BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On 1/6/2020 at 9:07 AM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

This right here. They press it excessively just to mess up the numbers or they take their frustration out on the button. The door has passenger counters so I hope the MTA is using that and calculating the difference of who did pay to find out how many didn't. Because that pissed me off this morning, looked like he was fake saying the box isn't working but pressing a button for each person that walk on, I've NEVER seen that. I was heated. 

The door counter is only available on some Staten Island buses, and it is known that is not accurate at times. It provides a rough idea of how many people board the bus, but the technology is still being refined. As an example, numerous express buses will say "Limited Seating" on BusTime, when in reality, the bus is standing room only.  All new buses should have the technology for sure though, especially on the express bus side.

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/6/2020 at 7:53 AM, Brillant93 said:

Ive been meaning to speak on that fare box F5 thing. I’ve been witnessing BO pressing it excessively when people don’t pay their fare. One time there was like three people who didn’t and the BO pressed it like 7 times. It happens a lot so when the MTA does it report on fare loss I think this BO are at partial fault because they’re not pressing the button to reflect who didn’t actually pay. 

The B/O is actually trying to save his job and that run that he/she is on.

Press F5 after rider beats fare - Rider is tallied

Not pressing F5 after rider beats fare - Rider is not tallied. Bean counters downtown (falsely) believe route is losing riders, opening the door for more service cuts down the line.

2 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

The B/O is actually trying to save his job and that run that he/she is on.

Press F5 after rider beats fare - Rider is tallied

Not pressing F5 after rider beats fare - Rider is not tallied. Bean counters downtown (falsely) believe route is losing riders, opening the door for more service cuts down the line.

Correct... Now the (MTA) has an Eagle Team that goes around to various routes (not just SBS) trying to crackdown on farebeating. Once word gets out, people start paying on those routes and ridership numbers go up.

18 hours ago, Calvin said:

Noticed a line for the Q64 started from the 1st stop to Electchester went all the way to the end of 70th Rd. With that, there's 2 buses at the stop while the next one is at Jewel Av and Main St around 4 PM. 

Yeah... Have fun with buses coming from JFK addressing those crowds in a couple of years.....

3 hours ago, paulrivera said:

....Press F5 after rider beats fare - Rider is tallied

Not pressing F5 after rider beats fare - Rider is not tallied.....

Although I've been on buses where b/o's (seemingly / excessively) pressed F5, this is the exact conclusion I've came to.... I'd simply say to myself, why the f*** is he/she pressing it so many dam times for..... I remember one bus in particular I was on (irrelevant, but this was the B47 I took from ENY av to Woodhull), where it was only the one dude that boarded without paying, and there was about a nonstop succession of beeps for about a good 30 seconds or so..... The dude was on the more chubbier side, but come on now.....

Never thought about it (the whole overpressing of F5) that much, to the point where it's something I'd bother mentioning on the forums here though....

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Correct... Now the (MTA) has an Eagle Team that goes around to various routes (not just SBS) trying to crackdown on farebeating. Once word gets out, people start paying on those routes and ridership numbers go up.

I don’t even take the whole eagle team concept serious because they are barely around. I thought they were suppose to periodically pop up and now and then on select bus routes and check to see if people are paying their fare and I never see them at all. I see people of all ages boldly just walking past the driver and it’s a thing I see everyday. The only way people are going to take it seriously is if they really  enforce the fare on the buses instead of never. 

33 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t even take the whole eagle team concept serious because they are barely around. I thought they were suppose to periodically pop up and now and then on select bus routes and check to see if people are paying their fare and I never see them at all. I see people of all ages boldly just walking past the driver and it’s a thing I see everyday. The only way people are going to take it seriously is if they really  enforce the fare on the buses instead of never. 

Yeah, I don't know how often this is crackdown is taking place to be honest, but supposedly it's happening on the non SBS local buses as well that have been problems in the Bronx and on Staten Island.  They seem pull off a ton of people at once when they do them.

On 1/6/2020 at 7:53 AM, Brillant93 said:

Ive been meaning to speak on that fare box F5 thing. I’ve been witnessing BO pressing it excessively when people don’t pay their fare. One time there was like three people who didn’t and the BO pressed it like 7 times. It happens a lot so when the MTA does it report on fare loss I think this BO are at partial fault because they’re not pressing the button to reflect who didn’t actually pay. 

The state lost 6 billion last year, apparently BOs have been hitting F5s like Control, Alt, Delete every five seconds.

Tell them stop using F5 like a panic button and tell those teens stop fare beating.

