BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On 4/22/2020 at 5:33 PM, trainfan22 said:

The 1 year anniversary of the RTS (Remember those!?) retirement is coming up.. it happened in early May.

Crazy to think they have been gone for almost a year now.

On 4/22/2020 at 9:19 PM, Q43LTD said:

I remember it like it was yesterday. There's those videos on you tube

Doesn't seem like it's been a full year, but I'll never forget one of (if not THE) most iconic bus fleets that's ever existed !

"Fishbowls" & RTS >>>>>>> ___________________________

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Idk if it's growing on me, or if the XD60s just make this scheme look so good? 

Only thing thats irking me is the fact that the scheme is streamlined, looks very choppy. There's no natural blend in the colors. I'm also not a fan of the blue over the yellow in the rear of the bus, as well as the the blue stripe in the front of the bus.

But the light blue, dark blue, the clouds, airplanes, and all the branding all looks good. 

2 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Only thing thats irking me is the fact that the scheme is streamlined, looks very choppy. There's no natural blend in the colors. I'm also not a fan of the blue over the yellow in the rear of the bus, as well as the the blue stripe in the front of the bus.

But the light blue, dark blue, the clouds, airplanes, and all the branding all looks good. 

** youtube video **

Whether it's on the XD40's or the XD60's makes no difference to me; skyblue & any darker shade of blue (to me) is a sick color combination... The thing I've always liked about the Q70's branding is the fact that they've included the subway bullets on the buses themselves... It goes hand-in-hand with the fact that the service itself is a point-to-point (bus route)..... The airplane emblem serves as an asset to the whole branding & scheme of it all....

IDK, the way I see it, it's as if the MTA got a taste of yellow fever (Lol) when they started utilizing those old Bee-Line buses about a decade or so ago... Then again, the quote-unquote official state colors of this state is navy blue & gold, so who knows.... Regardless, I'm not fond of including yellow to the color scheme of (any of) our buses, period....

4 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Whether it's on the XD40's or the XD60's makes no difference to me; skyblue & any darker shade of blue (to me) is a sick color combination... The thing I've always liked about the Q70's branding is the fact that they've included the subway bullets on the buses themselves... It goes hand-in-hand with the fact that the service itself is a point-to-point (bus route)..... The airplane emblem serves as an asset to the whole branding & scheme of it all....

IDK, the way I see it, it's as if the MTA got a taste of yellow fever (Lol) when they started utilizing those old Bee-Line buses about a decade or so ago... Then again, the quote-unquote official state colors of this state is navy blue & gold, so who knows.... Regardless, I'm not fond of including yellow to the color scheme of (any of) our buses, period....

Don't forgot the new scheme was Cuomo's idea, and he wanted the state colors on the buses, the navy blue and gold. 

The yellow looks fine on the local scheme, any other scheme its just too tacky. 

8 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Don't forgot the new scheme was Cuomo's idea, and he wanted the state colors on the buses, the navy blue and gold. 

I'll put up with the (R) bullet on the Q70, but to have yellow as part of the color scheme on the city's buses, I don't care for it..... Westchester & Suffolk counties can have it...

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

They did not do that paint right, I can still see the yellow in the back.

7 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I'm used to Command Bus Lines, Jamaica Bus Lines, and Queens Surface, and LIB's old color scheme.

The new color scheme looks good during the day but doesn't show well at night. 

Ever since this whole pandemic became a huge deal and ridership dropped.....I've managed to catch the Q24 every single day since, that has never happened before. Buses have been running on time too, which is amazing.

With my commute changing from taking the Homeless Express(The (E) ) to the LIRR, I've been constantly catching the Q24(and sometimes the Q54 if I wanna pick up some food first) within 5 minutes at Sutphin/Jamaica. The 10:15pm train from Penn Station to Babylon gives me a 7 minute window to get from Jamaica Station to the bus stop, but it comes faster than that sometimes.

Kinda saddening that it takes something like this to have the Q24 operating this good at the very least.

