BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Just want to here your thoughts. What buses do you rock with right now?

As for now I only care about.

1. Nova LFS (2016s and 2019s)

2. XN40s and XN60s

3. 6500s and Old Gens.

Everything else is meh or just there to me. 

Rest In Piece to the Real Buses of NY. RTS, Orion 5/CNG, Orion 7 CNG, D60s, 1999 C40LFs, and most MCI D4500 with the Detroit Diesels.

Edited by Q23 via 108

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Just want to here your thoughts. What buses do you rock with right now?

As for now I only care about.

1. Nova LFS (2016s and 2019s)

2. XN40s and XN60s

3. 6500s and Old Gens.

Everything else is meh or just there to me. 

Rest In Piece to the Real Buses of NY. RTS, Orion 5/CNG, Orion 7 CNG, D60s, 1999 C40LFs, and most MCI D4500 with the Detroit Diesels.

I’m a huge fan of the 2017-2019 New Flyer Xcelsior (XD40) buses (especially the ones at Grand Avenue Depot which are maintained really well). I love Xcelsiors and Version 2 digital information screens.

I also like the 2014-2015 version of that same model (again, mostly the ones at Grand Avenue Depot for the same reason).

I pretty much like all the buses in the fleet, except for the 3G's on SI. The seating configuration in the rear of the bus is garbage for tall ppl, if all the seats in the last row are taken you're pretty much outta luck getting a comfortable seat on the HF section of the bus. If I had to choose a favorite bus, the C40LF. Honorable mention, the various MCI's we have, we have a lot of diversity with our MCI's. Some are DD powered, some CAT, some Cummins, etc. 

46 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I pretty much like all the buses in the fleet, except for the 3G's on SI. The seating configuration in the rear of the bus is garbage for tall ppl, if all the seats in the last row are taken you're pretty much outta luck getting a comfortable seat on the HF section of the bus.

Those should have remain in Queens Village (IMO). I think they would also do well in Flatbush, East New York, Grand Avenue, Casey Stengel, or Manhattanville Depots instead of NG’s.

4 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Those should have remain in Queens Village (IMO). I think they would also do well in Flatbush, East New York, Grand Avenue, Casey Stengel, or Manhattanville Depots instead of NG’s.

Well the Next Gens are perfect for Manhattanville because hybrids are good for stop and go traffic. But those 3rd Gens could've easily done their thing in Queens or Brooklyn. I doubt that they'll retire there anyway. Once they're closer to retirement, watch them send the 3rd Gens to (MTA) Bus Co. Were all the old buses go before they die.

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

As a BK resident I'm glad they are all on SI, out of sight, out of mind. The OG/NG hybrids are much more comfortable to me. 

2 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Well the Next Gens are perfect for Manhattanville because hybrids are good for stop and go traffic. But those 3rd Gens could've easily done their thing in Queens or Brooklyn. I doubt that they'll retire there anyway. Once they're closer to retirement, watch them send the 3rd Gens to (MTA) Bus Co. Were all the old buses go before they die.

Is it just a rumor that MHV is going to get XDE40s, or will they?

I was on 7619 today on the B41-LIMITED and oddly enough the transfer announcement at  Joralemon Street/Court Street said Transfer Available to B41-LIMITED.

Yes, I know for certain I was on a limited 41. Not only it said so on the destination sign but the orange sign with “LIMITED” in purple letters was displayed by the front window.

(I also added this comment in the On-board screens and announcements thread)

7 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

I miss the Orion VII 3G’s when they were in Queens. Use to enjoy riding them on the Q88 to school along with the New Flyer XD40s, LFS’s, RTS’s and the 2004 Orion VII’s. Queens Village was a diverse depot back in late 2011and 2012. Then if you caught the Q27, Q88 school trippers which is based out of Casey Stengel you had the Orion V’s from 1996 and 1999, the Orion VII’s from 2007 and the Orion VII NG’s. 

14 hours ago, Jova42R said:

Is it just a rumor that MHV is going to get XDE40s, or will they?

That would make the most sense because they are retiring the 2005/6/7 Orions and they pride themselves for being 100% hybrid electric, and they will need new buses after retirement. Also MHV is not suitable for artics 

5 hours ago, OrionVIIonM79 said:

That would make the most sense because they are retiring the 2005/6/7 Orions and they pride themselves for being 100% hybrid electric, and they will need new buses after retirement. Also MHV is not suitable for artics 

Or buses from Brooklyn may end up there just like buses from Staten Island and the Bronx did....

1 minute ago, OrionVIIonM79 said:

But THEIR Orions are also retiring, and Brooklyn got lots of new buses when the RTS retired...

He's referring to the NG hybrids. Those units could easily replace the 6700's at MHV and Hale (whenever that happens cause none of those are being retired at this time).

On 2/21/2020 at 12:15 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I miss the Orion VII 3G’s when they were in Queens. Use to enjoy riding them on the Q88 to school along with the New Flyer XD40s, LFS’s, RTS’s and the 2004 Orion VII’s. Queens Village was a diverse depot back in late 2011and 2012. Then if you caught the Q27, Q88 school trippers which is based out of Casey Stengel you had the Orion V’s from 1996 and 1999, the Orion VII’s from 2007 and the Orion VII NG’s. 

I miss Orion V’s. The all longitudinal seating made riding rush hour S52/42 bearable.

Although dunno why (NYCT) didn’t order the CNG models, or the ones we had in Sacramento where you opened the rear doors by stepping onto the first step.

Was better than touching the door, IMO. (Cuz folks don’t wash their hands.)

Just now, Deucey said:

I miss Orion V’s. The all longitudinal seating made riding rush hour S52/42 bearable.

Although dunno why (NYCT) didn’t order the CNG models, or the ones we had in Sacramento where you opened the rear doors by stepping onto the first step.

Was better than touching the door, IMO. (Cuz folks don’t wash their hands.)

The Beeline Orion V buses that the MTA brought had the back doors that opened up automatically, but it also was an invitation for farebeating. I remember at one point I would catch those Orion Vs all the time on the Q112 and getting so tired of them so fast because it seemed like they pushed all the old buses to the Q110 and Q112 routes. I wish those buses received the paint scheme that 174 and 180 had before retirement because it looked much better than the one the rest of them had.