BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could've swore the TWU fought (as in, filed a lawsuit) against commandeering MTA buses, back during that Occupy Wall Street demonstration.....

In any case, although I could give a damn about any of these protesters, simply put - it's not a city bus driver's place to do the work of a police officer.... Unions protect workers against shit like this.... Had the b/o transported those rioters that got apprehended & got into some accident or something, the NYPD would not be liable..... I mean honestly, NYPD would most certainly feel some type of way if we had vigilante b/o's interfering in any pursuit of some offender of some crime..... I would even argue that the b/o's life would've been further put in danger by transporting those protesters.... I put nothing past NOBODY.

Bus op' did the right thing AFAIC......

39 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Could've swore the TWU fought (as in, filed a lawsuit) against commandeering MTA buses, back during that Occupy Wall Street demonstration.....

In any case, although I could give a damn about any of these protesters, simply put - it's not a city bus driver's place to do the work of a police officer.... Unions protect workers against shit like this.... Had the b/o transported those rioters that got apprehended & got into some accident or something, the NYPD would not be liable..... I mean honestly, NYPD would most certainly feel some type of way if we had vigilante b/o's interfering in any pursuit of some offender of some crime..... I would even argue that the b/o's life would've been further put in danger by transporting those protesters.... I put nothing past NOBODY.

Bus op' did the right thing AFAIC......

the bus operator absolutely did the right thing. not just from a morality standpoint, or for some political message. the comandeering of city buses to perform any law enforcement activities is an outdated process, and should be permanently dismantled. and i'm personally thankful that (to my understanding) TWU stands behind the B/O for not operating that bus. there's no way the operator should face any form of disciplinary retaliation 

2 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

the bus operator absolutely did the right thing. not just from a morality standpoint, or for some political message. the comandeering of city buses to perform any law enforcement activities is an outdated process, and should be permanently dismantled. and i'm personally thankful that (to my understanding) TWU stands behind the B/O for not operating that bus. there's no way the operator should face any form of disciplinary retaliation 

Quite sure the majority (if not literally all) of those cheering that Flatbush op' for not moving that bus, was from a supportive fist-pumping moralistic or political standpoint..... IDGAF about any of that.....

It's not my job.

The (MTA) is NOT in the prison transport business, period.

If the NYPD wants to transport their own officers to a certain area (or use the bus as a staging area) that’s one thing, but a bus operator should never transport any perp on their bus, let alone a bus full of perps. 1. That’s not their job, 2. It’s a safety issue because you have “criminals” on your bus, 3. If the bus gets into an accident while you’re performing duties outside your job description, odds are the NYPD, the MTA, the union will not protect you, and unfortunately you’ll need to find a new line of work.

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Those rickety things would break down halfway to Barclays!

At least they can keep up on the highway. That said, if only a TA bus is available, it should be a diesel or CNG articulated bus on standby for that purpose, using volunteer operators. I understand perfectly why a revenue operator in service wouldn't want to do this duty.

Edited by aemoreira81

54 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

It’s a safety issue because you have “criminals” on your bus,....

Yeah, that - But it's also a safety issue from the standpoint of (the potential for) having protesters hurl shit at the bus, shoot up the bus, firebomb it, or god knows what else.....

No thanks.

1 hour ago, aemoreira81 said:

.......That said, if only a TA bus is available, it should be a diesel or CNG articulated bus on standby for that purpose, using volunteer operators. I understand perfectly why a revenue operator in service wouldn't want to do this duty.

I'll take it a little further - if that was a part of the job description, I wouldn't sign up for it..... Transporting thousands of perpetually disgruntled civilians back & forth from work/school/recreation per day, in this city, is draining/taxing enough......

As far as the initial sentiment, given that stipulation, I suppose - but I'm looking at from the angle of *it isn't the MTA's problem if the NYPD's ill-prepared or ill-equipped for some mission*....

6 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

At least they can keep up on the highway. That said, if only a TA bus is available, it should be a diesel or CNG articulated bus on standby for that purpose, using volunteer operators. I understand perfectly why a revenue operator in service wouldn't want to do this duty.

No bus operator should ever operate a bus commandeered by the police with detainees on board--ever. That is not in the job description. Point blank end of discussion.

If anyone follows Mike (era__vulgaris) on IG, he posted a pic of a hybrid (probably a FP unit) that was hit with anti-MTA graffiti. (At least with the new buses, the side livery is shrink-wrap and could be peeled off and replaced.)

