BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On 3/25/2020 at 11:45 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

Too bad they didn’t order more buses for MTA bus with this order. If they ordered more buses they wouldn’t have to keep those 2017 XD60s at LGA. 
Plus I know it’s been on the table for a while for a possible Q6 and Q64 conversion so it makes me wonder why it hasn’t been a priority. 

You must have missed the memo on the Q64 and Q10 being combined lol

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Lot of interesting new layovers showing up since all the buses are running so hot. I won't name all the spots since I'm not so sure dispatchers are in favor of it, but I'm seeing a few places near the end of the line where B/Os are pulling over and shutting off their engines, then restarting and heading to the terminals.

Quiet. Keep it to yourself. Let’s not mess it up for the drivers. However, good observation. 

3 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

You must have missed the memo on the Q64 and Q10 being combined lol

I don’t even take that idea seriously because it’s bound to fail on the first day. 

I might have been able to get behind it if they suggested that it would replace the Q10 and Q64 late nights only as a way to improve connectivity and make travel easier at night. However I’m totally against any full time implementation of a Q10/Q64 combo. 

2 hours ago, Jova42R said:

I made a page for transit fanners looking to fan/codebreak Columbia Transportation:

https://sites.google.com/view/columbia-transportation-fanner/home

Thoughts @B35 via Church @NewFlyer 230 @Future ENY OP @Cait Sith?

Long time ago (around the time this board opened), I had wanted to start my own blog, pertaining to basically anything (NYC) bus route related.... Back when people started creating fantasy bus maps, one of my ultimate projects was to make a 5-borough bus map... I think you can still find the blank bus maps for all 5 boroughs on here (well, if the links aren't dead, which they probably are).... Long story short, procrastination eventually turned into an overall loss of interest....

While I'm not sure if you plan on adding anymore content to it, looks like you have a cool little start-up site here though....

25 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Long time ago (around the time this board opened), I had wanted to start my own blog, pertaining to basically anything (NYC) bus route related.... Back when people started creating fantasy bus maps, one of my ultimate projects was to make a 5-borough bus map... I think you can still find the blank bus maps for all 5 boroughs on here (well, if the links aren't dead, which they probably are).... Long story short, procrastination eventually turned into an overall loss of interest....

While I'm not sure if you plan on adding anymore content to it, looks like you have a cool little start-up site here though....

Thanks! I'm definitely going to add more content! Check back periodically for updates!

52 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Meh, while I get his point, he's being ridiculous with the whole MTA is "straight up going to get people killed" rhetoric.... At the end of the day, it is still public transportation... We're talking about an appx. 40' x 8.5' hunk of metal... This is a matter of the MTA protecting its workers, "straight up".... This goes back to the whole entitlement discussion that myself, @WestFarms36, and @EastFlatbushLarry is having in that "we only do backdoor now" thread.... Nobody is forcing this guy & anyone else with that mindset to take "the most crowded bus going to LGA".... Those last 3 words hurts his case, because the Q70 is not the ONLY bus that goes to LGA, for starters..... Regardless, that 1/3rd of the bus is not going to drastically improve the vitality of any Q70 rider to the tune that's being implicatively conveyed.... If that's going to be his attitude on the matter, then he shouldn't be embarking on a public bus, regardless - since the potential of being very proximate to other human beings is rather high.....

On 3/28/2020 at 10:23 AM, Q43LTD said:

Here's something random:

Back in the late '90's when the PBL's still existed, I saw codebroken JBL bus signed up as a then Q103. I wondered how did that happen since the 103 was then a QSC route?

I believe since they were all owned by the NYCDOT they were able to swap buses around whenever needed and the different bus companies were just like separate depots similar to how MTA bus is today. 

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I believe since they were all owned by the NYCDOT they were able to swap buses around whenever needed and the different bus companies were just like separate depots similar to how MTA bus is today. 

And of course had to be re painted

27 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Has the Express routes picked up some passengers during the weekday even though most of Manhattan is empty? 

The SI express buses has decent ridership from construction workers.. that industry went on for bit longer while everyone else was working from home. But Cuomo suspended construction so it's probably mostly health care workers that live in the outer boroughs but work in a hospital in the city still riding express buses.

They probably are trying to avoid cutting express bus service cause the coaches have reduced capacity due to the first few seats blocked off.

Also, in the case of SI, running ONLY the four off peak routes 24/7 could cause the buses to be overcrowded during the social distancing era.

The BMs are the only express buses that I'm aware of that have an service cut during rush hour. BM1-4 the same buses are serving both midtown and downtown.

Edited by trainfan22

@Yankees4life... Not sure what you're confused about, fam....

Blocking off 1/3rd of the Q70 isn't going to (so-call) "get people killed".... The dude in the tweet is acting like the same amount of people normally cramming onto a 40' bus is being done with the available 2/3rds of the bus.... It's running on a false narrative by way of virtue signalling.

If he's that damn paranoid about his vitality, don't take the bus - simple concept.... The MTA isn't the villain all the damn time.

1 hour ago, Jova42R said:

Is the (MTA) only running specific types of buses on routes due to SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 or not?

Any insight?

Other than what types are quote-unquote normally ran on them? Not to my knowledge....

There's only but so much right-sizing the MTA can do anyway, if that's what you're trying to allude to.

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Other than what types are quote-unquote normally ran on them? Not to my knowledge....

There's only but so much right-sizing the MTA can do anyway, if that's what you're trying to allude to.

I guess he's asking since routes like the Q12 was running standards yesterday.

On 3/31/2020 at 10:41 PM, Calvin said:

Has the Express routes picked up some passengers during the weekday even though most of Manhattan is empty? 

Ive had a max of about 10 people on an express bus, usually more like 3 or 4, and this is during peak travel times in both directions. 

Ever since the roadways have been empty....x63 and x64 ops have been flying through the Van Wyck, I know those operators are happy as hell to finally get some speed on the Van Wyck.

I've also seen x64s and some x63s with literally 0 passengers at Kew Gardens.... if I had started work earlier, I'd definitely take the x64 home. The x68 from my POV, have had less than 10 people in each bus consistently.

I've avoided the (E) altogether now. The homeless situation has gotten to the point where it has become unbearable to ride the (E) from Manhattan after 10pm....I've been taking the LIRR since then, and it's been 6 days since I've got my ticket checked....

I've thought about just taking the (A) to Lefferts and catch the bus or walk, or take it to Broadway Junction for a Q24 or Q56, but eh...LIRR has been good for me.

3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Ever since the roadways have been empty....x63 and x64 ops have been flying through the Van Wyck, I know those operators are happy as hell to finally get some speed on the Van Wyck.

I've also seen x64s and some x63s with literally 0 passengers at Kew Gardens.... if I had started work earlier, I'd definitely take the x64 home. The x68 from my POV, have had less than 10 people in each bus consistently.

I've avoided the (E) altogether now. The homeless situation has gotten to the point where it has become unbearable to ride the (E) from Manhattan after 10pm....I've been taking the LIRR since then, and it's been 6 days since I've got my ticket checked....

I've thought about just taking the (A) to Lefferts and catch the bus or walk, or take it to Broadway Junction for a Q24 or Q56, but eh...LIRR has been good for me.

This is my only concern with this back door boarding and free rides. The trains are filled with homeless now, buses are becoming a free for all in Staten Island with bums and drunks riding around the island...wtf. 

I'm not gonna lie, must be nice with the LIRR situation...I pay $39.50 a day 😐

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888