Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

Does anyone notice that some of the bus maps are changed to a purple with a tint (and font change as well)? I think before, it used to be blue 

Edited by Calvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Does anyone notice that the bus maps are changed to a purple with a tint (and font change as well)? I think before, it used to be blue 

Which bus maps? The route timetables or the sticky squared ones on-board by the front?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Which bus maps? The route timetables or the sticky squared ones on-board by the front?

Sticky Squared ones, but it was seen on a desktop

https://new.mta.info/document/12041 : example

Edited by Calvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lex said:

What in the actual f*** am I looking at, and what does it have to do with general MTA operations?

More passive aggressive cryptic bullshit about some facet of his commute... What else is new.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Mostly local units from random depots (mostly from Hale and Tuskegee).

So...basically an M35?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Current Select Bus Service has wifi and usb ports installed on each of their units. 

- Automated Bus Lane Enforcement on the M15+

Soon, stops will be having a platform to board on/off the bus at each stop 

https://www.facebook.com/NYCDOT/photos/a.397191602886/10156952360357887/?type=3&theater

Edited by Calvin
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Current Select Bus Service has wifi and usb ports installed on each of their units. 

- Automated Bus Lane Enforcement on the M15+

Soon, stops will be having a platform to board on/off the bus at each stop 

https://www.facebook.com/NYCDOT/photos/a.397191602886/10156952360357887/?type=3&theater

I believe the bus lane enforcement expands to Brooklyn- B44+ later this month. Trying to look for press release with regards to this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the mta not run artics at night anymore? I’ve been tracking a bunch of routes for the hell of it and I couldn’t help but notice how every artic route i tracked was 100% 40 footers, even the sbs routes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

Does the mta not run artics at night anymore? I’ve been tracking a bunch of routes for the hell of it and I couldn’t help but notice how every artic route i tracked was 100% 40 footers, even the sbs routes

It’s probably due to a cold weather plan. However, there is one artic on the Q44+.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Does the mta not run artics at night anymore? I’ve been tracking a bunch of routes for the hell of it and I couldn’t help but notice how every artic route i tracked was 100% 40 footers, even the sbs routes

Is it late at night? I’ve noticed some routes do run 40 footers when ridership starts night is very low. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

Is it late at night? I’ve noticed some routes do run 40 footers when ridership starts night is very low. 

I'm not going to assume, but as of around.....

July, I've seen lines have 40 Footers when ridership dips at night, in my eyes, it makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

There's a new driver's side wrap for MoMA. Saw it on an Ulmer Park Prevost.

Brooklyn Division has it. FB-FP-JG only. No GA and East New York. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Brooklyn Division has it. FB-FP-JG only. No GA and East New York. 

Ulmer Park too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

Extra service was added to the S40 last week; will be expanded next week. Bike racks were added to 5 locals (2 previous buses, 3 new), so those buses are supposed to be for the 53/93. (But we already know, how that's gonna go)

And mileage is up there for the older 8s. Highest I've seen was 165K. If that keeps up, these buses will have way more miles in another 4 years, than the 7000s have right now.

Did they release a schedule to reflect the additional service?

 

On another note, it’s concerning that the 8000s are only a few years old and are already racking up so many miles. I wonder if maintenance on the island has improved.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Did they release a schedule to reflect the additional service?

 

On another note, it’s concerning that the 8000s are only a few years old and are already racking up so many miles. I wonder if maintenance on the island has improved.

I'm honestly not surprised by the mileage thing with them 8000s. They literally run all day. 165k / 4yrs = 41250yr / 12mo = 3437 per mo. 3437 per month / 30 days = 114 per day / 24hrs = 4.77 an hour. Let's say a bus is out 16 hours a day...that's about 7 each hour. 

Now...a lot of these miles are deadhead miles. 

Most buses deadhead to the ferry so that's about 4 miles in 15 mins. Keep doing that and you'll get 16 miles in an hour of time total. 

Let's see other ferry routes from their other end terminals. 

The S46 deadhead to the depot is 6 miles in 20 mins. Keep doing that and that's 18 miles in an hours time. 

The S54 is 8 miles in 30 mins. 16 in an hours time. 

Believe it or not but the S53/93 actually have deadheads from Brooklyn. So that's about 7.5 in 25mins which puts about 15 miles in an hours time. 

The S76 is another. 7 miles in 30 mins. 14 in an hours time. 

So when you factor these miles with the average miles for a bus that's out about 16 hrs a day...that's way over 7 miles each hour. 

Also, for some reason Castleton prioritized running only 8000s on the weekends when the 8000s first came out, so the 7000s been catching a break for the most part on weekends. Now it's more common. 

Maintenance has also been doing pretty well too imo. Buses only in the shop for routine maintenance for the most part which is about a day. 

Edit: lets also not forget depots help all routes around the island. There has been times Castleton buses had to deadhead from Bricktown Mall. That's 11 miles in 30mins. About 22 miles in an hours time. 

Charleston is a depot who's mileage I really question...then again that probably explains why they have so many buses not every bus needs to be used at every moment of the day. Weekends, 70% of the fleet is resting, Charleston is only at capacity during school rush hour. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I'm honestly not surprised by the mileage thing with them 8000s. They literally run all day. 165k / 4yrs = 41250yr / 12mo = 3437 per mo. 3437 per month / 30 days = 114 per day / 24hrs = 4.77 an hour. Let's say a bus is out 16 hours a day...that's about 7 each hour. 

Now...a lot of these miles are deadhead miles. 

Most buses deadhead to the ferry so that's about 4 miles in 15 mins. Keep doing that and you'll get 16 miles in an hour of time total. 

Let's see other ferry routes from their other end terminals. 

The S46 deadhead to the depot is 6 miles in 20 mins. Keep doing that and that's 18 miles in an hours time. 

The S54 is 8 miles in 30 mins. 16 in an hours time. 

Believe it or not but the S53/93 actually have deadheads from Brooklyn. So that's about 7.5 in 25mins which puts about 15 miles in an hours time. 

The S76 is another. 7 miles in 30 mins. 14 in an hours time. 

So when you factor these miles with the average miles for a bus that's out about 16 hrs a day...that's way over 7 miles each hour. 

Also, for some reason Castleton prioritized running only 8000s on the weekends when the 8000s first came out, so the 7000s been catching a break for the most part on weekends. Now it's more common. 

Maintenance has also been doing pretty well too imo. Buses only in the shop for routine maintenance for the most part which is about a day. 

 

Charleston is a depot who's mileage I really question...then again that probably explains why they have so many buses not every bus needs to be used at every moment of the day. Weekends, 70% of the fleet is resting, Charleston is only at capacity during school rush hour. 

I’m a bit surprised that Castleton isn’t getting buses from Charleston. However, you gotta look at The Bronx and Queens. Some of their routes don’t carry heavy mileage so if swaps were to occur let it be from there versus Charleston.  

Again, I could be wrong but expect more moves from Gun Hill and Jamaica to Staten Island. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Charleston is a depot who's mileage I really question...then again that probably explains why they have so many buses not every bus needs to be used at every moment of the day. Weekends, 70% of the fleet is resting, Charleston is only at capacity during school rush hour. 

When the majority of their local buses are on the S74/S78, you can safely assume that their buses are up there in mileage as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.