Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, NY1635 said:

They don't want to pay the fare. I remember talking the n4 home from work at 2 in the morning. A Queens resident boarded the bus at Merrick and Farmers, then tried to get off on Laurelton. The Female B/O was having none of it and kept driving till the 7-11 at Hook/Creek and Merrick. He argued the whole way there and the B/O told him that the cameras were watching. Even after getting a free ride, he tried to ask for a transfer after not paying the fare.

Everyone is entitled now... It's ridiculous and it needs to be addressed. The few of us that pay now have to pay for all of the deadbeats that CAN pay but don't want to.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NY1635 said:

They don't want to pay the fare. I remember talking the n4 home from work at 2 in the morning. A Queens resident boarded the bus at Merrick and Farmers, then tried to get off on Laurelton. The Female B/O was having none of it and kept driving till the 7-11 at Hook/Creek and Merrick. He argued the whole way there and the B/O told him that the cameras were watching. Even after getting a free ride, he tried to ask for a transfer after not paying the fare.

Honestly, some bus drivers are just too nice and patient. And if they try standing up for themselves or tell customers the rules, then the passengers get all angry and report them for being nasty when they’re actually just doing their job....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t blame bus drivers not asking for fares. Some people are legit crazy and they could harm your safety. It’s best to let the transit police handle it. 
 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

ATTENTION: Please be advised, there is an Eagle Team posted at 155th Street/Amsterdam Avenue enforcing payment of fare along the Bx6-SBS route. Just looking out for my fellow transit buffs to ensure that they stay out of trouble. Have a great day guys.

 

Thats the whole point of them dawg

  • Thanks 1
  • LMAO! 3
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Snorunts said:

Honestly, some bus drivers are just too nice and patient. And if they try standing up for themselves or tell customers the rules, then the passengers get all angry and report them for being nasty when they’re actually just doing their job....

NICE put cameras on their buses right after farebeaters kept assaulting drivers on the n6 and n22. The usual suspects were Terrace Ave at Hempstead and South Franklin St, Elmont teens, and Queens Residents.  NICE B/Os are pretty level headed, the only ones who get under their skin are the West Indian people that use the n6 to travel between Long Island and Queens for church or relatives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

Thats the whole point of them dawg

I think he just wants to sound professional lol. 😂

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when there's 30 of each (8000 series LFS, 4800 XD-40 and 7000 4th Gens) at Ulmer Park, Queens Village and Castleton. Was this to test out which bus model would be best at those 3 depots?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I remember when there's 30 of each (8000 series LFS, 4800 XD-40 and 7000 4th Gens) at Ulmer Park, Queens Village and Castleton. Was this to test out which bus model would be best at those 3 depots?

 

Probably to put the models under different operating environments (Castleton with the hills in some parts, Brooklyn and Queens with heavy loads, Queens and Staten Island deadheading and etc). Someone with more knowledge may be able to shine light on this better though. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NY1635 said:

They don't want to pay the fare. I remember talking the n4 home from work at 2 in the morning. A Queens resident boarded the bus at Merrick and Farmers, then tried to get off on Laurelton. The Female B/O was having none of it and kept driving till the 7-11 at Hook/Creek and Merrick. He argued the whole way there and the B/O told him that the cameras were watching. Even after getting a free ride, he tried to ask for a transfer after not paying the fare.

Just by reading that.. I don't miss taking the N24 from Roosevelt Field to Queens VIllage on the late night..

Homeboy forgot bus is closed door into Valley Stream. SMDH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

49169626143_bfa345148a_c.jpg

BREAKING: Tentative agreement on contract. No details provided yet. Pending review. 

Edited by Future ENY OP
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I’m sorry I don’t believe that. 

Neither do I.....especially since there are times where the GPS systems tend to stop working on some buses.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Neither do I.....especially since there are times where the GPS systems tend to stop working on some buses.

I think when that happens, some people (including myself) call them “ghost buses.” I honestly get annoyed when that happens but it is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Neither do I.....especially since there are times where the GPS systems tend to stop working on some buses.

 

6 hours ago, Snorunts said:

I think when that happens, some people (including myself) call them “ghost buses.” I honestly get annoyed when that happens but it is what it is.

Not even, this is the first stop on the route. BusTime does not track deadheading or otherwise "not in service" buses, until they are on route in service.

Non-issue. 

  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

 

Not even, this is the first stop on the route. BusTime does not track deadheading or otherwise "not in service" buses, until they are on route in service.

Non-issue. 

The BusTime site probably doesnt, but the Transit App sure does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2019 at 6:47 PM, Snorunts said:

I think when that happens, some people (including myself) call them “ghost buses.” I honestly get annoyed when that happens but it is what it is.

