BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Lex said:

They probably want artics on the Q64 without placing more stress on LaGuardia...

It makes sense since the QM4 is suddenly moving back to CP without any route moving to BP. But if that were true where would BP get artics from for the Q64? Plus the Q6 out of JFK was rumored to get artics as well. However it appears that all the 6000/6100’s at MTA Bus is heading to Flatbush so it seems like it will be a while before we see a Q6 and Q64 conversion. I honestly don’t see more artics coming until the 2006-07 Orion VII’s get scrapped.  

16 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It makes sense since the QM4 is suddenly moving back to CP without any route moving to BP. But if that were true where would BP get artics from for the Q64? Plus the Q6 out of JFK was rumored to get artics as well. However it appears that all the 6000/6100’s at MTA Bus is heading to Flatbush so it seems like it will be a while before we see a Q6 and Q64 conversion. I honestly don’t see more artics coming until the 2006-07 Orion VII’s get scrapped.  

Let's not go too fast with this... Some are staying with LGA for possible Q70 service later on.  It was mentioned on a post a while ago from an LGA operator. The JFK ones I could see more coming and maybe more from Quill.

17 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

The B48, B57, and B60 are moving back to Grand Avenue in exchange for the Q58 which is heading back to Fresh Pond

Honestly, I like when the 48 was managed pretty well with Gleason.. Ever since it left it there it's been a s*it hole if you ask me.

It does pretty well with Fresh Pond, but truthfully sending it back to GA is the worse idea. They can't manage the routes they have with exception of the 38.

23 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Let's not go too fast with this... Some are staying with LGA for possible Q70 service later on.  It was mentioned on a post a while ago from an LGA operator. The JFK ones I could see more coming and maybe more from Quill.

They’re still going to continue that lease? How much does it cost MTA bus to lease each bus?

On 12/16/2019 at 3:34 PM, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Q58 which is heading back to Fresh Pond

That will be an improvement, the Q58 has been bunching more than usual after the move to Grand Ave. 

On a different note, how well are B/Os trained on queue jump signals? The Q53 ops dont always go on a white bar light while thru traffic has a red, even when it is safe to do so (which is most of the time).

18 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Honestly, I like when the 48 was managed pretty well with Gleason.. Ever since it left it there it's been a s*it hole if you ask me.

It does pretty well with Fresh Pond, but truthfully sending it back to GA is the worse idea. They can't manage the routes they have with exception of the 38.

Heh funny you mention that. A senior driver was telling me about how Gleason had the 48 earlier today out on Lincoln Road. Seems like a cool route.

6 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

Heh funny you mention that. A senior driver was telling me about how Gleason had the 48 earlier today out on Lincoln Road. Seems like a cool route.

When the route was in Gleason it was managed pretty well. I mean now for logistical reasons the 48 is heading back to GA and that doesn’t make sense to me where as it’s a easier deadhead from Gleason.  

7 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

When the route was in Gleason it was managed pretty well. I mean now for logistical reasons the 48 is heading back to GA and that doesn’t make sense to me where as it’s a easier deadhead from Gleason.  

We know Gleason partook in some damn good episodes knows how to manage their routes for the better.... But honestly, is there any route that went to Grand that ended up running better than it did from the previous depot it operated out of? Yeah it's a broken record at this point, but what is it about that depot.... Is it the locale, the water, or what, because I don't believe for one second that b/o's went to that depot & just stopped giving a f***....

--------------------------------

....which, I guess, segues to a potential topic for discussion.

Using whatever criteria y'all want, rank each [MTA] depot in this city from best to worst....... This should be interesting.

Edited by B35 via Church

47 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

We know Gleason partook in some damn good episodes knows how to manage their routes for the better.... But honestly, is there any route that went to Grand that ended up running better than it did from the previous depot it operated out of? Yeah it's a broken record at this point, but what is it about that depot.... Is it the locale, the water, or what, because I don't believe for one second that b/o's went to that depot & just stopped giving a f***....

--------------------------------

....which, I guess, segues to a potential topic for discussion.

Using whatever criteria y'all want, rank each [MTA] depot in this city from best to worst....... This should be interesting.

1. Quill (The flagship imho)

2. West Farms (Bx's equivalent of Quill)

3. The others

Then:

Manhattanville (lots of missing buses but Manhattan's network helps you avoid them)

Kingsbridge (Filthy buses with bedbugs)

Gun Hill (slightly filthier buses)

Grand Avenue (missing buses but unlike MHV youre screwed because theres no overlap in BK)

2nd worst: Castleton (buses run like shit)

Worst: Yukon (buses run like shit and drivers play too much)

From an unbiased perspective

Queens Division
Casey Stengel - One of the best
Jamaica - Very good depot. Depot is just mad old.
Queens Village - Very good depot
College Point - Mad busy, cool routes, Good depot
Far Rockaway/JFK - up and coming. Pretty good
LaGuardia - Has a big service area, lots of routes. Up and coming

Manhattan Division
Mother Clara Hale - Nice new depot, Its good.
Manhattanville - Got some of the slowest routes, Covers all of Manhattan, Good depot
MJQ - Great depot. Just has the slowest routes.
Tuskegee - Has long routes. Busy. Good depot.

Brooklyn Division
ENY - A little bit of everything. Good depot
Flatbush - East NY part 2. Has some busy routes. One of the better Brooklyn depots. Good.
Jackie Gleason - Been on point for a long time. Excellent
Grand Av - Big New Depot, Lots of routes, its good.
Ulmer Park - Low key. Good at what it does. Good
Spring Creek - same as Ulmer Park. Good
Fresh Pond - Weird. Its in the middle. OK

Staten Island - lol🤣

The Bronx Division
West Farms - The leader of the pack. Excellent
Kingsbridge and Gun Hill - Damn 

Eastchester - Doesn't exist🤣

My Personal top 5 all time

1. LGA - Dope routes. Mad variety with its routes. Has always had the dopest oldest buses. Childhood depot. Has been looking good in recent days.
2. Kingsbridge - Love all of its routes. Better than Gun Hill. Frequency is mad high. Just wish the appearance was better. But I think its cool.
3. West Farms. Has a great diverse fleet. Has some cool routes. The cleanest buses in all of the Bronx. An example to the other Bronx depots. Always has the cooler buses in The Bronx.
4. Jackie Gleason. What can I say that hasn't been said. A+ 
5. Manhattanvile. Manhattanville has a great diversity when it comes to its routes. They do a great job of serving all of Manhattan. Other than the southern tip of the island, Manhattanville takes you everywhere.
You got routes like the M4 that go to the top of Manhattan and others that go all the way to the village M2. You got your East Village, Midtown, Harlem, Washington Heights, Riverbank Pk, Times Sq, 5th Av. The list goes on and on Also Manhattanville routes move slightly faster than MJQ.

Edited by Q23 via 108

13 minutes ago, NBTA said:

Lmao, y'all forget, when y'all slander a depot, you gotta remind yourself of the people that live in the areas around the depot, and around the bus lines out of the depot.

57 minutes ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Eastchester - Doesn't exist🤣

Analysis checks out.

Best Depots

Manhattanville- When it comes to service they don't play and actually manage to come on time and have things running smoothly. Sometimes it does have to deal with the traffic in midtown and harlem river drive.

Mother Clara Hale- Has good routes. Needs a bit of diversity when it comes to routes.

East New York- Are the king of Brooklyn in my opinion and the routes are great to ride on.

Worst Depots

MJQ- Slowest routes in Manhattan, routes are mostly crosstown and select, and barely arrive on time.

Kingsbridge- Dirty buses enough said

Gun Hill- Dirty buses plus buses are always bunched up