BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Byford gone, the Queens Bus Redesign lacking in many areas, as well as a tendency for decriminalization of certain activities by some of the DA's, is it possible that the gray market shuttle vans (and maybe the dollar cabs) will return to areas of Queens that haven't seen them in years?

I'm thinking of the beat-up Chevy's that used to ply the Q65A [Q64] on Jewel Ave. and Kissena Blvd picking up passengers. This was before the metrocard, but still, when one has to get somewhere w/o delay, two dollars is not much to ask....just look at the vans in Hudson County [I know - they have their issues, but they're authorized to have stands at the Port Authority-owned terminals in NYC (PABT Gate 51) and Jersey City (PATH JSQ)].

Who knows, I see many buses with MASS plates parked near Cunningham Park, Kissena Park by the LIE, etc - maybe those will become ad hoc express buses if the service levels (headways) aren't maintained at under 10 min during the rush hour. People will usually look to find ways to adapt.

On 1/22/2020 at 7:59 PM, Jova42R said:

I was just looking on (MTA) BusTime and I came across this: http://bt.mta.info/#M191, the M191 route. Does anyone know what this is?

Not sure if this has been answered yet. But this is the supplement train shuttle for the 1 train between 181-191. Elevators at 191 st nicholas are being worked on

6 minutes ago, Statty said:

Not sure if this has been answered yet. But this is the supplement train shuttle for the 1 train between 181-191. Elevators at 191 st nicholas are being worked on

That’s for the A. The elevators at 181 St are being worked on. The 191 St replacement project starts in February.

1 hour ago, Statty said:

1 hour ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

That’s for the A. The elevators at 181 St are being worked on. The 191 St replacement project starts in February.

https://new.mta.info/system_modernization/uptownelevators/191st1

All four elevators in the 191 St 1 station will be replaced. Work begins on Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 12:01 AM, and will is scheduled for completion in February 2021. During this time, the St. Nicholas Av/191 St elevator ENTRANCE/EXIT will be temporarily closed. The rest of the station will remain open, and 1 service will continue in both directions.

While elevator work is underway, access to the 191 St 1 station will be available via the tunnel at 190 St/Broadway. Regular M3 bus service, and the free M191 shuttle bus, can help you make your connections during this time.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So are the redesigns now cancelled?

No, I think Brooklyn Borough President is driving everyone nuts by not putting restrictions on automobiles on his street. Everyone is resigning in the MTA because of Eric Adams.

City is trying to stop double parking, but the Boro President isn't doing anything. Upon closer inspection, some of the motorcades have TLC Liscense Plate.s

Edited by NY1635

10 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

No, I think Brooklyn Borough President is driving everyone nuts by not putting restrictions on automobiles on his street. Everyone is resigning in the MTA because of Eric Adams.

City is trying to stop double parking, but the Boro President isn't doing anything. Upon closer inspection, some of the motorcades have TLC Liscense Plate.s

fc4.jpg

1 hour ago, NY1635 said:

The site's not a toilet.

On 1/22/2020 at 11:03 PM, paulrivera said:

All you need is a B/O doing the legal speed limit of 25, another one doing 20, and a third B/O doing the rulebook speed limit of 15. Give those three an hour and those three alone will bring an entire busy bus route to its knees *on a good day*, and that’s without factoring in traffic.

You know what’s funny about the SBS B/O’s? Whenever there’s a surge in fare inspections/enforcement, they ALL end up hauling ass, and even the slowest of the slow B/O’s will go the full 25mph lmao

On 1/23/2020 at 3:20 AM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

That is the shit that pisses me off. The should not be a rule, and people on here wonder why service is the way it is. Some people on here defend the MTA in every way but refuse to bring up the flaws. MTA be like "here's for faster bus service" they do everything but change that damnn rule. Change that damnn rule and service would be better. If one driver can haul safely then they all should be able to haul safely or try to. 

People complain about automated trains taking people's job, well one thing it does bring is CONSISTENCY with each train. When you have humans you can have a T/O who follows the speed limit, and another T/O who feels the train shake down the train and wants to slow down to 10mph under. I like consistency, the key to life is consistency (STAYING TO SCHEDULE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE is a start). 

Honestly, ever since Vision Zero has been implemented, I've been skeptical of any plan to improve bus service.  I mean, how much can you improve when a bus driver is stuck navigating through an archipelago of pedestrian plazas, built-in bike lanes, deliberately mistimed signals, and arteries like the Grand Concourse being reduced to 25 mph?

5 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Honestly, ever since Vision Zero has been implemented, I've been skeptical of any plan to improve bus service.  I mean, how much can you improve when a bus driver is stuck navigating through an archipelago of pedestrian plazas, built-in bike lanes, deliberately mistimed signals, and arteries like the Grand Concourse being reduced to 25 mph?

The MTA's been f***ing over bus riders long before Vision Zero, but I don't necessarily disagree with the premise though.... Apparently, I'm supposed to believe that the "answer" to Vision Zero is more bus lanes throughout the city.... Laughable... More bus lanes should've been implemented well before the city went apeshit in painting bike lanes throughout the city; primarily catering to tourists & transients over quote-unquote native NY-ers....

When congestion pricing hits, I'm out of here; not going to be forced into cramming onto subways that are around, at, or over 100% capacity, not going to be forced into taking buses that are going but so fast, having to trek further to catch them, that are arriving less & less frequently, it's only but so much damn walking I'm going to do, and for damn sure I'm not going to willingly take ye olde shafte upt de a$$ by being charged for driving to a part of the city - from within the city.....

NYC - The big apple..... rotten to the core.... Quoth the raven....

...never more.

On 12/27/2019 at 10:52 PM, paulrivera said:

So if the B82 SBS stops behind the turnstiles... Wouldn’t you have to not only swipe your card at the turnstile, but also dip your card at the SBS machine?

Or would everyone that boards at that stop and gets on the SBS have to eat a fine upon being stopped by the popo for not having a receipt?

If you swipe your metrocard at the turnstiles, the MTA will give you a free-transfer on your metrocard. Please don't hesitate. 

On 1/23/2020 at 2:03 AM, paulrivera said:

All you need is a B/O doing the legal speed limit of 25, another one doing 20, and a third B/O doing the rulebook speed limit of 15. Give those three an hour and those three alone will bring an entire busy bus route to its knees *on a good day*, and that’s without factoring in traffic.

You know what’s funny about the SBS B/O’s? Whenever there’s a surge in fare inspections/enforcement, they ALL end up hauling ass, and even the slowest of the slow B/O’s will go the full 25mph lmao

If they want B/O's going 15mph then they're going to continue to bleed riders. I do NOT want to be on a bus going 15mph, that's bike speed. 25MPH is slow enough!

11 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

I've said this before, that's when speeds and ridership really started to drop, coincidence? I think not.

5 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

263 is running around with a Bronx map inside and West Farms stickers even though its been at Gleason for months.

Yep, I saw it this past week on the B61. 350 also has WF decals (unless they recently changed it).

Do you happen to recall if 263 has on-board digital information screens installed?