BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you wondering, here are all the MetroCard Transfer Exceptions:

All transfers are good for 2 hours .

EXCEPTION: A three-hour transfer window applies from transfers from any subway station to the Q22, Q113, and Q114 routes of MTA Bus, and the n31, n32 and n33 routes of the Nassau Inter-County Express.

MetroCard transfers are good for one connecting trip on any other local or express bus service, New York City Subway, or Bee-Line buses (restrictions apply).EXCEPTIONS: Two transfers are available with MetroCard for the following transfers. The transfers must be made in order or in reverse order, and the 2-hour rule applies.

Between bus routes crossing the Staten Island Railway south of the Staten Island Expressway, the Staten Island Railway through St. George Ferry Terminal, and then any MTA local bus or subway service below Chambers Street in lower Manhattan.

Between the :bus_bullet_b61:, :bus_bullet_b62:, and any bus route connecting with either the :bus_bullet_b61: or the :bus_bullet_b62:.

Between the :bus_bullet_b70:, S53, and any bus route connecting with the S53.

Between the Q22, Q35, and the (2) and (5) trains at the Flatbush Avenue–Brooklyn College station.

Between the Q22, Q52 Select Bus Service or Q53 Select Bus Service, and the A train at the Rockaway Boulevard station.

Between the Q29, Q33, and Q72.

Transfers with coins are good for use on one connecting local bus route.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTA_Regional_Bus_Operations#Fares

On 3/16/2020 at 12:42 AM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I highly doubt it. A month of school closed runs? listen, certain lines loose quite a few runs when schools are closed (B49 for example) and depending on the run structure, certain operators fall to the extra list or perform a modified version of their run (without the school trippers) i can absolutely see school trips being cut, however, certain operators don't finish their day after a tripper, so we'll definitely see how they redesign the runs accordingly. 

Speaking only from a Staten Island Division perspective:

- School "pieces" are incorporated into someone's picked run as part of their run line. They appear a lot in express runs, but can be found in local runs and interlined runs.
- Each pick that has school pieces haves two lines; lets say run 5/SIM1. There would be 5/SIM1 S and 5/SIM1 C. S = School Open and C = School Closed. Bus Operators will simply adhere to that schedule when we are either school open or school closed. So no "redesign" or intervention by management is needed.
- Downsides: Extra service from these school runs means less options at those times for people and bus operators get a pay cut as the school closed runs have less run pay (example 5/SIM1 pays 10 hours School Open, now pays 8 hours School Closed).

Edited by 161 New York

7 hours ago, 161 New York said:

Speaking only from a Staten Island Division perspective:

- School "pieces" are incorporated into someone's picked run as part of their run line. They appear a lot in express runs, but can be found in local runs and interlined runs.
- Each pick that has school pieces haves two lines; lets say run 5/SIM1. There would be 5/SIM1 S and 5/SIM1 C. S = School Open and C = School Closed. Bus Operators will simply adhere to that schedule when we are either school open or school closed. So no "redesign" or intervention by management is needed.
- Downsides: Extra service from these school runs means less options at those times for people and bus operators get a pay cut as the school closed runs have less run pay (example 5/SIM1 pays 10 hours School Open, now pays 8 hours School Closed).

same in OA & Bk. my point was to convey that there won't be a complete overhaul mid-pick to runs just because of the school & business closures... it's already been preordained. some depots/lines don't have school open/closed paddles as you know, where your run # is your run #... other places (like a Flatbush) it's very different, where you pick for both. i was attempting to be slightly vague in my response without giving away too much. regardless, everyone will work/get paid... they'll find something for us to do... unless something changes (god-forbid employees start turning up ill) 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry
"redesign" was a poor choice of phrase... could've said whatever mgmt. implements as far as utilizing school open, closed, modified weekday, etc.

7 hours ago, Calvin said:

Upcoming spring pick is cancelled and future picks until further notice. 

i heard that. imo no surprise there. definitely living in a world of uncertainty. way too many moving parts to define what level(s) of service to provide going forward, letalone if it will be safe to provide service in the first place, rapid or surface. 

