BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

You already got your answer (basically for safety reasons; pedestrian & vehicular), but AFAIC the M12 has no business being a thing..... The idea of a West side route having to utilize 12th av like that, to me is proof that they got way too caught up in the unofficial quote-unquote name of the route.... There's been talks of a west side route, well before plans for the (modern day) Hudson Yards ever became known to the public.... The idea is to have Columbus Circle & 14th/8th subway stations as ridership generators to bring people to that edge of Manhattan, but clearly the M12 isn't actually utilized in that fashion.....

8 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

And it never will be with those horrendous frequencies.

I smell elimination once the Manhattan Bus Network gets re-designed. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Don't get your hopes up. The Bx46 was retained, and the M12 hit a higher total ridership level last year than the former did two years prior (the Bx46 dipped since that peak).

On 11/15/2019 at 8:16 PM, WestFarms36 said:

What point are you trying to make with this? I just see a Bx39 Route Screenshot....

There's only one bus (shown) between that part of Bronx Park East & Clason Point in each direction around that time of day (appx. 5:45 pm).... Assuming no glitches, shenanigans, a bus(es) powered off down in Clason Point or whatever, there is something very wrong with that....

It's one of many reasons why I didn't support the terminal swapping of the Bx39 & the Bx41.... They could have pulled a B46 (lol) with the Bx41 by having the locals running to Wakefield & the SBS truncated to Gun Hill (instead of terminal swapping the Bx39/Bx41), but that's neither here nor there for the specific point I want to make.....

...which is, the Bx39 south of Gun Hill rd is quite noticeably slower than the Bx41 (local) south of Gun Hill rd.... On top of it, folks north of Gun Hill along/around WPR are hardly trying to get areas south of Gun Hill along/around WPR & vice versa.... Some would argue that it's Pelham Pkwy., but IMO Gun Hill rd. is like an unofficial dividing line of sorts ridership-wise for the Bx39.... When the Bx39 ended at Gun Hill, to me, there were more people "gunning" for the Bx28 than they did for the (old) NB Bx41, or the subway for NB access..... [SB Bx41's of old] / [current SB Bx39's] have ridiculous turnover at Gun Hill for the Bx41 or the subway..... There was nothing wrong with the old Bx39/Bx41 setup.

It's an example of why I tend to say that straighter isn't always better.... The current rendition of the Bx39 screws folks south of Gun Hill rd & especially those south of Pelham Pkwy (I suppose you could say that it screws Bx39 riders as a whole; you can look at it that way as well).... The route always had a propensity to bunch (which isn't really saying much, if you consider city-wide bus service, but still), but the problem has been magnified....

I would have liked to have seen a bustime screenshot of the opposite side of the route (as in, north of Pelham Pkwy) around said juncture.....

On 11/15/2019 at 10:45 PM, Around the Horn said:
On 11/15/2019 at 4:59 PM, B35 via Church said:

....the idea is to have Columbus Circle & 14th/8th subway stations as ridership generators to bring people to that edge of Manhattan, but clearly the M12 isn't actually utilized in that fashion.....

And it never will be with those horrendous frequencies.

....which is exactly why it's relegated to an intra-Chelsea shuttle & supplemental service for upper Clinton/Hell's Kitchen residents.

Unfair a comparison here or not, the M12 on the far west side is a poor man's version of the M31 on the far east side.....

A scary thought in & of itself (considering what Manhattan a whole, is), the far west side still isn't all that developed/attractive for a route like the M12 to really flourish....

On 11/15/2019 at 10:54 PM, Future ENY OP said:

These dinky shuttles on coverage headways (under the guise of proactivity)

If it's anything that's going to happen (not necessarily with any impending Manhattan bus network redesign, but it is inclusive), it's the marring of quality of service of other proximate routes to try to make these dinky shuttles more attractive....

In laymens, I wouldn't worry about the M12, I'd worry about the M11 & the M20.

Edited by B35 via Church

Is it me or is Tuskegee Airmen depot just bad at cleaning their buses. Every time I ride the Lexington Ave routes a majority of the buses are dirty inside and out and are banged up and or scratched in some way. Even the 2017 XD60s look more dirty compared to the ones at MQ, CS and even JFK and LGA. 

