BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Update on express bus service:

SIM service, X27, X28 service suspended. BM service running for now, but could be suspended as protests move around in Manhattan.

All other express bus service is running for now. Unclear what will happen with overnight express bus service. SIM riders may be taken to the SI Ferry. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a true mess in lower Manhattan.

In addition to SiM service not leaving Staten Island (besides buses already off the island) and X27/8 service suspended...

• Northbound B41 service ends at Grand Army Plaza.
  • Westbound B45, B54, and B65 service ends at Vanderbilt Avenue.
  • Westbound B54 service ends at Vanderbilt Avenue
  • Westbound B60 service ends at Union Avenue
  • Northbound B63 service ends at 9 Street
  • Northbound B67 service ends at Union Street (B69 service is likely diverted to Union Street there)

While not listed, I have to imagine that the B25, B26, B38. and B52 are ending at Vanderbilt as well, with westbound B57 and southbound B62 service ending at Sands Street (Farragut Houses).

With the situation on Fordham Road, I cannot imagine that the Bx12 (and Bx12 SBS) is running west of the Fordham Metro-North station, and I would be surprised if these aren't also in effect:

• Bx1 and Bx2: operate via the main road from 188 Street to Kingsbridge Road (Fordham Road and 192 Street stops missed)
  • Bx9: detoured to Bedford Park Boulevard (entering Southern Boulevard at Bedford Park), bypassing Fordham completely.
  • Bx22: ends at Boston Road and Pelham Parkway
  • Bx28: ends at Bedford Park (4) 
  • Bx34: ends at Bedford Park Boulevard

On the subway side, both the (D) and (4) are bypassing Fordham Road.

Edited by aemoreira81

Jesus Christ it is bad in midtown. This is like something out of a horror movie. I barely got back to Queens as this all went to hell, and Herald square was already a disaster zone. Since I still need to be working in the hospitals tomorrow evening, I’ll be taking a cab back home. Not even gonna try to deal with the express buses. What a f***ing nightmare 

Some Updates on Bus Service Suspensions:

Brooklyn:

PART SUSPENDED  Posted: 06/01/2020 12:00AM

Kings Plaza-bound B2, B3, B9, B41, B46/SBS and B47 buses will end service prior to Kings Plaza due to NYPD activity in that area. 

• B2 buses: Terminates at E 36 St
  • B3 buses: Terminates Coleman St
  • B9 buses: Terminates at Flatbush Ave and Avenue L. 
  • B41 buses: Terminates at 71 St and Veterans Ave.
  • B46 and B46-SBS buses: Terminates at Fillmore St
  • B47 buses: Terminate at East 60 St. 

PART SUSPENDED  Posted: 06/01/2020 10:10PM

There is no B41 or B41-Ltd bus service between Flatbush Av/Empire Blvd and Downtown Brooklyn because of protests in the Downtown Brooklyn area.

DETOURS  Posted: 06/01/2020 11:21PM

B25, B26, B38, B41, B45, B52, B57, B61, B63, B65 and B67 buses are delayed in both directions and will end at various locations because of protests in Downtown Brooklyn. 

•  B45 terminates at Atlantic Ave/Vanderbilt Ave
  •  B54 terminates at Myrtle Ave/Vanderbilt St
  •  B63 terminates at 5th Ave/9th St
  •  B65 terminates at 7th Ave/Union St
  •  B67 terminates at 7th Ave Union St

Express:

SUSPENDED  Posted: 06/01/2020  8:07PM

X27 and X28 bus service is suspended in both directions because of protests near City Hall.

PART SUSPENDED  Posted: 06/01/2020  8:06PM

Staten Island-bound SIM1C, SIM3C, SIM4C, and SIM33C buses are suspended because of protests at City Hall.

Manhattan-bound SIM1C, SIM3C, SIM4C, and SIM33C buses will drop customers off at the Staten Island Ferry.

DETOURS  Posted: 06/01/2020 10:59PM

X68 buses are detoured in both directions because of protests along 6 Ave between 34 St and 57 St. 

While detoured:

Eastbound buses will travel along 3 Av and resume its regular route at 57 St. 

Westbound buses end service at 3 Ave and 57 St. 

All corresponding stops will be made as requested along 3 Ave. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was bypassing Lower Manhattan (via the FDR) not an option at least for the X27 and X28?

9 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Jesus Christ it is bad in midtown. This is like something out of a horror movie. I barely got back to Queens as this all went to hell, and Herald square was already a disaster zone. Since I still need to be working in the hospitals tomorrow evening, I’ll be taking a cab back home. Not even gonna try to deal with the express buses. What a f***ing nightmare 

I'm in a situation where I need to go outside to get my license to start working in a hospital too. I feel for those people I have temporarily left (in between internship and work).

2 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

I'm in a situation where I need to go outside to get my license to start working in a hospital too. I feel for those people I have temporarily left (in between internship and work).

