BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

4746, 4751, 6119, 6123....6128 & 6130(WTF) @ Casey Stengel.
6257 at JFK.

Wtf is going on? Are they there for maintenance or something? 

NVM 6128 and 6130 are both working the 44 right now... Maybe the MTA wants to do a switcheroo cuz the 2016-17 XD60’s aren’t exactly SBS worthy, no info screens LOL

57 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Wtf is going on? Are they there for maintenance or something? 

NVM 6128 and 6130 are both working the 44 right now... Maybe the MTA wants to do a switcheroo cuz the 2016-17 XD60’s aren’t exactly SBS worthy, no info screens LOL

Also.. 6119 and 6123 made the trip to Stengel. I'm thinking these 4 swaps are for mileage purposes. Haven't heard anything with regards to the screens. What version are those current screens on the XD60's- 2016/17's?

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Also.. 6119 and 6123 made the trip to Stengel. I'm thinking these 4 swaps are for mileage purposes. Haven't heard anything with regards to the screens. What version are those current screens on the XD60's- 2016/17's?

Most definitely not for mileage. For artics, you'd see a much more organized swap if they were for mileage.

For a while now I've been planning the ride my favorite LF Bus (The C40LF) out of every depot that has them in one day.

Plan is B103 - B11, Subway to the BX (lunch in Manhattan) wait for the BX21 or 32, (4) or (5) to the (R) to Queens Plaza for the Q66. Last time I did a trip like it was my "farewell to the RTS" fan trip" which failed on the final leg cause I couldn't find an MJQ RTS + I was tired as hell.

6 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

For a while now I've been planning the ride my favorite LF Bus (The C40LF) out of every depot that has them in one day.

Plan is B103 - B11, Subway to the BX (lunch in Manhattan) wait for the BX21 or 32, (4) or (5) to the (R) to Queens Plaza for the Q66. Last time I did a trip like it was my "farewell to the RTS" fan trip" which failed on the final leg cause I couldn't find an MJQ RTS + I was tired as hell.

I did this too in 2013, on a Friday during the summer. Started in Staten Island. Took the S79 to 92st Brooklyn. Then rode the B8 (C40LF 417) to 65th St /18th Ave. Then took the (N)  to Atlantic - Barclays. Took the B103 (C40LF 588) to the Junction. Then took the (5) to Prospect Ave in The Bronx. Got on the B17 (C40LF 285). Driver was HAULING, but it was crowded. Took that to Fordham for the Bx12 (LFSA 5312). That route is so ghetto, over crowded and too busy for a bus to handle, NEVER again unless I need it. Took that to Pelham Bay Park (6) station. Then I realized the Q50 is SRO at Pelham Bay, so I took the Bx23 to Bay Plaza and got on the Q50 (C40LF 194) at the first stop. Took that to Flushing Main St (7) and took the Q65 (C40LF 612). This is a BEAUTIFUL route. Took that to Jamaica center. By then it was 7:30pm and I was tired af so I took the LIRR to Penn Station (25mins) and the X1 back home (about 75 mins).  

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

That video just reminded me how beautiful the blue and gold livery is. It's a shame it will always be connected to Cuomo's ego because they hit it out of the park design-wise.

That shot at 1:44 with those two LFS's gleaming in the garage is beautiful. It's like you're a kid on Christmas day again.

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

That video just reminded me how beautiful the blue and gold livery is. It's a shame it will always be connected to Cuomo's ego because they hit it out of the park design-wise.

That shot at 1:44 with those two LFS's gleaming in the garage is beautiful. It's like you're a kid on Christmas day again.

Yess that shot of 8703 and 8695 in the garage is so refreshing and pure. The design is BEAUTIFUL! The best thing the MTA has done in a while, really wish the XD40 batch 7090-7483 and LFS batch 8090-8503 could've received the colors during their 4 yr repaints but hey since USB ports aren't gonna be installed on those buses (which is needed more than the damnn WiFi), looks like they'll stay blue and white. 

Edit: These buses have Wi-Fi in a city with service everywhere....whereas the LIRR (which REALLY NEEDS THE WIFI, doesn't have shit). Backwards ass agency fr.  