Quick question about the B13. I know the B13 is out of Fresh Pond, but wasn’t it out of Grand Ave at some point because I could have sworn I’ve seen GA buses on the route and it caught me off guard to see a Orion VII OG on the B13 a few weeks ago since what I usually catch are XD40s and occasionally a Orion VII NG. 

3 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Quick question about the B13. I know the B13 is out of Fresh Pond, but wasn’t it out of Grand Ave at some point because I could have sworn I’ve seen GA buses on the route and it caught me off guard to see a Orion VII OG on the B13 a few weeks ago since what I usually catch are XD40s and occasionally a Orion VII NG. 

It was at Grand up until January of last year.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

As of 1/6/19, the B13 route has been based out of Fresh Pond Depot (just like before the Grand Avenue Depot was built).

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Ridership across the subway and bus systems are extremely low, why are we still running buses that are carrying air and why cant we put the buses onto a saturday schedule?

From the other posts on here, sounds like no big changes can be made until the next pick period

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Ridership across the subway and bus systems are extremely low, why are we still running buses that are carrying air and why cant we put the buses onto a saturday schedule?

I'll just say this.... Main thing I've noticed on the B35 here is (an appearance of a) shift/balance of peak ridership to mid-day ridership... Buses aren't as jampacked as they normally are during peak hours, but I am seeing jampacked buses just going to the store at 1 & 2 in the afternoon....

On the B46, yeah there's less people taking it during peak times, but I wouldn't say it's anything catastrophic.... The thing that jumps out to me about the B46 is that buses aren't bunching nearly as much (bunching is still going on w/ the B35 though)....

Can't speak for any other routes... Maybe I'll walk over to KCH later on, or sometime tomorrow to check out how things are on the B12.... Haven't had a reason as of late to venture over that way this past week or so....

----------------------

That's actually not a bad idea for a discussion.... How, or to what extent is your quote-unquote home route, abnormal.

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

It helps limit the amount of people per bus and spread people out, and allows for buses to not be too crowded. Of course, that's not always the case. There's still people who need to go to work, and you can't afford to have those people get sick. It would be too difficult to figure out where essential workers are coming from and such and then make a schedule for that. It's not a fast process either. Keep in mind that Saturday schedules for quite a lot of bus routes tend to be terrible when compared to weekday schedules, especially during the AM and PM peaks.

Somewhat off topic, but you would think that this social distancing thing would make people selling candies for "donations" at least stay inside for the time being, since much of nobody wants to be approached. Yet, some women came up to me, shortly after leaving the subway station a few days ago in Manhattan.

32 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I'll just say this.... Main thing I've noticed on the B35 here is (an appearance of a) shift/balance of peak ridership to mid-day ridership... Buses aren't as jampacked as they normally are during peak hours, but I am seeing jampacked buses just going to the store at 1 & 2 in the afternoon....

On the B46, yeah there's less people taking it during peak times, but I wouldn't say it's anything catastrophic.... The thing that jumps out to me about the B46 is that buses aren't bunching nearly as much (bunching is still going on w/ the B35 though)....

Can't speak for any other routes... Maybe I'll walk over to KCH later on, or sometime tomorrow to check out how things are on the B12.... Haven't had a reason as of late to venture over that way this past week or so....

----------------------

That's actually not a bad idea for a discussion.... How, or to what extent is your quote-unquote home route, abnormal.

I've been doing stuff from home, so I haven't really had a chance to go outside much to begin with. However, I have noticed, on the Q47 I was on a few days ago, I was the only one on the thing (Marine Air Terminal bound) until 69th Street (7), and I got on at Eliot Avenue. The Q53 is also relatively empty. It's kinda interesting to see artic routes (which tend to be packed throughout the day) with a handful of people on. 

The Q58 is a tossup. Some buses have decent loads, others are more on the emptier side.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

49 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

For me....the Q24 and Q41 have seemed to be fairly normal(including the Q24's bunching on an EMPTY ATLANTIC AVENUE). But (E) trains......damn near empty cars after 8PM. It's pretty surreal to see that.

