 7780 (A XD40 that is not SBS wrapped) was on the 82 SBS yesterday, for anybody who cares lol

Ive seen regular XD40s on the 82 SBS few times along with 7649 local scheme on the 46 SBS lol

Edited by Jdog14

I wonder how Gun Hill and Yukon kept doing fleet rotations during time basics.

Meaning: before at GH, it was 1200 LFSAs but then using 5700/800/300 LFSAs (Before the new ones arrived).

Yukon, I remember they had 2400s assigned there but end up moving some of the units to Ulmer Park for MCI removal but, still had their share of 2011 Prevosts (That is when the 2500s Prevosts start arriving there)

Edited by Calvin

25 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Apparently, people are complaining that traffic on 13th St has become worse ever since the busway project went into effect.

As someone who is frequently in the area, it certainly appears that is the case. They even had to get a traffic cop to stand at 5th Avenue and allow the cars to go before their light turns green, to help clear out the backup more quickly.

5 minutes ago, P3F said:

As someone who is frequently in the area, it certainly appears that is the case. They even had to get a traffic cop to stand at 5th Avenue and allow the cars to go before their light turns green, to help clear out the backup more quickly.

There is construction being done in parts of 12th and 13th which contributes to the traffic. The wide bike lanes are also a big contributor.

Edited by Cait Sith

Flatbush Av was packed by Livingston St and Pacific St this evening. On-board 7649, the B41 Limited to Kings Plaza: from Nevins St to Atlantic terminal, the average time to the next stop is 30 mins (lots of vehicles and dollar vans coming through with shuttle buses for the Q)

Edited by Calvin

10 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Flatbush Av was packed by Livingston St and Pacific St this evening. On-board 7649, the B41 Limited to Kings Plaza: from Nevins St to Atlantic terminal, the average time to the next stop is 30 mins (lots of vehicles and dollar vans coming through with shuttle buses for the Q)

Halloween weekend. 

9 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

So it’s 7 in the morning on a Sunday and there are 3 Main Street bound Q17’s bunches up around Kissena Blvd and Horace Harding Expressway. How does the MTA explain that? 

there are a few possibilities... late pull-out(s) that weren't adjusted, an operator or operators could've taken a personal and weren't adjusted, technical malfunction on a bus, bus operator(s) refusing to pass their leader because of any of the aforementioned reasons, poor coordination from bus command center because it's sunday morning (which is relatively common throughout the system and has been on Sunday mornings for years) traffic or accident(s) in the area impeding buses from safely maneuvering thru the area... 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry