BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, MTA Bus said:

So apparently the Bx39 is going to WF in January and the Bx15 will be fully out of KB. Can any drivers confirm this?

I thought they were gonna wait till the redesign took effect to move the Bx15 and Bx39.

The idea with this would be two fold: less buses needed for the M100 and moving the Bx39 out of KB would make room for the Bx15, while WF would get the Bx39 (obviously) and use up the surplus buses from the M100 and Bx15 for the M125.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/15/2019 at 10:54 PM, Future ENY OP said:

I smell elimination once the Manhattan Bus Network gets re-designed. 

I doubt it. They stubbornly kept the Bx46 without any attempt to boost ridership (by extending it further west to either Yankee Stadium or The Hub).

On 11/16/2019 at 3:58 AM, Lex said:

Don't get your hopes up. The Bx46 was retained, and the M12 hit a higher total ridership level last year than the former did two years prior (the Bx46 dipped since that peak).

Beat me to it.

4 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

I thought they were gonna wait till the redesign took effect to move the Bx15 and Bx39.

The idea with this would be two fold: less buses needed for the M100 and moving the Bx39 out of KB would make room for the Bx15, while WF would get the Bx39 (obviously) and use up the surplus buses from the M100 and Bx15 for the M125.

It would make zero sense for the M125 to be out of West Farms. Manhattanville or Hale would make much more sense (and just transfer the buses over accordingly).

8 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I doubt it. They stubbornly kept the Bx46 without any attempt to boost ridership (by extending it further west to either Yankee Stadium or The Hub).

Beat me to it.

It would make zero sense for the M125 to be out of West Farms. Manhattanville or Hale would make much more sense (and just transfer the buses over accordingly).

I don't think Hale can handle the M125 due to the limit of buses hale can have unless they get rid of one route and give it to another depot. As far as I see it Manhattanville should makes sense since for starters Manhattanville depot is not that far from the first stop of the M125 going to the Bronx so I believe if the mta is smart they would choose that option.

5 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Is the Bx39 hawk runs also going to be placed at West Farms as well?

If this swap happens, there's would be no difference, since those late night trips are interlined with the Bx41.

7 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

If I'm not mistaken, MHV and MCH have capacity constraints (for different reasons). MHV can't take in many more buses, and only a certain amount of buses can be stored at MCH.

12 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

If this swap happens, there's would be no difference, since those late night trips are interlined with the Bx41.

If I'm not mistaken, MHV and MCH have capacity constraints (for different reasons). MHV can't take in many more buses, and only a certain amount of buses can be stored at MCH.

What about 126th St?

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

No such conflict would happen with my scenario. Logically it doesn’t make sense, but operationally it does, at least until the Manhattan redesign takes place and they can move the Manhattan routes around to account for the 125.

2 hours ago, MHV184 said:

I don't think Hale can handle the M125 due to the limit of buses hale can have unless they get rid of one route and give it to another depot. As far as I see it Manhattanville should makes sense since for starters Manhattanville depot is not that far from the first stop of the M125 going to the Bronx so I believe if the mta is smart they would choose that option.

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Beat me to it.

The M125 would be a Bronx division route so it will most likely be based out of a Bronx division depot like How the M100 Is based out of Kingsbridge. I see it being based out of west farms because it’s the only depot closest to the hub (149st). Added to that the M125 would require Articulated buses since it’s predecessor (bx15) used articulated buses as well 

Just want to add a few cents to this M125 thing. Right now it’s a bit too early to tell which depot is going to get the work. Whether it’s Manhattanville or West Farms.  

Yes, MCH would be out of the question. However, if it’s at Manhattanville one route has to leave and be sent to TU perhaps for Manhattanville to have the M125. Although The Hub isn’t far from West Farms it’s a pretty decent deadhead. If I were a bettor in this situation. 

TU = M106 From MHV. 

MHV = M125* closer proximity to terminal. 

But also, we could all wait until the re-design plan goes thru for this. 

4 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Just want to add a few cents to this M125 thing. Right now it’s a bit too early to tell which depot is going to get the work. Whether it’s Manhattanville or West Farms.  

Yes, MCH would be out of the question. However, if it’s at Manhattanville one route has to leave and be sent to TU perhaps for Manhattanville to have the M125. Although The Hub isn’t far from West Farms it’s a pretty decent deadhead. If I were a bettor in this situation. 

TU = M106 From MHV. 

MHV = M125* closer proximity to terminal. 

But also, we could all wait until the re-design plan goes thru for this. 

Aside from that, bus picks may be held up because of these proposed service cuts. We had TWU 100 at our Town Hall meeting last night and they were talking about how they are refusing to pick because the (MTA) wants to have fewer drivers for the same amount of runs. 

27 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Aside from that, bus picks may be held up because of these proposed service cuts. We had TWU 100 at our Town Hall meeting last night and they were talking about how they are refusing to pick because the (MTA) wants to have fewer drivers for the same amount of runs. 

I could definitely see why they are doing that. Now all of sudden the TA wants to be fiscal responsible. SMDH. Fewer drivers = additional delays in bus service. and bad enough it’s citywide. 

Still cant believe (no shocker) that the B46 will be running less service in January. As we get closer to January you would think these cuts are a joke but it is reality. 