Bunching will happen at anytime of day, regardless of traffic. There's B/Os who are money hungry that like to screw up their entire paddle for an extra $5 at the end of the day. 

On the Staten Island side of things, rush hour, ferry boats are about 2 bus loads full. About 100 -200 people per boat vs 3,000 on average. 

S79 has been pretty empty shockingly. This morning there were buses with maybe 1-2 standees (even with the front being blocked off). Ferry routes average about 10-15 per bus. No standees on express buses (SIM1 sees about 10 per bus). 

Traffic has actually been BEAUTIFUL across the island. 

17 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Somewhat off topic, but you would think that this social distancing thing would make people selling candies for "donations" at least stay inside for the time being, since much of nobody wants to be approached. Yet, some women came up to me, shortly after leaving the subway station a few days ago in Manhattan.

Nah, I expect more hustlers to be out & about; scared money don't make no money & a sucker is born every minute... Or, being PC about it, "you don't know until you try".... Folks aren't going to give a shit about social distancing when they're trying to get what you've got, or are otherwise in need of help....

I read an article earlier this morning that stated that there were so many UI claims being made on the NYS website, that the site crashed.... People are getting laid off left & right...

15 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

For me....the Q24 and Q41 have seemed to be fairly normal(including the Q24's bunching on an EMPTY ATLANTIC AVENUE). But (E) trains......damn near empty cars after 8PM. It's pretty surreal to see that.

Last time I even took the subway before the mass hysteria in the US surrounding this elmhurstvirus mess, was about what, 2 or 3 weeks ago, out to CI.... Is it true that there's more homeless people infesting the subways, now that they're emptier?

As for the Q24, why am I not surprised...

46 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Bunching will happen at anytime of day, regardless of traffic. There's B/Os who are money hungry that like to screw up their entire paddle for an extra $5 at the end of the day.

While some of that is true, until you've actually experienced the Q24, some of that simply cannot be said. This is a clear cut matter of experiencing the line for yourself, and some of the folks on here have experienced the same things as myself.

7 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Last time I even took the subway before the mass hysteria in the US surrounding this elmhurstvirus mess, was about what, 2 or 3 weeks ago, out to CI.... Is it true that there's more homeless people infesting the subways, now that they're emptier?

As for the Q24, why am I not surprised...

I personally haven't seen much of a change in homeless people(one to two homeless folks in a car, not per car) on the (E), but the trains have been significantly emptier.

Normally, I'd catch the (E) at 14th or West 4th from Uptown if I wanted a seat(or take the (7) to the (E) )...now, if I'm in Midtown, I can go to 34th Street or 42nd Street and catch a significantly empty (E) with tons of seats available.

I took this pic last night while waiting for the E to go to Manhattan, this was around 7PM.

FB_IMG_1584652826532.jpg

Edited by Cait Sith

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

An TA employee at Fresh Pond Depot has Corona Virus... 30 runs had to be cancelled due to so many B/O's calling in sick..

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-fresh-pond-bus-depot-mta-20200319-kt3dou65vbahndok3mtscc4riy-story.html

sad to see. also, sad to say, but it was only a matter of time.

Since the coronavirus pandemic is going to severely impact the MTA's already-dire financial straits, what are some potential solutions we can think of from the bus front to save cash?

For me, the most obvious one is to shift all bus operations to private contractors, as NYCDOT used to do, on a depot-by-depot basis to ensure market competition. As controversial as it sounds, this may be the best course of action, as if the pandemic lasts as long as it is expected to, the MTA isn't getting back on its feet without massive cuts which will make 2010 look like a minor service reduction.

Another possibility is simply to abandon territory where the MTA competes with dollar vans, as many cash-strapped transit agencies did in the ex-Soviet Union during the 1990s.

Neither of these are very appealing, but they may need to be done. Of course, the obvious answer is to break up the unions, but that's never getting off the ground.