BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

11 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Right now the B41, B2 and the B31 are the only routes at the bush that are allowed to use the 7600's wrap buses for passenger service which some of you may have notice the B41 has been flooded with the wrap buses in passenger service since the new pick started.

I believe they also make a few appearances on the B49.

Edited by Snorunts

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Snorunts said:

I believe they also make appearances on the B49.

Not really....If they have its because there were no more buses available to pull out. The depot union and management wanted them on the routes that doesn't have SBS running near by because they were a few confusing incident that took place with a passenger and a operator.

13 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Flatbush fleet and route related:

Recently The Bush received a load of articulated buses due to the SBS46 conversion  and caused a mass over flow at the depot with space issue. The bush had to let a few buses go by returning back to their originated home or to depots that needed buses to retire the OG's. Due to space issue Transit management had place a bid on the table to give up one of FB route and buses to accommodate space at the depot, But the union fought back and came up with a better plan by parking buses at night on the "Streets, Inside the depot, the back of the depot and fully use the Avenue N yard " at night.  The depot also returned some of the hybrids to Fresh Pond, East NY and maybe other depots that needed buses to replace the old OG's.

I’m wondering how come more local buses haven’t left Flatbush for Fresh Pond and East New York.

3 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

I’m wondering how come more local buses haven’t left Flatbush for Fresh Pond and East New York.

If the plan they have in mind to bring more articulated buses in, most likely more local buses will be leaving. Right now we are trying to make sure they don't touch the 7600's.

13 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

If the plan they have in mind to bring more articulated buses in, most likely more local buses will be leaving. Right now we are trying to make sure they don't touch the 7600's.

Flatbush deserves to keep those buses. Fresh Pond especially has enough 2018-19’s and shouldn’t receive any more.

45 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Recently The Bush received a load of articulated buses due to the SBS46 conversion  and caused a mass over flow at the depot with space issue. The bush had to let a few buses go by returning back to their originated home or to depots that needed buses to retire the OG's. Due to space issue Transit management had place a bid on the table to give up one of FB route and buses to accommodate space at the depot, But the union fought back and came up with a better plan by parking buses at night on the "Streets, Inside the depot, the back of the depot and fully use the Avenue N yard " at night.  The depot also returned some of the hybrids to Fresh Pond, East NY and maybe other depots that needed buses to replace the old OG's. 

Today again, rumors are spreading rapidly that MTA wants to send some more Articulated buses to FB and possibility use them on the B41 as part of their next move in conversion. Right now the B41, B2 and the B31 are the only routes at the bush that are allowed to use the 7600's wrap buses for passenger service which some of you may have notice the B41 has been flooded with the wrap buses in passenger service since the new pick started.

We all Know ENY is currently under construction for Articulated buses space

Ulmer Park also has been thrown in the mix for possibilities Articulated buses service in the future especially for the B1. Currently they have a Grand Avenue Articulated bus park nearby the depot for training purpose.

Will this change take in effect soon?, Will more articulated buses be heading to the bush and be used on the B41?.... Only time will tell but I know one thing for sure, Transit is planning to turn some of Brooklyn's major routes into Articulated buses to cut cost and savings....

My question is where on earth are they going to get these articulated buses from? They already got rid of those old new flyer artics last year so everything else is for sbs use. Converting the B41? Why would they convert it before there were any other procurements for future artics to be delivered? I know they want to cut costs and so on but where on earth are they going to get the equipment for this?  

1 hour ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Right now the B41, B2 and the B31 are the only routes at the bush that are allowed to use the 7600's wrap buses for passenger service which some of you may have notice the B41 has been flooded with the wrap buses in passenger service since the new pick started.

My question is

Is it that much work to just wrap it in local scheme? There is absolutely no need for the 7600s there to stay in SBS duty.

3 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Today again, rumors are spreading rapidly that MTA wants to send some more Articulated buses to FB and possibility use them on the B41 as part of their next move in conversion. Right now the B41, B2 and the B31 are the only routes at the bush that are allowed to use the 7600's wrap buses for passenger service which some of you may have notice the B41 has been flooded with the wrap buses in passenger service since the new pick started.

Ulmer Park also has been thrown in the mix for possibilities Articulated buses service in the future especially for the B1. Currently they have a Grand Avenue Articulated bus park nearby the depot for training purpose.

