Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

18 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, and it wasn't a little bit of water either... 

Yesterday:

82541253_10218581766627832_7074549527289

This morning: 82376125_10218590596848582_6183726323156

Wow...Yes that not a little bit of water....

20 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I'm pretty sure those artics on the M96 had something to do with the water main break on the upper west side knocking out subway service on the West Side IRT....

I think it had everything to do with that....

The fact that they changed the “Bus lanes are for buses” animation from the bus vaporizing cars to the bus taking a giant Polaroid picture is pretty darn hilarious.

Keep an eye out for it next time you guys ride a bus with the new screens.

• LMAO! 1

23 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

The fact that they changed the “Bus lanes are for buses” animation from the bus vaporizing cars to the bus taking a giant Polaroid picture is pretty darn hilarious.

MTA was giving cars in the bus lane the Thanos snap.

• LMAO! 7

4 hours ago, paulrivera said:

They had another one during the holiday season where the bus vaporizes Santa's sleigh as he's making deliveries 😂

• LMAO! 3

10 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I saw that, laughed, and then said to myself "really? They paid some graphic designer to make this video, but they can't bother to correct the problems with the automated announcements? Priorities..."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I saw that, laughed, and then said to myself "really? They paid some graphic designer to make this video, but they can't bother to correct the problems with the automated announcements? Priorities..."

So you’re telling me the Q46 LTD doesn’t go to Leej Hoss and that the Bx12 Plus doesn’t go to the Jacobi Hoss on Websterav where you can transfer for a Nehave train?

Edited by paulrivera
  • LMAO! 2

20 hours ago, paulrivera said:

• LMAO! 3

On 1/15/2020 at 12:22 PM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

the confusion lies with people being LAZY. lazy minded individuals don't bother looking at destination signs or even the actual color scheme of the bus. people just see a large vehicle, translate it in their mind as "BUS! must be the one i need, so I'm getting on, and it better be going where I need to go..."

not all, but some.

On 1/15/2020 at 6:18 PM, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Yes some of the passengers out there are getting confused, like EastFlatbushLarry stated  that some of the passengers are just  lazy to even read the destination sign. I will only give credit to passengers that may be visual impaired or have some sort of disabilities. Like yesterday I blew my swing "Break/Lunch" and I was instructed by Console Command Center to do a short trip to Empire Blvd after my lunch break and start back the other direction at my regular time. I swear the destination sign stated in big bold letters  "B41  EMPIRE BLVD" and I also pre-recorded on my phone with the Speak4me app onto the bus speakers where each time the door opens the outside speakers repeats 3 times "This is the B41 To Empire Blvd.....Last stop Empire Blvd" and I made sure I put the volume on the speakeasy announcement loud enough that it would just annoyed the crap out of you and I still had passengers asking me if I was going downtown or they all look shock when they find out my last stop is empire blvd.  

Some of the passengers on the B41 thinks the sbs wrap buses are limited buses only.... All they see a big blue bus with the sbs color scheme and they assume its a limited bus.

Similar things happened when my homeboy did a S44 short-turn to Post and Jewett Avs. His bus would have the proper signange and he announced it along the way. You’d still have passengers at Post/Jewett or onboard asking if the bus was going all the way to the mall. I used to get a good chuckle out of it.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

How to convert a standard to an artic: 

MTA cuts one of the two buses in half and then add accordions to each of its bite size pieces. 

*The front and back must not be removed, borderline point only

*Keyboards not included

Edited by Calvin

7 minutes ago, Calvin said:

MTA cuts the buses in half and then add accordions to each piece. 

I’d say take two buses, cut off the rear in the first one and cut off the front in the second, then add the bendy part. 🤣

• LMAO! 2

6 hours ago, Calvin said:

MTA cuts one of the two buses in half and then add accordions to each of its bite size pieces. 

*The front and back must not be removed, borderline point only

*Keyboards not included

You must be bored.

• LMAO! 2

Due to the impending snow, the following artic routes in the Bronx are running standard 40ft at this time.

