BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/25/2020 at 7:00 PM, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Something was up with the Q46 today because everyone was stuck waiting in the rain for over 30 minutes during the rush hour. There were like 8 back-to-back Q46 buses heading to Glen Oaks/Lake Success with nothing heading towards Kew Gardens for a long time. After half an hour of nothing, a lone bus shows up at Union Turnpike/Little Neck Parkway (where I was waiting) packed from Glen Oaks, which is rarely seen. Most of the the runs that are crush-loaded that early on from the terminal are coming from LIJ Medical Center. I have never seen close to 10 Q46 buses running neck and neck like that in the past 8 years I've taken this particular bus route.

I had a similar issue today...20 minute wait in both directions on the 46 this afternoon

14 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Sounds like the Q25/Q34 around 1:30-3pm. There is always a 20-30 minute gap where no bus shows up. 

Same with the Q65 almost everyday around 10-11 AM. Usually there is a 20 minute gap with two buses coming together. During the spring semester last year, the Q65 was so delayed on such a frequent basis that I can count on one hand how many times I walked to the Q46, instead of waiting for  the Q65 and then transferring.  

The other day the Q65 was delayed and I was waiting at my stop at around 10:45, and I got passed by a limited bus, which should have stopped running by me around 9:40 AM, with no local bus in sight.

31 minutes ago, jaf0519 said:

Same with the Q65 almost everyday around 10-11 AM. Usually there is a 20 minute gap with two buses coming together. During the spring semester last year, the Q65 was so delayed on such a frequent basis that I can count on one hand how many times I walked to the Q46, instead of waiting for  the Q65 and then transferring.  

The other day the Q65 was delayed and I was waiting at my stop at around 10:45, and I got passed by a limited bus, which should have stopped running by me around 9:40 AM, with no local bus in sight.

31 minutes ago, jaf0519 said:

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Sounds like the Q25/Q34 around 1:30-3pm. There is always a 20-30 minute gap where no bus shows up. 

I've tried to take the Q65/25/34 to the LIRR Jamaica station mid-day and ended up having to take a cab because the gap is so long. Bunching is horrendous on the lines at all times of day.

3 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I've tried to take the Q65/25/34 to the LIRR Jamaica station mid-day and ended up having to take a cab because the gap is so long. Bunching is horrendous on the lines at all times of day.

Its been happening for years and the (MTA) does nothing to correct that. I think around 2-3pm is when the traffic starts to pick up, school kids get out and the MTA doesn’t prepare itself to deal with it. I personally don’t like it when a regular bus stops at a stop near a school and has to pick up a ton of students, cause that just slows everything down. 

On 2/24/2020 at 10:34 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t think anymore XD60s are coming from JFK/LGA. I believe all the 2017 XD60s they have are there for additional service. In LGA’s case the Q70 is being converted, as far as JFK the Q52 probably will have more service but I don’t know. All I know is before that a spare factor was almost non existent. 

The remaining 3 at JFK are slated to go to Flatbush.

On 2/27/2020 at 9:55 PM, Deucey said:

Are the Xcelsiors running on Q70 equipped with speed governors?

Yessir, most at 40, one or two goes over that.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Its been happening for years and the (MTA) does nothing to correct that. I think around 2-3pm is when the traffic starts to pick up, school kids get out and the MTA doesn’t prepare itself to deal with it. I personally don’t like it when a regular bus stops at a stop near a school and has to pick up a ton of students, cause that just slows everything down. 

I mean, there's hardly much they can do about it.....once it hits rush hour, virtually all of the C40LFs are out in service with the exception of those needing maintenance. Traffic isn't their fault, and that tends to be one of the leading causes of the gaps in service.

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

Most (or at least a big portion) of Manhattan buses have them. There was another 2006 Hybrid I rode on the M104 a little while ago that had them.

Yeah i thought so. Thoughts on my Central Park plan?

Edited by Jova42R

19 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

I mean, there's hardly much they can do about it.....once it hits rush hour, virtually all of the C40LFs are out in service with the exception of those needing maintenance. Traffic isn't their fault, and that tends to be one of the leading causes of the gaps in service.

The Q65 in particular bunches at all times off day, including late night, when there is light traffic and light passenger loads. Drives me nuts whenever I need to use it  

14 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The Q65 in particular bunches at all times off day, including late night, when there is light traffic and light passenger loads. Drives me nuts whenever I need to use it  

Same case with the Q25 however not so bad anymore especially the weekends and evenings. Yeah you still have gaps and bunched up buses on the weekends but I find when I need to use the Q25 it is not too bad. I remember a time when you could wait 30+ minutes because of missing buses or late buses. Most of my issues with the Q25/Q34 are during the weekday but a lot of the issues comes from traffic along Kissena Blvd in Flushing and Jamaica.