Will this change take in effect soon?, Will more articulated buses be heading to the bush and be used on the B41?.... Only time will tell but I know one thing for sure, Transit is planning to turn some of Brooklyn's major routes into Articulated buses to cut cost and savings....

It makes sense as I noticed this on the B2/31 on Avenue R, those routes doesn't touch any SBS route except for transfer at Nostrand Av and Kings Plaza. Speaking of Kings Plaza, a sight of XD-60s and XD-40s are all over with the B46 Select and B2 and B41 as the last stop. The XD-40s, I noticed they placed back the regular $2.75 fare reading with some of them having the Select peeled off. 

The B49: Back when the B46 used the SBS 7600s, I spotted one by the Sheepshead Bay train station but only to Avenue S.  I can see how come the 49 doesn't use the 7600s going to Bed-Stuy as the problem is Rogers Av with the SBS B44. 

Edited by Calvin

Just came off an express bus (BM1) about an hour and a half or so ago.... Was going to take it over to Utica (well, Schenectady), but I couldn't take the stale air that was circulating throughout the bus but for so much longer... Started feeling queasy when we got to the M23 terminal (I got on at E. 30th/5th), so I got off at E. 18th/Cortelyou & walked the rest of the way home.... Luckily I always carry a bottled water, because that's what likely held me over for as long as it did.....

Didn't get the exact bus #, but it was one of the #33xx's...

Edited by B35 via Church

4 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

1) Where are they going to get buses at? At this point it’s either decommissioned some SBS 2017 XD60’s or snatch them from Manhattan. However, one thing is for sure. I smell LFSA’s making a slight return to Brooklyn 

2) Ulmer just received 3 buses from KB to add with the Grand Avenue bus at the lot. So that makes 4 buses right now at Ulmer. 

3) The bus stops are already modified for artics for the B41. I wonder why now transit is trying to make these changes meanwhile the 41 should of been introduced to artics. I remember vividly back in the day 5383 than at Gun Hill was training at Flatbush those DHF 60’s would of been good for Flatbush.  
At least the good thing is that they are not touching the 7600’s and lets keep it that way! 

6 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

My question is

Is it that much work to just wrap it in local scheme? There is absolutely no need for the 7600s there to stay in SBS duty.

My guess is this is just temporary until they figure out how many are being displaced by artics and they they'll get local scheme.

7 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Recently The Bush received a load of articulated buses due to the SBS46 conversion  and caused a mass over flow at the depot with space issue. The bush had to let a few buses go by returning back to their originated home or to depots that needed buses to retire the OG's.

Due to space issue Transit management had place a bid on the table to give up one of FB route and buses to accommodate space at the depot,

But the union fought back and came up with a better plan by parking buses at night on the "Streets, Inside the depot, the back of the depot and fully use the Avenue N yard " at night.  

The depot also returned some of the hybrids to Fresh Pond, East NY and maybe other depots that needed buses to replace the old OG's. 

Here are my additional questions @Flatbush SBS Duece   

Why would transit bid on a  Flatbush route. Any chance to this would totally mess the Brooklyn Division even further. You don’t want a B49 deadhead from either Ulmer or East New York only to do the same work as Flatbush currently.  If transit was so concerned about the space at FB most of the NG’s should of went to Fresh Pond, and ENY respectively. Instead FP is sitting on OG spares from ENY. 

2). What’s taking so long for the OG’s to retire? Transit priority was only for the Manhattan OG’s to retire and never really cared about Brooklyn. Now, transit is going to have a problem if they don’t fix this at once. Retire the ENY and Fresh Pond OG’s and split the NG’s between both depots and there goes most of the spacing issue for FB. 

4 hours ago, Calvin said:

It makes sense as I noticed this on the B2/31 on Avenue R, those routes doesn't touch any SBS route except for transfer at Nostrand Av and Kings Plaza. Speaking of Kings Plaza, a sight of XD-60s and XD-40s are all over with the B46 Select and B2 and B41 as the last stop. The XD-40s, I noticed they placed back the regular $2.75 fare reading with some of them having the Select peeled off. 

The B49: Back when the B46 used the SBS 7600s, I spotted one by the Sheepshead Bay train station but only to Avenue S.  I can see how come the 49 doesn't use the 7600s going to Bed-Stuy as the problem is Rogers Av with the SBS B44. 

