BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

3 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Whats going on folks. Its been a hot minute since I have posted on the nyct forum. Was on quarantined status and now I'm fully back to work.

B41 today had 2 wild cats service where Articulated buses were in service doing passenger pickups from Kings plaza to Downtown Brooklyn and to Bergen Beach. Expect to see articulated buses at certain time of the day when operation expects more rider ships during certain time peak.

We need a bit more Artics in Flatbush...

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Whats going on folks. Its been a hot minute since I have posted on the nyct forum. Was on quarantined status and now I'm fully back to work.

B41 today had 2 wild cats service where Articulated buses were in service doing passenger pickups from Kings plaza to Downtown Brooklyn and to Bergen Beach. Expect to see articulated buses at certain time of the day when operation expects more rider ships during certain time peak.

Glad to see you're doing well! Thanks for the update on the B41 situation

4 hours ago, Calvin said:

Recently, I'm seeing the B82-SBS to Bensonhurst packed left to right except the B82 to Stillwell Av isn't full like the SBS. 

Well, it operates almost exclusively at 20-minute intervals (unlike the local)...

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

Some don’t work?

There was a discussion last page about OG hybrids not being capable of doing that (all of the OG's at Quill are OOS for this very reason). Just saying there are some OG where the B/O can open the rear door without passenger interference. I have not seen every single 6800 has ENY has in action since the pandemic started lol so I can only comment on the ones I saw.

If anybody is interested, the 65/6600 at ENY have been running since pandemic started, however IDK if it's possible for the B/O to open up the rear doors on those.

Edited by trainfan22

There are super gaps in which overnight service is rolling. For an instance, Look at between 50th St & 18th Ave all the way to Bay Parkway on the (D) . There is no bus service on New Ultrect Ave and on the (N) from 59th and 86th St. Even though the B11 is the only crosstown type, that area is empty.

now look in Manhattan, besides the BM2, BM3 & the X28, which stop nowhere near downtown Brooklyn, for anyone needing to get there, they would have to cramp on the B39 and take any bus from Williamsburg Plaza to get there, unless they have a car. 

look in the Bronx: you do have out of 12 routes that cross into Manhattan, 8 (originally 7) routes operate 24/7, but only Bx7 is short to the original route before the mid 90s extension to Columbia Hospital. There IS a walking distance between 207th & Broadway and 193rd & St. Nick for the M3 or Fort Washington for the M4. 
At least my favorite route is now 24/7 (Bx4, which runs under the 2, 5 & the 6)

the (6)  is the only subway that is fully serviced by 24/7 bus routes. In my view, they should’ve added the Bx33 to the mix. 
the Bx1 has to work the load for passengers of the (D) and the (4) 

Queens was added a little with the Q32, QM6 & the X68. But after 82nd St, you have to walk to Northern Blvd for the Q66, which is the replacement for the (7) 

the (A) train to lefferts Blvd, the closest bus route to it is the Q24 on Atlantic Ave. the Rockaways, Use Q53SBS & the Q22. 

all others (E)(F)(G)(J)(M) and the (N)  are served by 24/7 bus routes. 

31 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

So it look's like the homeless people from the subway overnight are taking up space on the buses meant for essential workers.

Where are they gonna go on the buses? The NYPDTB should be out there to enforce the rules because not too many are gonna be out there especially now that the subways are on a 4 hour break, which is saving money on electric bills. But it also gives them time to complete some of the projects. Are they still doing Fast Track or they stopped that program

13 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

Where are they gonna go on the buses? The NYPDTB should be out there to enforce the rules because not too many are gonna be out there especially now that the subways are on a 4 hour break, which is saving money on electric bills. But it also gives them time to complete some of the projects. Are they still doing Fast Track or they stopped that program

Trains are still running their normal overnight runs when the system is closed to the public. And the station's lights are still on so I'm not sure how the MTA is saving money on electric bills during that small window closure.

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

They should extend Bx39 buses at 11:30(weekends only) 12:00, 12:30, and 1:00am from Gun HIll Road to Clason Point and run them back up from Clason Pt at 12:35, 1:05, and 1:35am to keep some kind of consistent service running since there is a gap in service. Cut the Bx41 buses back to Gun Hill Road completely instead of running them as Bx39 shuttles.

2 hours ago, GreatOne2k said:

They should extend Bx39 buses at 11:30(weekends only) 12:00, 12:30, and 1:00am from Gun HIll Road to Clason Point and run them back up from Clason Pt at 12:35, 1:05, and 1:35am to keep some kind of consistent service running since there is a gap in service. Cut the Bx41 buses back to Gun Hill Road completely instead of running them as Bx39 shuttles.

The Bx39 is running the full route during the overnight hours and is handled by WF

44 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

The Bx39 is running the full route during the overnight hours and is handled by WF

There are still Gun Hill Road buses between 12:00-1:30am (11:30pm-1:30am on weekends), so there are still gaps in service.  After 1:30, there are two Bx39 buses overnight, one goes to Clason Pt, the other goes to Gun Hill Rd and becomes a Bx41

Edited by GreatOne2k

It took a pandemic and subway closure for the MTA to finally advertise (sort of) the express buses...they are sending emails about how they are quick and comfortable to use during the overnight subway shut down. Maybe they hope people will stick with the buses even after the pandemic ends

1 hour ago, GreatOne2k said:

There are still Gun Hill Road buses between 12:00-1:30am (11:30pm-1:30am on weekends), so there are still gaps in service.  After 1:30, there are two Bx39 buses overnight, one goes to Clason Pt, the other goes to Gun Hill Rd and becomes a Bx41

That’s because this weekend hasn’t got here yet. The new overnight service began two days ago

35 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

It took a pandemic and subway closure for the MTA to finally advertise (sort of) the express buses...they are sending emails about how they are quick and comfortable to use during the overnight subway shut down. Maybe they hope people will stick with the buses even after the pandemic ends

True, you got 5 in the Bronx (BxM1, 2, 4, 7 & 11), and three each in Brooklyn (BM2, 3, X28) and Queens (QM6, 17, X68). My question to you is what kind of buses they’re using?

On 5/4/2020 at 4:17 PM, MTADieselBuses said:

So even with articulates and buses running in 5-10 minute intervals during rush hours, we still get packed buses? Poor Church Avenue.

Traffic can result in buses getting stuck at bus stops. Big issue at the E18th stop.

31 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

True, you got 5 in the Bronx (BxM1, 2, 4, 7 & 11), and three each in Brooklyn (BM2, 3, X28) and Queens (QM6, 17, X68). My question to you is what kind of buses they’re using?

Express coaches are still used, except for the QM17. The 17 is using hybrids for some reason.

33 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

1 minute ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Express coaches are still used, except for the QM17. The 17 is using hybrids for some reason.

On a side note, the Q60 has one artic out on the line (#6240 if anyone’s interested)

36 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

That’s because this weekend hasn’t got here yet. The new overnight service began two days ago

Until they redo the schedules the Bx39 is going to have gaps 7 days a week as through service doesn't begin until 1am from 241 St. Northbound service below Gun Hill Road has no service at all for a while.

2 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Probably because of which drivers are available, and the depot situation down there. They are covering the lines with what drivers are available, which may not be from the home depot.

2 hours ago, GreatOne2k said:

Until they redo the schedules the Bx39 is going to have gaps 7 days a week as through service doesn't begin until 1am from 241 St. Northbound service below Gun Hill Road has no service at all for a while.

I don't know what you mean by gaps, but again, this is only temporary overnight service being done on overtime, so there are no gaps to be filled.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8