Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Snorunts said:

Nah, artics wouldn’t be good on the B63 (especially on 5th Avenue).

people said the same thing about church avenue... if nypd traffic actually enforced double parking re: truck deliveries, that would possibly help... but all in all my general point was that there are several lines in Brooklyn that will/should be artic conversion well before a second JG line gets it, and technically it's not possible for another artic JG line... maybe down the road, but my intent wasn't to conjure up a fantasy thread

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry
blasted mobile foolishness
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2019 at 12:25 AM, MHV9218 said:

This has happened occasionally. Usually what you see are prop buses if a movie needs an interior shot and stops traffic, or real buses if the shoot goes on with actual traffic passing. But some movies have used actual MTA buses. "The We and the I" from a few years back was shot entirely on a Kingsbridge or Gun Hill O7 NG, can't remember which. Odd little movie, interesting though.

As well as the David Letterman show and other shows.

There's an episode of the David Letterman show where they used a revenue service RTS for a skit. It's somewhere on YouTube as the full episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And of course everytime the Q114 is a no-show, I pay $6 for a rail ticket. But y’all don’t care. You CAN’T care.

  • LMAO! 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Axis said:

And of course everytime the Q114 is a no-show, I pay $6 for a rail ticket. But y’all don’t care. You CAN’T care.

Taken from MTA.info

'Until further notice

Q113 LTD and Q114 LTD buses are rerouted from Liberty Av at 160 St in both directions due to construction - No stops are missed

Various Queens local and select buses are running with delays in both directions because of traffic in Jamaica. See mta.info'

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In reply to the discussion about MTA buses being used in movies. IIRC an old look bus was used in a recently filmed movie, saw it on Reddit a while back but can't find the pic...

 

However I did find this pic of what is most likely museum Fishbowl 100 being used for an movie shoot..

 

3w45fl2hj5z11.jpg

 

They also once used museum bus 5227 in a parade about two years ago. From I seen recently they usually use Cuomo XD40 for parades (the bus reps the TWU in the parades).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Q10 doesn't seem to lay over too much at the Kew Gardens end. They seem to have more of a break on the JFK end.

Most times when I've cut it close time-wise and wanted a Limited at the Kew Gardens end, there would usually be a local Q10 waiting, and what becomes the LTD arrives as a local, drops off its previous passengers, then boards any stragglers that missed the other bus, and heads right back out.

Meanwhile, I'm rounding the first corner on the local Q10 watching all this unfold, assuming the Limited bus had already left because the latter bus wasn't there by the time I got up from the subway.

Yet, from JFK I get the Limited Q10 easy-peasy. Probably because there's always 2 artics laying over down there and one of them is bound to be the Limited one.

Edited by paulrivera

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Calvin said:

https://bklyner.com/drive-and-shut-your-mouth-n-word-man-says-to-mta-driver/?fbclid=IwAR1Be06lCxYgpDcx4XWK3lhDjCjyqbAsSb2h4eFgDhopOs69OIyQ_hyJnD4

A guy spit on the walkway to the bus and he didn't pay his fare b/c "it was late". That was the B68

People can say this incident is anomalous or whatever, but I'm not the least bit surprised....

Passenger-driver interactions (for the worse) are only going to increase; especially considering impending fare increases, on top of the deteriorating commuter experience (service cuts, route alterations, OTP/reliability, [increased] duration on the bus, etc.).... Said experience is a reason farebeating's been rampant in this city for a minute now - So much so that it's actually been culturalized (as embarrassing as that sounds) here.....

8 hours ago, paulrivera said:

The Q10 doesn't seem to lay over too much at the Kew Gardens end. They seem to have more of a break on the JFK end......

Yep, I've also picked up on that.... Seems to me it's been more of a thing ever since the Q10 got articulated......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Calvin said:

https://bklyner.com/drive-and-shut-your-mouth-n-word-man-says-to-mta-driver/?fbclid=IwAR1Be06lCxYgpDcx4XWK3lhDjCjyqbAsSb2h4eFgDhopOs69OIyQ_hyJnD4

A guy spit on the walkway to the bus and he didn't pay his fare b/c "it was late". That was the B68

It’s a sad reality that a frustrated passenger would go on a tirade as this. Hopefully, this sucker gets his ass locked up for assault. But as @B35 via Church eluded with the pending fare increases, bus and train cuts across the board transit personnel are going to encounter trouble like this. 

No driver nor any transit personnel should be subjected to this type of tirade under any circumstance. Whether the bus was late or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yep, I've also picked up on that.... Seems to me it's been more of a thing ever since the Q10 got articulated......

It makes sense for operations (there's more space to layover at JFK compared to Kew Gardens), but it gets kinda annoying at Kew Gardens if you're looking for a particular bus at a specific time, especially the Limited which generally runs every 15 minutes..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The MTA updated the Brooklyn and Manhattan bus maps.

Is it me, or do the changes make the maps look emptier than they really are?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Lex said:

The MTA updated the Brooklyn and Manhattan bus maps.

