Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Gotta a question for you. You think reliability will do well at Queens Village or Jamaica if the Q24 or Q56 were based there? East New York and Grand Avenue have their issues with the queens routes already let alone the Brooklyn routes they already do have. 

What Fresh Pond does excellent is they beef up the Q58 service while yes (I agree with you) the Q58 tends to bunch a lot in lieu to its travel pattern to Flushing. That’s a whole different story and in addition the 58 is back at the Pond.

Q54 is another line that bunches. However, similar to the Q58 with the beefed up service  

Hopefully, with the Queens/Brooklyn bus realignment some of these questions can be answered. (In another 3 years..... smh) 

I do think it’s partially the depots fault and the streets these routes travel down. What I explained with the Q55 is something that always happens with no fail. I know it’s impossible to have routes always run perfectly on schedule, but I feel that some of these issue can be avoided if the depots just managed these routes better. There is no reason for a bus route to bunch on 20 minutes. At the same time a lot of Queens streets are narrow which does contribute to the slowdowns, but it never made sense to me how conditions would be so bad that the following bus would magically catch up to the late bus almost all the time. If anything that bus should be just as late as the first one. I think JA and QV do for the most part manage their routes better but they aren’t prefect themselves. 

However the MTA would handle it by just removing a ton of stops and hoping that large masses of people would adjust to walking, to the nearest stop. What they fail to realize is that some people already have to walk just to the main block where the bus is at. I’m not totally against stop removal, but it has to be done correctly and not just for the sake of just doing it. Sometimes they just need to take ownership and be more responsible for the problems they create because they do have real consequences for the people who use the service. I’m not a huge fan of this sudden redesign of the entire bus system because you can tell it’s rushed and made with the intent on saving money. Of course they have to disguise it by saving that all this is cost neutral but several of these proposed changes will do nothing more but further deter ridership and affect the people who rely on the bus. I always felt that the redesign should be done in smaller pieces such as minor route tweaks, implement things such as nonstop variants and short turns and so on just to see how the public reacts to the changes. But of course the MTA has no money so I’m being too unrealistic.

19 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Does the M34A not operate frequently enough? I would understand one or two M34 trips there every hour but 90% of the hourly schedule is going to Waterside.

That's hardly surprising. In general, the Waterside branch has far more going for it (in addition to the development itself, there are schools, medical facilities, a theater, and more residences), whereas the only thing of note on the Ferry Landing branch is, well, the ferry landing, and that's not exactly hard to reach from the Waterside buses.

4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The Q55 on the weekend is such a hit or miss. It really isn’t uncommon to wait 30-40 minutes for a bus which is exactly what deters ridership. And then the amount of buses that go out of service once the bus hits Jamaica Ave and 117th street is outrageous especially when there is a huge gap in service.

And on top of that, every single EB bus still is a sardine can before it ever leaves Ridgewood.... What do you notice just about more of along Myrtle av east of Ridgewood on the weekends?

Hint: It sure as hell isn't waiting passengers !

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Every weekend I feel like the M34-SBS schedule is non-existent. The FDR Drive buses come when they want to and you could be waiting 25 minutes for a bus only for 4 to show up at once all going to Waterside Plaza (including the M34A-SBS). Not to mention that the actual schedule has THREE Waterside bound M34 buses before an actual FDR Drive one.

The M34 SBS period is a PITA.... Feel sorry for those Waterside folks; they have to deal with one of, if not the most unreliable SBS routes in the city....

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Gotta a question for you. You think reliability will do well at Queens Village or Jamaica if the Q24 or Q56 were based there? East New York and Grand Avenue have their issues with the queens routes already let alone the Brooklyn routes they already do have. 

What Fresh Pond does excellent is they beef up the Q58 service while yes (I agree with you) the Q58 tends to bunch a lot in lieu to its travel pattern to Flushing. That’s a whole different story and in addition the 58 is back at the Pond.

