BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

9 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

So someone else around here has a certain level of perception... The service levels wasn't even the first thing I was looking for, it was the runtime... But who cares about adjusting runtimes, when you're releasing schedules for potentially permanent essential service....

Look how long it took for these jokers to realize that the schedule was way too tight for the M55, before they finally did something about it....

After I commented yesterday, I took a look at the schedule again and I saw how they basically gave the Q20 it’s Sunday schedule and just added hourly Q20B service. I was too lazy to go back and edit my post lol. I honestly would not be surprised if this remains somewhat permanent. The only thing I can see them doing is giving the 14th Ave branch service every 30 minutes instead of keeping it hourly. I don’t think people are going to let it slide that easily. 

What I noticed during this pandemic is that  a lot of Q44’s are crowded while the Q20 is empty. But that’s not too surprising because of how slow the Q20 has to run. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I still use the express bus here and there and yes I have experienced the same thing. Some drivers don't want to pick up anybody and get an attitude when people board. Got into a heated discussion in my group yesterday about it. Passenger complained that his QM20 bus went by Not in Service with passengers on the bus, and then turned his sign on and went to Queens. He and a lady had to wait for the next bus.

Yeah, I had one B/O give me a pissed off look when he stopped to pick me up, and I previously told you about the QM31 that turned on the NIS sign and drive past me. On the whole though, I find B/Os are actually saying "you're welcome" or "stay safe" when I get off the bus and thank them more so than in the past (I almost always say thank you, unless the B/O was egregiously bad or something like that) 

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Yeah, I had one B/O give me a pissed off look when he stopped to pick me up, and I previously told you about the QM31 that turned on the NIS sign and drive past me. On the whole though, I find B/Os are actually saying "you're welcome" or "stay safe" when I get off the bus and thank them more so than in the past (I almost always say thank you, unless the B/O was egregiously bad or something like that) 

That should be reported. That is unacceptable. I had a union rep in my advocacy group that was trying to condone such disgusting behavior from College Point, and we gave him the boot. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Just out of curiosity I decided to check out the Essential Service page for Brooklyn buses. Decided to look at the B100 schedule. Decided to take a second look. Couldn't believe my eyes. What neighborhoods does this route connect?  I may be getting older and I don't reside in Brooklyn these days but once a Brooklynite always a Brooklynite ,  or so I was taught by my elders. Perhaps some of my fellow posters see what is bugging me about this particular schedule..

5 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Just out of curiosity I decided to check out the Essential Service page for Brooklyn buses. Decided to look at the B100 schedule. Decided to take a second look. Couldn't believe my eyes. What neighborhoods does this route connect?  I may be getting older and I don't reside in Brooklyn these days but once a Brooklynite always a Brooklynite ,  or so I was taught by my elders. Perhaps some of my fellow posters see what is bugging me about this particular schedule..

Mill Basin to Midwood, passing through Flatlands and Marine Park. It parallels the B2 for a decent part of its route. I think a lot of people in that part of Brooklyn mostly rely on north/south Brooklyn routes like the B41 and B46 and or they drive. The BM1 also runs with the B100 so I’m sure people use that as well over the B100 to the (B) and (Q) 

6 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Mill Basin to Midwood, passing through Flatlands and Marine Park. It parallels the B2 for a decent part of its route. I think a lot of people in that part of Brooklyn mostly rely on north/south Brooklyn routes like the B41 and B46 and or they drive. The BM1 also runs with the B100 so I’m sure people use that as well over the B100 to the (B) and (Q) 

Did you see Mill Basin to Midwood?  I didn't. Maybe my glasses need cleaning. 

Edited by Trainmaster5

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

That's not what he's getting at....

Take a look at the cover page/first page of the schedule: https://new.mta.info/document/16721

Matter fact:

n59LJ2Q.gif

That's some essential coverage fo' yo ass; from the lower-third of Brooklyn to the upper-third of Westchester, shit lol.giflol.gif

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That should be reported. That is unacceptable. I had a union rep in my advocacy group that was trying to condone such disgusting behavior from College Point, and we gave him the boot. 

