Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, Jdog14 said:

Ive seen regular XD40s on the 82 SBS few times along with 7649 local scheme on the 46 SBS lol

I've seen SBS LFSAs on the Bx22, so now we have both sides of the fence covered.

I wonder how Gun Hill and Yukon kept doing fleet rotations during time basics.

Meaning: before at GH, it was 1200 LFSAs but then using 5700/800/300 LFSAs (Before the new ones arrived).

Yukon, I remember they had 2400s assigned there but end up moving some of the units to Ulmer Park for MCI removal but, still had their share of 2011 Prevosts (That is when the 2500s Prevosts start arriving there)

Edited by Calvin

Apparently, people are complaining that traffic on 13th St has become worse ever since the busway project went into effect.

25 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Apparently, people are complaining that traffic on 13th St has become worse ever since the busway project went into effect.

As someone who is frequently in the area, it certainly appears that is the case. They even had to get a traffic cop to stand at 5th Avenue and allow the cars to go before their light turns green, to help clear out the backup more quickly.

5 minutes ago, P3F said:

As someone who is frequently in the area, it certainly appears that is the case. They even had to get a traffic cop to stand at 5th Avenue and allow the cars to go before their light turns green, to help clear out the backup more quickly.

There is construction being done in parts of 12th and 13th which contributes to the traffic. The wide bike lanes are also a big contributor.

Edited by Cait Sith
  • Upvote 1

Flatbush Av was packed by Livingston St and Pacific St this evening. On-board 7649, the B41 Limited to Kings Plaza: from Nevins St to Atlantic terminal, the average time to the next stop is 30 mins (lots of vehicles and dollar vans coming through with shuttle buses for the Q)

Edited by Calvin

10 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Flatbush Av was packed by Livingston St and Pacific St this evening. On-board 7649, the B41 Limited to Kings Plaza: from Nevins St to Atlantic terminal, the average time to the next stop is 30 mins (lots of vehicles and dollar vans coming through with shuttle buses for the Q)

Halloween weekend. 

So it’s 7 in the morning on a Sunday and there are 3 Main Street bound Q17’s bunched up around Kissena Blvd and Horace Harding Expressway. How does the MTA explain that? 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

9 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

So it’s 7 in the morning on a Sunday and there are 3 Main Street bound Q17’s bunches up around Kissena Blvd and Horace Harding Expressway. How does the MTA explain that? 

there are a few possibilities... late pull-out(s) that weren't adjusted, an operator or operators could've taken a personal and weren't adjusted, technical malfunction on a bus, bus operator(s) refusing to pass their leader because of any of the aforementioned reasons, poor coordination from bus command center because it's sunday morning (which is relatively common throughout the system and has been on Sunday mornings for years) traffic or accident(s) in the area impeding buses from safely maneuvering thru the area... 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

I heard there was an XN-60 on the B67 Saturday night due to lack of service

In fact, it's there with all this screaming

Edited by Calvin
  • LMAO! 5

23 minutes ago, Calvin said:

In fact it's there with all this screaming:

If there was this much excitement for it showing up on the B67, I do not want to know what it would have been like if it showed up on the B69.

(Alright I'll leave...)

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven
  • LMAO! 3

6 hours ago, Calvin said:

In fact, it's there with all this screaming

I see the next Gleason line for an artic conversion. But, the screaming is unnecessary 

• Upvote 1

Whenever it comes to movies being filmed, why doesnt the MTA lend a bus to use for a scene that is trying to "authenticate" a symbol of New York. Do they lend buses to movies if they are asked like the way they do lend a Movie Train set? Unless if its a scene where a bus gets destroyed, I think the MTA could lend a bus thats just sitting at a depot not doing anything (like a bus at Eastchester or a Museum Bus) and make a minor profit.

Edited by Q23 via 108

#5396 on the 1:50 PM Q114 out of Jamaica shows up 10 minutes late, B/O goes super slow (braking at every single yellow light), gets slowed down further at 137 Av due to construction. Finally, he spontaneously decides to take himself out of service at Brewer/Farmers. Kicks all 70+ of us off the bus with no explanation, then just proceeds to go for a walk. Comes back after the Q113 behind him picks up most of the new load, then puts the bus back in service.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Whenever it comes to movies being filmed, why doesnt the MTA lend a bus to use for a scene that is trying to "authenticate" a symbol of New York. Do they lend buses to movies if they are asked like the way they do lend a Movie Train set? Unless if its a scene where a bus gets destroyed, I think the MTA could lend a bus thats just sitting at a depot not doing anything (like a bus at Eastchester or a Museum Bus) and make a minor profit.

because MTA buses are technically government property, and I'm assuming that there are insurance liability issues... it's like asking why movies can't/won't use the actual white house or city hall to film tv shows or movies

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Calvin said:

I heard it was because they sent out too many standards on subway shuttles...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I heard it was because they sent out too many standards on subway shuttles...

yeah with the headways on the 67, i wouldn't presume it being artic converted anytime soon... there are 2 other Gleason lines off the top of my head that could push that argument (the 68 or 63) but i highly doubt there are enough artics in that yard for the 35, another line & spares for both 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I see the next Gleason line for an artic conversion. But, the screaming is unnecessary 

The B67 doesn't have enough ridership for that to happen. 

15 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

This has happened occasionally. Usually what you see are prop buses if a movie needs an interior shot and stops traffic, or real buses if the shoot goes on with actual traffic passing. But some movies have used actual MTA buses. "The We and the I" from a few years back was shot entirely on a Kingsbridge or Gun Hill O7 NG, can't remember which. Odd little movie, interesting though.

• Upvote 1

On 10/28/2019 at 9:11 AM, Q23 via 108 said:

There are many logistics to be worked out.  There are lots of films shot around where I work and live.  A lot of prep time goes into each shot, not to mention getting access to shoot, etc. I've even seen them cover up street signs and close down parts of streets to shoot some scenes.  Trying to work all of that out and get the props is not easy, and I would imagine that the (MTA) would not just lend out one of their buses for free. If they do, more power to them... 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

15 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

yeah with the headways on the 67, i wouldn't presume it being artic converted anytime soon... there are 2 other Gleason lines off the top of my head that could push that argument (the 68 or 63) but i highly doubt there are enough artics in that yard for the 35, another line & spares for both 

The 63?! What about the B8?

4 hours ago, NBTA said:

Nah, artics wouldn’t be good on the B63 (especially on 5th Avenue).

On 10/28/2019 at 9:11 AM, Q23 via 108 said:

I believe there is an actual retired MTA RTS that is owned by some prop company that a lot of movie shoots will rent out. I think they can change the fake destination sign based on the needs, too

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, NBTA said:

can't argue that... the 8 as well, but as i said, off the top of my head, those 2 lines were the first that came to mind. when I was growing up, the 8 ran out of Ulmer Park (and later, ENY)... regardless of how long it's been, i still forget at times that the 8 runs out of JG (it's still weird to me)