2 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Is it me or is Tuskegee Airmen depot just bad at cleaning their buses. Every time I ride the Lexington Ave routes a majority of the buses are dirty inside and out and are banged up and or scratched in some way. Even the 2017 XD60s look more dirty compared to the ones at MQ, CS and even JFK and LGA. 

You are not the only one... Interior and exterior.. Primarily with the exterior, some buses are banged up.. TU really looking like Gun Hill and Kingsbridge if you ask me!

PS: TU is about to get more XD60's in the near future..

33 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

That's a combination of banging into shit (cabs, fences etc) and the fact that they are no longer new lol

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

You seriously cannot expect the insides of the buses to look clean 24/7, especially when you consider the long hours those buses are out and the areas/clientele the routes serve. It's not the depot's fault that the passengers always choose to dirty up the insides.

The outsides, again, those buses are in more rough areas than all of the Quill artic routes. LGA's XD60s are even worse than 100th Street's on the outside even with less road time....JFK is even better than those two, especially the local units.

4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The buses get cleaned one time only: overnight

Anytime between AM rush and end of service for that bus is on the passengers. 

As a passenger, to be perfectly honest, I don't really concern myself with the outward appearance of these buses in terms of cleanliness or whatever ad is displayed on them.....

Inside the buses, yeah, I start smirking or feeling some type of way or whatever (as if to say, Oh great....) when I see garbage, or anything else loose & tangible smeared and/or scattered about the bus...... I'm just not seeing a lot of that on these buses anymore.... Not that grime isn't any concern, but my general disposition regarding that, is that it comes with the territory due to aging & what not... Kind of like when you see those black spots on subway train platforms.... While it would be nice, I don't go in expecting the things to be pristine (I wouldn't embark on public transit if that's the case).....

Hell, when I used to take the LIRR coming home & waited for the B12 (when it made its first pickup on the WB side/direction of ENY av, on that little island there), I would see the conga line of buses making their way to one of the lots, with water still dripping from them.... I found that to be pretty impressive, all things considered with this agency.... On the flipside, you have some filthy ass people riding these buses without a care in the world of how clean they are & if that attitude continues to be pervasive, then you're going to get what you get.... People in general do not take pride in public transportation in this city; whether that's evidenced by farebeating, filthiness, exuding a flippant attitude towards MTA personnel, etc.....

10 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

NYCT need their XD60s back asap because

1) the B46 sbs is going artic,

2) ENY has to get theirs for the B82 sbs 

3) Some older artics have to get to the bronx. 

Even with the Queens bus redesign happening there is another capital plan that is going to get funded and will eventually have more artics for whatever bus co needs. 

Edit:

I forgot this was the wrong threat and didn't quote to the right one. 

I don’t mean to say this. However, be patient. Some of things you mention on this post is being worked on. 

As for #1: Utica Avenue & Eastern Parkway is being constructed for additional room for artics. 

As for # 2: ENY still receiving modifications to accommodate artics

As for # 3: Be patient. Let’s stumble back to this subject right after the Thanksgiving Holiday. 

7 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

The buses get cleaned one time only: overnight

Anytime between AM rush and end of service for that bus is on the passengers. 

That’s supposed to be the procedure, but there is no way in hell some depots clean their buses that often. By cleaning, that usually means “sweeping” and perhaps “mopping”, but in terms of the inside being cleaned down for dust or whatever... That’s another matter. My uncle used to tell me that the inside of the buses were rarely cleaned and he was a driver out of 100th Street for years. Some things never change...

10 hours ago, Calvin said:

Surprising to see the leftover 5300s (older with rear window) LFSAs at Flatbush still running even though majority of the XD-60s are on Select Service with the newer Nova LFSAs

Last week: 5343, 5349 were on the local. They only have 7 left and only in due time they will go to either Kingsbridge or West Farms. 

5 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Last week: 5343, 5349 were on the local. They only have 7 left and only in due time they will go to either Kingsbridge or West Farms. 

They only have three left, actually. I'd say two, now since Kingsbridge now has 5343.

Edited by Cait Sith

20 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

BX ops, moderators, or anyone can  jump in on this please. Does Gun Hill have an school (PM) supplement on the Bx1/2? 

4405 and 4419 are on the Bx1 to 165 & Concourse. 

They do, Gun Hill usually runs two PM trips on the Bx1 down to 165th. Here's a clip of two of Gun Hill's LFS' doing a run on the Bx1 from June of this year.