BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

45 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yep, I've also picked up on that.... Seems to me it's been more of a thing ever since the Q10 got articulated......

It makes sense for operations (there's more space to layover at JFK compared to Kew Gardens), but it gets kinda annoying at Kew Gardens if you're looking for a particular bus at a specific time, especially the Limited which generally runs every 15 minutes..

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I'm not quite sure what exactly they changed but it's a whole lot less cluttered than before. I like it.

Neighborhood and borough names are (often) larger, but transparent (and in a different font). Commuter rail-related info is much smaller, and no rail stations have highlighted names (and yes, the font is different). Some streets have more selective downsizing of their names when compared to previous iterations. As for the colors, they're considerably less robust unless they pertain to MTA services (I should note that the (S)huttles' bullet uses a shade of gray similar to the (L)'s, whereas it previously used what is basically black).

12 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I'm not quite sure what exactly they changed but it's a whole lot less cluttered than before. I like it.

They gave the Brooklyn Map an old school type vibe, with the Font, and how the bus line squares are.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:41 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The B3 used to go south of Avenue U and deeper into Bergen Beach at all times, before 2010. 

All times except overnight.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:44 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Copy. Which could only mean that other side of Bergen Beach is car centric and not wise for the B3 or B41 to service south of East 71 & Avenue U. 

That general part of Brooklyn is pretty car-centric. But it's only a few blocks at most so it's not as if they have no transit service whatsoever.

The other thing is from an operations perspective, it is rather silly to have a short-turn terminal a few blocks from the full-length terminal. Say an Avenue X bus is running late and the follower (an Avenue U/71st Street) bus caught up. Under normal circumstances the dispatcher might have the Avenue X bus flag some stops to get back on schedule, but then you'll get complaints from the few passengers who need to get past East 71st. 

It's the same reason I think the Bx27 service pattern is stupid (having some buses start/end at the ferry and others start/end a few blocks down, especially since there are homes right near the ferry terminal, so it's not like there is no ridership besides ferry-bound patrons)

On 5/26/2019 at 11:05 PM, S78 via Hylan said:

The B/O could have been instructed by dispatch to do drop-off only as he might have been running late. I’ve experienced this before.

The bus was on detour, so it's always been a free-for-all as far as what B/Os do.

Feel free to share your opinions on this but I heard that Columbia University bought the land that Manhattanville Depot sits on so would this mean its closure is imminent? If so what's the move? Reopen 126th? Or maybe even repurposing Amsterdam depot? Either way I'm intrigued on the future of Manhattanville 

4 minutes ago, sub 3777 said:

Feel free to share your opinions on this but I heard that Columbia University bought the land that Manhattanville Depot sits on so would this mean its closure is imminent? If so what's the move? Reopen 126th? Or maybe even repurposing Amsterdam depot? Either way I'm intrigued on the future of Manhattanville 

I don't know where you heard about this but Manhattanville Depot isn't closing anytime soon. It's confirmed that the MTA wouldn't move Manhattanville at all. In addition renovations for Manhattanville Depot already started so I don't know why they would accept to buy the land now especially when the MTA knows it just wasted money for facade fixing and now trying to convert Manhattanville into an all green depot

7 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

I don't know where you heard about this but Manhattanville Depot isn't closing anytime soon. It's confirmed that the MTA wouldn't move Manhattanville at all. In addition renovations for Manhattanville Depot already started so I don't know why they would accept to buy the land now especially when the MTA knows it just wasted money for facade fixing and now trying to convert Manhattanville into an all green depot

heard it from two operators I talked to out of MHV, only saying what I heard from them.

43 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

Interesting.... I wonder if they are going to build another depot for Manhattanville replacement. I know for a fact Quill, Tuskegee and Mother Clara Hale can't handle Manhattanville's routes

I mean I would think 126 could substitute it, and as far as routes maybe routes like say the 98 could go to Tuskegee cause of the whole 3rd Avenue stretch it goes along 

Why doesn't the (MTA) make a special marathon day schedule for Staten Island bus routes since the Express buses have to make long detours and the VNB closed? Have the ferry and SIR run every 15 minutes and all of the ferry buses run 15 minutes or better since the ferry is going to be the only way out without sitting in traffic. Maybe also have S89 service run every 20 minutes to connect with the HBLR?

16 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Why doesn't the (MTA) make a special marathon day schedule for Staten Island bus routes since the Express buses have to make long detours and the VNB closed? Have the ferry and SIR run every 15 minutes and all of the ferry buses run 15 minutes or better since the ferry is going to be the only way out without sitting in traffic. Maybe also have S89 service run every 20 minutes to connect with the HBLR?

I agree with this. Also the Marathon short turns citywide should all have sign codes for them.

On 11/3/2019 at 7:49 AM, Lil 57 said:

11 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I agree with this. Also the Marathon short turns citywide should all have sign codes for them.

Should be pretty simple, they finally came up with (and posted) actual schedules for MLK Day and Day after Thanksgiving for Express Buses. And since those are basically Sunday schedules (under the Sunday/holiday designation), why not just use those.

If the LIRR can create separate timetables every time weekend work is done, NYCT/MTABus could certainly do the same.

On 11/3/2019 at 7:49 AM, Lil 57 said:

That's a tad bit excessive. You also gotta look at what streets are closed nearby too.

Marathon detours are consistent, but the length of how long those detours last change every year. The MTA would have to work with the City and the DOT to create such a schedule/map/whatever. And seeing as how the marathon is citywide, that's just a waste of time to do considering that things always change on a dime.

The marathon is only on one day of the entire year, if there were more, I'd agree, but creating such a big thing for one day is a waste of time.