BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Since we are talking about the bus redesigns, I don’t think Queens local routes are going to see much change, besides eliminating some turns on some routes. The expresses are where the changes will occur for real. On the local/LTD/SBS side of things I can see some duplicate routes being shorten so it’s more or less only serving it’s unique portion, such as the Q34 running above Roosevelt Ave only. Maybe the Q41 being cut back to the Rockaway Blvd station with the Q21 perhaps being a Howard Beach to Rockaway Blvd shuttle. 
What changes do you think will happen with the Queens local/LTD/SBS? 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Don't know which part of his post you're replying to, but in any case, the B23 never duplicated any subway, it wasn't seeing increases (before it got cut), & there was no one point on the B23 where riders emptied out mid-route & a whole new riderbase boarded the thing.....

Didn't the B23 mirror a subway service or am I thinking of something else?

30 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Since we are talking about the bus redesigns, I don’t think Queens local routes are going to see much change, besides eliminating some turns on some routes. The expresses are where the changes will occur for real. On the local/LTD/SBS side of things I can see some duplicate routes being shorten so it’s more or less only serving it’s unique portion, such as the Q34 running above Roosevelt Ave only. Maybe the Q41 being cut back to the Rockaway Blvd station with the Q21 perhaps being a Howard Beach to Rockaway Blvd shuttle. 
What changes do you think will happen with the Queens local/LTD/SBS? 

i can see the q41 being cut to cross bay & Pitkin (the Q11 short sign) just because it'd be significantly easier (and safer) to layover & turn buses there... or they'll have em terminate at liberty Avenue in the back of PC Richards.. the q21 i can easily see being a coverage route for Howard Beach/lindenwood to the (A) train... it's absolutely useless as a Woodhaven local, which is EXACTLY what they wanted to happen going back to the bus company takeover. the only thing left after this would be to chop the 21 completely (if they decide to allow the 41 to still loop thru lindenwood) the 9-11 runs on the 21 could easily be repurposed to the q11 (as pitkin avenue short signs) 

also, the 34 running below 39 avenue & main is really a air carrying, nonsensical mess throughout most of the day. however, school kids do utilize the 34 northbound from Jamaica-LIRR.

13 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

the 23 didn't mirror any subway service. it ran from flatbush Avenue & cortelyou road to boro park (62nd & new Utrecht) via Kensington (16 avenue & cortelyou road) since it's elimination, it hasn't been missed

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

4 hours ago, Axis said:

4 hours ago, Axis said:

Jesus Christ... What happened? Did Boo leave the house too early?

Seriously tho, explain yourself. Do you expect us to literally fix your gripes? If you need to vent out your Frustrations, go on Facebook, make a post and say that the Q113/114, and Q44 Sucks. Someone else might spend the time watching Barney while they wait, but in your case you need help. Believe me when I say that the type of Help I am talking about is not a Bus arriving to your stop, because in your world they'd run away from you.

55 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Jesus Christ... What happened? Did Boo leave the house too early?

Seriously tho, explain yourself. Do you expect us to literally fix your gripes? If you need to vent out your Frustrations, go on Facebook, make a post and say that the Q113/114, and Q44 Sucks. Someone else might spend the time watching Barney while they wait, but in your case you need help. Believe me when I say that the type of Help I am talking about is not a Bus arriving to your stop, because in your world they'd run away from you.

The larger issue is that he's continuing to pose his plight on a forum full of people that he already concluded doesn't care & can't CAN'T care.....

The dude is clearly trolling at this point & the sole posting of these f***ing links and ghosting afterwards is bordering on forum spam.....

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I have no idea of what route you're thinking of, but I'm 100% sure it's not the B23 that mirrored a subway service.

21 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I'll take a swing at this... in one word: laughable. and i'm not saying that to be an a**hole or to seem cooler than the room, but come on! 2 one-directional loop routes thru lower Manhattan that travel across the willy-b to bk? that m41/43/44 mess is some of the most erroneous things I've ever seen. what are these "routes" attempting to accomplish? I'm not saying this as if you can answer my questions, seeing as you didn't take ownership of these, but damn, man. no. just no. 

