BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

23 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I heard there was an XN-60 on the B67 Saturday night due to lack of service

In fact it's there with all this screaming:

If there was this much excitement for it showing up on the B67, I do not want to know what it would have been like if it showed up on the B69.

(Alright I'll leave...)

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whenever it comes to movies being filmed, why doesnt the MTA lend a bus to use for a scene that is trying to "authenticate" a symbol of New York. Do they lend buses to movies if they are asked like the way they do lend a Movie Train set? Unless if its a scene where a bus gets destroyed, I think the MTA could lend a bus thats just sitting at a depot not doing anything (like a bus at Eastchester or a Museum Bus) and make a minor profit.

Edited by Q23 via 108

#5396 on the 1:50 PM Q114 out of Jamaica shows up 10 minutes late, B/O goes super slow (braking at every single yellow light), gets slowed down further at 137 Av due to construction. Finally, he spontaneously decides to take himself out of service at Brewer/Farmers. Kicks all 70+ of us off the bus with no explanation, then just proceeds to go for a walk. Comes back after the Q113 behind him picks up most of the new load, then puts the bus back in service.

13 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Whenever it comes to movies being filmed, why doesnt the MTA lend a bus to use for a scene that is trying to "authenticate" a symbol of New York. Do they lend buses to movies if they are asked like the way they do lend a Movie Train set? Unless if its a scene where a bus gets destroyed, I think the MTA could lend a bus thats just sitting at a depot not doing anything (like a bus at Eastchester or a Museum Bus) and make a minor profit.

because MTA buses are technically government property, and I'm assuming that there are insurance liability issues... it's like asking why movies can't/won't use the actual white house or city hall to film tv shows or movies

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

4 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I heard it was because they sent out too many standards on subway shuttles...

yeah with the headways on the 67, i wouldn't presume it being artic converted anytime soon... there are 2 other Gleason lines off the top of my head that could push that argument (the 68 or 63) but i highly doubt there are enough artics in that yard for the 35, another line & spares for both 

15 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

This has happened occasionally. Usually what you see are prop buses if a movie needs an interior shot and stops traffic, or real buses if the shoot goes on with actual traffic passing. But some movies have used actual MTA buses. "The We and the I" from a few years back was shot entirely on a Kingsbridge or Gun Hill O7 NG, can't remember which. Odd little movie, interesting though.

On 10/28/2019 at 9:11 AM, Q23 via 108 said:

There are many logistics to be worked out.  There are lots of films shot around where I work and live.  A lot of prep time goes into each shot, not to mention getting access to shoot, etc. I've even seen them cover up street signs and close down parts of streets to shoot some scenes.  Trying to work all of that out and get the props is not easy, and I would imagine that the (MTA) would not just lend out one of their buses for free. If they do, more power to them... 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

15 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

yeah with the headways on the 67, i wouldn't presume it being artic converted anytime soon... there are 2 other Gleason lines off the top of my head that could push that argument (the 68 or 63) but i highly doubt there are enough artics in that yard for the 35, another line & spares for both 

The 63?! What about the B8?

On 10/28/2019 at 9:11 AM, Q23 via 108 said:

I believe there is an actual retired MTA RTS that is owned by some prop company that a lot of movie shoots will rent out. I think they can change the fake destination sign based on the needs, too

9 hours ago, NBTA said:

The 63?! What about the B8?

can't argue that... the 8 as well, but as i said, off the top of my head, those 2 lines were the first that came to mind. when I was growing up, the 8 ran out of Ulmer Park (and later, ENY)... regardless of how long it's been, i still forget at times that the 8 runs out of JG (it's still weird to me) 

4 hours ago, Snorunts said:

Nah, artics wouldn’t be good on the B63 (especially on 5th Avenue).

people said the same thing about church avenue... if nypd traffic actually enforced double parking re: truck deliveries, that would possibly help... but all in all my general point was that there are several lines in Brooklyn that will/should be artic conversion well before a second JG line gets it, and technically it's not possible for another artic JG line... maybe down the road, but my intent wasn't to conjure up a fantasy thread

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry
blasted mobile foolishness

On 10/29/2019 at 12:25 AM, MHV9218 said:

This has happened occasionally. Usually what you see are prop buses if a movie needs an interior shot and stops traffic, or real buses if the shoot goes on with actual traffic passing. But some movies have used actual MTA buses. "The We and the I" from a few years back was shot entirely on a Kingsbridge or Gun Hill O7 NG, can't remember which. Odd little movie, interesting though.