Q54 is another line that bunches. However, similar to the Q58 with the beefed up service  

Hopefully, with the Queens/Brooklyn bus realignment some of these questions can be answered. (In another 3 years..... smh) 

Sending the Q24 elsewhere won't really fix it's problems.

3 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The Q55 on the weekend is such a hit or miss. It really isn’t uncommon to wait 30-40 minutes for a bus which is exactly what deters ridership. And then the amount of buses that go out of service once the bus hits Jamaica Ave and 117th street is outrageous especially when there is a huge gap in service. 
Then again I think all the Queens routes based out of Brooklyn depots have terrible reliability because the Q24, Q54, Q56 and Q59 are not any better at all. The only thing that saves the Q58 is the amount of buses that run on the route but the Q58 definitely has its moments where you’ll wait forever just to have 5 buses bunched up.

I actually disagree.

The Q56 for me, comes much more often and is much more better managed than the Q24 or Q54. The Q54 bunches, but it shows up. The Q24.....don't get me started on that.

I've never really had much problems with the Q59.

2 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Sending the Q24 elsewhere won't really fix its problems.

Funny - That was my exact response to New Flyer's original premise, regarding those aforementioned Queens routes that run out of Brooklyn depots.....

2 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

I actually disagree.

The Q56 for me, comes much more often and is much more better managed than the Q24 or Q54. The Q54 bunches, but it shows up. The Q24.....don't get me started on that.

Q24 seldom ever comes when I want it; I prefer the Q56 anyway, so there's no love lost on that note.....

I don't have a real use for the Q54, and my experiences with the Q59 is in direct contrast with yours - it takes a millenia for it to arrive when I need it, and when I finally embark on it, I can take several naps before getting to WBP from QCM or Rego Park... It's to the point where in my last couple times taking it, I've gotten impatient & just got the hell off it at Graham for the B43 & take that to Empire/Brooklyn.... Taking a grand tour (walking) around KCH to get home is a pretty good walk I've gotten accustomed to... LOL!

• LMAO! 1

5 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I would have the PM pattern be the same as the AM pattern. I get that you want to separate the 3 different groups of riders (riders heading to/from the subway, riders heading to Gravesend, and riders heading to Bensonhurst/Dyker Heights/Bay Ridge), but you also have to consider the local residents within Brighton Beach who need to travel further west.

It would be every other bus. One nonstop and one fully local to Bay Ridge. Headway would be about 12-14 mins for each. Most local residents take the bus during the off peak and weekends, which would be fully local. During rush hour most locals aren't dealing with the school rush and if they are, they have a bus every 12mins or so. 

48 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

This. I agree. Sending outside ENY doesn’t fix problems for both the 24 and 56. However, the paddles have got to get better with the 24. With that said. Q56 over the Q24. Late night especially the 56 out performs the 24. 

38 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Funny - That was my exact response to New Flyer's original premise, regarding those aforementioned Queens routes that run out of Brooklyn depots.....

Q24 seldom ever comes when I want it; I prefer the Q56 anyway, so there's no love lost on that note.....

I don't have a real use for the Q54, and my experiences with the Q59 is in direct contrast with yours - it takes a millenia for it to arrive when I need it, and when I finally embark on it, I can take several naps before getting to WBP from QCM or Rego Park... It's to the point where in my last couple times taking it, I've gotten impatient & just got the hell off it at Graham for the B43 & take that to Empire/Brooklyn.... Taking a grand tour (walking) around KCH to get home is a pretty good walk I've gotten accustomed to... LOL!

Past experiences Q54 isn’t bad. I think I mentioned a few months ago when the Q58 was at GA that Fresh Pond boosted more buses on the Q54 and B52. Ironically both received service increases (someone correct me on this please). Low key FP also boosted service on the B26. 

Q59 to me has been a dub since Fresh Pond days. I feel that FP does a better job with its share of the Queens routes although yes there’s tons of bunching on the Q54 and Q58. However, as of today the 58 is back home at the Pond. Just wanna see in the near future how the route performs.  

