BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Neither do I.....especially since there are times where the GPS systems tend to stop working on some buses.

6 hours ago, Snorunts said:

I think when that happens, some people (including myself) call them “ghost buses.” I honestly get annoyed when that happens but it is what it is.

Not even, this is the first stop on the route. BusTime does not track deadheading or otherwise "not in service" buses, until they are on route in service.

Non-issue. 

29 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

Not even, this is the first stop on the route. BusTime does not track deadheading or otherwise "not in service" buses, until they are on route in service.

Non-issue. 

The BusTime site probably doesnt, but the Transit App sure does.

On 12/4/2019 at 6:47 PM, Snorunts said:

I think when that happens, some people (including myself) call them “ghost buses.” I honestly get annoyed when that happens but it is what it is.

I'd had buses that didn't show up on the radar. I only found out when the boarding passenger tells me they didn't see me on the app!

On 12/3/2019 at 12:15 PM, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

ATTENTION: Please be advised, there is an Eagle Team posted at 155th Street/Amsterdam Avenue enforcing payment of fare along the Bx6-SBS route. Just looking out for my fellow transit buffs to ensure that they stay out of trouble. Have a great day guys.

On 12/3/2019 at 12:40 PM, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

No, not everyday. They come and go. They utilize the act of surprise to bust fare beaters. While they might be stationed at particular bus stops, their presence is random.

It's one thing to simply/nonchalantly point out that Eagle Team is at particular stop on a particular route, but this whole little PSA of yours reads as if you're a farebeater warning us fellow farebeaters of their presence.....

On 12/3/2019 at 1:52 PM, S78 via Hylan said:

Something I noticed, but I don’t think I mentioned here: 

The S53, S57, S59, and S66 all begin their routes in Port Richmond by traveling right on Park Ave, right on Church St, then left on Port Richmond Av, however the S57 is the only one of the four routes that shows this on it’s timetable pdf file.

Has anyone else spotted errors like this?

I'm not sure if this is what you're ultimately alluding to, but I'll bring it up anyway.....

This isn't just regarding the MTA, but as far as fixed route local buses are concerned, my position when it comes to any renderings of a route map portrayed on their schedules, is that [the turnaround scenarios should be displayed] & that [the last pickup and first dropoff stops be illustrated/denoted on each end of the route].... Most maps show where the terminal is on each end of the route (usually indicated by a little square) in general... However, for routes with different/drastic last dropoff & first pickup stops on a particular end of the route, you have no idea if the little square in question is a first pickup spot or a last dropoff spot....

I created a spreadsheet of turnaround scenarios & last pickup/dropoff stops for most MTA routes in this city (plus some NICE, SCT, NJT, Bee-Line, and CTTransit (New Haven) ones) for personal use for that very reason.... The fun part for me is that 1] It's not based on anything depicted from any outside source, but first-hand experience/"legwork" instead, and 2] Trying to keep it updated...

On 12/3/2019 at 2:05 PM, Snorunts said:

Honestly, some bus drivers are just too nice and patient. And if they try standing up for themselves or tell customers the rules, then the passengers get all angry and report them for being nasty when they’re actually just doing their job....

IDK, I see it as more of that of indifference.... Outside of chit-chatting w/ fellow MTA workers that are tagging along w/ them, a lot of b/o's nowadays are (or at least seem) cold & standoff-ish (which is perfectly fine by me, as 1] I'm trying to go home at the end of the work day physically unscathed, just like they do & 2] w/o much of any unnecessary interruptions on top of it).... AFAIC, I don't blame 'em one bit..... Too many nuts out here.

19 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm not sure if this is what you're ultimately alluding to, but I'll bring it up anyway.....

