BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

13 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

An TA employee at Fresh Pond Depot has Corona Virus... 30 runs had to be cancelled due to so many B/O's calling in sick..

Now it makes sense why the attached "Delays" are posted on the MTA website...I love what they say as well - "...while our employees take important precautions against COVID-19."

Svc Advisory.jpg

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, +Young+ said:

...I love what they say as well - "...while our employees take important precautions against COVID-19."

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Something's clearly out of place here....

Apparently that's not the case since this is now affecting other depots, including Casey Stengel...

2SvcAdvisory.jpg

Starting Monday, local routes and SBS will be at a fare of $0.

Only the rear doors are opened but front is only when there's a customer with a wheelchair (Artic: middle/rear). 

Edited by Calvin
mistaken info

20 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Starting Monday, local routes and SBS will be at a fare of $0.

Only the rear doors are opened but front is only when there's a customer with a wheelchair (Artic: middle/rear). 

No, SBS and express are still full-fare. Local is free since that's the service where they couldn't guarantee fare collection.

I assume the state decided the MTA was losing so much money anyway, and this might make B/Os a little safer, so they went ahead with it.

With NYC being the epicenter of COVID-19, might it be a good idea to run on local buses on a Saturday schedule or (for routes that don't run weekends, a supplemental?) (SBS would still run.)

How a spring pick will be done will be interesting since ridership has collapsed. 

Some service changes I would propose in the interim (citywide - local service only):

Brooklyn:

• B2: Service temporarily suspended; B100 service available 750 feet away on Fillmore Avenue
  • B6, B35, B41 (Bergen Beach): No Limited service
  • B8: No direct service into the VA Hospital (buses would stop on Poly Place)
  • B8, B9, B11, B17, B46 (Local and SBS), B52, B63, B65, B82 (Local and SBS): One fewer bus per hour
  • B15: Terminate alternate airport trips at Lefferts AirTrain
  • B20: No short-turn trips (Broadway Junction to Louis Pink Houses)
  • B41: Bergen Beach trips end at Empire Boulevard
  • B44 SBS: No short turns
  • B46 Local and SBS: alternate trips start and end at Fillmore Avenue (Avenue N for SBS)
  • B49: alternate southbound buses bound for Manhattan Beach terminate at Sheepshead Bay (B)(Q) 
  • B60: some Canarsie bound trips terminate at Rockaway Parkway (L) 

Bronx:

• Bx1: No Limited Service
  • Bx5: Eastbound service terminates at Pelham Bay Park (6), alternate trips terminate at White Plains Road, using West Farms buses
  • Bx6 (Local): westbound service terminates at Yankee Stadium.
  • Bx9, Bx11, Bx21, Bx35, Bx36: One fewer bus per hour
  • Bx12 (Local): Alternate westbound trips terminate at Grand Concourse.
  • Bx12 (SBS): Eastbound service terminates at Pelham Bay Park.
  • Bx15: Short turns eliminated.
  • Bx20: Service temporarily suspended
  • Bx22: All northbound service terminates at Fordham Road (B)(D) 
  • Bx26: One fewer bus per hour.
  • Bx27: Alternating trips on weekdays terminate at Morrison Avenue (6)
  • Bx28/38: Service combined, no service directly into Bay Plaza (buses stop on Bartow Avenue).
  • Bx36: Alternating trips end at University Avenue and Washington Bridge.
  • Bx41 (SBS): Temporarily suspended
  • Bx46: Temporarily suspended

Manhattan:

• M60 SBS: Reduce to 12 minute headways from 7-10
  • M98, M106: Temporarily suspended
  • M102/M103: Temporarily combined. (M101 makes local stops north of 116 Street.)

Queens:

• Q3: Most southbound trips end at Rockaway Boulevard. Trips into JFK Airport operate only every 30-36 minutes.
  • Q4: AM limited stop from Jamaica Center suspended...local trips start and end at Springfield Boulevard.
  • Q5: service to Green Acres on alternating trips only. Other trips terminate at Hook Creek Boulevard and Sunrise Highway (Green Acres Commons has essential stores, but in the mall proper, only Target would be considered essential).
  • Q6: Alternating southbound trips terminate at JFK Depot.
  • Q10: Alternating local trips terminate at North Conduit Avenue. Alternating Limited trips terminate at Lefferts AirTrain.
  • Q20B, Q42: Supplemental schedule operates.
  • Q25/34: Limited service suspended. Q34 only operates from Whitestone to Flushing on a supplemental schedule.
  • Q27: No AM limited stop from Main Street (7) , all service bypasses CUNY QCC; 8-minute headways all day instead of 5-7.
  • Q30: No service to CUNY QCC; one fewer bus per hour.
  • Q33: Service extended into LaGuardia Airport.
  • Q35: Service every 15 minutes all day (instead of 10 during the rush hour).
  • Q36: Supplemental Little Neck Parkway service
  • Q37: All service bypasses Aqueduct Racetrack/Resorts World NYC; service every 8 minutes during the rush hour.
  • Q44: Service every 6-10 minutes instead of every 4-8.
  • Q47: Service runs to 80th and Myrtle (with The Shops at Atlas Park closed).
  • Q58: Limited service suspended.
  • Q64: AM trips starting at Parsons suspended, service every 8-12 minutes.
  • Q65: Limited service suspended, alternate northbound service terminates at Main Street (7)
  • Q69: One fewer bus per hour.
  • Q70: Temporarily suspended.
  • Q83, Q84, Q85: Limited service suspended. Additionally, on the Q85, alternate Green Acres trips terminate at Hook Creek Boulevard.
  • Q113: Temporarily suspended.

