Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I would say I agree with the statement.....

But, Flatbush is very slowly converting their XD40s into the local scheme. And if KB is fighting to keep their buses, and more novas are supposedly due to go to the bronx (including kingsbridge, as there are 8 XD60s that need to be moved from there and that's just enough FB Novas able to move for a fair trade if enough swaps happen citywide), there might be an equally fair chance the buses could go to the local scheme.

 

I'd say it's 50-50. If FB is slow getting the XD40s wrapped, it could be something similar happening at KB. Two buses don't need to be wrapped now, but they might do it in a month with more additions. Also 5439 did not come back out ever since its first revenue run on the Bx15. 5441 hasn't come back out either. Anything is bound to occur.

As of the 13th, 5439 is still in the SBS scheme, and 5441 hasn't seen service since it left Flatbush. The XD40s at Flatbush are a different case, as they won't be going back into regular SBS service, and there's already a local scheme variant of the XD40s. The two Novas at Kingsbridge could easily get moved somewhere else and be placed back into SBS service, or those Novas at Flatbush could come to Kingsbridge, only time will tell I guess. As far as I know, there isn't a local scheme wrap available for the LFSA smartbus (not that it wouldn't be easy to make, just a little manipulation of the blue LFS scheme and boom, done) 

But hey, anything's possible. I put my 2 cents in but at the end of the day, this is the MTA we're talking about. As always, the best course of action here is to wait and see.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be possible to Frankenstein an XD60 from an 2011 XD60 (#47xx) and a 2016 or newer XD60 (#6xxx) if their respective counterparts got into an accident? I hear for the most part they are the same bus model but one is more computerized.

And a follow up similar question, is it feasible for a NovaBus 1st gen LFSA and a Smart bus gen to do the same?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

According to media, NYC schools are closed till April 20th, I wonder if the schedules are on a closed run basics (could be more to the news soon)

Edited by Calvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Calvin said:

According to media, NYC schools are closed till April 20th, I wonder if the schedules are on a closed run basics (could be more to the news soon)

Doubt they’ll do school trippers (like Casey Stengel buses on the Q17).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Calvin said:

According to media, NYC schools are closed till April 20th, I wonder if the schedules are on a closed run basics (could be more to the news soon)

...... at the earliest 4/20/20. Closure could extend until June. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Calvin said:

According to media, NYC schools are closed till April 20th, I wonder if the schedules are on a closed run basics (could be more to the news soon)

I highly doubt it. A month of school closed runs? listen, certain lines loose quite a few runs when schools are closed (B49 for example) and depending on the run structure, certain operators fall to the extra list or perform a modified version of their run (without the school trippers) i can absolutely see school trips being cut, however, certain operators don't finish their day after a tripper, so we'll definitely see how they redesign the runs accordingly. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

...... at the earliest 4/20/20. Closure could extend until June. 

Yeah, no way in hell they reopen this school year. Here's hoping it opens as normal in September.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Yeah, no way in hell they reopen this school year. Here's hoping it opens as normal in September.

Agreed. September 2020 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you wondering, here are all the MetroCard Transfer Exceptions:

 

All transfers are good for 2 hours .

EXCEPTION: A three-hour transfer window applies from transfers from any subway station to the Q22, Q113, and Q114 routes of MTA Bus, and the n31, n32 and n33 routes of the Nassau Inter-County Express.

MetroCard transfers are good for one connecting trip on any other local or express bus service, New York City Subway, or Bee-Line buses (restrictions apply).EXCEPTIONS: Two transfers are available with MetroCard for the following transfers. The transfers must be made in order or in reverse order, and the 2-hour rule applies.

Between bus routes crossing the Staten Island Railway south of the Staten Island Expressway, the Staten Island Railway through St. George Ferry Terminal, and then any MTA local bus or subway service below Chambers Street in lower Manhattan.

Between the :bus_bullet_b61:, :bus_bullet_b62:, and any bus route connecting with either the :bus_bullet_b61: or the :bus_bullet_b62:.