Exactly! The B44 has SBS running down, The B46 and the B49 also has sbs routes running down the path so to avoid confusion we rather the wrap buses running on local routes that doesn’t have any sbs routes running on the same road. Now with Shuttle work being active lately over the weekend you may see maybe 1 or 2 wrap buses landing on those local route due to whats available at the time in the depot.

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

1) Where are they going to get buses at? At this point it’s either decommissioned some SBS 2017 XD60’s or snatch them from Manhattan. However, one thing is for sure. I smell LFSA’s making a slight return to Brooklyn 

2) Ulmer just received 3 buses from KB to add with the Grand Avenue bus at the lot. So that makes 4 buses right now at Ulmer. 

3) The bus stops are already modified for artics for the B41. I wonder why now transit is trying to make these changes meanwhile the 41 should of been introduced to artics. I remember vividly back in the day 5383 than at Gun Hill was training at Flatbush those DHF 60’s would of been good for Flatbush.  
At least the good thing is that they are not touching the 7600’s and lets keep it that way! 

The bus stops are not 100% ready especially a few I can name off the top of my head that are local stops. But that wouldn’t stop management from not running these bad boys down the line as soon as possible.

13 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

My guess is this is just temporary until they figure out how many are being displaced by artics and they they'll get local scheme.

Maybe......... This is transit we are talking about here. They love making last minute changes.

6 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

My question is

Could be a reason why they’re not wrapping or putting it on local scheme yet.

6 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

My question is where on earth are they going to get these articulated buses from? They already got rid of those old new flyer artics last year so everything else is for sbs use. Converting the B41? Why would they convert it before there were any other procurements for future artics to be delivered? I know they want to cut costs and so on but where on earth are they going to get the equipment for this?  

Well we all know by now they are testing the new XE60’s at Quill, and they are receiving a few more batches. Maybe transit has a few load of orders that are being order for fast delivery or maybe they’ll be taking a few buses out of Manhattan and Bronx.

8 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Here are my additional questions @Flatbush SBS Duece   

Why would transit bid on a  Flatbush route. Any chance to this would totally mess the Brooklyn Division even further. You don’t want a B49 deadhead from either Ulmer or East New York only to do the same work as Flatbush currently.  If transit was so concerned about the space at FB most of the NG’s should of went to Fresh Pond, and ENY respectively. Instead FP is sitting on OG spares from ENY. 

2). What’s taking so long for the OG’s to retire? Transit priority was only for the Manhattan OG’s to retire and never really cared about Brooklyn. Now, transit is going to have a problem if they don’t fix this at once. Retire the ENY and Fresh Pond OG’s and split the NG’s between both depots and there goes most of the spacing issue for FB. 

Remember ENY is currently under construction just so they can start using Articulated buses sooner or later. Maybe that will be the plan to start retiring the left over OG’s at ENY.

The bid was place on the table since the depot was over capacity, but words on the street is that the B49 is in the middle of an possibility it wants to make its way to Ulmer park or a trade for the B3 or B1. But its going to be a tough battle since the union will most likely disapprove the losing or trades. You have to remember by losing a route will cause a big lost of operators remaining at the depot or not enough work flow. The B49 besides the B46 local has the most runs that carries more than 9 - 10 hours shift and some of the top pay operators love these long hour paying work.

Right now Flatbush has manage the space and is currently under control since the Ave N yard has been holding up 27-30 buses at night. But because of the rumor about receiving more articulated buses just to convert the B41 will caused more local buses being pushed out the bush. 

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

The only thing I can really think of is if they are petty and take the remaining 2017 XD60s left from LGA and JFK to make a articulated B41 a reality. Of course this wouldn’t be fair to those depots because they were short and now they aren’t but I feel like management wants to do it they will do it. After all they are NYCT buses so they can use that as a reason.

This is where I think the MTA shouldn’t have jumped the gun so fast with the Q12 conversion. It really didn’t need those XD60s as badly as the MTA suggested and I still believe the Q6 and or the Q64 would have been a better candidate for conversion. However since we are talking about a possible B41 conversion, hands down the B41 could use 60 ft buses. 

