Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Glad that the Manhattan Division and Queens Division are helping out The Bronx for a bit. 

Yea, as a passenger it's nice to see the other depots coming in clutch.

As a fanner who can't venture out, seeing those Cuomo XD60's and the OG hybrids closer to home were nice too.

Time to hunker down till I'm out of food again tho.

Edited by paulrivera
  • Upvote 1

On 4/5/2020 at 7:12 PM, XBht26 said:

During my QCC days, I’ve caught RTS bus #9250 twice. It had express seats. I’ve caught it on the Q43.

I hated riding the suburbans from QCC some days. The buses weren't meant to handle so much people. Getting off was a chore if you were seated far from the doors. I would avoid them if the crowd going to Flushing was big...

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2020 at 3:07 PM, trainfan22 said:

I thought about suggesting the TA use the local buses on the express routes during this pandemic, to avoid contact with the driver. But two issues...

1)On a weekday schedule, there's probably not enough spare local buses to cover both local and express service, especially during rush hour. 

2) Express bus riders complaining about hard seat buses running on express routes. Listen, were in a pandemic, everybody in NYC has to make sacrifices due to this virus. Riding hard seat buses while the city is in shambles is no big deal. Me personally, I would just be happy a bus shows up at all.

I am so tired of people suggesting what is best for us. Here are the facts:

-I've been kept abreast of the express bus situation via the (MTA) . I received an email with an update on some lines a few days ago.

-Service has been modified where necessary on a line by line basis, based on ridership and the number of drivers available.

-On some lines like the SIM lines, drivers will decide (if available) if they want a local bus for the express bus and they have been running some local buses on the SIMs. NO ONE has been complaining. Stop spreading FALSE information about what we're doing. 

-The following lines have been curtailed or stopped completely:

1. QM18 no longer running.

2. BM1 - BM5 on a Saturday schedule until further notice making all stops. The Downtown Loop and Midtown Super Express trips were discontinued after we suggested having buses make all stops to avoid long waits. Customers Downtown in our group faced long waits due to a lack of drivers while Super Express trips skipped Downtown, etc. Thanks to the (MTA) for listening to our suggestions. They thanked us via social media.

3. QM15 modified (confirming the schedule ASAP).

4. SIMs are scheduled to go to a Sunday schedule starting next Sunday. That would consist of only the SIM1C, SIM3C, SIM4C and SIM33C running. Myself and another Staten Island express bus advocate of another express bus group are advocating for service to the hospitals to continue for healthcare workers as opposed to running lines that may not be needed.

5. X37, X38 no longer running on any modified schedule. X27 and X28 will run a modified Sunday schedule during the week, with service starting at 6am on both lines for essential workers.

I have been speaking with the (MTA) , drivers and other personnel regularly. Some drivers are out sick and quarantining. Others are out as a precaution. Depots that I know were hit hard that run express bus service include Yonkers Depot, Ulmer Park Depot and several others. No depot has been spared, but some depots are worse than others. Staten Island seems to be improving, as more drivers come back.

Precautions being taken to try to reduce the spread:

-Local buses on express lines.

-Drivers receiving gloves and masks. However, some drivers still have not received masks or gloves. Hopefully this issue will improve as time goes on. Justin Brannan, who is in my group helped secure thousands of masks and gloves.

-Curtailing service to mitigate exposure.

All other express bus lines (to my knowledge) are running regular service at the moment, though there may be (and have been) missing buses here and there.

I will post here as I receive updates. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 5

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2020 at 10:58 AM, trainfan22 said:

Haha, at first when you said Liberty Lines Express I thought you was talking about Bee Line which is also called Liberty Lines. Then I realized you are talking about Yonkers Depot.

I'm wondering the same thing, Yonkers has like 80 or 90 buses, it MIGHT be doable if they run a Sunday schedule during the week on express bus routes at Yonkers, and NYCT contributes some buses. There's also the issue of Yonkers drivers being trained on local bus equipment.

If local buses do run on express routes in the masses, the TA is baiting busfans like a mofo to break quarantine to go out and fan this lol. 

I haven't heard of any plans to run local buses on either the Yonkers Depot lines or lines out of Eastchester Depot. Only Staten Island at the moment. Yonkers Depot is already small enough so that the number of drivers on standby versus those out sick has meant that overall they've been able to run a roughly regular schedule. I've been using the express bus here and there and only had one instance where there were missing buses. They've kept regular service otherwise with the usual MCIs.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Upvote 1

On 4/5/2020 at 9:57 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

As as essential hospital worker doing 12-15 hour shifts now to keep hospital equipment working, i gotta tell you that i really look forward to getting on those MCIs and passing out for 30 mins in the cushioned seats. I'm not saying a free ride on a local bus converted to express would be the worst thing, but those express buses really make a big difference to my crappy quality of life at the moment. Just my two cents. 

I am not an essential worker, but do with work some of the major hospitals as clients, which is why I have to go in here and there aside from my food trips. I'm sure it has been tough.  Been checking on the QM1 to ensure that it's been running well. They've been doing a good job overall service wise and I get an update from someone on what's going on regularly, be it a driver or an e-mail from the (MTA) or some other personnel.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There is no QM15, QM16, QM17 or QM18 service until further notice.

These lines apparently are running but none of them are trackable. Unclear at this time what schedule they are on. Working on finding out...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

These lines apparently are running but none of them are trackable. Unclear at this time what schedule they are on. Working on finding out...

Ok... Answer is the QM15, QM16, QM17 and QM18 are on a modified Sunday schedule. Unfortunately, none of these lines have a Sunday schedule, which is why they cannot be tracked on BusTime. Similar to the X37 and X38 situation last week...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I am not an essential worker, but do with work some of the major hospitals as clients, which is why I have to go in here and there aside from my food trips. I'm sure it has been tough.  Been checking on the QM1 to ensure that it's been running well. They've been doing a good job overall service wise and I get an update from someone on what's going on regularly, be it a driver or an e-mail from the (MTA) or some other personnel.