Kingsbridge: Bx1, Bx2, Bx9

West Farms: Bx6, Bx19, Bx35, Bx36

Gun Hill: Bx4, Bx4A, Bx5, Bx12, Bx12 SBS, Bx22, Bx40, Bx42

The Bx6 SBS, Bx15, Bx39, Bx41, and Bx41 SBS are the only routes running fully Articulated at this time.

There are a couple of Artics running on the Bx4, Bx4A, Bx19 and Bx22.

Majority of the routes are running from their own depot, while Manhattanville is assisting Gun Hill with some of their routes.

Where did the artics for the B38 come from and what pushed them out of the original depot? Someone told me Gun Hill Road because the ex-SBS LFSA units from Manhattanville pushed out the Xcelsiors.

25 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Where did the artics for the B38 come from and what pushed them out of the original depot? Someone told me Gun Hill Road because the ex-SBS LFSA units from Manhattanville pushed out the Xcelsiors.

Manhattanville did not have LFSAs (the entire fleet there has been all diesel-electric hybrids). The XD60s at Grand Avenue for the B38 came from Gun Hill and Kingsbridge due to LFSAs from Flatbush and Mother Clara Hale coming in to push them out (both received new buses for SBS duty).

Edited by JeremiahC99

I just wanted to bring this up to attention because it seems like something that should've been created a while ago but never went into fruition. I mentioned this is another thread but this is the most appropriate thread for this convo. 

The B1 gets most of its usage during rush hour, so having artics any other time and running local is fine: long as stops are accounted for, and the traffic congestion for the stop at 5th and 86st is enforced, and the turn onto 87st from 5th and the layover space is modified (they honestly need to remove parking on that entire block tbh). 

But rush hour...there needs to be some type of rush hour limited with the school rush. From Ave U to Kingsborough and vice versa, buses need to run limited starting at Ave U and stopping at 86 St (N) , McDonald (F) ,Coney Island Hospital,  Ocean Pkwy and West Ave (easy transfer) (B4, B36), Brighton and Ocean (Q)  , Brighton and Coney Island Ave (B)(Q) , and Kingsborough.   

AM To Kingsborough: Buses that start at Ave U run LOCAL, buses that start under the (B)(Q) wait for a train, fill up and run LIMITED. Select buses that start in Bay Ridge run LIMITED after Ave U. 

PM from Kingsborough: Select buses running to Bay Ridge run NON STOP to Coney Island hospital, and LIMITED to Ave U. Buses running to Ave U run LOCAL. Buses running to Ocean Pkwy run LIMITED. 

They need a rush hour service pattern like that. Sorry for going off topic but I hope higher ups here can take notes, spread the word and probably do something down the line. 

I'm 90% sure the MTA is aware of the problem, and will hopefully go with this plan for the redesign. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I just wanted to bring this up to attention because it seems like something that should've been created a while ago but never went into fruition. I mentioned this is another thread but this is the most appropriate thread for this convo. 

The B1 gets most of its usage during rush hour, so having artics any other time and running local is fine: long as stops are accounted for, and the traffic congestion for the stop at 5th and 86st is enforced, and the turn onto 87st from 5th and the layover space is modified (they honestly need to remove parking on that entire block tbh). 

But rush hour...there needs to be some type of rush hour limited with the school rush. From Ave U to Kingsborough and vice versa, buses need to run limited starting at Ave U and stopping at 86 St (N) , McDonald (F) ,Coney Island Hospital,  Ocean Pkwy and West Ave (easy transfer) (B4, B36), Brighton and Ocean (Q)  , Brighton and Coney Island Ave (B)(Q) , and Kingsborough.   

AM To Kingsborough: Buses that start at Ave U run LOCAL, buses that start under the (B)(Q) wait for a train, fill up and run LIMITED. Select buses that start in Bay Ridge run LIMITED after Ave U. 

