Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

4 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

The (MTA) reorganization plan took the cake. In his initial resignation letter around October or November, it did state one of the reasons was that he'd lose oversight of Fast Forward and many of the construction projects he had planned, let alone he was CONVINCED to stay under the agreement that Byford would retain oversight and control of Fast Forward. Now let's not get started with the lack of city representation on the Board. Notice how rules were changed which caused Moerdler, Weisbrod, and another one which I don't remember by name, to leave the board. Each Board Member has to get confirmed through the legislature which is heavily Establishment Democrats (Cuomo's one too) and those City seats that have to be filled are MIA. Polly Trottenberg left because of Cuomo's corruption by literally stripping the board even further of its rights, and making the Board look and think like Cuomo himself.

You're reaching now. Charles Moerdler left because his term finished.  

Source: https://riverdalepress.com/stories/cuomos-mta-revamp-nudges-moerdler-off-transit-board,68630?

Yet the fact Moerdler’s time on the MTA board is done really shouldn’t come as earth-shattering news, he said. A holdover from Paterson, Moerdler’s tenure already was done a couple years ago. He was appointed in 2010 to serve through 2016. But he was asked that year to continue until 2017 as a one-year holdover, and again in 2017, for one more year.

What Cuomo did any governor would do, which is appoint people that HE wants on the board. No different than anyone else. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You're reaching now. Charles Moerdler left because his term finished.  

I'm not reaching. Under the reorganization there was a clause which stated that Board Members would be replaced once the term of the Elected Official who recommended them to serve on the Board ended. So basically once DeBlasio's term is over, the people that he appointed to the MTA Board will leave as well and it will be up to the next mayor to recommend people to serve in the Board. It was also part of the law passed by the legislature in April in order to approve congestion pricing.

Edited by WestFarms36

1 minute ago, WestFarms36 said:

I'm not reaching. Under the reorganization there was a clause which stated that Board Members would be replaced once the term of the Elected Official who recommended them to serve on the Board ended. So basically once DeBlasio's term is over, the people that he appointed to the MTA Board will leave as well and it will be up to the next mayor to recommend people to serve in the Board. It was also part of the law passed by the legislature in April in order to approve congestion pricing.

You are reaching because you made it sound like Cuomo got rid of Moerdler because of some vendetta. Moedler's term was up for over a year and he was asked to stay on not once but TWICE under Cuomo, so that is a big reach. His term was up in 2016. He stayed on for an extra two years until his replacement was found.  Terms are four years, so he was on the board two years after his term expired.

16 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Notice how rules were changed which caused Moerdler, Weisbrod, and another one which I don't remember by name, to leave the board.

You talkin about that Vanterpool chick, or that other one, Trottenberg?

Edited by B35 via Church

37 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah well my issue is the (MTA) has had financial woes for years. I don't understand why all of a sudden anything would be different with Byford on the scene. It's not as if Prendergast was so incompetent. Suddenly he arrives, and oh we must provide more funding for the (MTA) and oh Cuomo is soooo terrible. It's like everyone was trying to find excuses to give him a pass. Well sorry I'm not.  Excluding Staten Island, he has been responsible for overseeing these redesigns, and all of them call for massive service cuts, so he doesn't get a pass from me because he's a likeable guy. Doing everything with a smile doesn't make the situation better.

29 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Like I said, I'm indifferent to his resignation.... You don't bite the hand that feeds you; it is what it is... I don't exalt any of these figureheads, so you're preaching to the choir as far as I'm concerned.....

There are noticeable improvements in the system. HE made the initiative to increase subway speeds, reduce delays, to check system timers and signals, to not punish T/Os for tripping arms or over running stations, etc.

13 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

There are noticeable improvements in the system. HE made the initiative to increase subway speeds, reduce delays, to check system timers and signals, to not punish T/Os for tripping arms or over running stations, etc.

He was also fighting an uphill battle he was never going to win.....

4 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

alright, cool....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

He was also fighting an uphill battle he was never going to win.....

Yeah it's true. Especially since he was an Agency President, he always had people above his shoulder, besides Cuomo himself trying to limit his abilities, and it would never be possible for Byford to make all problems go away.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

1. What does losing student Metrocards have to do with fare beating? 

2. When you are losing hundreds of millions of dollars annually and you're not even sure how much, saying that it's been going on for the longest time doesn't make it ok because it's been happening. I don't think you're old enough to even understand the big picture and how ridiculous the whole thing is. The situation is comparable to ANY place where you are running something where money is involved.  Doesn't matter how big it is.  You can't address anything if you don't even know how much money you are losing. That's the point, and yes, Byford is the one that was hired to address such issues with his team.