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

2 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Q59 to me has been a dub since Fresh Pond days. I feel that FP does a better job with its share of the Queens routes although yes there’s tons of bunching on the Q54 and Q58. However, as of today the 58 is back home at the Pond. Just wanna see in the near future how the route performs.  

The Q59 takes me directly to Williamsburg (whenever I need to either go to/from Williamsburg or to/from the B46), but I generally avoid it. Catching it out of WBP was the worst because the B/Os would be instructed to deadhead to Union Avenue and start from there, while multiple people were at the stop at WBP waiting for the Q59. It came to the point where I actually had to start walking to Union Ave in order to catch the bus. Don't know if it's still done, and with what frequency. Then missing a bus along Grand Ave is painful because on multiple occasions, the next bus was still on layover at 63rd Drive. I usually go to the Q38, and then transfer to either the Q54 (If I can make it) or the (M) train. I don't even bother with the Rego Park bound Q59. 

11 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The Q59 takes me directly to Williamsburg (whenever I need to either go to/from Williamsburg or to/from the B46), but I generally avoid it. Catching it out of WBP was the worst because the B/Os would be instructed to deadhead to Union Avenue and start from there, while multiple people were at the stop at WBP waiting for the Q59. It came to the point where I actually had to start walking to Union Ave in order to catch the bus. Don't know if it's still done, and with what frequency.

Then missing a bus along Grand Ave is painful because on multiple occasions, the next bus was still on layover at 63rd Drive. I usually go to the Q38, and then transfer to either the Q54 (If I can make it) or the (M) train. I don't even bother with the Rego Park bound Q59. 

I tell you this. I don’t remember this too much when the Q59 was at the Pond. However, you are correct with this b/c a lot of GA ops do this and it’s unfair for the long waits at WBP.  

The bold portion: Accurate. 

image0.jpg

XN60's on the Bx39 look really nice. I also noticed a few more PM Trips have been added as put-ins from Parkchester. It's nice to see a slight increase in service.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

XN60's on the Bx39 look really nice. I also noticed a few more PM Trips have been added as put-ins from Parkchester. It's nice to see a slight increase in service.

They pulled the trigger on the 15/39 swap?

I thought that was an unconfirmed rumor. Guess I missed the confirmation...

11 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

for years, there have been discussions regarding the Q58, Q54, Q24 & Q56 being based out of queens depots or at least being split between Brooklyn & queens yards, much like the q32 split was between quill & casey stengel once upon a time. in part, Brooklyn Division yards like FP & ENY wouldn't have been as willing to part with their queens runs based on history & the outright refusal to give up something for nothing, so to speak. i hate to burst some people's fantasy bubble, but from information I've received over the years, is that ATU 1056 has no desire to assume responsibility for any queens runs provided by brooklyn depots. there's no overwhelming consensus of ATU membership wanting to perform brooklyn runs. for example, casey stengel did not beat management's door down after losing school trips on the Q58 from John Bowne.. operators i spoke to said good riddance. with that said, now that the slate is being "wiped clean", so to speak, whatever or wherever lines & runs are assigned, that's all management's call. unions won't be able to have any claim on any lines or runs once all the redesigns are completed, which is what management has wanted for decades: to be able to assign lines where they see most fit without union input or interference. which will lead to some unions getting more or less work, some depots getting more or less work, which will pave the way for certain depots & operators to become expendable. one thing always leads to another, and all this talk of "trimming the fat" and modified headways can only mean that there's no way there's a run-for-run replacement in these newly designed networks based on the current networks. 

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

And on top of that, every single EB bus still is a sardine can before it ever leaves Ridgewood.... What do you notice just about more of along Myrtle av east of Ridgewood on the weekends?

The M34 SBS period is a PITA.... Feel sorry for those Waterside folks; they have to deal with one of, if not the most unreliable SBS routes in the city....

17 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Does the M34A not operate frequently enough? I would understand one or two M34 trips there every hour but 90% of the hourly schedule is going to Waterside.

