BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

6 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Word is that Byford stormed out of a closed door board meeting, went back into the room after the meeting was over and handed in his resignation letter.

Clearly sounds like the level of his frustration reached a tipping point.

So they had another  meeting after today's public board meeting?  Sound's like he had a draft on standby.

Edited by N6 Limited

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Listen, at this moment I still can't cope with myself. His resignation is like if a Family Member had passed away. This guy turned around the system, made a big blueprint for success within 100 days of his leadership, and has stabilized the system and made it a success in the 2 years as NYCT President, and I thank him so much for his service which will be missed.

You're so dramatic lol. 

This board loves them some Andy Bryford, I knew posters here would take it hard that he quit LMAO. Yes he was great at his job, but damn🤣

Edited by trainfan22

2 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Im pretty sure our politicians had everything to do with this. They want to the MTA to be incompetent so they can use it for political leverage.  

Oh please. Listen, was he more customer focused than previous big wigs? No question.  Was he knowledgeable? Sure.  However, to paint him as a messiah is a bit over the top. I'm not of the belief that he would've stayed that much longer even if Cuomo wasn't around.  He may have listened more than others, but that doesn't make everything ok. We are facing fare hikes every two years now with no end in sight. My bus service was the pits under his leadership until I became sick of the lip service and started my own advocacy group.  He made it sound like bus ridership tanked just because to justify proposed service cuts, which I found disgusting. No, it was tanking because of POOR service, and ongoing cuts to provide the basics, like providing the service that's on the schedule.  The agency continues to hemorrhage funds via fare beating with no solution in sight, and it looks as if that situation will only worsen, so my response to him resigning is mixed.

2 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

You're so dramatic lol. 

This board loves Bryford, I knew posters here would take it hard that he quit LMAO. Yes he was great at his job, but damn🤣

Over the top... It's nauseating.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

9 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Oh please. Listen, was he more customer focused than previous big wigs? No question.  Was he knowledgeable? Sure.  However, to paint him as a messiah is a bit over the top. I'm not of the belief that he would've stayed that much longer even if Cuomo wasn't around.  He may have listened more than others, but that doesn't make everything ok. We are facing fare hikes every two years now with no end in sight. My bus service was the pits under his leadership until I became sick of the lip service and started my own advocacy group.  He made it sound like bus ridership tanked just because to justify proposed service cuts, which I found disgusting. No, it was tanking because of POOR service, and ongoing cuts to provide the basics, like providing the service that's on the schedule.  The agency continues to hemorrhage funds via fare beating with no solution in sight, and it looks as if that situation will only worsen, so my response to him resigning is mixed.

The fact his approach to things were more about talking to customers more than “we’ll look into” is what made him like able. Service cuts is due to lost revenue, you can’t keep burning money when no one is paying. I don’t get this idea of expecting more when the MTA is basically losing money from which ever ends there are. 

22 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Oh please. Listen, was he more customer focused than previous big wigs? No question.  Was he knowledgeable? Sure.  However, to paint him as a messiah is a bit over the top. I'm not of the belief that he would've stayed that much longer even if Cuomo wasn't around.  He may have listened more than others, but that doesn't make everything ok. We are facing fare hikes every two years now with no end in sight. My bus service was the pits under his leadership until I became sick of the lip service and started my own advocacy group.  He made it sound like bus ridership tanked just because to justify proposed service cuts, which I found disgusting. No it was tanking because of POOR service, and ongoing cuts to provide the basics, like providing the service that's on the schedule.  The agency continues to hemorrhage funds via fare beating with no solution in sight, and it looks as if that situation will only worsen, so my response to him resigning is mixed.

I'm rather indifferent to his resignation, to be perfectly honest... You can come in with all the momentum, potential, and promise in the world, but the fact of the matter is, the sky was never going to be the limit for him here in NYC, having to contend with Cuomo & friends when it comes to this agency..... In an ideal world, I would've liked to have seen what he would've done with an unlimited warchest, unimpeded though.... I don't think anyone's doubting the guy's credentials & knowledge...

Anyone from this point that wants to sit here & believe that the MTA seriously wants to do right by its commuters, are utter fools..... If what @CaitSith just stated is true (regarding having drove the damn guy to resigning) then that's all you need to know about what we have, are, and will continue to deal with, as commuters..... This is (yet another) wake up call for those folks.....

28 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

So they had another  meeting after today's public board meeting?  Sound's like he had a draft on standby.