Between the :bus_bullet_b70:, S53, and any bus route connecting with the S53.

Between the Q22, Q35, and the (2) and (5) trains at the Flatbush Avenue–Brooklyn College station.

Between the Q22, Q52 Select Bus Service or Q53 Select Bus Service, and the A train at the Rockaway Boulevard station.

Between the Q29, Q33, and Q72.

Transfers with coins are good for use on one connecting local bus route.

 

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTA_Regional_Bus_Operations#Fares

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More LED headlights (a la 4562) showing up on the NGs. One of the Manhattanville 396x buses, I forget the exact number, just had them installed. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

More LED headlights (a la 4562) showing up on the NGs. One of the Manhattanville 396x buses, I forget the exact number, just had them installed. 

Hopefully 3960 (my favorite bus).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upcoming spring pick is cancelled and future picks until further notice. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2020 at 12:42 AM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I highly doubt it. A month of school closed runs? listen, certain lines loose quite a few runs when schools are closed (B49 for example) and depending on the run structure, certain operators fall to the extra list or perform a modified version of their run (without the school trippers) i can absolutely see school trips being cut, however, certain operators don't finish their day after a tripper, so we'll definitely see how they redesign the runs accordingly. 

 

Speaking only from a Staten Island Division perspective:

- School "pieces" are incorporated into someone's picked run as part of their run line. They appear a lot in express runs, but can be found in local runs and interlined runs.
- Each pick that has school pieces haves two lines; lets say run 5/SIM1. There would be 5/SIM1 S and 5/SIM1 C. S = School Open and C = School Closed. Bus Operators will simply adhere to that schedule when we are either school open or school closed. So no "redesign" or intervention by management is needed.
- Downsides: Extra service from these school runs means less options at those times for people and bus operators get a pay cut as the school closed runs have less run pay (example 5/SIM1 pays 10 hours School Open, now pays 8 hours School Closed).

 

Edited by 161 New York
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, 161 New York said:

 

Speaking only from a Staten Island Division perspective:

- School "pieces" are incorporated into someone's picked run as part of their run line. They appear a lot in express runs, but can be found in local runs and interlined runs.
- Each pick that has school pieces haves two lines; lets say run 5/SIM1. There would be 5/SIM1 S and 5/SIM1 C. S = School Open and C = School Closed. Bus Operators will simply adhere to that schedule when we are either school open or school closed. So no "redesign" or intervention by management is needed.
- Downsides: Extra service from these school runs means less options at those times for people and bus operators get a pay cut as the school closed runs have less run pay (example 5/SIM1 pays 10 hours School Open, now pays 8 hours School Closed).

 

same in OA & Bk. my point was to convey that there won't be a complete overhaul mid-pick to runs just because of the school & business closures... it's already been preordained. some depots/lines don't have school open/closed paddles as you know, where your run # is your run #... other places (like a Flatbush) it's very different, where you pick for both. i was attempting to be slightly vague in my response without giving away too much. regardless, everyone will work/get paid... they'll find something for us to do... unless something changes (god-forbid employees start turning up ill) 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry
"redesign" was a poor choice of phrase... could've said whatever mgmt. implements as far as utilizing school open, closed, modified weekday, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Calvin said:

Upcoming spring pick is cancelled and future picks until further notice. 

i heard that. imo no surprise there. definitely living in a world of uncertainty. way too many moving parts to define what level(s) of service to provide going forward, letalone if it will be safe to provide service in the first place, rapid or surface. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ridership across the subway and bus systems are extremely low, why are we still running buses that are carrying air and why cant we put the buses onto a saturday schedule?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Ridership across the subway and bus systems are extremely low, why are we still running buses that are carrying air and why cant we put the buses onto a saturday schedule?