If you file a report and it turns out the bus operator was actually following orders, then no harm no foul (and it raises the issue to the attention of management. If there really was overcrowding then they know to add another bus at that time). The same with BusTime: If you're doing what you're supposed to, there's no reason to worry about it.

7 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Take a look at the cover page/first page of the schedule: https://new.mta.info/document/16721

Matter fact:

n59LJ2Q.gif

That's some essential coverage fo' yo ass; from the lower-third of Brooklyn to the upper-third of Westchester, shit lol.giflol.gif

Oh wow, now I see it. I guess I’m just as careless as the people who did the schedule cause I skipped right over it. 

8 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Matter fact:

n59LJ2Q.gif

I didn't know you could go from Mill Basin to Millwood for 2.75. Those Westchester residents wouldn't mind an (MTA) vehicle on their side of town. Nimbys be damned 

9 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Matter fact:

n59LJ2Q.gif

wow. how does something like this even happen by accident... letalone, make it to a website or revenue vehicle for public consumption? no system of checks & balances? then again, look at the "organization" in question smhh

Anybody else notice how the manhattan division that’s helping out in The Bronx are not doing full runs they’re short turning, same with some Bronx depots helping other Bronx depots. 

Bx1/bx2 ( covered by MJQ)- Mott haven - Fordham rd 

Bx9 (covered by WF & MCH)-
west farms square  - broadway 225st 

bx15 covered by WF & MCH) - 149 st to Fordham plaza 

bx12 select Bus service (covered by MJQ)  - Pelham bay - University Ave 

bx41 local & select bus service - (covered by local WF, sbs MCH) 149st - Fordham rd 

Edited by Melbx15

4 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

wow. how does something like this even happen by accident... letalone, make it to a website or revenue vehicle for public consumption? no system of checks & balances? then again, look at the "organization" in question smhh

Did u not see my complaints about BusTime? They don't give a F*** about the buses spitting out the wrong stop information, you think they care about an online PDF that barely gets check by the public?

4 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

Also, I would think all it takes is to modify whatever pdf they use with with the new schedule plus whatever fixes they make to the dates and such on the front. So either they remake the pdfs from scratch each time (waste of time is an understatement with all the hidden cuts scattered within each timetable), or someone was tripping. 

37 minutes ago, Melbx15 said:

Anybody else notice how the manhattan division that’s helping out in The Bronx are not doing full runs they’re short turning, same with some Bronx depots helping other Bronx depots. 

bx41 local & select bus service - (covered by local WF, sbs MCH) 149st - Fordham rd 

Well, they are just extras. Also, some of them do return trips when they short turn like on the Bx3. Most of the loans end at Kingsbridge Road, but they make the return trip to Manhattan. As for the Bx9, some of them do make the full trip (A West Farms XN60 made a trip to 262 St last week) and some of them do start at 262 Street instead of 225 Street like most of the loan runs.

32 minutes ago, Melbx15 said:

Actually, some of those Manhattan trips actually DO make the whole trip. Today's Bx12 SBS MJQ runs (#6107 and #6227) went from Bay Plaza to Inwood, and started again at Fordham Plaza heading Bay Plaza. But yeah, most of them are short turns.

If I could fix your list up a bit, the typical weekday trips actually look like this:

Bx1/Bx2 (MJQ) - Mott Haven to and from Fordham Rd 

Bx3 (MHV, MJQ) - Washington Heights to and from Kingsbridge Road (a few trips go up to Riverdale)

Bx4 / A (WF) - Usually interlines with the Bx40 / 42 trips

Bx9 (WF, MCH, OH) - West Farms / Riverdale to and from 225th Street & Bway (The trips will often run from either end of the route to 225th and then go back, or will just make the entire trip)

Bx12 / SBS  (MJQ, MHV) - Usually make the whole trip but some trips end at University Avenue or Fordham Plaza 

Bx15 (WF, OH) - 149 st to and from Fordham plaza 

Bx28 (MHV, MCH) - Co-Op City to and from Norwood, with some trips going all the way to Fordham Center (the first day these loans started, an XD60 from OH ran on the line)

Bx41 / SBS (WF, MCH) - 149st to and from Fordham Plaza

Bx40 / 42 (WF) - Whole route

The weekend loans are a lot more interesting. One weekend, Staten Island did some trips. Another weekend it was Manhattan, and last weekend it was West Farms (an XN40 ran on the Bx7 and on the Bx28).

