Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Just now, Future ENY OP said:

All they do on the UWS is COMPLAIN..

Eh, I'm with them on this. These announcements are both completely useless and pretty annoying. If I lived above a route with buses using them (I'm near 40-footers, not 60-footers) I'd be pretty sick of it after a while. If you think about it, most of the neighborhoods where these announcements play are commercial corridors. UWS is different that way. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, MHV9218 said:

Eh, I'm with them on this. These announcements are both completely useless and pretty annoying. If I lived above a route with buses using them (I'm near 40-footers, not 60-footers) I'd be pretty sick of it after a while. If you think about it, most of the neighborhoods where these announcements play are commercial corridors. UWS is different that way. 

From a safety aspect.. I would keep them on. I mean the UWS does have some form of late night activity and people walking their dogs, late night running and etc.

However, from a residential perspective it can be annoying and they should be turned off or lowered during late night hours.

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

From a safety aspect.. I would keep them on. I mean the UWS does have some form of late night activity and people walking their dogs, late night running and etc.

However, from a residential perspective it can be annoying and they should be turned off or lowered during late night hours.

I'm curious to see if there is any evidence that the verbal warning is associated with safer outcomes. Whenever I hear it, it is hard to localize where it is coming from, especially if there are multiple buses on the street (though I guess I could argue it leads me to look at which bus has a turning signal blinking). I also find it annoying that it goes on when a bus is just changing lanes rather than actually making a full turn. 

42 minutes ago, Calvin said:

They’re losing sleep over an announcement they couldn’t even hear in their homes? Get a life. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I'm curious to see if there is any evidence that the verbal warning is associated with safer outcomes. Whenever I hear it, it is hard to localize where it is coming from, especially if there are multiple buses on the street (though I guess I could argue it leads me to look at which bus has a turning signal blinking). I also find it annoying that it goes on when a bus is just changing lanes rather than actually making a full turn. 

Same here.. According to the article those patrons on the UWS have been complaining since August and we are now hearing about this..  Seems a bit suspect to me.  But also it brings me back to my first point with regards to the automated system. What i also find strange is that only 79th street is complaining about this and not 86th street and plus these buses rarely run late night.

Safety perspective: It needs to be turned on. However, turn off when necessary.

Residential perspective: Although annoying  there has to be a medium to when the announcements should be turned on or off.

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Same here.. According to the article those patrons on the UWS have been complaining since August and we are now hearing about this..  Seems a bit suspect to me.  But also it brings me back to my first point with regards to the automated system. What i also find strange is that only 79th street is complaining about this and not 86th street and plus these buses rarely run late night.

Safety perspective: It needs to be turned on. However, turn off when necessary.

Residential perspective: Although annoying  there has to be a medium to when the announcements should be turned on or off.

I don't quite get the justification of making an arbitrary distinction like that - Safety is safety, regardless if a bus travels through a residential area or not.....

What I'm ultimately getting at is, if you're going to argue from a safety perspective, when would there ever be a time you'd turn the announcement off?

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

This sums up my position on the matter; to me, they're a public nuisance.... Thank f*** they took them off the B12 when they did..... Idiots are going to do what they're going to do; no matter how many signs that are put up on the bus notifying people not to cross in front of the bus as they disembark, what do they do? Disembark the bus & cross right in front of it.....

I mean honestly, having to hear *cautionbusisturneenng.... cautionbusisturneenng..... cautionbusisturneenng* repeatedly, everytime the damn bus pulls out of a stop (never mind actually making a turn off of one street onto another), is not making things any safer to the point where they are necessary....

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

My primary use for the announcements amounted to nothing more than coming to the realization that I just missed that bus !

Edited by B35 via Church
  • LMAO! 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

This sums up my position on the matter; to me, they're a public nuisance.... Thank f*** they took them off the B12 when they did..... Idiots are going to do what they're going to do; no matter how many signs that are put up on the bus notifying people not to cross in front of the bus as they disembark, what do they do? Disembark the bus & cross right in front of it.....

The new 77/78xx came in with the speaker for the announcements so not exactly lol

26 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

The new 77/78xx came in with the speaker for the announcements so not exactly lol

Regardless of the method of which the announcements are being made, what is being made safer exactly.....