5 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The only thing I can really think of is if they are petty and take the remaining 2017 XD60s left from LGA and JFK to make a articulated B41 a reality. Of course this wouldn’t be fair to those depots because they were short and now they aren’t but I feel like management wants to do it they will do it. After all they are NYCT buses so they can use that as a reason.

This is where I think the MTA shouldn’t have jumped the gun so fast with the Q12 conversion. It really didn’t need those XD60s as badly as the MTA suggested and I still believe the Q6 and or the Q64 would have been a better candidate for conversion. 

However since we are talking about a possible B41 conversion, hands down the B41 could use 60 ft buses. 

Here’s the only problem with that. 6068-6092 even are staying at LGA for now unless something changes and the Q70 is either up next or right after the B1 artic conversion. However, LGA has been putting 1 artic on the Q70 for a while so a conversion is soon to be reality. 

I’m in full agreement with you on this notion. The sight of artics on Northern Boulevard doesn’t make sense but again what do i know with regards to metrics the TA is using. I mean anything that transit does really don’t make sense. So putting the Q12 for artics was just their way of getting the XD60’s out of the Bronx and into Queens and Brooklyn respectively. 

7 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Remember ENY is currently under construction just so they can start using Articulated buses sooner or later. Maybe that will be the plan to start retiring the left over OG’s at ENY.

The bid was place on the table since the depot was over capacity, but words on the street is that the B49 is in the middle of an possibility it wants to make its way to Ulmer park or a trade for the B3 or B1. But its going to be a tough battle since the union will most likely disapprove the losing or trades. You have to remember by losing a route will cause a big lost of operators remaining at the depot or not enough work flow. The B49 besides the B46 local has the most runs that carries more than 9 - 10 hours shift and some of the top pay operators love these long hour paying work.

Right now Flatbush has manage the space and is currently under control since the Ave N yard has been holding up 27-30 buses at night. But because of the rumor about receiving more articulated buses just to convert the B41 will caused more local buses being pushed out the bush. 

1) Depending on how MTA construction works I could possibly see ENY having artics by the summer if construction works pretty quickly and efficient. 

2) To dispel some of the word on the street. Ulmer Park will retain the B1. Now, me personally I don’t like the B49 // B3 swap and why would transit even think to do that is beyond my imagination. However, if that takes place you will see the seniority of FB ops heading to Ulmer just for that B49. That 49 does bring $$, along with the 46 local and 41. Not to say the 44 doesn’t bring in $$ in operating hours. However, from what you mentioned I personally don’t think the 49 is leaving FB to Ulmer. 

3) You guys doing good with the spacing on Avenue N. As long as you guys can maintain the parking situation at night i can’t see transit trying to beast and take away routes from Flatbush. The division is already in a complete disarray anymore shifting will increase deadheading. 

38 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Here’s the only problem with that. 6068-6092 even are staying at LGA for now unless something changes and the Q70 is either up next or right after the B1 artic conversion. However, LGA has been putting 1 artic on the Q70 for a while so a conversion is soon to be reality. 

I’m in full agreement with you on this notion. The sight of artics on Northern Boulevard doesn’t make sense but again what do i know with regards to metrics the TA is using. I mean anything that transit does really don’t make sense. So putting the Q12 for artics was just their way of getting the XD60’s out of the Bronx and into Queens and Brooklyn respectively. 

I think it was also a cost saving measure, however I’m surprised the Q13 didn’t see cuts to make a newly 60ft Q12 conversion work better.

21 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Wouldn’t had made more sense for the B1 to be split with FB I.e. to send. Few artics during rush hours instead of converting it? It sounds like the B1 should have been converted along with the B38 last summer if that was the case instead of the Q12. 

No splits and plus no need for Flatbush to be operating the B1. I usually see more JG buses vs Flatbush buses on the 1 during rush hours. 

12 hours ago, Jova42R said:

What is the weirdest short-turn you have ever seen?

For me:

• M4 116 ST-BWAY
  • M60 ASTORIA 31 ST (before SBS)
  • S89 YUKON MALL
  • M12 14 ST

What are yours?

These aren't weird, but they happen randomly for me.

Bx9 BRONX ZOO

Bx1 FT INDEP ST

Bx10 231 ST

Bx19 163 ST

And possibly one of the dumbest ones..

Bx12 PELHAM BAY (From Bay Plaza...at 6 PM.)