CP service has been quite good considering the situation. I happen to be on the 1:45 QM5 back to queens right now, which was not showing up on bustime for whatever reason. 

Other than friday evening, where I had a 20 minute wait, I have not had to wait long for a bus. Same with the M15, which has been quite good. 

I really hope they keep up the service since there is no way ill be able to work from home. It sort of feels like personalized service which is cool, but I'd be okay with regular crowds and traffic again!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OrionVIIonM79 said:

60 ft lfsa #1209 was running on the m100 last night

That doesn’t seem unusual to me, unless 1209 wasn’t in KB. The M100 runs artics from time to time.

What was unusual to me was seeing 6201 on the Bx9 this morning.

A new XD60 in Nova territory is definitely foreign around these parts.

Posted (edited)

#6201 is on the Bx9, #6037 is on the Bx15, #5525 and 5602 are on the Bx1, and MHV 4093 is on the Bx3

Edited by OrionVIIonM79
Adding more

3 minutes ago, OrionVIIonM79 said:

#6201 is on the Bx9, and #6037 is on the Bx9 

Those are most likely fill-ins.

39 minutes ago, OrionVIIonM79 said:

#6201 is on the Bx9, #6037 is on the Bx15, #5525 and 5602 are on the Bx1, and MHV 4093 is on the Bx3

Also, 4076, 4798, 3829, 4265, 4075, and 5808 are on the Bx28, #6789 is on the Bx41

1 hour ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Those are most likely fill-ins.

There’s fill-ins and gap buses in quite a few places in the Bx.

Kinda feels like ‘98 all over again where the buses aren’t a complete afterthought up here. Props to NYCT looking out for the bus riders.

3 hours ago, paulrivera said:

That doesn’t seem unusual to me, unless 1209 wasn’t in KB. The M100 runs artics from time to time.

What was unusual to me was seeing 6201 on the Bx9 this morning.

A new XD60 in Nova territory is definitely foreign around these parts.

I mean Gun Hill had XD60’s not too long ago. However, it’s good to see Manhattan helping out BX for a bit. 

Apologies if this was already noted but it seems all of the Electric buses are out of service for now. (0011-20 and 4950 and up)

2 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

Apologies if this was already noted but it seems all of the Electric buses are out of service for now. (0011-20 and 4950 and up)

4950 was in service 2 days ago on the M60, and 4955 was on the M86 yesterday. But, I just checked MTA.info, and there was nothing.

BTW, @4P3607, do you still make signs? I just posted a request, and was wondering if you'd gotten it.

Saw 554 parked over by 31st Street and Ditmars yesterday; wondered what it was doing there. I noticed that the read door had a poster that read (not exact words) "Wheelchair-->Front" everyone else here. The front door had the opposite "Wheelchair board here", everybody else go to the back.

16 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

Saw 554 parked over by 31st Street and Ditmars yesterday; wondered what it was doing there. I noticed that the read door had a poster that read (not exact words) "Wheelchair-->Front" everyone else here. The front door had the opposite "Wheelchair board here", everybody else go to the back.

Thats on (almost) every other bus that Transit has.

• Thumbs Up 1

I saw a kid at Green Acres get arrested by Nassau PD. He ran out the Q85 from the back of the bus, across the ring road and got intercepted at the Walmart Sign. It happened so fast that I didn't notice it. I tried entering the city once or twice but I'm noticing couple arguing in Manhattan over at Far Rockaway. I forgot those ADHD kids are on vegan diets and can now outrun the bus. I expected him to actually make it to the barrier and hop off wall they built around Rosedale.

I saw the B/O for NICE do something that I used to see in the city: Stop the bus at Beach 20th and greeted a passenger with a big hug.

I saw another NICE B/O do something I never see City driver do: the shuttle driver took a smoke break. The kind a parent does when they're about to beat their kid! 

Did a bus ride of the 113 and it's still the same.  

This is all related because it's implied that the city lost a lot of residents who pretty much left for other states. The city lost about 80,000 to 100,000 residents. It's on topic because I am hearing crazy stuff about Manhattanites coming over to South Hampton and Hicksville and ravaging the stores of masks and toilet paper. We can't go to the old days of being filthy.

9 hours ago, NY1635 said:

I saw a kid at Green Acres get arrested by Nassau PD. He ran out the Q85 from the back of the bus, across the ring road and got intercepted at the Walmart Sign. It happened so fast that I didn't notice it. I tried entering the city once or twice but I'm noticing couple arguing in Manhattan over at Far Rockaway. I forgot those ADHD kids are on vegan diets and can now outrun the bus. I expected him to actually make it to the barrier and hop off wall they built around Rosedale.

I saw the B/O for NICE do something that I used to see in the city: Stop the bus at Beach 20th and greeted a passenger with a big hug.

I saw another NICE B/O do something I never see City driver do: the shuttle driver took a smoke break. The kind a parent does when they're about to beat their kid! 

Did a bus ride of the 113 and it's still the same.  

This is all related because it's implied that the city lost a lot of residents who pretty much left for other states. The city lost about 80,000 to 100,000 residents. It's on topic because I am hearing crazy stuff about Manhattanites coming over to South Hampton and Hicksville and ravaging the stores of masks and toilet paper. We can't go to the old days of being filthy.

So that's what we're doing now? Centering jokes around ADHD kids & vegan diets is supposed to be funny?
That doesn't have shit to do with NYC losing residents or some NYC patrons running out to the Hamptons to minimize their chances of getting infected....

A 1 month temp ban obviously wasn't enough....

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 8