Might it be time to go with BUSmark livery that could be replaced? That is, buses are only painted white (express and local without USB ports), or blue (local with USB ports), and then the appropriate livery is applied. If someone vandalizes the livery, it could simply be peeled off and replaced with fresh BUSmark.

Edited by aemoreira81

24 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

Might it be time to go with BUSmark livery that could be replaced? That is, buses are only painted white (express and local without USB ports), or blue (local with USB ports), and then the appropriate livery is applied. If someone vandalizes the livery, it could simply be peeled off and replaced with fresh BUSmark.

That's literally what the new livery is.

19 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

If anyone follows Mike (era__vulgaris) on IG, he posted a pic of a hybrid (probably a FP unit) that was hit with anti-MTA graffiti. (At least with the new buses, the side livery is shrink-wrap and could be peeled off and replaced.)

I couldn’t find their post. Was it a 2004/05 hybrid or a 2009?

Interesting news. The Bronx Local, Limited and Select Bus Routes went back to regular Weekday service today.

Please be advised:

Bx20 and Bx36 LTD will be running. (Rush hours only)

Bx15 LTD will be running today as well, which means the Bx15 Local will be running between Fordham Plaza and The Hub.

The Bx5 is running between Southern Blvd and either White Plains Rd or Pelham Bay Park. There is no service to Bay Plaza.

The Bx22 is running between Castle Hill and Fordham or to Bedford Park.

I don’t know if the Express Routes went back to normal. I’ll check later.

41 minutes ago, Mpn4179 said:

Interesting news. The Bronx Local, Limited and Select Bus Routes went back to regular Weekday service today.

Please be advised:

Bx15 LTD will be running today as well, which means the Bx15 Local will be running between Fordham Plaza and The Hub.

The Bx5 is running between Southern Blvd and either White Plains Rd or Pelham Bay Park. There is no service to Bay Plaza.

Staten Island will resume regular service next week (June 7th).

Most of the express bus lines already were running regular service with some missing buses. Just a question of when the lines with modified service will resume. Guessing next week as well, since Phase 1 starts on June 8th.

2 hours ago, Mpn4179 said:

Please be advised:

Ok, here's the latest, as I just got off of a conference call with the (MTA) : There is nothing formally announced yet in terms of being posted on the website or any press releases. The expectation is that there will be an announcement in the coming days. I can confirm the following though from reliable sources:

-The BxM6, BxM7, BxM8, BxM9 and BxM10 are scheduled to resume regular service on June 8th (technically June 7th, since they will just run the usual Sunday schedule then).

-Staten Island is going back to regular schedules on June 7th.

-The BxM1, BxM2, BxM3, BxM4, BxM11 and BxM18 never went to modified schedules, so the only question is will trips be filled that have gone missing recently. The same is true for most lines in Queens. The others that were on modified schedules will likely return to regular service as well around the same time noted above.

-X27, X28, X37, X38 and BM service is also pending in terms of going back to a regular schedule.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

55 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Ok, here's the latest, as I just got off of a conference call with the (MTA) : There is nothing formally announced yet in terms of being posted on the website or any press releases. The expectation is that there will be an announcement in the coming days. I can confirm the following though from reliable sources:

-The BxM6, BxM7, BxM8, BxM9 and BxM10 are scheduled to resume regular service on June 8th (technically June 7th, since they will just run the usual Sunday schedule then).

-Staten Island is going back to regular schedules on June 7th.

-The BxM1, BxM2, BxM3, BxM4, BxM11 and BxM18 never went to modified schedules, so the only question is will trips be filled that have gone missing recently. The same is true for most lines in Queens. The others that were on modified schedules will likely return to regular service as well around the same time noted above.

-X27, X28, X37, X38 and BM service is also pending in terms of going back to a regular schedule.

Thank you for that update. I greatly appreciate it.

I’m guessing that the Bx23 and Q50 LTD will go back to normal as well on June 7 since these are the only two routes that are still on modified schedule in the Bronx with the rest of the Express routes at Eastchester Depot.

I wonder how buses are boarding at 165th Bus terminal considering that ppl can't go though the front door? 165th is a tight fit and the doors on most buses that stop there open outward, must be a hassle I'd imagine. Also wondered how they handled wheelchair operations at 165th when RTS's were still around.