BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all,

I have made a redesign of Columbia Transportation. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12mljq57Boce2B8El71eQXZ_soZsAhkOX&usp=sharing

The routes would be as follows:

• Red Line
    • Morningside to CUMC via Broadway.
    • Regular, current route
    • runs 1 XE40 (same as current)
  • Green Line
    • 96th to CUMC via HH Pkwy
    • rerouted via West End and HH Pkwy
    • runs 2 XE40 (one XE40 added)
  • Blue Line
    • Morningside to CUMC via 125th and Harlem Hospital
    • now runs fulltime via 125th
    • runs 1 XE40 and 1 LFS (currently it alternates between a LFS and XE40, now with the route elongated, it would run both)
  • Manhattanville Shuttle
    • NOT a loop, 96 to 116 via 125th
    • completely overhauled route
    • runs 1 LFS (same as current)
  • Lamont Shuttle (NOT SHOWN ON MAP)
    • unchanged in all aspects
  • Fort Lee Shuttle (NOT SHOWN ON MAP)
    • runs 1 LFS instead of 1 XE40

So, the proposed fleet roster would be:

New Flyer Xcelsior XE40: 2991, 2992, 2993^, 2994, 2995*, 2996

Nova Bus LFS: 2114, 2115, 2116, 2117**, 2143**

*Transfered from Fort Lee Shuttle

^Transfered from Lamont Shuttle

**Spare Buses

10 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

Hello all,

• Red Line
    • Regular, current route
  • Green Line
  • Blue Line
    • runs 1 XE40 and 1 LFS (currently it alternates between a LFS and XE40, now with the route elongated, it would run both)
  • Manhattanville Shuttle

**Spare Buses

Why would they need their routes changed? They also have shuttle buses here in Riverdale near me. They run frequently now for the a Columbia graduate students that live in their luxury dorms.

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Why would they need their routes changed? They also have shuttle buses here in Riverdale near me. They run frequently now for the a Columbia graduate students that live in their luxury dorms.

Their routes need to be changed because they regularly run 30 minutes late. I’ve heard about the Riverdale Shuttle, but its not on their website. Do you know which buses they run or where to find the schedule?

Went to LGA to pick someone up this morning and got an artic on the Q70 coming back (took it because the M60 had a 30 minute gap).

The Q70 actually had fairly heavy ridership. Either there were a lot of M60 refugees or they need to go all-artic and add more buses on the Q70. What a success the LaGuardia Link has been 225px-andrew_cuomo_by_pat_arnow_cropped_

5 hours ago, Jova42R said:

Their routes need to be changed because they regularly run 30 minutes late. I’ve heard about the Riverdale Shuttle, but its not on their website. Do you know which buses they run or where to find the schedule?

They own a few buildings that I live near in Riverdale. The first one is "The Arbor".  That is a condo development that they took over years ago and made into student housing for their graduate students, so they are apartments with a doorman down stairs.  Their shuttle buses are basically like mini vans and are waiting right outside of the building.   They run pretty frequently. I would say about every 20 - 30 minutes most of the day.  I believe they run to the 1 train station and perhaps another location, but I'm not sure if any of them go directly to Columbia.

They used to not run as frequently, but they expanded the service recently. In any event, some of the Columbia students take the express buses to and from Riverdale when the shuttles don't run or aren't available, and the Metro-North Hudson Raillink shuttle buses also stop there right in front of the building. I don't think their shuttle service runs on weekends. The second building that they own a few blocks away I believe is mainly for Columbia University staff. There is no shuttle service for that building. The shuttle service that does exist does some sort of loop. They start at 3260 Henry Hudson Parkway, then loop around from there.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They own a few buildings that I live near in Riverdale. The first one is "The Arbor".  That is a condo development that they took over years ago and made into student housing for their graduate students, so they are apartments with a doorman down stairs.  Their shuttle buses are basically like mini vans and are waiting right outside of the building.   They run pretty frequently. I would say about every 20 - 30 minutes most of the day.  I believe they run to the 1 train station and perhaps another location, but I'm not sure if any of them go directly to Columbia.

They used to not run as frequently, but they expanded the service recently. In any event, some of the Columbia students take the express buses to and from Riverdale when the shuttles don't run or aren't available, and the Metro-North Hudson Raillink shuttle buses also stop there right in front of the building. I don't think their shuttle service runs on weekends. The second building that they own a few blocks away I believe is mainly for Columbia University staff. There is no shuttle service for that building. The shuttle service that does exist does some sort of loop. They start at 3260 Henry Hudson Parkway, then loop around from there.

Ah yes, right. But those are not Academy buses. Any thoughts on the rest of the plan?

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

This guy was waiting for the B46 local at the bus stop, when the bus came it didn't stop and kept on going. Dude basically did the Doc Rivers gif..

tenor.gif

Was quite funny to see..

Some of these bus drivers lately have been doing this crap more and more and it’s sad. I would report that bus and time. 

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

This guy was waiting for the B46 local at the bus stop, when the bus came it didn't stop and kept on going. Dude basically did the Doc Rivers gif..

tenor.gif

Was quite funny to see..

Not that it matters, but what stop was this?