Is it me, or do the changes make the maps look emptier than they really are?

Just the Manhattan map IMO.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lex said:

The MTA updated the Brooklyn and Manhattan bus maps.

Is it me, or do the changes make the maps look emptier than they really are?

I'm not quite sure what exactly they changed but it's a whole lot less cluttered than before. I like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I'm not quite sure what exactly they changed but it's a whole lot less cluttered than before. I like it.

Neighborhood and borough names are (often) larger, but transparent (and in a different font). Commuter rail-related info is much smaller, and no rail stations have highlighted names (and yes, the font is different). Some streets have more selective downsizing of their names when compared to previous iterations. As for the colors, they're considerably less robust unless they pertain to MTA services (I should note that the (S)huttles' bullet uses a shade of gray similar to the (L)'s, whereas it previously used what is basically black).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if the shuttle bus over the Henry Hudson Bridge (now that the pathway is closed) is reliable? I plan on taking the noon one out of Dyckman tomorrow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I'm not quite sure what exactly they changed but it's a whole lot less cluttered than before. I like it.

They gave the Brooklyn Map an old school type vibe, with the Font, and how the bus line squares are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 6:41 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The B3 used to go south of Avenue U and deeper into Bergen Beach at all times, before 2010. 

All times except overnight.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:44 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Copy. Which could only mean that other side of Bergen Beach is car centric and not wise for the B3 or B41 to service south of East 71 & Avenue U. 

That general part of Brooklyn is pretty car-centric. But it's only a few blocks at most so it's not as if they have no transit service whatsoever.

The other thing is from an operations perspective, it is rather silly to have a short-turn terminal a few blocks from the full-length terminal. Say an Avenue X bus is running late and the follower (an Avenue U/71st Street) bus caught up. Under normal circumstances the dispatcher might have the Avenue X bus flag some stops to get back on schedule, but then you'll get complaints from the few passengers who need to get past East 71st. 

It's the same reason I think the Bx27 service pattern is stupid (having some buses start/end at the ferry and others start/end a few blocks down, especially since there are homes right near the ferry terminal, so it's not like there is no ridership besides ferry-bound patrons)

On 5/26/2019 at 11:05 PM, S78 via Hylan said:

The B/O could have been instructed by dispatch to do drop-off only as he might have been running late. I’ve experienced this before.

The bus was on detour, so it's always been a free-for-all as far as what B/Os do.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feel free to share your opinions on this but I heard that Columbia University bought the land that Manhattanville Depot sits on so would this mean its closure is imminent? If so what's the move? Reopen 126th? Or maybe even repurposing Amsterdam depot? Either way I'm intrigued on the future of Manhattanville 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sub 3777 said:

Feel free to share your opinions on this but I heard that Columbia University bought the land that Manhattanville Depot sits on so would this mean its closure is imminent? If so what's the move? Reopen 126th? Or maybe even repurposing Amsterdam depot? Either way I'm intrigued on the future of Manhattanville 

I don't know where you heard about this but Manhattanville Depot isn't closing anytime soon. It's confirmed that the MTA wouldn't move Manhattanville at all. In addition renovations for Manhattanville Depot already started so I don't know why they would accept to buy the land now especially when the MTA knows it just wasted money for facade fixing and now trying to convert Manhattanville into an all green depot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

I don't know where you heard about this but Manhattanville Depot isn't closing anytime soon. It's confirmed that the MTA wouldn't move Manhattanville at all. In addition renovations for Manhattanville Depot already started so I don't know why they would accept to buy the land now especially when the MTA knows it just wasted money for facade fixing and now trying to convert Manhattanville into an all green depot

heard it from two operators I talked to out of MHV, only saying what I heard from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting.... I wonder if they are going to build another depot for Manhattanville replacement. I know for a fact Quill, Tuskegee and Mother Clara Hale can't handle Manhattanville's routes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

Interesting.... I wonder if they are going to build another depot for Manhattanville replacement. I know for a fact Quill, Tuskegee and Mother Clara Hale can't handle Manhattanville's routes

I mean I would think 126 could substitute it, and as far as routes maybe routes like say the 98 could go to Tuskegee cause of the whole 3rd Avenue stretch it goes along 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why doesn't the (MTA) make a special marathon day schedule for Staten Island bus routes since the Express buses have to make long detours and the VNB closed? Have the ferry and SIR run every 15 minutes and all of the ferry buses run 15 minutes or better since the ferry is going to be the only way out without sitting in traffic. Maybe also have S89 service run every 20 minutes to connect with the HBLR?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Why doesn't the (MTA) make a special marathon day schedule for Staten Island bus routes since the Express buses have to make long detours and the VNB closed? Have the ferry and SIR run every 15 minutes and all of the ferry buses run 15 minutes or better since the ferry is going to be the only way out without sitting in traffic. Maybe also have S89 service run every 20 minutes to connect with the HBLR?

I agree with this. Also the Marathon short turns citywide should all have sign codes for them.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.