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

38 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Yess that shot of 8703 and 8695 in the garage is so refreshing and pure. The design is BEAUTIFUL! The best thing the MTA has done in a while, really wish the XD40 batch 7090-7483 and LFS batch 8090-8503 could've received the colors during their 4 yr repaints but hey since USB ports aren't gonna be installed on those buses (which is needed more than the damnn WiFi), looks like they'll stay blue and white. 

Edit: These buses have Wi-Fi in a city with service everywhere....whereas the LIRR (which REALLY NEEDS THE WIFI, doesn't have shit). Backwards ass agency fr.  

The buses may not have Wi-Fi for long either...it's been planned that they're gonna end the services sometime soon.

And putting Wi-Fi on the LIRR is both redundant and unnecessary when you consider it's basically the same network as your mobile plan at least 80% of the time, so if you run into any dead spots on your phone, the Wi-Fi will too.

Plus, can you imagine ALL of those passengers using the Wi-Fi at once!? Good luck trying to connect😂.

52 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

The buses may not have Wi-Fi for long either...it's been planned that they're gonna end the services sometime soon.

And putting Wi-Fi on the LIRR is both redundant and unnecessary when you consider it's basically the same network as your mobile plan at least 80% of the time, so if you run into any dead spots on your phone, the Wi-Fi will too.

Plus, can you imagine ALL of those passengers using the Wi-Fi at once!? Good luck trying to connect😂.

Bus WiFi ending soon?? Lol so basically they should just go ahead and repaint the 2014 and younger buses into the new scheme. 

Listen, I have Sprint...ANYTHING is better than Sprint at this point🤣, especially in Long Island omg its horrible. There has to be a way to get a strong wireless WiFi connection for 1000 people to be able to use...or maybe have a WiFi box for each 2 car set that must require the car number as the password? That way you can have 5-6 WiFi boxes on a trainset and people can check what car they are in for the password? There's thousands of buses with Wi-Fi I'm sure they can take those and add 500 boxes for every two LIRR cars. 

Did the C40 trip today, an XN40 showing up on the B11 almost ruined my plans as it was cold as hell and wasn't gonna stand around waiting for a C40 to show, so I took it to CI Ave in hopes I get an C40 on the B68. I'm glad I did that as I had nice ride on the XN40 on the B11. Those buses are pretty fast, LBSS or whatever didn't ruin the XN40. I was lucky to get an C40 on the B68 so I rode that, caught the subway to the BX. An XN40 was already there on the BX21 but I passed it up for obvious reasons. I saw an C40 on layover in the distance hoping it would be an BX32, IDK if it was but shorty after the XN40 21 left, the BX32 came which was an.... XN40. I said screw it and I would just take 32 to the BX11 hoping to get an C40 on that route.

Got off for the BX11 transfer and saw an C40 was on the route GWB bound, but an XN40 came first + it was SRO so I passed it up. Eventually the C40 showed up on the BX11, decent ride but these two guys got on the bus with an 50 inch TV, second person I saw get on the bus today with an brand new TV, first was on the B103 earlier in the day lol. I rode the BX11 to the (A) train, took that to Penn Station, took the LIRR to Jamaica to catch the Q25/34 since those two routes run like water and I wouldn't have to wait long, eventually got on the Q34 and rode for a bit... trip was successful.

The MTA Bus C40s are much nicer in terms of cleanliness and such than the NYCT units, I like the C40s from all four depots that have them, just the SC and CP units are cleaner and lack ads on the side which is cool as I like my buses ad less. Glad I did this trip, I did just about everything I wanted to fan when I comes to NYC Buses, next trip is to ride an NYCT and MTA Bus express bus back to back. Most likely will be SIM1C to an BX express bus. Or the Bay Ridge express bus to an BXM express bus. Also ride a bus in from every BK div depot in one day, I came close to doing that over the summer but I got never to ride an GA bus since I was tired and the FP bus (Last leg of the trip) bus was the Q54 got stuck in traffic.

19 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Those buses are pretty fast, LBSS or whatever didn't ruin the XN40.

Those buses have ZF transmissions (TopoDyn).

The problems with LBSS could probably be addressed with DynActive Shifting (the Allison equivalent of TopoDyn used by ZF EcoLife).