Honestly, I don't know. This map was made in 2010, so at the time, this dude probably wasn't really paying attention. It takes skill to edit the map though. 

21 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The larger issue is that he's continuing to pose his plight on a forum full of people that he already concluded doesn't care & can't CAN'T care.....

The dude is clearly trolling at this point & the sole posting of these f***ing links and ghosting afterwards is bordering on forum spam.....

Not sure if the Q113 post on subchat is of the same person. If it is, then I don't think it's working out well, lol.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

These road diets have butchered Amsterdam Avenue now. Two lanes previously, cut back to one in either direction + bike lanes and a big-ass yellow zone in the center. SMFH. I was on the M60+SBS+ on Friday, it took us 15 min to get from Amsterdam/121 st to make the turn onto 125. <_<

Edited by Missabassie

On 11/21/2019 at 1:48 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

This reminds me of when the (MTA) wanted to discontinue the Q56 during their financial crisis back in 2009. It would have been such a disaster if it was discontinued. Plus the route becomes more useful when the (J) is either delayed or suspended along Jamaica Ave due to construction. 

On 11/21/2019 at 8:21 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

The thing with the Bx15 is that it makes all those turns running to/from the Third Avenue Bridge (which admittedly could be fixed by working with NYCDOT to put a reverse-direction bus lane along the Willis Avenue Bridge).

I think the main difference between the Bx19 & Bx15 in that regard (aside from the few extra turns on the Bx15) is the fact that on the Bx19, there's no real way to encourage the usage of the subway moreso than the current extent. None of the Bronx subway lines the Bx19 connects with offers service to 145th Street in Manhattan so it's not like the Bx15 where you have riders who will take the subway instead of the M125.

As for these meetings, they give you 2 hours to speak to whichever planners you want (of course you don't have to stay for the full 2 hours)

As I've mentioned in the past (and as a CCNY grad who witnessed it myself) the M100 is one of the few Manhattan routes that has seen ridership increases and it isn't because of its own merits, it is because of all the issues on the M101.

I agree. And the little typos and errors in the report indicate that this really was a rush job (not quite as bad as the SIMs but definitely rushed). And if (generally speaking) The Bronx didn't have too many changes, how will they do Queens which is much bigger and is expected to have many more changes?

The one thing I like is that the existing conditions report released a lot more data than the Staten Island express one did (which was basically nothing). That, and they released draft schedules in advance so there is time for comments and catching errors. So it won't be as bad (not to say it won't be bad, but it won't be on the same level of disaster as the original SIM system)

I don't think ridership patterns on the Bx19 will change too much as a result of the Bx15 split.

On lines like the S74 (which admittedly isn't anywhere as busy as the B6, Bx19, etc) you can often have a crowd of people get off at Richmond Avenue/ETC and an entirely new crowd getting on to replace them. 

Would've been nice if they coordinated that with the NYCDOT reps they brought to those meetings (one of which coincidentally is my old college classmate). I guess I'll give it a shot myself lol

I agree, and I didn't even think of it but yeah if some of the 161st/163rd Street buses will have their trips lengthend it makes sense to have some that will have their trips shortened.

As for SI, see my comments above. The mistakes made out here were on a whole new level that I don't think they will ever be quite that stupid to repeat (or at least I hope not lol)

The "subway-duplicates" they were planning to cut were the Bx4, Q56, B25, B75, and M10. The B75 was split up into the B57 & B61, the M10 was cut from Penn Station to Columbus Circle, the Bx4 had a Bx4A branch created to replace the Bx14, and the B25/Q56 were unchanged.

The parallel to the subway bus discontinuance I remember this segment when it was first read in the Doomsday proposal cuts WAY back in late 2008. But there was more to the cuts that was prevented and saved: 

Manhattan: Cut all routes to operate part-time, With the exception of 4 routes: M7, M14, M15 & M86. 
Cut M6, 10, 18, 27, & 30 completely

Cut M22, M21, M8, M50’s weekend service 

Just now, Future ENY OP said:

All they do on the UWS is COMPLAIN..