PS: Dollar Van crackdown in effect on Utica Avenue and Flatbush Avenue and now with these cuts to take effect. More vans = More police. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

20 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't want assume, but was that for Bus Company TWU? because i can definitely sympathize if they take that route, seeing as the Bronx & Queens redesigns drastically affect express runs at all 5 of their yards, especially the bx depots (if there's ever been a time when the possibility of Yonkers depot closing could even be a reality would be now if things go the way management wants) 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

Just now, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I don't want assume, but was that for Bus Company TWU? because i can definitely sympathize if they take that route, seeing as the Bronx & Queens redesigns drastically affect express runs at all 5 of their yards

It was at least for the express buses... One of the drivers that I know is also a union rep. and he was talking to the Riverdale Press after the Town Hall meeting about what they are doing and plan on doing.  They are speaking with the elected officials as well about this.   Overall, the drivers need to be aware. Can't just sit around and drive a bus and be completely oblivious that your livelihood may be on the line.  People have to start waking up and stopping the madness that is the (MTA) . They are acting like they're a private entity when they serve the public with taxpayer dollars. It's absurd. We are definitely going to start looking at lawsuits on ADA grounds if they don't remove these proposed cuts from the table. This is just the beginning.

11 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Bx46 could of easily be extended to the Stadium & (B)(D)(4)I’m not 100% sold for it to be at The Hub. At least with the stadium it could stand with the Bx13 which has some space vs The Hub 

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It was at least for the express buses... One of the drivers that I know is also a union rep. and he was talking to the Riverdale Press after the Town Hall meeting about what they are doing and plan on doing.  They are speaking with the elected officials as well about this.   Overall, the drivers need to be aware. Can't just sit around and drive a bus and be completely oblivious that your livelihood may be on the line.  People have to start waking up and stopping the madness that is the (MTA) . They are acting like they're a private entity when they serve the public with taxpayer dollars. It's absurd. We are definitely going to start looking at lawsuits on ADA grounds if they don't remove these proposed cuts from the table. This is just the beginning.

AMEN. and within TWU especially, there tends to be this attitude of IDGAF unless it directly affects me/that's their problem over there... hope they figure it out. there definitely needs to be more unity within this union, regardless of what side your on, because what's happening in bus company is only the testing grounds for how they're gonna come after us (TA/OA, RTO, etc) I'm sure as hell paying attention these days, and i personally appreciate seeing passenger advocacy groups grasping the mindset that these proposed cuts adversely affect us equally. 

4 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Bx46 could of easily be extended to the Stadium & (B)(D)(4)I’m not 100% sold for it to be at The Hub. At least with the stadium it could stand with the Bx13 which has some space vs The Hub 

On the topic of that and the M125, why is the Bx19 not being split into two routes? That route is so unreliable!

11 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

It's clear from speaking with two of the senior planners last week at the (MTA) offices that they have positions about each and every bus line. Whatever they wrote for the Bx46 about the routing in their proposals is what they want for the line, mainly based off of the costs associated with it.  If the line is going to run every 30 minutes, then they don't care a thing about extending it further. They are content with the ridership it'll get at 30 minute head ways because they won't have to spend more money to run more service, and that's what it comes down to. Not saying it's right or wrong, but that's how they think.

2 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

AMEN. and within TWU especially, there tends to be this attitude of IDGAF unless it directly affects me/that's their problem over there... hope they figure it out. there definitely needs to be more unity within this union, regardless of what side your on, because what's happening in bus company is only the testing grounds for how they're gonna come after us (TA/OA, RTO, etc) I'm sure as hell paying attention these days, and i personally appreciate seeing passenger advocacy groups grasping the mindset that these proposed cuts adversely affect us equally. 

Absolutely. There are some that believe that the local buses will be left alone. They are sadly mistaken.  They are not taking any money from cuts to express bus service to add more local buses (believe me). They don't care how overcrowded the local buses are. They care about costs and screw the riding public.

Just now, Lawrence St said:

On the topic of that and the M125, why is the Bx19 not being split into two routes? That route is so unreliable!

i beg the question, where exactly would it be split as to not adversely affect riders across southern blvd, letalone 145 street? i agree that they could've possibly done something to better remedy the 19, but the fact that nothing was done means (in my mind) no innovative ideas were proposed. 

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Don’t ask. The same way they could of split the Bx15, they could of did it with the Bx19. I will say one thing to you. The (MTA) is not vested on creating other new routes. 

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Absolutely. There are some that believe that the local buses will be left alone. They are sadly mistaken.  They are not taking any money from cuts to express bus service to add more local buses (believe me). They don't care how overcrowded the local buses are. They care about costs and screw the riding public.

I've been saying that for YEARS, going back to when they first proposed part time bus operators for spring creek depot... at the expense of bus company or their express runs, TA/OA local service won't be improved. if they (management) has their way, we're all gonna get screwed. sad to say (and not to sound self serving/egotistical) but it's nice to see people are finally on board and realizing management doesn't care about or respect their customer base letalone the employees

10 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

i beg the question, where exactly would it be split as to not adversely affect riders across southern blvd, letalone 145 street? i agree that they could've possibly done something to better remedy the 19, but the fact that nothing was done means (in my mind) no innovative ideas were proposed. 

Truthfully, if there was a way to split the Bx19 you would have to run it in 2 sections:  

Section 1: Riverside Drive to Southern-Westchester (2)(5) 

Section 2: Southern-Westchester to Webster Avenue- Botanical Gardens (New route Bx51) 

Edited by Future ENY OP