I was thinking the exact same thing.... Probably proposed something $0.01 over budget <_<

Edited by B35 via Church

6 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

The fact his approach to things were more about talking to customers more than “we’ll look into” is what made him like able. Service cuts is due to lost revenue, you can’t keep burning money when no one is paying. I don’t get this idea of expecting more when the MTA is basically losing money from which ever ends there are. 

They are losing money because they haven't had a plan to address the rampant fare beating. First off, they didn't even know how much money they were losing. I run a department and if my department was losing money, the first thing I would be examining was why and how much.  You can't even address anything until you deal with that first, and who do you think is at least partially responsible for that?  Mr. Byford and his team, so this idea that they were losing money and he's completely exempt of any blame is a joke. He's the guy at the top and while he may have Cuomo to answer to, Cuomo's response made it clear that the bleeding needed to be stopped of losing revenue. My issue is the response was a year too late. There are other issues I take with Byford and yes with Byford, not with Cuomo.  Blaming Cuomo for everything is a joke. The (MTA) received the largest capital plan recently EVER of $52.5 billion dollars, with billions more set to arrive via congestion pricing, so money had been approved and more was coming.

2 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm rather indifferent to his resignation, to be perfectly honest... You can come in with all the momentum, potential, and promise in the world, but the fact of the matter is, the sky was never going to be the limit for him here in NYC, having to contend with Cuomo & friends when it comes to this agency..... In an ideal world, I would've liked to have seen what he would've done with an unlimited warchest, unimpeded though....

Anyone from this point that wants to sit here & believe that the MTA seriously wants to do right by its commuters, are utter fools..... If what @CaitSith just stated is true (regarding having drove the damn guy to resigning) then that's all you need to know about what we have, are, and will continue to deal with..... This is (yet another) wake up call for those folks.....

I was thinking the exact same thing.... Probably proposed something $0.01 over budget <_<

Yeah well my issue is the (MTA) has had financial woes for years. I don't understand why all of a sudden anything would be different with Byford on the scene. It's not as if Prendergast was so incompetent. Suddenly he arrives, and oh we must provide more funding for the (MTA) and oh Cuomo is soooo terrible. It's like everyone was trying to find excuses to give him a pass. Well sorry I'm not.  Excluding Staten Island, he has been responsible for overseeing these redesigns, and all of them call for massive service cuts, so he doesn't get a pass from me because he's a likeable guy. Doing everything with a smile doesn't make the situation better.

28 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

You're so dramatic lol. 

This board loves them some Andy Bryford, I knew posters here would take it hard that he quit LMAO. Yes he was great at his job, but damn🤣

28 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Over the top... It's nauseating.

This is serious guys, We need a Byford version of "Don't cry for me Argentina New York City" :P

14 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

That's something I've noticed. The MTA is bleeding money, but "they shouldn't focus on fare beating", and "the MTA is not in the business of profit, and they should not be concerned with profit, they should increase all services". 

While they are not a private business they should at least try to increase farebox recovery and lower operating subsidy as much as possible. The more profitable routes are the less at the mercy of Albany and other funding sources they are.

Edited by N6 Limited

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah well my issue is the (MTA) has had financial woes for years. I don't understand why all of a sudden anything would be different with Byford on the scene. It's not as if Prendergast was so incompetent. Suddenly he arrives, and oh we must provide more funding for the (MTA) and oh Cuomo is soooo terrible. It's like everyone was trying to find excuses to give him a pass. Well sorry I'm not.  Excluding Staten Island, he has been responsible for overseeing these redesigns, and all of them call for massive service cuts, so he doesn't get a pass from me because he's a likeable guy. Doing everything with a smile doesn't make the situation better.

Like I said, I'm indifferent to his resignation.... You don't bite the hand that feeds you; it is what it is... I don't exalt any of these figureheads, so you're preaching to the choir as far as I'm concerned.....

44 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

You're being way too hopeful with the redesigns lol. The meeting had nothing to do with the redesigns(he's also not the head of the Queens redesign), that's all I know.

Edited by Cait Sith

13 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They are losing money because they haven't had a plan to address the rampant fare beating. First off, they didn't even know how much money they were losing. I run a department and if my department was losing money, the first thing I would be examining was why and how much.  You can't even address anything until you deal with that first, and who do you think is at least partially responsible for that?  Mr. Byford and his team, so this idea that they were losing money and he's completely exempt of any blame is a joke. He's the guy at the top and while he may have Cuomo to answer to, Cuomo's response made it clear that the bleeding needed to be stopped of losing revenue. My issue is the response was a year too late. There are other issues I take with Byford and yes with Byford, not with Cuomo.  Blaming Cuomo for everything is a joke. The (MTA) received the largest capital plan recently EVER of $52.5 billion dollars, with billions more set to arrive via congestion pricing, so money had been approved and more was coming.