1 hour ago, Melbx15 said:

I was about to comment something similar to this earlier.

3 hours ago, Melbx15 said:

my understanding is that any depot that agreed to cover Bronx runs agreed not to take full runs (meaning full-time terminal to full-time terminal) or full run pay away from the lines intended depot... which guarantees that KB, GH & WF B/O's won't lose money on runs being assigned to the Quill's/Yukon's/Hale's of the world. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry
DISCLAIMER: I'm simply stating what I've heard in the KB swing room... if I'm inaccurate, and you can speak from a place of intimate/legitimate knowledge, holla at ya boy

20 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

BM1?? Maybe not unless they want to walk to the Cortelyou Station 😂🤣

21 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Don't worry, I reported it. 

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Also, I would think all it takes is to modify whatever pdf they use with with the new schedule plus whatever fixes they make to the dates and such on the front. So either they remake the pdfs from scratch each time (waste of time is an understatement with all the hidden cuts scattered within each timetable), or someone was tripping. 

Or someone hit the "Spell Check" button and pressed "replace" without reading too closely LOL

14 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

I didn't know you could go from Mill Basin to Millwood for 2.75. Those Westchester residents wouldn't mind an (MTA) vehicle on their side of town. Nimbys be damned 

BxM3 & the Yonkers depot?

(I get your point though)

13 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I would say it was a rush-job, but considering what we're dealing with here, I'd say it's closer to carelessness & complacency,...

4 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Or someone hit the "Spell Check" button and pressed "replace" without reading too closely LOL

If it were only possible for the public to "spell check" the MTA.......

10 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Actually, some of those Manhattan trips actually DO make the whole trip. Today's Bx12 SBS MJQ runs (#6107 and #6227) went from Bay Plaza to Inwood, and started again at Fordham Plaza heading Bay Plaza. But yeah, most of them are short turns.

If I could fix your list up a bit, the typical weekday trips actually look like this:

Bx1/Bx2 (MJQ) - Mott Haven to and from Fordham Rd 

Bx3 (MHV, MJQ) - Washington Heights to and from Kingsbridge Road (a few trips go up to Riverdale)

Bx4 / A (WF) - Usually interlines with the Bx40 / 42 trips

Bx9 (WF, MCH, OH) - West Farms / Riverdale to and from 225th Street & Bway (The trips will often run from either end of the route to 225th and then go back, or will just make the entire trip)

Bx12 / SBS  (MJQ, MHV) - Usually make the whole trip but some trips end at University Avenue or Fordham Plaza 

Bx15 (WF, OH) - 149 st to and from Fordham plaza 

Bx28 (MHV, MCH) - Co-Op City to and from Norwood, with some trips going all the way to Fordham Center (the first day these loans started, an XD60 from OH ran on the line)

Bx41 / SBS (WF, MCH) - 149st to and from Fordham Plaza

Bx40 / 42 (WF) - Whole route

The weekend loans are a lot more interesting. One weekend, Staten Island did some trips. Another weekend it was Manhattan, and last weekend it was West Farms (an XN40 ran on the Bx7 and on the Bx28).

West Farms has covered both the Bx1 and the Bx2.

https://thecity.nyc/2020/04/amazon-warehouse-packers-in-staten-island-jam-onto-mta-buses.html?fbclid=IwAR1ILxyBjjDczbGv17QbE-pUtQOc4UVcPdHGJ0pA257IdTTHFSqTZH3sSYI

Headline: Amazon warehouse packers say they’re jammed onto staten island buses

Recently, most S40 buses are packed to/from the warehouse terminal

Edited by Calvin