3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Ever since this whole pandemic became a huge deal and ridership dropped.....I've managed to catch the Q24 every single day since, that has never happened before. Buses have been running on time too, which is amazing.

With my commute changing from taking the Homeless Express(The (E) ) to the LIRR, I've been constantly catching the Q24(and sometimes the Q54 if I wanna pick up some food first) within 5 minutes at Sutphin/Jamaica. The 10:15pm train from Penn Station to Babylon gives me a 7 minute window to get from Jamaica Station to the bus stop, but it comes faster than that sometimes.

Kinda saddening that it takes something like this to have the Q24 operating this good at the very least.

I know Jamaica is a mess, but damn. Where's the divide between traffic and dispatching?

4 hours ago, Lex said:

I know Jamaica is a mess, but damn. Where's the divide between traffic and dispatching?

Jamaica is not the only problem with the line. The brooklyn side tends to have its own issues too. Dispatching is terrible as well.

When the Bay Plaza mall was open: The mall was underserved with the Bx12 and all its service gaps and short turns by itself carrying thousands of people per hour.

The Bay Plaza mall closes: The Bx5 expands to daily service, the Bx12 runs with a sense of regularity, and the buses are all empty (at the mall that is; the Fordham end still has its moments since people still need the 12 to go to the different hospitals, but Quill's helping out with some runs.)

Takes a pandemic for the bus side to do all the right things...

14 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Jamaica is not the only problem with the line. The brooklyn side tends to have its own issues too. Dispatching is terrible as well.

In all honesty, the only parts I can think of that (almost) certainly wreck reliability are Jamaica and Broadway Junction. Beyond that, I can guess that traffic is also horrendous, but my unfamiliarity with the route keeps me from thinking anything more than the possibility that the entire route is a slow zone (without even touching dispatching, of course).

18 hours ago, Lex said:

It's called a "bus lane" and people in this city still seem to suddenly develop allergies when one is proposed in their neighborhood.

IDK how people are gonna act fools about buses being stuck in traffic because they have to share it with the rest of the traffic. Dispatching can only help so much if they are not literally standing in the street as human traffic cones.

On 4/16/2020 at 3:47 PM, NY1635 said:

Why is the MTA using Microsoft Office and Windows Vista to announce stops and do busing?

Because some drivers didn’t do it, and a good number of people couldn’t understand the announcements - like with some conductors before the NTTs debuted.

It’s what people call “A good thing” - since it eliminates several problems and aids in drivers/conductors not being interrupted or delayed by answering questions.

That reminds me, it was 3890 I meant to post had those headlights out of MCH. And yeah, a lot of those original-paint NGs from Yukon have those huge numbers. Never understood why so many of SI's buses ended up with those numbers. Same thing happened on the O5s, MCIs, etc. 

22 hours ago, Lex said:

I'd say it's a severe lack of bus lane enforcement; very easy to forget Jamaica (av) even have bus lanes.....

4 hours ago, Lex said:

In all honesty, the only parts I can think of that (almost) certainly wreck reliability are Jamaica and Broadway Junction. Beyond that, I can guess that traffic is also horrendous, but my unfamiliarity with the route keeps me from thinking anything more than the possibility that the entire route is a slow zone (without even touching dispatching, of course).

It's not so much B'way Junction in-particular as much as it is the route's stint on Broadway, leading up to B'way Junction....

The other basic facets that makes the Q24 unreliable is Jamaica proper (as was said) & passenger activity along Atlantic av (makes a lot of quote-unquote intermediate stops, on top of of the so-called major stops).... Traffic is the major contributing factor to the former & exacerbates the latter....

For the hell of it, I rode the B12 to Flatbush, the B41 to Cadman Plaza, the B103 to Utica, (stopped off at the popeyes at Av. H/Utica), and the B46 to Church.... Just got home about 20 mins. or so ago....