I took the Q12 during the PM rush from Flushing for the first time ever yesterday.  There was a massive line for the bus around 5PM and when it came, it was a free for all with the vast majority of people boarding the bus through the back door like an SBS.  Enough that the driver would probably break his F5 button.  Is this normal of what the Q12 looks like?  It doesn't happen on the regular routes I take out of Flushing going north.

47 minutes ago, 7-express said:

I took the Q12 during the PM rush from Flushing for the first time ever yesterday.  There was a massive line for the bus around 5PM and when it came, it was a free for all with the vast majority of people boarding the bus through the back door like an SBS.  Enough that the driver would probably break his F5 button.  Is this normal of what the Q12 looks like?  It doesn't happen on the regular routes I take out of Flushing going north.

It's been that way ever since the Q12 got articulated buses and NICE made it clear that they don't pick up in Queens traveling to Nassau

1 hour ago, 7-express said:

Why did the driver unlock his back doors too? I mean still no excuse but simple steps could've prevented rampant farebeating.

13 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Why did the driver unlock his back doors too? I mean still no excuse but simple steps could've prevented rampant farebeating.

Not sure why or if someone forced it open since I was too far back in line.  But it looked like a grand total of 10 people swiped in a bus full of 50+ people.

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

This is one of the things I take issue with. Why some ops create opportunities to enable fare evasion is beyond me. 

17 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

16 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

This is one of the things I take issue with. Why some ops create opportunities to enable fare evasion is beyond me. 

Operators are supposed to unlock the back doors at every stop, even if they're only picking up. 

I get both trains of thought (why the MTA does it & why passengers would disapprove of it)....

JMO, but opening the doors makes sense; allows for easier passenger disembarkment (it's not realistic to expect the b/o to know who's sitting where & when they're going to get off).... Besides, it kind of defeats the purpose to promote exiting through the back doors, while keeping them locked (or whatever the correct terminology is) all the time.... It's unfortunate that we have thieves taking advantage of that practice, but the practice in & of itself has merit - even though it does amount to a time-waste for passengers....

It's probably also so the B/Os get used to opening the back doors for all-door boarding.

The main issue I have with opening the back door is when they automatically open and so we're sitting there waiting for them to close or they have to be pulled closed. On the other hand, it's annoying when someone has to yell for the back door to be opened and they're shoving the door when they know it's not unlocked until the light is on.

58 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I get both trains of thought (why the MTA does it & why passengers would disapprove of it)....

JMO, but opening the doors makes sense; allows for easier passenger disembarkment (it's not realistic to expect the b/o to know who's sitting where & when they're going to get off).... Besides, it kind of defeats the purpose to promote exiting through the back doors, while keeping them locked (or whatever the correct terminology is) all the time.... It's unfortunate that we have thieves taking advantage of that practice, but the practice in & of itself has merit - even though it does amount to a time-waste for passengers....

I totally understand why you should do it mid-route but when I read his post, I assume he meant that it was the first stop so the B/O isn’t carrying anyone because after all, the Q12 originates in Flushing. If it’s the first stop, just the front door should be unlocked because there isn’t a need to accommodate anyone.

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

I totally understand why you should do it mid-route but when I read his post, I assume he meant that it was the first stop so the B/O isn’t carrying anyone because after all, the Q12 originates in Flushing. If it’s the first stop, just the front door should be unlocked because there isn’t a need to accommodate anyone.

This is where all door boarding will come in handy. It's irritating to wait on a long line to board a bus (Flushing/Jamaica) while everyone takes their time dipping their metrocard, digging through their purse, dropping change, etc, only for the people to start crowding in the front and you have to squeeze pass them when there is ample room in the back. 😒

That's if the B/O doesn't stop you from boarding because they think the bus is full.

9 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

This is where all door boarding will come in handy. It's irritating to wait on a long line to board a bus (Flushing/Jamaica) while everyone takes their time dipping their metrocard, digging through their purse, dropping change, etc, only for the people to start crowding in the front and you have to squeeze pass them when there is ample room in the back. 😒

That's if the B/O doesn't stop you from boarding because they think the bus is full.

I’ve been watching a handful of passengers everyday on my bus route holding their MetroCard incorrectly (which is also time consuming). Tourists or not, it says on the bottom of the card which way it’s supposed to be faced. People these days are too lazy to read, it’s super irritating!

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

Q70+? Do they have USB ports installed on LaGuardia Depot’s 2015 Xcelsiors?

Whoops, no but,

Damn. I thought to myself, what route is missing. Eventually, it may go artic but who knows. For now, the SB ports are off the quote.  

Edited by Calvin