I was saying that in relation to the budget cuts back in 2010. 

I'm not saying losing millions is okay, what I am saying is that this has been going on and blaming someone who just got on board isn't fair when you had people such as the governor who could have done something as well. Even if they didn't know how much they were losing they could still see things weren't breaking even. Byford came along at the end and stopping years upon years of revenue loss wasn't going to be an overnight thing. 

5 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I was saying that in relation to the budget cuts back in 2010. 

I'm not saying losing millions is okay, what I am saying is that this has been going on and blaming someone who just got on board isn't fair when you had people such as the governor who could have done something as well. Even if they didn't know how much they were losing they could still see things weren't breaking even. Byford came along at the end and stopping years upon years of revenue loss wasn't going to be an overnight thing. 

Talking about it for a year certainly wasn't doing anything either though. Any private company doing that would've been in serious trouble. 

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Talking about it for a year certainly wasn't doing anything either though. Any private company doing that would've been in serious trouble. 

And thats why I said the MTA is corrupt. 

With Byford gone, the Queens Bus Redesign lacking in many areas, as well as a tendency for decriminalization of certain activities by some of the DA's, is it possible that the gray market shuttle vans (and maybe the dollar cabs) will return to areas of Queens that haven't seen them in years?

I'm thinking of the beat-up Chevy's that used to ply the Q65A [Q64] on Jewel Ave. and Kissena Blvd picking up passengers. This was before the metrocard, but still, when one has to get somewhere w/o delay, two dollars is not much to ask....just look at the vans in Hudson County [I know - they have their issues, but they're authorized to have stands at the Port Authority-owned terminals in NYC (PABT Gate 51) and Jersey City (PATH JSQ)].

Who knows, I see many buses with MASS plates parked near Cunningham Park, Kissena Park by the LIE, etc - maybe those will become ad hoc express buses if the service levels (headways) aren't maintained at under 10 min during the rush hour. People will usually look to find ways to adapt.

8 minutes ago, OrionVIIonM79 said:

Hey have you guys noticed that bus timetables in buses are getting more rare

I’ve definitely noticed.

On 1/22/2020 at 7:59 PM, Jova42R said:

I was just looking on (MTA) BusTime and I came across this: http://bt.mta.info/#M191, the M191 route. Does anyone know what this is?

Not sure if this has been answered yet. But this is the supplement train shuttle for the 1 train between 181-191. Elevators at 191 st nicholas are being worked on

6 minutes ago, Statty said:

Not sure if this has been answered yet. But this is the supplement train shuttle for the 1 train between 181-191. Elevators at 191 st nicholas are being worked on

That’s for the A. The elevators at 181 St are being worked on. The 191 St replacement project starts in February.

1 hour ago, Statty said:

Are these elevator shuttles even used??

1 hour ago, Statty said:

1 hour ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

That’s for the A. The elevators at 181 St are being worked on. The 191 St replacement project starts in February.

https://new.mta.info/system_modernization/uptownelevators/191st1

All four elevators in the 191 St 1 station will be replaced. Work begins on Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 12:01 AM, and will is scheduled for completion in February 2021. During this time, the St. Nicholas Av/191 St elevator ENTRANCE/EXIT will be temporarily closed. The rest of the station will remain open, and 1 service will continue in both directions.

While elevator work is underway, access to the 191 St 1 station will be available via the tunnel at 190 St/Broadway. Regular M3 bus service, and the free M191 shuttle bus, can help you make your connections during this time.

5 hours ago, OrionVIIonM79 said:

Hey have you guys noticed that bus timetables in buses are getting more rare

Yeah, and it aint just the ones inside the buses either.....

24 minutes ago, OrionVIIonM79 said:

MTA is slowly killing them off

A lot of transit agencies are. It’s really sad to me — I liked the paper ones.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

So are the redesigns now cancelled?

Byford's resignation isn't a killswitch activation in the MTA's venture to cut back on costs, if that's what you're thinking.......

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So are the redesigns now cancelled?

Byford wasn't the one who called for the redesign process to be initiated. he was an overseer and attempted to accommodate customers. with him gone, they'll plow ahead, with little customer input (in my opinion)