B12 was at the (red) light as I was crossing the street (Albany/Clarkson), B41 was right there at Flatbush/Clarkson, waited only 2 minutes for the B103, and after I left the popeyes, I saw the B46 in the distance & said f**k it.... I was prepared to hoof it back home, because typically, I can never catch the B46 during late nights for shit.... But all in all, man, talk about making connections rockn.gif

B41 ride was brutal though.... b/o did that thing where they stop at every stop, even though nobody's getting on or off...

Edited by B35 via Church

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

B41 ride was brutal though.... b/o did that thing where they stop at every stop, even though nobody's getting on or off...

It's crazy seeing little traffic on Flatbush Avenue, I bet those B41 paddles have too much time in between points to be a straight shot, same deal with the B43- normally it's a damn struggle to stay on time on Sundays but the past few weeks have been such a breeze you have no options but to slow it down to avoid getting yelled at.

4 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

It's crazy seeing little traffic on Flatbush Avenue, I bet those B41 paddles have too much time in between points to be a straight shot, same deal with the B43- normally it's a damn struggle to stay on time on Sundays but the past few weeks have been such a breeze you have no options but to slow it down to avoid getting yelled at.

Can't believe dispatch is bitching about being early. It shouldn't be a problem to be 3-5 mins early during times like this. If you're essential you'll be at the stop anyways, not just free roaming around. 

Staten Island on the other hand (best borough to ride buses), got its drivers hauling everywhere. I absolutely love it and I'm pissed I cannot ride these buses right now. I go for jogs and walks and the hauling the drivers are doing is amazing. Thank God for tight paddles and automatically leaving the ferry 5 mins late. The S79 is just a naturally hauling route.

Only route that I've seen sitting at stops is the S53. 

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Can't believe dispatch is bitching about being early. It shouldn't be a problem to be 3-5 mins early during times like this. If you're essential you'll be at the stop anyways, not just free roaming around. 

Staten Island on the other hand (best borough to ride buses), got its drivers hauling everywhere. I absolutely love it and I'm pissed I cannot ride these buses right now. I go for jogs and walks and the hauling the drivers are doing is amazing. Thank God for tight paddles and automatically leaving the ferry 5 mins late. The S79 is just a naturally hauling route.

Only route that I've seen sitting at stops is the S53. 

What does being essential have to do with getting to the stop early? You want a medical staff member to rush their paperwork because their bus operator decided to run 5 minutes early? When transit vehicles are low-frequency, adherence to the schedule is important. They should've rewrote the schedules (and published those schedules for the public) so that the bus operators could take advantage of the lower traffic and passenger loads.

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

What does being essential have to do with getting to the stop early? You want a medical staff member to rush their paperwork because their bus operator decided to run 5 minutes early? When transit vehicles are low-frequency, adherence to the schedule is important. They should've rewrote the schedules (and published those schedules for the public) so that the bus operators could take advantage of the lower traffic and passenger loads.

I definitely agree you on that, which would've been the most logical thing to do. This is going to be going on for quiet some time so fresh schedules from start would've been ideal. 

You're being dramatic with your example of why buses shouldn't run early lol, it's not that serious, but I know where you're coming from. I'm just saying there should be some time of window that's OK. Like 2 min early - 3 mins late. 

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I definitely agree you on that, which would've been the most logical thing to do. This is going to be going on for quiet some time so fresh schedules from start would've been ideal. 

You're being dramatic with your example of why buses shouldn't run early lol, it's not that serious, but I know where you're coming from. I'm just saying there should be some time of window that's OK. Like 2 min early - 3 mins late. 

On Staten Island, besides the north shore routes and the S79, most of the routes on the island are running every 30 minutes or greater for most of the day. There's several routes that are running hourly. Essential workers outside the north shore won't have too many options and may end up coordinating with a specific bus going to/from work because it's the best option. If someone misses that bus because it passed early, then what? It's a much better scenario if the bus is a few minutes late. Having buses run early by any mark would be a great disservice to those people.   

In the other boroughs, the frequencies are better on most lines, but there are still quite a few routes serving hospitals and other locations where essential workers are headed to where the frequencies are low and/or there are no other convenient options to use.