BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

(MTA) Bus has been having some sort of unknown issue in BK and QNS.

I can't help but notice they accidentally listed the B100 and B103 twice.

I also can't help but notice this only points to depots in Brooklyn and southern Queens.

15 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Do SC, BP & JFK have different unions than the rest of MTA Bus/NYCT? I wonder if this was a planned "slowdown" for whatever reason.

BP is TWU 100, JFK/FR are ATU 1179, SC is ATU 1181 (edited 2 mins ago)

Edited by Calvin
numbers to be specific mixed up

1 hour ago, OrionVIIonM79 said:

Are 5439 and 5441 in local scheme yet?

There is a more appropriate thread (Repainted/Wrapped Buses) to ask that question in, but in all honesty, I don’t know if those two buses are even planned to be repainted.

Edited by Snorunts

1 hour ago, OrionVIIonM79 said:

Are 5439 and 5441 in local scheme yet?

3 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

There is a more appropriate thread (Repainted/Wrapped Buses) to ask that question in, but in all honesty, I don’t know if those two buses are even planned to be repainted.

They're still in the SBS scheme, and will most likely stay that way.

There's really no reason for them to even be in the local scheme. The rest of the 2016-2019 LFSA fleet are in the SBS scheme, and it doesn't make much sense to wrap those two buses in a local scheme, if there's a really good chance they're probably end up back in the SBS scheme. Besides, they were "supposed" to go to Gun Hill, but Kingsbridge is fighting to keep them.

And the argument that "having them in the SBS scheme would confuse riders" is moot, as none of the Kingsbridge routes have an SBS variant nor do they run alongside an SBS route, with the exception of the Bx9 which run with the Bx12 SBS, However, the Bx9 stops on Fordham Road are across the street from the Bx12 SBS stops, so there won't be much confusion there if an SBS wrapped bus shows up on the Bx9.

TL;DR 5439 and 5441 don't need to be placed in the local scheme for any reason so they most likely won't be.

8 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

There's really no reason for them to even be in the local scheme. The rest of the 2016-2019 LFSA fleet are in the SBS scheme, and it doesn't make much sense to wrap those two buses in a local scheme, if there's a really good chance they're probably end up back in the SBS scheme. Besides, they were "supposed" to go to Gun Hill, but Kingsbridge is fighting to keep them.

And the argument that "having them in the SBS scheme would confuse riders" is moot, as none of the Kingsbridge routes have an SBS variant nor do they run alongside an SBS route, with the exception of the Bx9 which run with the Bx12 SBS, However, the Bx9 stops on Fordham Road are across the street from the Bx12 SBS stops, so there won't be much confusion there if an SBS wrapped bus shows up on the Bx9.

TL;DR 5439 and 5441 don't need to be placed in the local scheme for any reason so they most likely won't be.

I agree with your statement.

58 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

I would say I agree with the statement.....

But, Flatbush is very slowly converting their XD40s into the local scheme. And if KB is fighting to keep their buses, and more novas are supposedly due to go to the bronx (including kingsbridge, as there are 8 XD60s that need to be moved from there and that's just enough FB Novas able to move for a fair trade if enough swaps happen citywide), there might be an equally fair chance the buses could go to the local scheme.

I'd say it's 50-50. If FB is slow getting the XD40s wrapped, it could be something similar happening at KB. Two buses don't need to be wrapped now, but they might do it in a month with more additions. Also 5439 did not come back out ever since its first revenue run on the Bx15. 5441 hasn't come back out either. Anything is bound to occur.

13 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I would say I agree with the statement.....

But, Flatbush is very slowly converting their XD40s into the local scheme. And if KB is fighting to keep their buses, and more novas are supposedly due to go to the bronx (including kingsbridge, as there are 8 XD60s that need to be moved from there and that's just enough FB Novas able to move for a fair trade if enough swaps happen citywide), there might be an equally fair chance the buses could go to the local scheme.

I'd say it's 50-50. If FB is slow getting the XD40s wrapped, it could be something similar happening at KB. Two buses don't need to be wrapped now, but they might do it in a month with more additions. Also 5439 did not come back out ever since its first revenue run on the Bx15. 5441 hasn't come back out either. Anything is bound to occur.

As of the 13th, 5439 is still in the SBS scheme, and 5441 hasn't seen service since it left Flatbush. The XD40s at Flatbush are a different case, as they won't be going back into regular SBS service, and there's already a local scheme variant of the XD40s. The two Novas at Kingsbridge could easily get moved somewhere else and be placed back into SBS service, or those Novas at Flatbush could come to Kingsbridge, only time will tell I guess. As far as I know, there isn't a local scheme wrap available for the LFSA smartbus (not that it wouldn't be easy to make, just a little manipulation of the blue LFS scheme and boom, done) 

But hey, anything's possible. I put my 2 cents in but at the end of the day, this is the MTA we're talking about. As always, the best course of action here is to wait and see.

Would it be possible to Frankenstein an XD60 from an 2011 XD60 (#47xx) and a 2016 or newer XD60 (#6xxx) if their respective counterparts got into an accident? I hear for the most part they are the same bus model but one is more computerized.

And a follow up similar question, is it feasible for a NovaBus 1st gen LFSA and a Smart bus gen to do the same?

6 hours ago, Calvin said:

According to media, NYC schools are closed till April 20th, I wonder if the schedules are on a closed run basics (could be more to the news soon)

I highly doubt it. A month of school closed runs? listen, certain lines loose quite a few runs when schools are closed (B49 for example) and depending on the run structure, certain operators fall to the extra list or perform a modified version of their run (without the school trippers) i can absolutely see school trips being cut, however, certain operators don't finish their day after a tripper, so we'll definitely see how they redesign the runs accordingly. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

For those of you wondering, here are all the MetroCard Transfer Exceptions:

All transfers are good for 2 hours .

EXCEPTION: A three-hour transfer window applies from transfers from any subway station to the Q22, Q113, and Q114 routes of MTA Bus, and the n31, n32 and n33 routes of the Nassau Inter-County Express.

MetroCard transfers are good for one connecting trip on any other local or express bus service, New York City Subway, or Bee-Line buses (restrictions apply).EXCEPTIONS: Two transfers are available with MetroCard for the following transfers. The transfers must be made in order or in reverse order, and the 2-hour rule applies.

Between bus routes crossing the Staten Island Railway south of the Staten Island Expressway, the Staten Island Railway through St. George Ferry Terminal, and then any MTA local bus or subway service below Chambers Street in lower Manhattan.

Between the :bus_bullet_b61:, :bus_bullet_b62:, and any bus route connecting with either the :bus_bullet_b61: or the :bus_bullet_b62:.

Between the :bus_bullet_b70:, S53, and any bus route connecting with the S53.

Between the Q22, Q35, and the (2) and (5) trains at the Flatbush Avenue–Brooklyn College station.

Between the Q22, Q52 Select Bus Service or Q53 Select Bus Service, and the A train at the Rockaway Boulevard station.

Between the Q29, Q33, and Q72.

Transfers with coins are good for use on one connecting local bus route.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTA_Regional_Bus_Operations#Fares