The B57 (believe it or not) has had some full buses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question about the B13. I know the B13 is out of Fresh Pond, but wasn’t it out of Grand Ave at some point because I could have sworn I’ve seen GA buses on the route and it caught me off guard to see a Orion VII OG on the B13 a few weeks ago since what I usually catch are XD40s and occasionally a Orion VII NG. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Quick question about the B13. I know the B13 is out of Fresh Pond, but wasn’t it out of Grand Ave at some point because I could have sworn I’ve seen GA buses on the route and it caught me off guard to see a Orion VII OG on the B13 a few weeks ago since what I usually catch are XD40s and occasionally a Orion VII NG. 

It was at Grand up until January of last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Quick question about the B13. I know the B13 is out of Fresh Pond, but wasn’t it out of Grand Ave at some point because I could have sworn I’ve seen GA buses on the route and it caught me off guard to see a Orion VII OG on the B13 a few weeks ago since what I usually catch are XD40s and occasionally a Orion VII NG. 

As of 1/6/19, the B13 route has been based out of Fresh Pond Depot (just like before the Grand Avenue Depot was built).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Ridership across the subway and bus systems are extremely low, why are we still running buses that are carrying air and why cant we put the buses onto a saturday schedule?

From the other posts on here, sounds like no big changes can be made until the next pick period

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Ridership across the subway and bus systems are extremely low, why are we still running buses that are carrying air and why cant we put the buses onto a saturday schedule?

I'll just say this.... Main thing I've noticed on the B35 here is (an appearance of a) shift/balance of peak ridership to mid-day ridership... Buses aren't as jampacked as they normally are during peak hours, but I am seeing jampacked buses just going to the store at 1 & 2 in the afternoon....

On the B46, yeah there's less people taking it during peak times, but I wouldn't say it's anything catastrophic.... The thing that jumps out to me about the B46 is that buses aren't bunching nearly as much (bunching is still going on w/ the B35 though)....

Can't speak for any other routes... Maybe I'll walk over to KCH later on, or sometime tomorrow to check out how things are on the B12.... Haven't had a reason as of late to venture over that way this past week or so....

----------------------

That's actually not a bad idea for a discussion.... How, or to what extent is your quote-unquote home route, abnormal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Ridership across the subway and bus systems are extremely low, why are we still running buses that are carrying air and why cant we put the buses onto a saturday schedule?

It helps limit the amount of people per bus and spread people out, and allows for buses to not be too crowded. Of course, that's not always the case. There's still people who need to go to work, and you can't afford to have those people get sick. It would be too difficult to figure out where essential workers are coming from and such and then make a schedule for that. It's not a fast process either. Keep in mind that Saturday schedules for quite a lot of bus routes tend to be terrible when compared to weekday schedules, especially during the AM and PM peaks.

Somewhat off topic, but you would think that this social distancing thing would make people selling candies for "donations" at least stay inside for the time being, since much of nobody wants to be approached. Yet, some women came up to me, shortly after leaving the subway station a few days ago in Manhattan.

32 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I'll just say this.... Main thing I've noticed on the B35 here is (an appearance of a) shift/balance of peak ridership to mid-day ridership... Buses aren't as jampacked as they normally are during peak hours, but I am seeing jampacked buses just going to the store at 1 & 2 in the afternoon....

On the B46, yeah there's less people taking it during peak times, but I wouldn't say it's anything catastrophic.... The thing that jumps out to me about the B46 is that buses aren't bunching nearly as much (bunching is still going on w/ the B35 though)....

Can't speak for any other routes... Maybe I'll walk over to KCH later on, or sometime tomorrow to check out how things are on the B12.... Haven't had a reason as of late to venture over that way this past week or so....

----------------------

That's actually not a bad idea for a discussion.... How, or to what extent is your quote-unquote home route, abnormal.

I've been doing stuff from home, so I haven't really had a chance to go outside much to begin with. However, I have noticed, on the Q47 I was on a few days ago, I was the only one on the thing (Marine Air Terminal bound) until 69th Street (7), and I got on at Eliot Avenue. The Q53 is also relatively empty. It's kinda interesting to see artic routes (which tend to be packed throughout the day) with a handful of people on. 

The Q58 is a tossup. Some buses have decent loads, others are more on the emptier side.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.