From what I have heard, the rioters and looters are actually out of state residents or from Upstate. They're deliberately targeting luxury stores on Fifth, Sixth, Lexington and Madison Avenue from Soho up until Queesboro Bridge. Among the people arrested were a furloughed lawyer and friend going full Sacko and Vanzetti, and the mayor's own daughter. 

12 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Looks like the Bx12 is only running between Southern Boulevard and Bay Plaza or Edson Avenue. This is also problematic because Inwood in a while will have no transit service whatsoever, with the exception of the BxM1.

The MTA should extend the Bx7 down to 168 Street as an alternative.

Seen a photo of 5252 on the Bx4A. The front numbers have somewhat of an Arial Narrow look font by the headlights. Also has the white MTA logo reading in a black square. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

For those keeping score, the Bx12 buses (both of them) are bunching like crazy, for obvious reasons.

Back to normal on the bus side, but on a more serious note the looting last night was ridiculous.

Be prepared. They were STILL looting along Fordham Road this morning. People in Inwood are on edge because rumors are flying that they want to loot around Dyckman. Broadway by 231st were destroyed last night and the 50th told all of the shop owners to board up and close shop. We're on edge here uphill in Riverdale because there are agitators saying that they shouldn't be looting in Fordham, but rather areas that Riverdale. 

From the mta.info updates, SIM1C, SIM3C, SIM4C and SIM33C routes: "Buses will make all Staten Island stops and bring customers to the Ferry." Does it mean it stops along St. George Ferry terminal for ferry connection or that it goes through the Verazano Bridge and Battery Tunnel making just one stop in Manhattan by Bowling Green Station? 

28 minutes ago, Calvin said:

From the mta.info updates, SIM1C, SIM3C, SIM4C and SIM33C routes: "Buses will make all Staten Island stops and bring customers to the Ferry." Does it mean it stops along St. George Ferry terminal for ferry connection or that it goes through the Verazano Bridge and Battery Tunnel making just one stop in Manhattan by Bowling Green Station? 

Buses will not leave Staten Island. Instead, they will go up Bay Street (SIM3C/33C), Targee/Van Duzer (SIM1C), or the Terrace (SIM4C) to the ferry. 

In addition, in Brooklyn Division, there is no bus service into Downtown Brooklyn.

• B25, B26, B38, B45, B52, B54, and B65 westbound service terminates at Vanderbilt Avenue. (Not all listed on website)
  • B41 northbound service terminates at the Brooklyn Public Library at Grand Army Plaza.
  • B57 westbound and B62 southbound service terminate at the Farragut Houses.
  • B63 northbound service terminates at 9th Street
  • B67 northbound service terminates at Union Street (B69 service is unaffected, but the last northbound departure is 9 PM and return at 9:45 PM).

In the Bronx Division:

• Bx12 SBS and Bx29...buses are not servicing Bay Plaza, and are instead terminating in Co-op City Section 5.
  • Bx38: not servicing Bay Plaza, instead operating in Co-op City via 1-2-3-4-5, ending at Erskine Place.
  • BxM4: detoured via Webster Avenue between Tremont Avenue and Bedford Park Boulevard.

Manhattan Division: too numerous to list.

Queens Division:

• Spring Creek express routes: via Lexington Avenue
  • College Point and JFK express routes: via Lexington Avenue
  • Q22 and QM17: eastbound service starts and ends from St. John's Epi
  • Q60: all service on the main road.

Amazingly, the B103 is running on normal route. (I include the B103 here because Spring Creek is within Queens Division.)

All Brooklyn, Bronx, and Queens express bus service has been suspended.

SUSPENDED  Posted: 06/02/2020  9:38PM

There is no Brooklyn express bus service in both directions because of ongoing protests in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

SUSPENDED  Posted: 06/02/2020  9:35PM

There is no Queens express bus service in both directions because of ongoing protests in Manhattan and Queens.

SUSPENDED  Posted: 06/02/2020  9:31PM

There is no Bronx express bus service in both directions because of ongoing protests in Manhattan and the Bronx.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

9 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

All Queens and Bronx express bus service has been suspended.

There is no Queens express bus service in both directions because of ongoing protests in Manhattan and Queens.

There is no Bronx express bus service in both directions because of ongoing protests in Manhattan and the Bronx.

Queens Express or Queens? The tweet from @NYCTBus says Queens bus only.

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

All Brooklyn, Bronx, and Queens express bus service has been suspended.

SUSPENDED  Posted: 06/02/2020  9:38PM

There is no Brooklyn express bus service in both directions because of ongoing protests in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

This is totally outdated. Service was suspended well before this. We noted that service was suspended by 7:45pm. Ridiculous that they post this two hours later. Worst of all they confirmed that they are still charging $6.75 for the express bus on Staten Island, which is only carrying passengers to the Ferry.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

This is totally outdated. Service was suspended well before this. We noted that service was suspended by 7:45pm. Ridiculous that they post this two hours later. Worst of all they confirmed that they are still charging $6.75 for the express bus on Staten Island, which is only carrying passengers to the Ferry.

The bustime website is a mess too. It says "all queens bus service is suspended" but also lists an outdated QM7 detour