Staten Island:

• All Limited service except for S89 and S93: Temporarily suspended.
  • S44 and S59: the northern stop at Staten Island Mall (Macy's) will be skipped. The southern stop will be made as that services Lidl, a supermarket.
  • S55 and S56: service into SI Mall starts and ends at Lidl.
  • S61: service every 20 minutes. Trips operate into SI Mall at Lidl to connect with the S79 SBS.
  • S62 and S93: Alternate trips to and from Travis, and all S93 service, will start and terminate at Jewett Avenue. (The CSI campus is currently sealed off.)
  • S79 SBS: One fewer bus per hour. Additionally, all trips will start and end at the Lidl bus stop at Staten Island Mall. No Marsh Avenue service or Macy's stop.

4 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

With NYC being the epicenter of COVID-19, might it be a good idea to run on local buses on a Saturday schedule or (for routes that don't run weekends, a supplemental?) (SBS would still run.)

How a spring pick will be done will be interesting since ridership has collapsed.

Staten Island:

• All Limited service except for S89 and S93: Temporarily suspended.
  • S44 and S59: the northern stop at Staten Island Mall (Macy's) will be skipped. The southern stop will be made as that services Lidl, a supermarket.
  • S55 and S56: service into SI Mall starts and ends at Lidl.
  • S61: service every 20 minutes. Trips operate into SI Mall at Lidl to connect with the S79 SBS.
  • S62 and S93: Alternate trips to and from Travis, and all S93 service, will start and terminate at Jewett Avenue. (The CSI campus is currently sealed off.)
  • S79 SBS: One fewer bus per hour. Additionally, all trips will start and end at the Lidl bus stop at Staten Island Mall. No Marsh Avenue service or Macy's stop.

-How a spring pick will be done will be interesting since ridership has collapsed.
There will be no spring pick for the foreseeable future.

- S44 and S59: the northern stop at Staten Island Mall (Macy's) will be skipped. The southern stop will be made as that services Lidl, a supermarket.
Makes no sense, we do have people that walk from that stop towards residences on Richmond Hill Road and beyond.

-S55 and S56: service into SI Mall starts and ends at Lidl.
Makes no sense, this would screw anyone that is coming out of Stop & Shop on Platinum Ave, a significantly larger supermarket (by leaps and bounds) than Lidl.

- S62 and S93: Alternate trips to and from Travis, and all S93 service, will start and terminate at Jewett Avenue. (The CSI campus is currently sealed off.)
I agree with the concept of alternate trips with Travis being a terminal for both the s62 and s93. S62 trips that are scheduled to meet the ferry will leave Travis at that time and will alternate with the s93.

-S79 SBS: One fewer bus per hour. Additionally, all trips will start and end at the Lidl bus stop at Staten Island Mall. No Marsh Avenue service or Macy's stop.
No need, we have to turn around and start somewhere.

There needs to be something done with the s40/s90 for Amazon workers. I am hearing reports that ridership is still heavy due to the operations at Matrix Park.

4 hours ago, 161 New York said:

There needs to be something done with the s40/s90 for Amazon workers. I am hearing reports that ridership is still heavy due to the operations at Matrix Park.

I'd be the one to walk to Victory Blvd and catch the S62 or express bus lol

6 hours ago, 161 New York said:

I didn't argue for S40 service reductions, as the North Shore needs the service (although I would say there needs to be more even spacing, especially in the PM rush) with service to Matrix Park. I have to wonder if there might be justification for an S48 variation to Matrix Park as well (I'll call it the S49), operating along South Avenue and Edward Curry Avenue to Matrix Park. (I see the S46 as being too slow for a variation, plus it has a similar catchment area up to Castleton Depot.)

Resurrecting the S62 branch to The Teleport doesn't sound too bad either, except rerouting it to Matrix Park.

Edited by aemoreira81

I thought it was best to issue a trivia quiz of my own design. It also includes a few trivia questions on bus routes as well as transit history, but most of it centers around the subway. There were a few questions I had to change around, but I hope you guys have fun with this.

Here's the link: https://forms.gle/m8T4ciyFuc8bBgqA6

Edited by 4 via Mosholu

7 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Q70 is being converted to artics in April 2020 and Woodside bound buses will use Woodside Ave instead of Roosevelt Ave. Source is NYCT board docs for the March 25th meeting

You know what they're not gonna need in about a month? Artics.