Edited by B35 via Church

Just now, B35 via Church said:

Regardless of the method of which the announcements are being made, what is being made safer exactly.....

The announcement is supposed to play while the bus makes a turn and sending out a alert to whatever pedestrian. The system was supposed to adjust in volume to the of the environment but it would seem the system is manually set. 

27 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

471 has a drivers side wrap for MoMA that I haven't seen before.

So does 469. Same purple MoMa wrap. Gleason’s been wrapping a decent amount of their buses along with Flatbush —> (of course)

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

4746, 4751, 6119, 6123....6128 & 6130(WTF) @ Casey Stengel.
6257 at JFK.

Wtf is going on? Are they there for maintenance or something? 

NVM 6128 and 6130 are both working the 44 right now... Maybe the MTA wants to do a switcheroo cuz the 2016-17 XD60’s aren’t exactly SBS worthy, no info screens LOL

• LMAO! 4

57 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Wtf is going on? Are they there for maintenance or something? 

NVM 6128 and 6130 are both working the 44 right now... Maybe the MTA wants to do a switcheroo cuz the 2016-17 XD60’s aren’t exactly SBS worthy, no info screens LOL

Also.. 6119 and 6123 made the trip to Stengel. I'm thinking these 4 swaps are for mileage purposes. Haven't heard anything with regards to the screens. What version are those current screens on the XD60's- 2016/17's?

21 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Also.. 6119 and 6123 made the trip to Stengel. I'm thinking these 4 swaps are for mileage purposes. Haven't heard anything with regards to the screens. What version are those current screens on the XD60's- 2016/17's?

They don't have screens. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Most definitely not for mileage. For artics, you'd see a much more organized swap if they were for mileage.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cait Sith said:

Most definitely not for mileage. For artics, you'd see a much more organized swap if they were for mileage.

Gotchu..  Those 4 weren't organized at all.  Is Stengel expecting increase of service starting for next pick? (To your knowledge).

For a while now I've been planning the ride my favorite LF Bus (The C40LF) out of every depot that has them in one day.

Plan is B103 - B11, Subway to the BX (lunch in Manhattan) wait for the BX21 or 32, (4) or (5) to the (R) to Queens Plaza for the Q66. Last time I did a trip like it was my "farewell to the RTS" fan trip" which failed on the final leg cause I couldn't find an MJQ RTS + I was tired as hell.

6 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

For a while now I've been planning the ride my favorite LF Bus (The C40LF) out of every depot that has them in one day.

Plan is B103 - B11, Subway to the BX (lunch in Manhattan) wait for the BX21 or 32, (4) or (5) to the (R) to Queens Plaza for the Q66. Last time I did a trip like it was my "farewell to the RTS" fan trip" which failed on the final leg cause I couldn't find an MJQ RTS + I was tired as hell.

I did this too in 2013, on a Friday during the summer. Started in Staten Island. Took the S79 to 92st Brooklyn. Then rode the B8 (C40LF 417) to 65th St /18th Ave. Then took the (N)  to Atlantic - Barclays. Took the B103 (C40LF 588) to the Junction. Then took the (5) to Prospect Ave in The Bronx. Got on the B17 (C40LF 285). Driver was HAULING, but it was crowded. Took that to Fordham for the Bx12 (LFSA 5312). That route is so ghetto, over crowded and too busy for a bus to handle, NEVER again unless I need it. Took that to Pelham Bay Park (6) station. Then I realized the Q50 is SRO at Pelham Bay, so I took the Bx23 to Bay Plaza and got on the Q50 (C40LF 194) at the first stop. Took that to Flushing Main St (7) and took the Q65 (C40LF 612). This is a BEAUTIFUL route. Took that to Jamaica center. By then it was 7:30pm and I was tired af so I took the LIRR to Penn Station (25mins) and the X1 back home (about 75 mins).  

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888
  • Thumbs Up 1

That video just reminded me how beautiful the blue and gold livery is. It's a shame it will always be connected to Cuomo's ego because they hit it out of the park design-wise.

That shot at 1:44 with those two LFS's gleaming in the garage is beautiful. It's like you're a kid on Christmas day again.

• Like 1