PM from Kingsborough: Select buses running to Bay Ridge run NON STOP to Coney Island hospital, and LIMITED to Ave U. Buses running to Ave U run LOCAL. Buses running to Ocean Pkwy run LIMITED. 

They need a rush hour service pattern like that. Sorry for going off topic but I hope higher ups here can take notes, spread the word and probably do something down the line. 

I'm 90% sure the MTA is aware of the problem, and will hopefully go with this plan for the redesign. 

So if I'm understanding this correctly, you have local buses running to/from Avenue U and limited buses to/from Bay Ridge with short turn limiteds to/from Brighton Beach?

Just now, Around the Horn said:

So if I'm understanding this correctly, you have local buses running to/from Avenue U and limited buses to/from Bay Ridge with short turn limiteds to/from Brighton Beach?

Yepp, select buses from Bay Ridge run limited after Ave U and some full local. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I would have the PM pattern be the same as the AM pattern. I get that you want to separate the 3 different groups of riders (riders heading to/from the subway, riders heading to Gravesend, and riders heading to Bensonhurst/Dyker Heights/Bay Ridge), but you also have to consider the local residents within Brighton Beach who need to travel further west.

The Q55 on the weekend is such a hit or miss. It really isn’t uncommon to wait 30-40 minutes for a bus which is exactly what deters ridership. And then the amount of buses that go out of service once the bus hits Jamaica Ave and 117th street is outrageous especially when there is a huge gap in service. 
Then again I think all the Queens routes based out of Brooklyn depots have terrible reliability because the Q24, Q54, Q56 and Q59 are not any better at all. The only thing that saves the Q58 is the amount of buses that run on the route but the Q58 definitely has its moments where you’ll wait forever just to have 5 buses bunched up.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The Q55 on the weekend is such a hit or miss. It really isn’t uncommon to wait 30-40 minutes for a bus which is exactly what deters ridership. And then the amount of buses that go out of service once the bus hits Jamaica Ave and 117th street is outrageous especially when there is a huge gap in service. 

Then again I think all the Queens routes based out of Brooklyn depots have terrible reliability because the Q24, Q54, Q56 and Q59 are not any better at all. The only thing that saves the Q58 is the amount of buses that run on the route but the Q58 definitely has its moments where you’ll wait forever just to have 5 buses bunched up.

Gotta a question for you. You think reliability will do well at Queens Village or Jamaica if the Q24 or Q56 were based there? East New York and Grand Avenue have their issues with the queens routes already let alone the Brooklyn routes they already do have. 

What Fresh Pond does excellent is they beef up the Q58 service while yes (I agree with you) the Q58 tends to bunch a lot in lieu to its travel pattern to Flushing. That’s a whole different story and in addition the 58 is back at the Pond.

Q54 is another line that bunches. However, similar to the Q58 with the beefed up service  

Hopefully, with the Queens/Brooklyn bus realignment some of these questions can be answered. (In another 3 years..... smh) 

Every weekend I feel like the M34-SBS schedule is non-existent. The FDR Drive buses come when they want to and you could be waiting 25 minutes for a bus only for 4 to show up at once all going to Waterside Plaza (including the M34A-SBS). Not to mention that the actual schedule has THREE Waterside bound M34 buses before an actual FDR Drive one.

21 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Every weekend I feel like the M34-SBS schedule is non-existent. The FDR Drive buses come when they want to and you could be waiting 25 minutes for a bus only for 4 to show up at once all going to Waterside Plaza (including the M34A-SBS). Not to mention that the actual schedule has THREE Waterside bound M34 buses before an actual FDR Drive one.

Waterside is alot more in accessible. Unlike the FDR branch, there's no alternatives. Atleast the FDR you have the M15 somewhat nearby. 

58 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

Waterside is alot more in accessible. Unlike the FDR branch, there's no alternatives. Atleast the FDR you have the M15 somewhat nearby. 

Does the M34A not operate frequently enough? I would understand one or two M34 trips there every hour but 90% of the hourly schedule is going to Waterside.