I'd had buses that didn't show up on the radar. I only found out when the boarding passenger tells me they didn't see me on the app!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 12:15 PM, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

ATTENTION: Please be advised, there is an Eagle Team posted at 155th Street/Amsterdam Avenue enforcing payment of fare along the Bx6-SBS route. Just looking out for my fellow transit buffs to ensure that they stay out of trouble. Have a great day guys.

On 12/3/2019 at 12:40 PM, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

No, not everyday. They come and go. They utilize the act of surprise to bust fare beaters. While they might be stationed at particular bus stops, their presence is random.

It's one thing to simply/nonchalantly point out that Eagle Team is at particular stop on a particular route, but this whole little PSA of yours reads as if you're a farebeater warning us fellow farebeaters of their presence.....

On 12/3/2019 at 1:52 PM, S78 via Hylan said:

Something I noticed, but I don’t think I mentioned here: 

The S53, S57, S59, and S66 all begin their routes in Port Richmond by traveling right on Park Ave, right on Church St, then left on Port Richmond Av, however the S57 is the only one of the four routes that shows this on it’s timetable pdf file.

Has anyone else spotted errors like this?

I'm not sure if this is what you're ultimately alluding to, but I'll bring it up anyway.....

This isn't just regarding the MTA, but as far as fixed route local buses are concerned, my position when it comes to any renderings of a route map portrayed on their schedules, is that [the turnaround scenarios should be displayed] & that [the last pickup and first dropoff stops be illustrated/denoted on each end of the route].... Most maps show where the terminal is on each end of the route (usually indicated by a little square) in general... However, for routes with different/drastic last dropoff & first pickup stops on a particular end of the route, you have no idea if the little square in question is a first pickup spot or a last dropoff spot....

I created a spreadsheet of turnaround scenarios & last pickup/dropoff stops for most MTA routes in this city (plus some NICE, SCT, NJT, Bee-Line, and CTTransit (New Haven) ones) for personal use for that very reason.... The fun part for me is that 1] It's not based on anything depicted from any outside source, but first-hand experience/"legwork" instead, and 2] Trying to keep it updated...

On 12/3/2019 at 2:05 PM, Snorunts said:

Honestly, some bus drivers are just too nice and patient. And if they try standing up for themselves or tell customers the rules, then the passengers get all angry and report them for being nasty when they’re actually just doing their job....

IDK, I see it as more of that of indifference.... Outside of chit-chatting w/ fellow MTA workers that are tagging along w/ them, a lot of b/o's nowadays are (or at least seem) cold & standoff-ish (which is perfectly fine by me, as 1] I'm trying to go home at the end of the work day physically unscathed, just like they do & 2] w/o much of any unnecessary interruptions on top of it).... AFAIC, I don't blame 'em one bit..... Too many nuts out here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm not sure if this is what you're ultimately alluding to, but I'll bring it up anyway.....

This isn't just regarding the MTA, but as far as fixed route local buses are concerned, my position when it comes to any renderings of a route map portrayed on their schedules, is that [the turnaround scenarios should be displayed] & that [the last pickup and first dropoff stops be illustrated/denoted on each end of the route].... Most maps show where the terminal is on each end of the route (usually indicated by a little square) in general... However, for routes with different/drastic last dropoff & first pickup stops on a particular end of the route, you have no idea if the little square in question is a first pickup spot or a last dropoff spot....

I created a spreadsheet of turnaround scenarios & last pickup/dropoff stops for most MTA routes in this city (plus some NICE, SCT, NJT, Bee-Line, and CTTransit (New Haven) ones) for personal use for that very reason.... The fun part for me is that 1] It's not based on anything depicted from any outside source, but first-hand experience/"legwork" instead, and 2] Trying to keep it updated...

Yes, this is what I was going for. I’m also of the belief that routes should show last stops and first pickup stops. 
 

On another note: I’d like to see your spreadsheet if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I need someone to help me and hopefully Seveneleven or someone with experience can help mr out.

 

I just passed the 7-10 training and I was thinking about joining a depot on S.I. my concern and for that one has to drive express lines and I have no experience driving those bigger buses only the regular local ones.

 

Do we get any additional training to drive those buses?

Is a big difference between local and express buses? Im really stressed about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Realita19 said:

Hello, I need someone to help me and hopefully Seveneleven or someone with experience can help mr out.

I just passed the 7-10 training and I was thinking about joining a depot on S.I. my concern and for that one has to drive express lines and I have no experience driving those bigger buses only the regular local ones.

Do we get any additional training to drive those buses?

Is a big difference between local and express buses? Im really stressed about it.

 

I am answering your questions here in the B/O 7612 Hiring Process topic in the Transit Employment section, where it is more appropriate.

The BUS - Random Thoughts Thread is mainly to discuss bus service/random observations/detours or anything about NYCT/MTA Bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.