BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Does anyone know why College Point drivers love to take out the old 2XXX express buses? I’ve noticed multiple drivers prefer to take these buses on their trips every day. I’ve had the same guy for two picks in a row and he does both my morning and even express trip and he ALWAYS takes an old bus. 

Maybe those 2002 MCIs still run good, maybe even better than some of the CAT13 powered MCI.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The Bx12SBS has to be the most poorly dispatched line in the whole entire bus network. 6 buses back to back followed by a 33 minute gap in service??

I believe it.

Ridership is very high, Pelham Pkwy is wrapping up a construction project, and Fordham is Fordham.

If I'm not going to the very ends of the route in Inwood or Bay Plaza, I just get on whatever shows up first. A great local B/O can actually keep pace with a slammed SBS, and if said SBS has a slow B/O the local can actually run faster.

16 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Sometimes bunching is due to slow B/Os (in general). I've seen it on a daily basis at times.

Yeah thats what happens when they train you to take as long as you need to and to forget about staying on time. And with drivers getting paid to run late and do everything at their pace, they take advantage. 

Most drivers aren't the same anymore, vision zero and all, put a cap on most drivers capabilities. There's still a few "operators" that have my respect, most just drive a bus. 

1 hour ago, Jova42R said:

I was just looking on (MTA) BusTime and I came across this: http://bt.mta.info/#M191, the M191 route. Does anyone know what this is?

Looks like a shuttle for elevator replacement.

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Yeah thats what happens when they train you to take as long as you need to and to forget about staying on time. And with drivers getting paid to run late and do everything at their pace, they take advantage. 

Most drivers aren't the same anymore, vision zero and all, put a cap on most drivers capabilities. There's still a few "operators" that have my respect, most just drive a bus. 

I hope morale is part of these bus redesigns.

6 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Sometimes bunching is due to slow B/Os (in general). I've seen it on a daily basis at times.

All you need is a B/O doing the legal speed limit of 25, another one doing 20, and a third B/O doing the rulebook speed limit of 15. Give those three an hour and those three alone will bring an entire busy bus route to its knees *on a good day*, and that’s without factoring in traffic.

You know what’s funny about the SBS B/O’s? Whenever there’s a surge in fare inspections/enforcement, they ALL end up hauling ass, and even the slowest of the slow B/O’s will go the full 25mph lmao

4 hours ago, paulrivera said:

All you need is a B/O doing the legal speed limit of 25, another one doing 20, and a third B/O doing the rulebook speed limit of 15. Give those three an hour and those three alone will bring an entire busy bus route to its knees *on a good day*, and that’s without factoring in traffic.

You know what’s funny about the SBS B/O’s? Whenever there’s a surge in fare inspections/enforcement, they ALL end up hauling ass, and even the slowest of the slow B/O’s will go the full 25mph lmao

That is the shit that pisses me off. The should not be a rule, and people on here wonder why service is the way it is. Some people on here defend the MTA in every way but refuse to bring up the flaws. MTA be like "here's for faster bus service" they do everything but change that damnn rule. Change that damnn rule and service would be better. If one driver can haul safely then they all should be able to haul safely or try to. 

People complain about automated trains taking people's job, well one thing it does bring is CONSISTENCY with each train. When you have humans you can have a T/O who follows the speed limit, and another T/O who feels the train shake down the train and wants to slow down to 10mph under. I like consistency, the key to life is consistency (STAYING TO SCHEDULE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE is a start). 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Staten Island bus service is f**kED this morning holy shit this is the worst its been in YEARS. The bridge is closed and all Brooklyn buses are grid locked, all ferry buses that cross the expressway are bunched. Just an absolute MESS.

5AM accident on the upper level of the VNB. 2 trailers. From the damage i saw via news reports speed may be the culprit. All Brooklyn lanes closed. Forcing all traffic to the lower level and that has its issues. 

4 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

.....and people on here wonder why service is the way it is. Some people on here defend the MTA in every way but refuse to bring up the flaws. MTA be like "here's for faster bus service" they do everything but change that damnn rule. Change that damnn rule and service would be better. If one driver can haul safely then they all should be able to haul safely or try to.

Lol.... To be fair though, some drivers generally drive more tentatively or aggressively than others (for whatever their reasons) regardless.... Sometimes, how you drive is a reflection of your personality..... To that initial point though (and not just regarding the MTA), yeah, kool-aid drinkers & fake progressives need to go on somewhere - the nerve that commuters have standards that they'd like the MTA to hold themselves to....

Edited by B35 via Church

23 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Lol.... To be fair though, some drivers generally drive more tentatively or aggressively than others (for whatever their reasons) regardless.... Sometimes, how you drive is a reflection of your personality.....

To that initial point though (and not just regarding the MTA), yeah, kool-aid drinkers & fake progressives need to go on somewhere - the nerve that commuters have standards that they'd like the MTA to hold themselves to....

Bold statement: Accurate. 
I’ve seen some crazy accidents in my lifetime. Aggressive driving will not get you anywhere. Although i may have my stance on vision zero at the end of the day it’s all about reality. When you see or witness a major accident it changes your thought about driving and how you gotta drive for others and not just only for yourself. 

If you are a commuter depending on (MTA) bus service and there is a severe disruption something to the effect of Staten Island or imagine being stuck on the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel you just gonna have to sit and wait. 

11 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

What in the Fu-
I need my coffee.

Same thing I said. One thing is for sure. Thanks for nothing Andrew Cuomo. I really want to hear this 1PM press conference. 

Lets this resignation show that the next person in line must deal with Cuomo essentially being a (YES) man. 

To be honest, Andy Byford was the best choice for the MTA. When it comes to modernization, Byford had a lot of ideas to improve subways and buses, such as the Fast Forward plan. Also, when he was in charge, subway delays went down, and it was much better. However, thanks to Andrew Cuomo, I think the MTA may fail at some point, however I could be wrong. Cuomo shouldn't go after Byford just because of his spectacular job. Overall, Byford was a great choice for the MTA, and would've begun a renaissance for the system. 

4 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I was surprised at this too.

Listen, at this moment I still can't cope with myself. His resignation is like if a Family Member had passed away. This guy turned around the system, made a big blueprint for success within 100 days of his leadership, and has stabilized the system and made it a success in the 2 years as NYCT President, and I thank him so much for his service which will be missed.

Edited by WestFarms36

Word is that Byford stormed out of a closed door board meeting, went back into the room after the meeting was over and handed in his resignation letter.

Clearly sounds like the level of his frustration reached a tipping point.

Edited by Cait Sith