Yes they're losing money, and yes it to fare beating, guess what? Its been going on for the longest time and things were only put in place recently to stop it. Its not like it was 5 years to get it done, they literally just started having cops on the bus since last year. So its not even fare to even put all the blame on him when others had the opportunity to help stop fare beating. Remember 2010? I was in high school and student metrocards were on the chopping block so I mean its not like you can blame him for a problem thats been going on. He actually tried to stop it and was public about it. 

Its not even comparable to your department to the MTA. As I said before its run by corrupt politicians and many other people who know the problems. Why do you think Byford was able to have an okay time at other agencies around the world but yet managed to storm out of ours? We have a very, very, very corrupt agency, from the corrupt workers, the union bosses, contractors, lawyers, and you name it. The MTA is a cash cow for them and they'll milk it until it will run dry. 

Blaming Cuomo isn't a joke, its the truth, the butt heads and this was the result. The transit system has been crap for years and it took social media and the news to get him to care, hell, even our crappy mayor didn't give a crap about our buses until now. The MTA is being held by its dingies and Byford fought to make things change. 

9 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Yes they're losing money, and yes it to fare beating, guess what? Its been going on for the longest time and things were only put in place recently to stop it. Its not like it was 5 years to get it done, they literally just started having cops on the bus since last year. So its not even fare to even put all the blame on him when others had the opportunity to help stop fare beating. Remember 2010? I was in high school and student metrocards were on the chopping block so I mean its not like you can blame him for a problem thats been going on. He actually tried to stop it and was public about it. 

Its not even comparable to your department to the MTA. As I said before its run by corrupt politicians and many other people who know the problems. Why do you think Byford was able to have an okay time at other agencies around the world but yet managed to storm out of ours? We have a very, very, very corrupt agency, from the corrupt workers, the union bosses, contractors, lawyers, and you name it. The MTA is a cash cow for them and they'll milk it until it will run dry. 

Blaming Cuomo isn't a joke, its the truth, the butt heads and this was the result. The transit system has been crap for years and it took social media and the news to get him to care, hell, even our crappy mayor didn't give a crap about our buses until now. The MTA is being held by its dingies and Byford fought to make things change. 

1. What does losing student Metrocards have to do with fare beating? 

2. When you are losing hundreds of millions of dollars annually and you're not even sure how much, saying that it's been going on for the longest time doesn't make it ok because it's been happening. I don't think you're old enough to even understand the big picture and how ridiculous the whole thing is. The situation is comparable to ANY place where you are running something where money is involved.  Doesn't matter how big it is.  You can't address anything if you don't even know how much money you are losing. That's the point, and yes, Byford is the one that was hired to address such issues with his team.

12 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

The (MTA) reorganization plan took the cake. In his initial resignation letter around October or November, it did state one of the reasons was that he'd lose oversight of Fast Forward and many of the construction projects he had planned, let alone he was CONVINCED to stay under the agreement that Byford would retain oversight and control of Fast Forward. Now let's not get started with the lack of city representation on the Board. Notice how rules were changed which caused Moerdler, Weisbrod, and another one which I don't remember by name, to leave the board. Each Board Member has to get confirmed through the legislature which is heavily Establishment Democrats (Cuomo's one too) and those City seats that have to be filled are MIA. Polly Trottenberg left because of Cuomo's corruption by literally stripping the board even further of its rights, and making the Board look and think like Cuomo himself. It shows how inept, corrupt and toxic that the work environment at the (MTA) is and honestly this is not something that would get fixed quickly. It's unknown what the future is at this agency...

Edited by WestFarms36

4 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

The (MTA) reorganization plan took the cake. In his initial resignation letter around October or November, it did state one of the reasons was that he'd lose oversight of Fast Forward and many of the construction projects he had planned, let alone he was CONVINCED to stay under the agreement that Byford would retain oversight and control of Fast Forward. Now let's not get started with the lack of city representation on the Board. Notice how rules were changed which caused Moerdler, Weisbrod, and another one which I don't remember by name, to leave the board. Each Board Member has to get confirmed through the legislature which is heavily Establishment Democrats (Cuomo's one too) and those City seats that have to be filled are MIA. Polly Trottenberg left because of Cuomo's corruption by literally stripping the board even further of its rights, and making the Board look and think like Cuomo himself.

