BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

The Q44?

The Bx12 SBS is more like it.

That route is so ghetto, and the depot it comes out of. But yeah that route obviously has the crowds, and I forgot about the highway portion that route has, and clearly the hills along the route are steeper.

Yeah, MTA really needs to test these buses on system wide selects, especially the Bx12 and Q44, Q44 maintain for the Whitestone bridge incline while crowded. 

29 minutes ago, Calvin said:

7420 currently has a rear camera, similar to where the camera itself is located on the MTA Bus 6200s. You may see this on the rest of Stengel's XD-40s and others in various depots as well (XD-60s included). 

It's been there awhile now, like a few months? I think 7421 has one too but I think it's just those two out of CS XD40 batch. 

I think the MTA should think about adjusting schedules during the holidays. When school is out and some people are on vacation buses are running over schedule because it was supposed to reflect normal passenger service. I think during when school is out schedules should be adjusted until after the new year. 

7 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

I think the MTA should think about adjusting schedules during the holidays. When school is out and some people are on vacation buses are running over schedule because it was supposed to reflect normal passenger service. I think during when school is out schedules should be adjusted until after the new year. 

I just got an MTA email that Queens limited buses will not run on Mon or Tues, and all other queens buses run on a "holiday schedule." WTF does that mean?

I am still working Mon and Tues, and need the express bus. Anyone know if these have a special holiday schedule?? I don't really want to have to play aroundw with the shitty trip planner tool.@Via Garibaldi 8

4 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I just got an MTA email that Queens limited buses will not run on Mon or Tues, and all other queens buses run on a "holiday schedule." WTF does that mean?

I am still working Mon and Tues, and need the express bus. Anyone know if these have a special holiday schedule?? I don't really want to have to play aroundw with the shitty trip planner tool.@Via Garibaldi 8

I didn't know i had such amazing powers!!! lol. People do still work regular hours on those days. They should adjusted routes to run on a different time than to not have them run at all to reflect those who are still here for the holidays. 

On 12/21/2019 at 8:20 AM, Lawrence St said:

Do none of the eastbound M34 riders read the destination sign to know if it's going to Waterside or FDR Drive? I swear at least 19 people come up to to the driver everyday at 2nd Av asking if they're going to Waterside or not.

I have had the same problem with the southbound b/44 sbs  as  there are three terminals (U,X and Knapp) and my eyes have to be very fast to catch which one is the bus going to where at that time. For the record there is no pole listing when which bus is coming at the stop that I board (Avenue L)

The problem is that the sign says "select bus" three times before a mention of the route and then finally the bus destination. At which time the sequence reverts back to the" select bus" and if your eyes are not that good as many in age bracket will attest, you land up asking the driver the question. The sign itself is very hard to see as both the bus itself and its destination sign are blue although different shades and the letters are in yellow. When the sign just says one terminal, there is no problem  

A large percentage of the b/44 sbs riders know it is an SBS even from a distance so that there is no need to repeat SBS three times. What is needed is for the bus destination to be repeated more than once before the system rotates the signs again.

40 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Reduced weekday schedule.

I believe Express Buses are not affected.

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

QMs should be running regular service Monday and Tuesday since they are (MTA) Bus.   @checkmatechamp13 and myself had a discussion with the (MTA) this week in fact about providing more notice with the holiday schedules in general, but this is all they have up and this isn't for (MTA) Bus:

https://new.mta.info/schedules/bus/special

We also have some dispatchers in my group, so the information that I posted seems to be accurate, which is regular service for (MTA) Bus express buses. I can't speak for the local buses though, since we don't cover them. Some NYCT express bus routes have holiday schedules as noted above.  The SIMs will have extra getaway service as well.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

38 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

QMs should be running regular service Monday and Tuesday since they are (MTA) Bus.   @checkmatechamp13 and myself had a discussion with the (MTA) this week in fact about providing more notice with the holiday schedules in general, but this is all they have up and this isn't for (MTA) Bus:

https://new.mta.info/schedules/bus/special

We also have some dispatchers in my group, so the information that I posted seems to be accurate, which is regular service for (MTA) Bus express buses. I can't speak for the local buses though, since we don't cover them. Some NYCT express bus routes have holiday schedules as noted above.  The SIMs will have extra getaway service as well.

49 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Reduced weekday schedule.

I believe Express Buses are not affected.

Thank you both! I wonder why they didn't do this on Thursday or today..ridership and traffic in general were very light. Although this afternoon, the 3:05 QM6 to Queens was PACKED. This is a digression, but as part of the bus redesign, they really should shift service on exp buses on Friday afternoons to move more runs to earlier in the afternoon. The 2:30-5 pm runs get slammed, which ridership is lighter than during the rest of the week after those times, until late night when people are heading back to Queens from clubs, parties, etc. 

39 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Pretty interesting to have reduced service the 27, 30, 31, and I assume the 1st too. That's a long stretch of time until service is normal again, but then again the city does feel pretty empty – just a lot of tourists.

Midtown is still packed with tourists, especially mid-day. THe express buses have been really slow making the loop around the city, but then make up most of the time after going over the bridge because it is much emptier than usual. 

5 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The SBS 82 will now stop inside the new Rockaway Parkway (L) bus terminal, the machines aren't up yet but the bus stop sign is.

The 6 and the 82 will stop at the old 42 stop and the new 42 stop is across from the train yard. There's no fence seperating the 6/82 and 42 anymore..

So is that free in system bus-subway transfer going to extend to the B6 and B82 or no?

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

So is that free in system bus-subway transfer going to extend to the B6 and B82 or no?

I passed by there eariler and they put up new signs by the new turnstiles outside the station. It says

Enter for 

(L)

B6 to Bensonhurst

B82 to Coney Island

B82-SBS to Bensonhurst

So, maybe it has, maybe it doesn't IDK yet

20 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many buses are needed for service on each SBS route? (specifically the Manhttan ones out of Quill)

I’m wondering how many standard buses are needed for the B46-SBS compared to how many articulated buses. Same with the B82-SBS.

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many buses are needed for service on each SBS route? (specifically the Manhttan ones out of Quil)

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

I’m wondering how many standard buses are needed for the B46-SBS compared to how many articulated buses. Same with the B82-SBS.

If any of you have the Hillman MTA Tracker app, take a look at each relevant period (morning and afternoon rush, midday, weekend, late night, etc) and the route will show the number of buses.

The B6 and the Bx36 run big loads. The B6 is running 23 buses right now at almost 11 PM. I think I've seen it run up to the high 40s in the rush hours.

The B46-SBS has 4 buses right now, but obviously that's not the same as during the rush. B82-SBS has 4 right now.

Right now all the Quill SBS lines above 14th Street (except the M60 with 😎 have 4 buses. The M14D has 9 and the M14A has 8.

It's a quick but rough way to estimate how many buses there are.

Edited by GojiMet86

2 hours ago, MTA Bus said:

I passed by there eariler and they put up new signs by the new turnstiles outside the station. It says

Enter for 

(L)

B6 to Bensonhurst

B82 to Coney Island

B82-SBS to Bensonhurst

So, maybe it has, maybe it doesn't IDK yet

So if the B82 SBS stops behind the turnstiles... Wouldn’t you have to not only swipe your card at the turnstile, but also dip your card at the SBS machine?

Or would everyone that boards at that stop and gets on the SBS have to eat a fine upon being stopped by the popo for not having a receipt?