Just yesterday I took a local from Eastern Pkwy.... When we got to Winthrop, b/o goes "next stop Church av, B35"..... I basically did the ice cube face (don't feel like searching for the gif right now), shrugged my shoulders & was like whatever (as I personally benefited from it)..... Soon as the bus pulled out from Winthrop, someone rang the bell... Said to myself, good luck walking from Church to Lenox....

I eventually got off at Church, looked up Utica & there wasn't a bus in sight (local or SBS).... This was around 4pm or so.... Bus was jampacked.

43 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Not that it matters, but what stop was this?

Just yesterday I took a local from Eastern Pkwy.... When we got to Winthrop, b/o goes "next stop Church av, B35"..... I basically did the ice cube face (don't feel like searching for the gif right now), shrugged my shoulders & was like whatever (as I personally benefited from it)..... Soon as the bus pulled out from Winthrop, someone rang the bell... Said to myself, good luck walking from Church to Lenox....

I eventually got off at Church, looked up Utica & there wasn't a bus in sight (local or SBS).... This was around 4pm or so.... Bus was jampacked.

That stop across the street from KFC, near Utica & E New York Ave.

45 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

That stop across the street from KFC, near Utica & E New York Ave.

smh.... somebody's always getting bypassed there... The Rutland rd. stop (the stop before the one you're referring to) is disproportionately used for that reason (IMO anyway) & has been for the longest....

The Maple st. stop should actually be at Maple st. (right before you cross the light), instead of being closer to that gas station.... The stop is poorly located.

Edited by B35 via Church

On 3/8/2020 at 10:44 PM, Jova42R said:

Hello all,

• Red Line
    • Regular, current route
  • Green Line
  • Blue Line
  • Manhattanville Shuttle

**Spare Buses

I'd say leave their routes alone.

You also cannot assign specific buses or a certain quantity of buses on their routes. It all depends on the needs and necessities at certain times of the day.

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

I'd say leave their routes alone.

You also cannot assign specific buses or a certain quantity of buses on their routes. It all depends on the needs and necessities at certain times of the day.

As I think I explained earlier, the routes are routinely 30+ minutes late (I rode one today that was 45 min late), and this overhaul should help with that.

I know that with the (MTA), you could never do that, but with CU Transportation, the only thing that varies is the Lamont Shuttle, running either a single XE40 or 2 XE40s. Everything else stays the same (currently its 2992 on the Red, 2994 on the Green, 2116 on the Blue, 2143 on the Manhattanville, 2995 on the Fort Lee, 2993 and 2996 on the Lamont, and 2991 and 2115-18 as spares). And as I said above, units 2117 and 2143 (as well as 2118 - forgot to add that) would be spares. As well, Academy has ~10 VanHool buses that could be used as spares. So, even if one bus was down, you could replace it.

Thoughts now?

12 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

As I think I explained earlier, the routes are routinely 30+ minutes late (I rode one today that was 45 min late), and this overhaul should help with that.

I know that with the (MTA), you could never do that, but with CU Transportation, the only thing that varies is the Lamont Shuttle, running either a single XE40 or 2 XE40s. Everything else stays the same (currently its 2992 on the Red, 2994 on the Green, 2116 on the Blue, 2143 on the Manhattanville, 2995 on the Fort Lee, 2993 and 2996 on the Lamont, and 2991 and 2115-18 as spares). And as I said above, units 2117 and 2143 (as well as 2118 - forgot to add that) would be spares. As well, Academy has ~10 VanHool buses that could be used as spares. So, even if one bus was down, you could replace it.

Thoughts now?

You're a student? Only students, professors and other Columbia personnel are allowed to ride those buses as it requires University ID.

Like I said....leave it alone.

They're college shuttles, not a major agency. College shuttles pale in comparison to major agencies that can actually use a redesign.

I'm pretty sure if there were any actual issues with the routes, it'd be public knowledge with the city, Academy and the university by now. The university, after all, are the ones in charge of how the routes are designed.

Edited by Cait Sith

12 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

You're a student? Only students, professors and other Columbia personnel are allowed to ride those buses as it requires University ID.

Like I said....leave it alone.

They're college shuttles, not a major agency. College shuttles pale in comparison to major agencies that can actually use a redesign.

I'm pretty sure if there were any actual issues with the routes, it'd be public knowledge with the city, Academy and the university by now. The university, after all, are the ones in charge of how the routes are designed.

I'm affiliated with Columbia.

Even though I don't think the University cares about the shuttles, therefore the need of a redesign, but also your point about Academy is valid, they wouldn't want to train drivers on the new routes.

4 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

I'm affiliated with Columbia.

Even though I don't think the University cares about the shuttles, therefore the need of a redesign, but also your point about Academy is valid, they wouldn't want to train drivers on the new routes.

It's not about training operators on routes...if Academy gets paid by the university to operate those shuttles, they don't have much of a choice but to re-train operators on new routes. It's a matter of what Columbia does with the routes. It does not all fall on Academy.

5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

People with Medicare cards, access-a-ride and senior citizen metrocards are able to ride them too!

My grandma does it all the time. Flashes her senior citizen metrocard and hops on.