You're reaching now. Charles Moerdler left because his term finished.  

Source: https://riverdalepress.com/stories/cuomos-mta-revamp-nudges-moerdler-off-transit-board,68630?

Yet the fact Moerdler’s time on the MTA board is done really shouldn’t come as earth-shattering news, he said. A holdover from Paterson, Moerdler’s tenure already was done a couple years ago. He was appointed in 2010 to serve through 2016. But he was asked that year to continue until 2017 as a one-year holdover, and again in 2017, for one more year.

What Cuomo did any governor would do, which is appoint people that HE wants on the board. No different than anyone else. 

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You're reaching now. Charles Moerdler left because his term finished.  

I'm not reaching. Under the reorganization there was a clause which stated that Board Members would be replaced once the term of the Elected Official who recommended them to serve on the Board ended. So basically once DeBlasio's term is over, the people that he appointed to the MTA Board will leave as well and it will be up to the next mayor to recommend people to serve in the Board. It was also part of the law passed by the legislature in April in order to approve congestion pricing.

Edited by WestFarms36

1 minute ago, WestFarms36 said:

I'm not reaching. Under the reorganization there was a clause which stated that Board Members would be replaced once the term of the Elected Official who recommended them to serve on the Board ended. So basically once DeBlasio's term is over, the people that he appointed to the MTA Board will leave as well and it will be up to the next mayor to recommend people to serve in the Board. It was also part of the law passed by the legislature in April in order to approve congestion pricing.

You are reaching because you made it sound like Cuomo got rid of Moerdler because of some vendetta. Moedler's term was up for over a year and he was asked to stay on not once but TWICE under Cuomo, so that is a big reach. His term was up in 2016. He stayed on for an extra two years until his replacement was found.  Terms are four years, so he was on the board two years after his term expired.

16 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Notice how rules were changed which caused Moerdler, Weisbrod, and another one which I don't remember by name, to leave the board.

You talkin about that Vanterpool chick, or that other one, Trottenberg?

Edited by B35 via Church

37 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

29 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Like I said, I'm indifferent to his resignation.... You don't bite the hand that feeds you; it is what it is... I don't exalt any of these figureheads, so you're preaching to the choir as far as I'm concerned.....

There are noticeable improvements in the system. HE made the initiative to increase subway speeds, reduce delays, to check system timers and signals, to not punish T/Os for tripping arms or over running stations, etc.

13 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

There are noticeable improvements in the system. HE made the initiative to increase subway speeds, reduce delays, to check system timers and signals, to not punish T/Os for tripping arms or over running stations, etc.

He was also fighting an uphill battle he was never going to win.....

4 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

alright, cool....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

He was also fighting an uphill battle he was never going to win.....

Yeah it's true. Especially since he was an Agency President, he always had people above his shoulder, besides Cuomo himself trying to limit his abilities, and it would never be possible for Byford to make all problems go away.

48 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

1. What does losing student Metrocards have to do with fare beating? 

2. When you are losing hundreds of millions of dollars annually and you're not even sure how much, saying that it's been going on for the longest time doesn't make it ok because it's been happening. I don't think you're old enough to even understand the big picture and how ridiculous the whole thing is. The situation is comparable to ANY place where you are running something where money is involved.  Doesn't matter how big it is.  You can't address anything if you don't even know how much money you are losing. That's the point, and yes, Byford is the one that was hired to address such issues with his team.

I was saying that in relation to the budget cuts back in 2010. 

I'm not saying losing millions is okay, what I am saying is that this has been going on and blaming someone who just got on board isn't fair when you had people such as the governor who could have done something as well. Even if they didn't know how much they were losing they could still see things weren't breaking even. Byford came along at the end and stopping years upon years of revenue loss wasn't going to be an overnight thing. 

5 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I was saying that in relation to the budget cuts back in 2010. 

I'm not saying losing millions is okay, what I am saying is that this has been going on and blaming someone who just got on board isn't fair when you had people such as the governor who could have done something as well. Even if they didn't know how much they were losing they could still see things weren't breaking even. Byford came along at the end and stopping years upon years of revenue loss wasn't going to be an overnight thing. 

Talking about it for a year certainly wasn't doing anything either though. Any private company doing that would've been in serious trouble.