This isn't just regarding the MTA, but as far as fixed route local buses are concerned, my position when it comes to any renderings of a route map portrayed on their schedules, is that [the turnaround scenarios should be displayed] & that [the last pickup and first dropoff stops be illustrated/denoted on each end of the route].... Most maps show where the terminal is on each end of the route (usually indicated by a little square) in general... However, for routes with different/drastic last dropoff & first pickup stops on a particular end of the route, you have no idea if the little square in question is a first pickup spot or a last dropoff spot....

I created a spreadsheet of turnaround scenarios & last pickup/dropoff stops for most MTA routes in this city (plus some NICE, SCT, NJT, Bee-Line, and CTTransit (New Haven) ones) for personal use for that very reason.... The fun part for me is that 1] It's not based on anything depicted from any outside source, but first-hand experience/"legwork" instead, and 2] Trying to keep it updated...

Yes, this is what I was going for. I’m also of the belief that routes should show last stops and first pickup stops. 

On another note: I’d like to see your spreadsheet if possible.

Hello, I need someone to help me and hopefully Seveneleven or someone with experience can help mr out.

I just passed the 7-10 training and I was thinking about joining a depot on S.I. my concern and for that one has to drive express lines and I have no experience driving those bigger buses only the regular local ones.

Do we get any additional training to drive those buses?

Is a big difference between local and express buses? Im really stressed about it.

2 hours ago, Realita19 said:

Hello, I need someone to help me and hopefully Seveneleven or someone with experience can help mr out.

I just passed the 7-10 training and I was thinking about joining a depot on S.I. my concern and for that one has to drive express lines and I have no experience driving those bigger buses only the regular local ones.

Do we get any additional training to drive those buses?

Is a big difference between local and express buses? Im really stressed about it.

I am answering your questions here in the B/O 7612 Hiring Process topic in the Transit Employment section, where it is more appropriate.

The BUS - Random Thoughts Thread is mainly to discuss bus service/random observations/detours or anything about NYCT/MTA Bus.

18 hours ago, 161 New York said:

I am answering your questions here in the B/O 7612 Hiring Process topic in the Transit Employment section, where it is more appropriate.

The BUS - Random Thoughts Thread is mainly to discuss bus service/random observations/detours or anything about NYCT/MTA Bus.

Considering that the poster is new, I'll give it a pass.

42 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I wonder if West Farms would still need the XD-40s since they are only in numbers of 5-6. Instead, the C40LFs from Gleason could cover the total they have there. 

So far West Farms sent Gleason 262-264.

It all depends what West Farms wants to do with the XD40’s. If they leave, Fresh Pond, GA or Jamaica could use the XD40’s 

2 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

It all depends what West Farms wants to do with the XD40’s. If they leave, Fresh Pond, GA or Jamaica could use the XD40’s 

I’d say East New York. They don’t have a lot running on local routes and they have the two oldest bus models.

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

I’d say East New York. They don’t have a lot running on local routes and they have the two oldest bus models.

Unless DOB decides to cut From Manhattanville and Flatbush NG’s East NY OG’s won’t leave until 4/2020* (don’t quote me) at the earliest and I say the same with Fresh Pond. 

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Just putting on my thinking cap here, Ulmer Park still has loaners from Fresh Pond and ENY to deal with the whole RTS situation and if they got the West Farms units (some of which were from UP and are now at Jamaica) then UP could send them back.

9 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Just putting on my thinking cap here, Ulmer Park still has loaners from Fresh Pond and ENY to deal with the whole RTS situation and if they got the West Farms units (some of which were from UP and are now at Jamaica) then UP could send them back.

I didn’t know those were loans. Does that mean 7346-7363 is expected to return to Flatbush too (eventually)?

16 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

I didn’t know those were loans. Does that mean 7346-7363 is expected to return to Flatbush too (eventually)?

IDK if they'll return to exactly where they came from but they'll probably be on there way out when the XDE40s arrive. UP had 68 RTS and only got 42 of the new XD40s this go around.

6 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

You may be right ATH. 
The next 3 weeks to a month will pose a lot of things. Lets just see what DOB decides to do with the West Farms batch.