BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Calvin said:

I heard that this year, there will be no vintage buses along 42nd Street due to heavy holiday traffic. Could be another reason. 

Add that with the closures around Rock Center and I would say temperature wise (I could be wrong). I could definitely see why they don’t want to run the vintages. Hopefully, we could get some clarification. 

That sucks. Granted the vintage bus runs aren't as organized as the subway runs are (they seem to run the buses at random, no timetables, etc). But it was better than nothing.

They ran the buses in the cold, in holiday traffic in years past so I don't see why that would be an issue this year.

I've heard the vintage bus fleet doesn't get as much love as the subway fleet does. Nearly all of the vintage subway fleet is operational where's for the vintage bus they seem to only use the same buses for every event (the local fishbowls, the PBL TMCs). I heard Mack 6257 can't run cause it needs work, the Orion 6 needs parts, etc. I wonder if they use the same museum buses for events cause the ones we haven't seen in a while need work or parts.

28 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

That sucks. Granted the vintage bus runs aren't as organized as the subway runs are (they seem to run the buses at random, no timetables, etc). But it was better than nothing.

They ran the buses in the cold, in holiday traffic in years past so I don't see why that would be an issue this year.

I've heard the vintage bus fleet doesn't get as much love as the subway fleet does. Nearly all of the vintage subway fleet is operational where's for the vintage bus they seem to only use the same buses for every event (the local fishbowls, the PBL TMCs). I heard Mack 6257 can't run cause it needs work, the Orion 6 needs parts, etc. I wonder if they use the same museum buses for events cause the ones we haven't seen in a while need work or parts.

I heard 117 was a musuem bus now, is that true?

19 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

ATTENTION: Please be advised, there is an Eagle Team posted at 155th Street/Amsterdam Avenue enforcing payment of fare along the Bx6-SBS route. Just looking out for my fellow transit buffs to ensure that they stay out of trouble. Have a great day guys.

Um ok? Aren’t they supposed to be at random stops everyday?

47 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

ATTENTION: Please be advised, there is an Eagle Team posted at 155th Street/Amsterdam Avenue enforcing payment of fare along the Bx6-SBS route. Just looking out for my fellow transit buffs to ensure that they stay out of trouble. Have a great day guys.

If they pay the fare, then there's no trouble to be had. <_<

Something I noticed, but I don’t think I mentioned here: 

The S53, S57, S59, and S66 all begin their routes in Port Richmond by traveling right on Park Ave, right on Church St, then left on Port Richmond Av, however the S57 is the only one of the four routes that shows this on it’s timetable pdf file. 

Has anyone else spotted errors like this?

56 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If they pay the fare, then there's no trouble to be had. <_<

They don't want to pay the fare. I remember talking the n4 home from work at 2 in the morning. A Queens resident boarded the bus at Merrick and Farmers, then tried to get off on Laurelton. The Female B/O was having none of it and kept driving till the 7-11 at Hook/Creek and Merrick. He argued the whole way there and the B/O told him that the cameras were watching. Even after getting a free ride, he tried to ask for a transfer after not paying the fare.

1 minute ago, NY1635 said:

They don't want to pay the fare. I remember talking the n4 home from work at 2 in the morning. A Queens resident boarded the bus at Merrick and Farmers, then tried to get off on Laurelton. The Female B/O was having none of it and kept driving till the 7-11 at Hook/Creek and Merrick. He argued the whole way there and the B/O told him that the cameras were watching. Even after getting a free ride, he tried to ask for a transfer after not paying the fare.

Everyone is entitled now... It's ridiculous and it needs to be addressed. The few of us that pay now have to pay for all of the deadbeats that CAN pay but don't want to.

1 minute ago, NY1635 said:

Honestly, some bus drivers are just too nice and patient. And if they try standing up for themselves or tell customers the rules, then the passengers get all angry and report them for being nasty when they’re actually just doing their job....

6 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Thats the whole point of them dawg

5 hours ago, Snorunts said:

Honestly, some bus drivers are just too nice and patient. And if they try standing up for themselves or tell customers the rules, then the passengers get all angry and report them for being nasty when they’re actually just doing their job....

NICE put cameras on their buses right after farebeaters kept assaulting drivers on the n6 and n22. The usual suspects were Terrace Ave at Hempstead and South Franklin St, Elmont teens, and Queens Residents.  NICE B/Os are pretty level headed, the only ones who get under their skin are the West Indian people that use the n6 to travel between Long Island and Queens for church or relatives.

12 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I remember when there's 30 of each (8000 series LFS, 4800 XD-40 and 7000 4th Gens) at Ulmer Park, Queens Village and Castleton. Was this to test out which bus model would be best at those 3 depots?

Probably to put the models under different operating environments (Castleton with the hills in some parts, Brooklyn and Queens with heavy loads, Queens and Staten Island deadheading and etc). Someone with more knowledge may be able to shine light on this better though. 

10 hours ago, NY1635 said:

Just by reading that.. I don't miss taking the N24 from Roosevelt Field to Queens VIllage on the late night..

Homeboy forgot bus is closed door into Valley Stream. SMDH.