Eh, I'm with them on this. These announcements are both completely useless and pretty annoying. If I lived above a route with buses using them (I'm near 40-footers, not 60-footers) I'd be pretty sick of it after a while. If you think about it, most of the neighborhoods where these announcements play are commercial corridors. UWS is different that way. 

Just now, MHV9218 said:

Eh, I'm with them on this. These announcements are both completely useless and pretty annoying. If I lived above a route with buses using them (I'm near 40-footers, not 60-footers) I'd be pretty sick of it after a while. If you think about it, most of the neighborhoods where these announcements play are commercial corridors. UWS is different that way. 

From a safety aspect.. I would keep them on. I mean the UWS does have some form of late night activity and people walking their dogs, late night running and etc.

However, from a residential perspective it can be annoying and they should be turned off or lowered during late night hours.

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

From a safety aspect.. I would keep them on. I mean the UWS does have some form of late night activity and people walking their dogs, late night running and etc.

However, from a residential perspective it can be annoying and they should be turned off or lowered during late night hours.

I'm curious to see if there is any evidence that the verbal warning is associated with safer outcomes. Whenever I hear it, it is hard to localize where it is coming from, especially if there are multiple buses on the street (though I guess I could argue it leads me to look at which bus has a turning signal blinking). I also find it annoying that it goes on when a bus is just changing lanes rather than actually making a full turn. 

42 minutes ago, Calvin said:

They’re losing sleep over an announcement they couldn’t even hear in their homes? Get a life. 

8 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I'm curious to see if there is any evidence that the verbal warning is associated with safer outcomes. Whenever I hear it, it is hard to localize where it is coming from, especially if there are multiple buses on the street (though I guess I could argue it leads me to look at which bus has a turning signal blinking). I also find it annoying that it goes on when a bus is just changing lanes rather than actually making a full turn. 

Same here.. According to the article those patrons on the UWS have been complaining since August and we are now hearing about this..  Seems a bit suspect to me.  But also it brings me back to my first point with regards to the automated system. What i also find strange is that only 79th street is complaining about this and not 86th street and plus these buses rarely run late night.

Safety perspective: It needs to be turned on. However, turn off when necessary.

Residential perspective: Although annoying  there has to be a medium to when the announcements should be turned on or off.

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Same here.. According to the article those patrons on the UWS have been complaining since August and we are now hearing about this..  Seems a bit suspect to me.  But also it brings me back to my first point with regards to the automated system. What i also find strange is that only 79th street is complaining about this and not 86th street and plus these buses rarely run late night.

Safety perspective: It needs to be turned on. However, turn off when necessary.

Residential perspective: Although annoying  there has to be a medium to when the announcements should be turned on or off.

I don't quite get the justification of making an arbitrary distinction like that - Safety is safety, regardless if a bus travels through a residential area or not.....

What I'm ultimately getting at is, if you're going to argue from a safety perspective, when would there ever be a time you'd turn the announcement off?

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

This sums up my position on the matter; to me, they're a public nuisance.... Thank f*** they took them off the B12 when they did..... Idiots are going to do what they're going to do; no matter how many signs that are put up on the bus notifying people not to cross in front of the bus as they disembark, what do they do? Disembark the bus & cross right in front of it.....

I mean honestly, having to hear *cautionbusisturneenng.... cautionbusisturneenng..... cautionbusisturneenng* repeatedly, everytime the damn bus pulls out of a stop (never mind actually making a turn off of one street onto another), is not making things any safer to the point where they are necessary....

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

My primary use for the announcements amounted to nothing more than coming to the realization that I just missed that bus !

Edited by B35 via Church

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

This sums up my position on the matter; to me, they're a public nuisance.... Thank f*** they took them off the B12 when they did..... Idiots are going to do what they're going to do; no matter how many signs that are put up on the bus notifying people not to cross in front of the bus as they disembark, what do they do? Disembark the bus & cross right in front of it.....

The new 77/78xx came in with the speaker for the announcements so not exactly lol

Just now, B35 via Church said:

Regardless of the method of which the announcements are being made, what is being made safer exactly.....

The announcement is supposed to play while the bus makes a turn and sending out a alert to whatever pedestrian. The system was supposed to adjust in volume to the of the environment but it would seem the system is manually set.