As well as the David Letterman show and other shows.

There's an episode of the David Letterman show where they used a revenue service RTS for a skit. It's somewhere on YouTube as the full episode.

2 minutes ago, Axis said:

And of course everytime the Q114 is a no-show, I pay $6 for a rail ticket. But y’all don’t care. You CAN’T care.

Taken from MTA.info

'Until further notice

Q113 LTD and Q114 LTD buses are rerouted from Liberty Av at 160 St in both directions due to construction - No stops are missed

Various Queens local and select buses are running with delays in both directions because of traffic in Jamaica. See mta.info'

In reply to the discussion about MTA buses being used in movies. IIRC an old look bus was used in a recently filmed movie, saw it on Reddit a while back but can't find the pic...

However I did find this pic of what is most likely museum Fishbowl 100 being used for an movie shoot..

3w45fl2hj5z11.jpg

They also once used museum bus 5227 in a parade about two years ago. From I seen recently they usually use Cuomo XD40 for parades (the bus reps the TWU in the parades).

The Q10 doesn't seem to lay over too much at the Kew Gardens end. They seem to have more of a break on the JFK end.

Most times when I've cut it close time-wise and wanted a Limited at the Kew Gardens end, there would usually be a local Q10 waiting, and what becomes the LTD arrives as a local, drops off its previous passengers, then boards any stragglers that missed the other bus, and heads right back out.

Meanwhile, I'm rounding the first corner on the local Q10 watching all this unfold, assuming the Limited bus had already left because the latter bus wasn't there by the time I got up from the subway.

Yet, from JFK I get the Limited Q10 easy-peasy. Probably because there's always 2 artics laying over down there and one of them is bound to be the Limited one.

Edited by paulrivera

9 hours ago, Calvin said:

https://bklyner.com/drive-and-shut-your-mouth-n-word-man-says-to-mta-driver/?fbclid=IwAR1Be06lCxYgpDcx4XWK3lhDjCjyqbAsSb2h4eFgDhopOs69OIyQ_hyJnD4

A guy spit on the walkway to the bus and he didn't pay his fare b/c "it was late". That was the B68

People can say this incident is anomalous or whatever, but I'm not the least bit surprised....

Passenger-driver interactions (for the worse) are only going to increase; especially considering impending fare increases, on top of the deteriorating commuter experience (service cuts, route alterations, OTP/reliability, [increased] duration on the bus, etc.).... Said experience is a reason farebeating's been rampant in this city for a minute now - So much so that it's actually been culturalized (as embarrassing as that sounds) here.....

8 hours ago, paulrivera said:

The Q10 doesn't seem to lay over too much at the Kew Gardens end. They seem to have more of a break on the JFK end......

Yep, I've also picked up on that.... Seems to me it's been more of a thing ever since the Q10 got articulated......

10 hours ago, Calvin said:

https://bklyner.com/drive-and-shut-your-mouth-n-word-man-says-to-mta-driver/?fbclid=IwAR1Be06lCxYgpDcx4XWK3lhDjCjyqbAsSb2h4eFgDhopOs69OIyQ_hyJnD4

A guy spit on the walkway to the bus and he didn't pay his fare b/c "it was late". That was the B68

It’s a sad reality that a frustrated passenger would go on a tirade as this. Hopefully, this sucker gets his ass locked up for assault. But as @B35 via Church eluded with the pending fare increases, bus and train cuts across the board transit personnel are going to encounter trouble like this. 

No driver nor any transit personnel should be subjected to this type of tirade under any circumstance. Whether the bus was late or not.