I was near 34th Street yesterday. I didn't bother with it. It's really not that frequent. If I can walk, I just do that. If it's coming I'll take it, but the waits are usually a good 20 minutes. Not worth it.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I was near 34th Street yesterday. I didn't bother with it. It's really not that frequent. If I can walk, I just do that. If it's coming I'll take it, but the waits are usually a good 20 minutes. Not worth it.

Nothing like being stuck between one avenue block for 5+ minutes... I flat out refuse.... Nope.

It is second nature for me to walk whenever I'm trying to get from one side of Manhattan to the other.... From the M8 on up to the M31/57, I don't ever consider taking any of those shits if I actually need to get somewhere....

Just now, B35 via Church said:

Nothing like being stuck between one avenue block for 5+ minutes... I flat out refuse.... Nope.

It is second nature for me to walk whenever I'm trying to get from one side of Manhattan to the other.... From the M8 on up to the M31/57, I don't ever consider taking any of those shits if I actually need to get somewhere....

What I will do is put on BusTime and see if a bus is coming.  On 57th Street, I can usually see one coming west of 8th Avenue, so if I'm waiting on 7th, I'll wait if I'm not in a hurry, but if I'm coming from say 9th and 57th, I'll just walk it out most of the time and peak periods, forget it.  

19 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I’ve noticed that people end up walking or taking other routes. Just last week me and a lady were waiting at Myrtle Ave/ Cypress Hills Street for a bus going towards Ridgewood. The lady had asked me if I knew if the bus was coming, so I checked bus time and found that there was no Q55 heading towards Ridgewood. There was a Richmond Hills bound bus at Woodhaven Blvd but it would have taken a while for it to head back down since they would take their break. So the lady had told me she needed the (L) or (M) trains, so I told her she could take the B13 at 62nd st to Fresh Pond Road for the (M). The B13 came seconds after she got to the bus stop and I continued walking down to Myrtle Wyckoff just for the sake of having some exercise. By the time I got to Myrtle Wyckoff I checked bus time and the Q55 was beginning it’s route at Myrtle and Hillside Ave.

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Easily happens if you take the M31 or M57. I regret taking the M57 last week, because I could have easily out walked it if I wasn’t so lazy. 

19 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

I actually disagree.

I remember a time when the Q56, was worst. To my surprise the last few times I’ve taken it, I really didn’t have much issues with it. About 5 or 6 years ago when I used to take it more often I just remember the buses being missing from that route all the time. There would be lots of people at Jamaica Ave and Parsons Blvd waiting forever for the Q56 to show.

49416375628_0df87674d1_c.jpg

Its been a bit quiet for wraps. However, new wrap alert for Ulmer Park (BK) & Manhattan Division. UP has had them for about 2 weeks. First seeing this on a MQ bus today and since Manhattan has tons of foot traffic than Brooklyn.  

You won’t see these wraps unless you are in Ulmer Park territory. FB, JG and FP have taken down most of their wraps. The most recent ad campaigns have ended. 

Edited by Future ENY OP
  • LMAO! 1

6 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

49416375628_0df87674d1_c.jpg

Its been a bit quiet for wraps. However, new wrap alert for Ulmer Park (BK) & Manhattan Division. UP has had them for about 2 weeks. First seeing this on a MQ bus today and since Manhattan has tons of foot traffic than Brooklyn.  

You won’t see these wraps unless you are in Ulmer Park territory. FB, JG and FP have taken down most of their wraps. The most recent ad campaigns have ended. 

At least they didn't try this with the old design...

• LMAO! 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, OrionVIIonM79 said:

Q58 is running from Fresh Pond again

I’m pretty sure most of us are aware....

• LMAO! 1

24 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Was the Q32 split with MJQ during the past? 

It was split until the 2010 cuts.

The Bx12SBS has to be the most poorly dispatched line in the whole entire bus network. 6 buses back to back followed by a 33 minute gap in service??